• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Executive to Presidential to Chairman?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone moved up from Executive to Presidential or Chairman?
Did you notice much of a difference. I am lifetime Titanium so that is not that big of a deal.
With prices low, trying to decide if I want to move up.

Thanks

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went up a number of years ago. The difference for me was a 30% bonus in points. i.e., I cancel and rebook when I get to the 60 day mark so it takes 30% less points. While it's only 5% better than executive, you get 30 days before executive. Some work involved, I suppose no guarantee, but, that was a premium I wanted. I also liked the 18 months usage for booked points for Presidential, and, for me, Titanium did matter as I was not.

fdough1

Reaction score
I moved to Chairman level about two years ago. I think the single biggest change is the 13 month window. Which is very helpful when trying to book.

Other than that I don’t see much other benefit. My biggest disappointment is that Chairman Club members get no preference on rooms when you check in.

Would I do it again? Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
What did you mean by "with prices low..." Did the price per point drop or something due to covid-19?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I moved to Chairman level about two years ago. I think the single biggest change is the 13 month window. Which is very helpful when trying to book.

Executive has 13 months also.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
What did you mean by "with prices low..." Did the price per point drop or something due to covid-19?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Marriott has been waiving right of first refusal on sales as low as .76 per point. Previously, Marriott exercised its right of first refusal option on sales of about $4.00 per point. So now seems to be a good time to buy.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went from Exec to Pres and the to me the value was worth it. I'd do it again. Going from Pres to Chairman has a smaller difference. There's very little incentive to make this jump.
What was the biggest advantage. Need to make the case to the CFO :)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was the biggest advantage. Need to make the case to the CFO :)

For me, 30% discount on reservations within 60 days. If you have 10,000 points, it's as if you have 13,000 points.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I went from Exec to Pres and the to me the value was worth it. I'd do it again. Going from Pres to Chairman has a smaller difference. There's very little incentive to make this jump.

Agree with Steven. I'm at Presidential with approximately 11.5k DC Enrolled Pts from my 3 enrolled weeks. I'm hoping one day MVCI will allow me to enroll my 2 Hawaii resale weeks at a reasonable cost, to put me into Chairman's. In the meantime...I just don't see enough value in Chairman's to make any form of additional investment worth it.

Although, it is somewhat tempting to grab 3,500 DC Pts at less than $1/pt with no ROFR. If only Marriott's junk fees weren't $3/pt :( . It's probably a $15k invest to purchase, hope ROFR passes, and then an additional $2k+ in annual maintenance fees. Any chance MVCI will reduce their junk fees? One can hope.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest points purchase to pass ROFR was at $0.76...
I'm at Presidential w/ 1 week (enrolled) and DC points. Not much interest in getting to Chairman. Very good inventory of points in account currently (i.e., we haven't borrowed heavily against future). Won't be able to start aggressively using points until we retire (JAN 2024 earliest).

Given the maintenance fees and those parameters, is there still value in picking up some cheap points during this unusual time?

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
We went from Executive -> Presidential -> Chairman's over a period of 5-Years.
Enrolled-Resale -> Hybrid-Purchase [Week + Points] -> Points to get to Chairmans.
Agree that there is no benefit going from Presidential to Chairmans. Only delta being 2-Years to use Banked-Options.

We see the 30% Bonus as being of value only if we can use the residual.
E.g. If I book something for 3000 and within 60-Days Cancel + Rebook for 2100, I am left with 900 Restricted-Points unless I increase the #-Days for the stay. However, this is not easy with airfare already booked and other plans.

One benefit of making Chairman's could be a future value when Marriott + Vistana TS's are integrated.
Since we are 5-Star with Vistana + Chairman's with Marriott not sure where we land with the merged TS-System.
Heard rumors that Marriott was contemplating a new Level with an intention of keeping the population at the highest level under 2%.
However, this is an unknown.

The best value we were offered by Marriott was a Hybrid-Sale.
Although the price was steep, it was very tempting from long term carrying cost.
E.g. Marriott Residences Tahoe [Fixed-Christmas-Week]: 12100-DCP $50K + 3000-DCP: $30K = $80K for 15100-DCP or $5.30/DCP.
The benefit of this transaction was the Annual-MF. WEEK: $1500 + DCP: $1800 = $3300/Year for accruing 15100-DCP/Year a savings of $6K/Year in MF.

Half of our annual DCP accrual comes from Deeded-Weeks that we enrolled or purchased via Hybrid Marriott-Direct.
Prefer the Deeded-Weeks as the MF are much lower.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We see the 30% Bonus as being of value only if we can use the residual.
E.g. If I book something for 3000 and within 60-Days Cancel + Rebook for 2100, I am left with 900 Restricted-Points unless I increase the #-Days for the stay. However, this is not easy with airfare already booked and other plans.

Yes, it depends where you go and how many times. Being that I traveled over 90 nights last year, it was trivial to use the holding account points. As you said, we have never used them to extend the trip we cancelled and rebooked for as there are other plans in place.

There are several ways to rebook. Safest is to start a points reservation (it's now on hold) then cancel, then complete the on hold one. In this manner, you are only left with 30% holding account points instead of all of them.

We simply use them at the next stay, or, in Branson virtually any time of year.

If it's past July, we borrow the points to make the reservation. So, for a August 2021 reservation being made in August 2020, we'd use 2022 points. That way, when we cancel and rebook, they are holding account points we have all of 2022 to use. But we've never come close to not being able to use them. There are so many places you can book within 60 days in any given year. But, if you are tied to a school schedule, it's much harder indeed. Definitely not for everyone.

I have a spreadsheet of sightings by month for within 30 day bookings (executive), didn't keep one for within 60 days (presidential). Minimum was 1BR, i.e. didn't count studios. Over the course of a year, there was within 30 day availability for at least one full week for:

Newport Coast
All Palm Desert
Canyon Villas
All Lake Tahoe, including Ritz
All Colorado including Ritz
All Florida
All Hawaii
Branson
Vegas
New Jersey
All South Carolina
All Utah
Williamsburg
France
All Spain
All Thailand
Australia
Bail
All Aruba
St Kitts

In short, virtually every MVCI was available at one point in the year within 30 days of reservation. So, if you are very flexible, it's trivial to use those holding account points. Obviously, not all of these are high season, but many are. You'd be very surprised unless you watch it daily. Honestly, I was shocked as I didn't think it would turn out that way. This was done 2 years ago before any virus impacts;.

Last edited: