• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II Replacement Week Exchange Power (Covid-19 cancellation)

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two getaways scheduled for the latter part of May that were booked via II in areas that are unlikely to be open.

I know that Interval has extended their policy to allow me to apply the cost paid to a new getaway, or to be issued a replacement week.

The issue is that I'm not seeing anything that I would want to book. I am somewhat interested in the replacement week option, but if it's just an AC with all the dumb restrictions (i.e. basically nothing good), I think I'd prefer to go with a getaway.

I would be happy if the replacement week opened up expanded inventory within 60 days (like a flexchange), as I could work within those restrictions.

Anyone have any experience? Is there a decent amount available for say a Marriott in the offseason in Orlando?

Can you place ongoing searches with these replacement weeks?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I just cancelled my AC booking for the end of May and was told I'll be getting a new AC that doesn't expire till end of December but haven't gotten it yet.
Once I do, I can let you know about availability.
On the up side, it was extremely easy to cancel and speak with an English first customer service agent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just cancelled my AC booking for the end of May and was told I'll be getting a new AC that doesn't expire till end of December but haven't gotten it yet.
Once I do, I can let you know about availability.
On the up side, it was extremely easy to cancel and speak with an English first customer service agent.

Thanks, that information is helpful. I have some time before I need to cancel, so would be interested to see what they give you. I wonder if it's different based on what you are canceling?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have weeks starting 5/17 and 5/24 at Marriott's Cypress Harbour in Orlando, and if I have to cancel, I have no idea what I would book by the end of the year. I already cancelled trips and have booked our Disney World weeks for later in the year. I am so disappointed that Interval hasn't done much for timeshare owners. I would like to see them allow us to use these weeks for a full year without exchange restrictions. I am going to cancel last minute (always wishful thinking) because I want them to step up and change their policy by then. They act like WE are at fault, yet their insurance is crap.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Thanks, that information is helpful. I have some time before I need to cancel, so would be interested to see what they give you. I wonder if it's different based on what you are canceling?
I would imagine it is. Just like the ACs have different availability based on if it was a bonus week or a random one that dropped into our account.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got one of these AC and it is the same as the one they give for free but you do not pay any fees to book. In my views, very limited and not worth the original week I deposited. I would go with a canceled week or money credit.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got one of these AC and it is the same as the one they give for free but you do not pay any fees to book. In my views, very limited and not worth the original week I deposited. I would go with a canceled week or money credit.
Thanks! I go back and forth, because if it's good enough to use for a 2 bedroom at a Marriott in Orlando, that's all I'd want to use it for. I occasionally see those pop up,

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the availability for stuff within 60 days? Still lots of restrictions?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I just cancelled today my Marriott Maui Ocean Club 2-BR reserved for May 23-30 and deposited into II. I asked about usage/restrictions and was told 120 days from check-in date, no restrictions on where, but have to use by Dec 2021.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travelhacker, more within 60 days. As a matter of fact I see KoOlina, NCV and MOC for April and May.

Now if you are looking for MGV over new year within 60 days, it will not happen. It all depends on when you want to go.

How much was the getaway for. If more then $500, I would do money credit.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Travelhacker, more within 60 days. As a matter of fact I see KoOlina, NCV and MOC for April and May.

Now if you are looking for MGV over new year within 60 days, it will not happen. It all depends on when you want to go.

How much was the getaway for. If more then $500, I would do money credit.
I canceled a floating week, not enrolled, not points, that I own and reserved a year ago.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks csodjd for explaining. This is very unfortunate as these weeks are very valuable to be only available for 120 days out and no waitlist option.

Travelhacker, had a getaway with II which is different setup.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Thanks csodjd for explaining. This is very unfortunate as these weeks are very valuable to be only available for 120 days out and no waitlist option.

