• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney parks and resorts closed until further notice

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
In this past year, I used my Wyndham points to stay at SSR and also spent time at Wyndham's Daytona Ocean Walk. My 5 year old liked Ocean Walk more than SSR. There is a water park across the street that is a 5 min walk from your room and has go karts, an arcade and minigolf. The $125 season pass covers the entire trip. There is a movie theater on property with a few restaurants. Movies are 1/2 priced on Tuesdays. There is also a really good taffy shop on the boardwalk (Zenos) as well as a Coldstone. The pier has a Joe's Crab Shack on it and offers 360 degree ocean views from inside the restaurant. On site, there is a lazy river, childrens water feature and water slide. A dunkin donuts is also a 5 min walk. If you have older kids, there's a HUGE sligshot. My daughter loved watching people get catapaulted (on the slingshot) from our balcony at night. Most of the rooms are either ocean view or ocean front and the towers go up to 25 floors to give you awesome views.

This vacation I am describing only cost me $60 a night for the 5 nights I was there in a 1 bedroom deluxe using my Wyndham membership. Depositing into RCI may not be the best way to spend points, but on the bright side it gives you the ability to try out other systems and see if buying into them is right for you (resale of course). Wyndham, even though their sales practices are cut throat, extended the point deposit date and allowed everyone (even resale) to bank them for FREE. They also gave us back our reservation transactions. They've also never restricted where resale points can stay within their club. We just don't get developer benefits. The same can be said with Hilton. To me Disney is greedier than Wyndham/Hilton and it has left a sour taste.

Just for information DVC owners which end up depositing their points to RCI can’t book anything in Orlando not even 30 miles around the Orlando area.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Just for information DVC owners which end up depositing their points to RCI can’t book anything in Orlando not even 30 miles around the Orlando area.

Daytona is 75 miles from Orlando o.0

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have not deposited points to RCI for trades so do not have first hand experience if DVC has the location restrictions. But I have used my HGVC points to book Orlando even though HGVC has locations close by.

I though most mini point systems like HGVC, Wyndham, Worldmark etc do not have Orlando restrictions?

Have you tried with DVC points and there is a restriction. Figure RCI does not know if points came from HH, VB or VGC (even though there has been no recent sighting of trades there)so there would not be Orlando restriction.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one point, the DVC portal restricted the set of resorts that could be seen in RCI, similar in spirit to II's quality filter, to remove properties at the lower end of the range. I *think* that's been changed, but it is possible that Orlando-area properties still don't appear in the DVC portal. I don't own there so can't check first-hand.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not deposited points to RCI for trades so do not have first hand experience if DVC has the location restrictions. But I have used my HGVC points to book Orlando even though HGVC has locations close by.

I though most mini point systems like HGVC, Wyndham, Worldmark etc do not have Orlando restrictions?

Have you tried with DVC points and there is a restriction. Figure RCI does not know if points came from HH, VB or VGC (even though there has been no recent sighting of trades there)so there would not be Orlando restriction.

DVC has a 30 mile restriction in RCI thus owners at resorts within a 30 mile radius can't trade to DVC. That's true for other locations besides Orlando as well . Historically they haven't blocked the points mini systems other than RCI points if the points were tied to a restricted resort. BTW it was 45 miles in II though for Orlando there are no resorts that would fall in the 15 mile radius I don't believe. I can't speak to where there have been changes based on the current weirdness but looking online it's still in effect judging by the DVC RCI conduit.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
43,000 more Walt Disney World workers will be furloughed April 19

