• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Saving 2020 HGVC Club points into 2021

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would also be a nice gesture if they let owners trade unused 2020 points for 2021 maint fees, at a more favorable rate than bonus points.

Problem is that If they take that route WHO is gonna pay for the MF then?

With all the freebees, free booking in 2021, free double saving 2019 points to 2021, free cancellations, cant sell anything direct (currently only)HGV is not making that much money on fees etc. Sure they make some money but they also have shareholders to satisfy, employees to pay etc.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

With all the freebees, free booking in 2021, free double saving 2019 points to 2021, free cancellations, cant sell anything direct (currently only)HGV is not making that much money on fees etc. Sure they make some money but they also have shareholders to satisfy, employees to pay etc.

It would be interesting to know what insurance coverage the resorts have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I honestly don’t think anything covers this. The resort of course have fire insurance but people being unable or not allowed to checkin due to a factor not caused by the resort or anyone else I don’t think is covered. You could also argue that each resort is not losing money because everything is paid by owners.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I thought I read somewhere (maybe in a newsletter from HGV) where they stated they didn't expect any insurance coverage, which makes sense -- I would highly doubt businesses would carry pandemic insurance (it certainly isn't covered under "normal" insurance such as liability, fire / wind, etc.).

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I thought I read somewhere (maybe in a newsletter from HGV) where they stated they didn't expect any insurance coverage, which makes sense...

What? They didn't buy cancellation insurance like they push on us?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Remember HGV have to follow the laws of timeshares and without knowing them I assume each state have their own set of and those with the strictest rules will be the one that will “fit” all.
Someday I would like to meet the timeshare police that enforce the laws of timeshares.
:shrug:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Someday I would like to meet the timeshare police that enforce the laws of timeshares.

They're also the mattress police who track who's removing tags from mattresses.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
:shrug:
Sarcastic or not there are rules and laws to be followed and HGVC knows that. HGVC wont risk not following the rules.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

You are correct. We can expect a nice high raise in the member fees as well as other fees in 2021 and or 2022. I know that the Condo we own has mentioned in a Board Meeting that if a number of owners don't pay their Association Fees the Association will have to make up for it with higher Association Fees are the other owners!

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Being closed, some costs go down. It is also possible to do renovation work that would otherwise cause closures. Last time I was at HCNY, the floor the lounge is on was closed for work. If they are smart, they will utilize some of the downtime to do things difficult to do when fully booked.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Being closed, some costs go down. It is also possible to do renovation work that would otherwise cause closures. Last time I was at HCNY, the floor the lounge is on was closed for work. If they are smart, they will utilize some of the downtime to do things difficult to do when fully booked.

They will be repainting the exterior of Lagoon tower while it is shut down.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

In some area, such as where i live, things like remodeling and construction are banned activities so i imagine that would limit HGV or any companies ability to renovate during the SIP. Of course whats banned varies quite a bit from location to location.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In some area, such as where i live, things like remodeling and construction are banned activities so i imagine that would limit HGV or any companies ability to renovate during the SIP. Of course whats banned varies quite a bit from location to location.

Yeah, I guess I hadn't seen much going on when walking around, although usually it's pretty low key here. Landscaping and such, though, are still in full swing. Leaf blowers and hedge trimmers galore :)

Cheers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

As far as I know, there are no such restrictions in Hawaii on construction. I live in San Diego and construction isn't banned. I just finished a remodel on my house.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

As long as employees still get paid most operating costs remain the same. However costs of housekeeping utilities will go down but that is not a big cost on the budget I think.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
As long as employees still get paid most operating costs remain the same. However costs of housekeeping utilities will go down but that is not a big cost on the budget I think.

Housekeeping is a massive cost especially in union states.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I have trips currently booked in 2020 using 2020 points. I pay to auto save my remaining 2020 points now. Then I end up cancelling one of my 2020 reservations. When I cancel the 2020 reservation using 2020 points, will those then be auto saved or will I have to pay again to save them?
Officially No, those canceled points would not automatically save into 2021. But I have had success in the past with calling them and manually moving them since I paid to save them.
Auto save USED to save the points at the end of the year, but they have reprogrammed it and it autosaves the points overnight once you make payment.

I just paid for auto save yesterday and all my points are in 2021 as of this morning.
Clarification: Does Autosave

a) only save points left over at the end of the year? (one time save at the end of the year)
b) It saves as you go when 2020 points free up after you cancel?
c) saves the points you have now and doesn't save points that may show up from cancellations later in the year?

lastly:

If you have banked 2019 points, It won't touch those points because they are 2019?

Sorry for possibly duplicating earlier posts but I am still confused as to how this works.

I just wanted to follow up this thread with my experience as it contradicts some of the previous expectations. Based on my experience, the answer to the above is B.

I had several late year reservations but I wanted to take advantage of the early discount for selecting auto save. About 24 hours after paying for auto save, all the unused 2020 points in my account were rolled into 2021. I have made several reservation changes since then - sometimes cancelling complete weeks, sometimes changing room sizes...etc. What I have noticed is that about every four weeks the system has automatically saved any 2020 points freed up in my account. Each time I receive an email confirming this transaction, no fee is charged and my online dashboard shows the points moved into 2021.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of us who paid early to move unused points forward with the understanding that they would be moved at the end of the year, as before, what happens if we want to use points this year? We had expected that the points would still be here until end of December, then move. Would it be reasonable to request to get back the 2020 points that we need for various uses rather than having to borrow 2021 points into 2020?

There's some small chance, for example, that we could sell a couple of Flamingos we have. Well, certainly more attractive if we can include 2020 points that we wouldn't use anyway.

If this happens, would calling HGVC and asking for a return of necessary points be reasonable since they chose to move them early?

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
@brp

You can book something this year for points that are moved into next year. Borrowing points works that way. No problem. If you cancel they just go back to next year.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
@brp

You can book something this year for points that are moved into next year. Borrowing points works that way. No problem. If you cancel they just go back to next year.

To be clear: If I saved 2020 points into 2021 then book something this year, it will pull back those saved 2020 points into this year? (DVC does not work that way in that once banked, they can't be pulled back), so just wanted to clarify. It won't borrow the 2021 native points, but use the 2020?

Also, what about the contract sale question. That would not be a booking, but I'd potentially want the points.

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I don't believe you can borrow points 2 years in advance. At least it looks that way when I tried to book something this year, it only allowed me to book something using up to 2021 points, not 2022 points.

Yes you should be able to sell a contract with points, you should have to discuss and arrange that with HGVC upon the sale of the contract. But confirm with HGVC.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you book another stay for 2020, it will first claw back (borrow) saved points.
They are kept in a bucket separate from your 2021 points and used first.

In a sale, you could offer to book a 2020 stay for the buyer (using a GC).
That way the buyer would not have to wait for a transfer this late in the year.
You'd prolly specify how many points they could use this way in the contract.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you book another stay for 2020, it will first claw back (borrow) saved points.
They are kept in a bucket separate from your 2021 points and used first.

Thanks all for the confirmation. Since DVC does not work that way, I thought that HGVC might as well. Glad to hear that this is different. Of course, DVC are free to save points, so pluses and minuses :)

Cheers.