• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens to virus when

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
people who died while on ventilators and then stored in trailers? Does virus stay on/in dead bodies? Are trailers contaminated?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, virus stay on the dead bodies but the question is for how long. There is another thread on this. Back in the days of SARS, dead bodies were zipped up in body bags and taken straight from the morgue to the crematorium by people in full PPE gear - body suit, full face and neck protection.

Trailers are contaminated but again for how long. Since they found COVID-19 virus in cruise ship cabin for 17 days, I would say air the trailers in the sun for at least 17 days after the last body is removed.

Brett

Reaction score
Yes, virus stay on the dead bodies but the question is for how long. There is another thread on this. Back in the days of SARS, dead bodies were zipped up in body bags and taken straight from the morgue to the crematorium by people in full PPE gear - body suit, full face and neck protection.

Trailers are contaminated but again for how long. Since they found COVID-19 virus in cruise ship cabin for 17 days, I would say air the trailers in the sun for at least 17 days after the last body is removed.

yeah, then a good spraying of bleach

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

That story about the Diamond Princess was misleading and now seems to be referred to as a fact that the virus can live on surfaces for 17 days, which isn't necessarily true.

New CDC research conducted on the Diamond Princess cruise ship found traces of the coronavirus on some of the ship’s surfaces up to 17 days after passengers disembarked. But traces are not the same thing as live viruses.

The report doesn’t conclude that the virus "survived" on any of the surfaces that long and the CDC hasn’t issued an official statement that gives that assessment, either.

Other tests seem to indicate that the virus can SURVIVE up to three days on certain surfaces. That is a more important factor than how long a genetic trace can be found on a surface as the articles about the Diamond Princess mention. It is also important to point out that bodies aren't stored in regular trailers. These are refrigerated trailers meant for this purpose. The virus can likely survive longer in a colder environment. It is possible it could survive years if in a freezer. Of course, more tests are likely needed to verify how long it could survive in these situations. I am not sure if the trailers being contaminated is a concern. Anyone moving bodies in or out should be wearing PPE as well as anyone handling bodies of invective victims.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Cliff was wondering yesterday how funeral homes were handling (or not handling) covid bodies. I've heard that funerals are down to a person or two sitting in a car so as to not have social distancing issues, but I've heard nothing about funeral home personal being at risk and having to take precautions. I'd think they'd be at considerable risk.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Cliff was wondering yesterday how funeral homes were handling (or not handling) covid bodies. I've heard that funerals are down to a person or two sitting in a car so as to not have social distancing issues, but I've heard nothing about funeral home personal being at risk and having to take precautions. I'd think they'd be at considerable risk.
I would expect that the person performing embalming wears PPE regardless. Virus or no virus. Today or a year ago. They won't take chances.