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
DVC has a 30 mile restriction in RCI thus owners at resorts within a 30 mile radius can't trade to DVC.
Is this new? I traded into DVC HHI with a RCI weeks HHI unit in the past. It was even for the exact same week.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC has a 30 mile restriction in RCI thus owners at resorts within a 30 mile radius can't trade to DVC.
Is this new? I traded into DVC HHI with a RCI weeks HHI unit in the past. It was even for the exact same week.
I don't think I was clear. There are 2 components to the restriction, inbound and outbound and they've eased up on the non Orlando locations the last few years. But here's the kicker, historically there have been matches made that were later canceled under these provisions.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good to know. Thanks. Glad our trade wasn’t Canx. It was a great place.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
DVC has a 30 mile restriction in RCI thus owners at resorts within a 30 mile radius can't trade to DVC. That's true for other locations besides Orlando as well . Historically they haven't blocked the points mini systems other than RCI points if the points were tied to a restricted resort. BTW it was 45 miles in II though for Orlando there are no resorts that would fall in the 15 mile radius I don't believe. I can't speak to where there have been changes based on the current weirdness but looking online it's still in effect judging by the DVC RCI conduit.
I know through RCI you can not trade a resort located 30 miles of WDW into DVC. Is it possible to use DVC points to trade into Orlando resorts within 30 miles of WDW? A previous poster said that there was a block for DVC points deposited in RCI to trade for locations near Orlando.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
The second wave of furloughed Disney workers were union members. Negotiations have been taking place since the first furloughs were announced. Disney is no longer accepting any reservations for dining or resorts until after June 1, so I find it interesting that May DVC trades are still available in RCI. Does anyone think they could possibly be open?

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes there is a restriction. If you open the RCI portal through the DVC member page you will see that Orlando is not among the locations you can choose.

Mini systems like HGVC is not blocked in RCI as HGVC members uses a corporate account to sign into RCI. It’s not possible to identify where points are coming from just a pool of points.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all of the extra points which currently are in the system. That be points with a August or later UY which have cancelled and banked(if possible) The points was originally locked into a vacation in March, April, May and maybe June.

Some points are also lost due to people using their points for a vacation very late in their UY.

All of those extra points DVC need to do something about as there are not enough rooms to meet the demand going forward. One way DVC could “fix” this problem would be either suspend banking and/or borrowing. Another and maybe not so often thought of solution could be to increase the point cost when owners to an internal trade. Internal trade is when an owner with ie. SSR points book BWV. Normal the trade is 1:1 point wise. Going forward all non home resort bookings could be increased 30% so a room at BWV which in September normally costs 10 points would now cost 13 points but only for non owners at BWV.

That would help eliminate or eat some of the extra points in the system going forward.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t think that dvc can charge extra for non-home resorts.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think they would do that. IMHO That would cause an uproar amongst far more owner than the ones losing points. But who knows.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone is going to lose the use of points—not just here but in any points-based timeshare. The closures are too widespread for too long at resorts that are normally more than 90% full. He only questions are who and how.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think they would do that. IMHO That would cause an uproar amongst far more owner than the ones losing points. But who knows.
You could argue that then all owners will “pay” for the current situation.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd be fine with that. Everyone sharing equally. It's very unfair to owners who had reservations who missed baking deadlines to not be able to bank late--that should not upset the balance--they could have banked those points. That's different from allowing an extra year of banking--which many owners need (possibly me included), who will lose points because parks are closed during their reservations using already banked points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect after reopening and perhaps through the next year that occupancy at non DVC resorts will be less than 100%. Perhaps considerably less. Didn't they close certain resorts after 911? They could assign points to these resorts for the different room types. Mostly just hotel rooms. They could then allow DVC owners to book at non DVC properties in to this inventory that would otherwise go unsold as cash reservations. It isn't like they would be renting these units out for cash anyway. Though there is a cost associated with running these resorts for "non paying" guests. Though I would think Disney would just be happy to get people back?

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect after reopening and perhaps through the next year that occupancy at non DVC resorts will be less than 100%. Perhaps considerably less. Didn't they close certain resorts after 911? They could assign points to these resorts for the different room types. Mostly just hotel rooms. They could then allow DVC owners to book at non DVC properties in to this inventory that would otherwise go unsold as cash reservations. It isn't like they would be renting these units out for cash anyway. Though there is a cost associated with running these resorts for "non paying" guests. Though I would think Disney would just be happy to get people back?
That would assume that DVC and DISNEY could come to an agreement as the two don’t have control over each other. DVC would need to pay to book rooms at regular resort hotels. Who should cover that cost?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

Getting people back IMO will be challenging over the short run. People will now be afraid to be in packed venues for awhile. They may need to hand out free masks, hand sanitizer just to alleviate the fear. That said, a vaccine would change the entire ball game. Let’s hope a vaccine comes soon because that would stop the fear and have places like Disney go back to normal ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk