• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The [Interval] Thrill is Gone

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I'm a Desert Springs weeks owner and I primarily do manual trading in II. I was lucky enough to get in a trip to Maui earlier this year before all the crazy happened, but had to cancel Aruba in June. My next official trip is Newport after Thanksgiving because I had to do something with the cancelled week. In the spirit of great timing, my last trip to any airport was March 15 to do the interview and get my Global Entry. Grand plans I had for our anniversary this year but now I'm hesitant to book anything for 2020 that requires air travel and especially not international. What I would normally be spending my early weekend mornings doing is searching II to find the perfect trade, looking for bulk deposits, re-trading for a better unit, etc. I really miss that. I didn't realize how addicting it was to anticipate and plan those trips. My other goal this year was to fly enough miles to upgrade my status but I don't think that's going to be happening either. Maybe Maui in December?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I feel your pain. I was (am) totally addicted to searching II, catching sightings here, and planning trips. Going on vacation is my favorite thing to do and it gives me something to look forward to. This is rough. I would have been leaving tomorrow for St. Thomas. I’m supposed to be going to Aruba in July. I did manage to move my week from St. Thomas to Feb break at Ko Olina which I thought was a good score. Who knows when we will actually be able to travel again? I hope you can take that anniversary trip after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed exchanging thru II.
But when do you feel it will be safe to travel again, especially if you are over 60 years old?

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I have enjoyed exchanging thru Interval over the last 13 years..getting great exchanges by being patient and very flexible....I also have enjoyed participating in the forums on the II website and have learned a lot from other posters there over the years.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll join in......it really isn't any fun at the moment searching for that great exchange for you or for someone else. Especially when you know you are not going to pull the trigger on anything you find.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yep -isn't it the truth. Now I have weeks that I need to book and I'm not even searching. I have no idea where we would even go. Our next trip planned is in August (Hawaii) - who knows if that will happen, then Tahoe in Oct - at least it's a driving trip but again, will they be open for business? November is supposed to be in Palm Desert and again, driving distance, so we will go if the resort is open.

Our hobbies are traveling and hiking. Now we have nothing to do! I do love refinishing furniture but I haven't done it in a few years. OMG my back is absolutely killing me. It's lucky that I will have a lot of free weekends for the foreseeable future because my project may take longer than I planned. At least I will have something crossed off of my to-do list.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed exchanging thru II.
But when do you feel it will be safe to travel again, especially if you are over 60 years old?

great question. I want to travel As soon As this summer but will likely try to keep it to driving destinations for a while. Long term will people will adjust their travel habits to avoid a cyclical outbreak?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
great question. I want to travel As soon As this summer but will likely try to keep it to driving destinations for a while. Long term will people will adjust their travel habits to avoid a cyclical outbreak?

Yeah, my plan as well. I don't see any great reason to avoid driving destinations. What you do while there however, I can see avoiding some (many) things. Assuming the forecast models are actually anywhere close to reality.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Well. We have a bunch of Hyatt points in II, on account of needing to cancel our 3BR oceanview Hyatt Ka’anapali week.

Our trip after that was supposed to be Park City at Marriott Mountainside on DC points for 5 days just before Labor Day, then Sun Valley for Labor Day weekend for a bike race.

The bike race is such a big event, I doubt it will happen and I’m not interested in devoting a bunch of training time to a maybe. So I decided the race was off and we wanted to stay in Park City over Labor Day instead.

Slim pickings in II until this morning, when a 2BR Mountainside unit popped up with my desired Friday of Labor Day weekend check in.

Hopefully we are traveling by then. But... I got my exchange buzz.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well. We have a bunch of Hyatt points in II, on account of needing to cancel our 3BR oceanview Hyatt Ka’anapali week.

Our trip after that was supposed to be Park City at Marriott Mountainside on DC points for 5 days just before Labor Day, then Sun Valley for Labor Day weekend for a bike race.

The bike race is such a big event, I doubt it will happen and I’m not interested in devoting a bunch of training time to a maybe. So I decided the race was off and we wanted to stay in Park City over Labor Day instead.

Slim pickings in II until this morning, when a 2BR Mountainside unit popped up with my desired Friday of Labor Day weekend check in.

Hopefully we are traveling by then. But... I got my exchange buzz.

that’s my favorite time in Park City. Big labor (miners) day celebration then the crowd thins but everything still open. Great hiking weather. Perfect

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Our trips for the summer will be driving trips. We had to cancel Aruba in June (Southwest cancelled the flight), but we had decided that flying might not be in our best interest right now. I was able to get an exchange to Hilton Head in July and am hoping that we will be able to go. I have one more week to use by the end of December, so I am still looking.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
that’s my favorite time in Park City. Big labor (miners) day celebration then the crowd thins but everything still open. Great hiking weather. Perfect

We’re going for the mountain biking. Went two years ago in July and loved it. Labor Day was subsequently suggested, so this year (hopefully) we’re trying that.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
We had to cancel St Maarten 2 weeks ago; waiting it out to rebook. Can’t wait though...

But all the folks heading to Park City; that’s where we live and we are somewhat locked down at the moment. Great time of year you’re planning, maybe we can have a toast while you’re here, 6’ apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'm in the same boat as all of the rest of you. I have typically been checking ii a couple of times a day and - - as a result - - getting decent exchanges. But right now, I've moved out my April, May and June exchanges and am not fully committed to my August, Sept and December exchanges. When I get close to the Flexchange point, I may cancel those, based on Covid infection rates.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a early deposit early request (the party line) believer for many years and it serves me well. I did just that to get a MFC March week for with my gold MFC week (As I do every year). This year I added a twist That I have used 2-3 times over the years. Once confirmed I made an abutting points resy at St. Croix Renaissance. I purchase tickets round trip to St. Thomas for entire window but waited to buy inter-island airfare. Then, I placed an II request using a MMC 1 bdr. It was confirmed within the 60 day window so no upgrade fee imposed. cancelled my points resy and away we go. Funny thing is, although it was the plan I will miss St. Croix. It does not seem to be the most popular Caribbean local but I love it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I’ve been a early deposit early request (the party line) believer for many years and it serves me well. I did just that to get a MFC March week for with my gold MFC week (As I do every year). This year I added a twist That I have used 2-3 times over the years. Once confirmed I made an abutting points resy at St. Croix Renaissance. I purchase tickets round trip to St. Thomas for entire window but waited to buy inter-island airfare. Then, I placed an II request using a MMC 1 bdr. It was confirmed within the 60 day window so no upgrade fee imposed. cancelled my points resy and away we go. Funny thing is, although it was the plan I will miss St. Croix. It does not seem to be the most popular Caribbean local but I love it.
That's interesting that you have good success trading a Gold MFC for a Platinum MFC. I had been under the impression (perhaps misguided) that Platinum MFC was one of the hardest trades in the system. Have other TUGgers been able to trade successfully into Platinum MFC? And I think the Gold for Platinum is even better, although I would think the Like for Like helps (2BR to 2BR).

Enjoy your trip and I'm looking forward to my next trip to STT, whenever that is.....

Best,

Greg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not heard from the OP since, April 11, 2020. Is the thrill still gone?

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. yes, my trades have been consistently successful. I bought pre-construction and have traveled in platinum season all but once while using MFC weeks at MFC ~80% Of the time. Years ago when I first purchases MMC, the salesman told me there is resort owner preference in addition to the Marriott to Marriott preference within II. I don’t know if it’s true, or if so, the weighting, but maybe that helps. I also believe, based on my trading experiences, (but with no evidence) that many II traders are risk averse when it come to vacation planning. Patience, faith and a satisfactory backup plan are the secret. But you are correct that it’s always a like for like. The down side of owning a non-lockoff

then again, maybe it’s just an easy trade and I over think things!

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I don't know about you guys but I'm LOADED with points, miles, and available exchanges so the next 14 months are going to be... thrilling.
Me too. So many weeks to deposit, probably will have a bunch at the end of the summer again that don't get used. I also have a lot of airlines miles to use. I never thought I would have so many miles built up.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We deposited many weeks last year with all the cancellations.
We were able to get most confirmed by Interval as exchanges for this year, but signs are not looking too encouraging for those either now.
The longer that travel restrictions continue, especially International travel for those of us living in Europe, the more the backlog of unused weeks builds and the opportunities for use reduces sadly.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We deposited many weeks last year with all the cancellations.
We were able to get most confirmed by Interval as exchanges for this year, but signs are not looking too encouraging for those either now.
The longer that travel restrictions continue, especially International travel for those of us living in Europe, the more the backlog of unused weeks builds and the opportunities for use reduces sadly.
Yeah, it's tough on you folks across the pond, as you're completely reliant on air travel to use the system. :(

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
if points stack up, it might be a good opportunity for the Ritz