Travelhacker, had a getaway with II which is different setup.
Thanks. Our view is, we're out ~$2500 worst case. Maybe we'll be able to take advantage of an opportunity through II next year. Maybe not. I've lost a lot more in the market. This doesn't move the needle. I just love Maui. It's more emotional than financial. Mai Tai's just aren't the same at home. :LOL:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
To cancel or just no show?

I have 2 II getaway weeks (Apr 26 and May 3) that I will not use. If I cancel, I'll just get 2 certificates that will have to be used by Dec 20, which I almost certainly will not be able to use. I did get an email from Marriott encouraging me to cancel.

So, what would you do? Cancel, or just no show.
Who gets the $ I paid if I no show? Marriott or II?
Who gets the $ I paid if I cancel? Marriott or II?

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI

I have 2 II getaway weeks (Apr 26 and May 3) that I will not use. If I cancel, I'll just get 2 certificates that will have to be used by Dec 20, which I almost certainly will not be able to use. I did get an email from Marriott encouraging me to cancel.

Cancel. Give the resort the courtesy of letting them know you won't be there. They have enough on their hands without wondering if you will be there or not.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I shouldn't have said 'no show'. If I didn't cancel, I would clearly let the resort know that I wasn't coming. I was just wondering if somehow it was more beneficial to the resort $ wise if I didn't cancel.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I shouldn't have said 'no show'. If I didn't cancel, I would clearly let the resort know that I wasn't coming. I was just wondering if somehow it was more beneficial to the resort $ wise if I didn't cancel.
Definitely cancel and get the certificate -- you could always gift it to an appreciative TUGger

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

If you cancel now and deposit in II I think the May 3 week will give you a II certificate you have until almost the end of 2021 to use. Apr 26 is too late, I think that decision has been made for you at this point.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you cancel now and deposit in II I think the May 3 week will give you a II certificate you have until almost the end of 2021 to use. Apr 26 is too late, I think that decision has been made for you at this point.
This is a getaway cancellation, not an exchange. The certificate is only good until 12/2020.

GETAWAY CANCELLATION POLICY ADJUSTMENTS
=== If you cancel a booked Getaway, with travel between March 14, 2020, and May 31, 2020 ===
  • Option 1: Apply the price of your canceled Getaway toward a newly booked Getaway at the time of cancellation.
    • Do I have a booking window? No, as the substitute accommodations are confirmed at the time of cancellation.
    • Do I pay an additional fee? You will pay the difference between the price of the newly booked Getaway and the price of the canceled Getaway.
    • When do I need to complete travel? By December 31, 2020.

• Option 2: If an acceptable alternative Getaway selection is not available when you cancel, you can receive a no-fee Accommodations Certificate.
    • Do I have a booking window? Yes. It will be open through the travel expiration date, but it may be shortened to 30 days or less by Interval, from time to time, in its reasonable discretion.
    • Do I pay an additional fee? No.
    • When do I need to complete travel? By December 24, 2020.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was given an AC with no booking fee for an exchange week that i cancelled in May - and it had the option to extend. I have already paid the $99 to make it good thru June of 2021. I did this because it was going to be hard to use it before the end of the year - it was one thing I could push out. It does have limitations (no hawaii, no socal coast, no Ft Lauderdale).

This was done thru Hyatt - but i would like to think it did not matter since it was an interval reservation.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I think the limitations II put on the replacement weeks are ridiculous for exchanges. I try to have a plan when I call and have them give me a week I know I will use, like a Marriott in Orlando, and that way, I don't have their crappy certificate. My understanding is that the certificate is not even good for Orlando in the fall. That sucks.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

They also provide an option to extend beyond December.

17996E1F-C0D3-47D5-BA84-1265F242A413.jpeg

Extend Your Accommodation Certificate
How long would you like to extend your Accommodation Certificate for?

TermNew Expiration DatePrice
6 monthsWednesday, June 30, 2021$99.00
12 monthsFriday, December 31, 2021$189.00

C386E608-E716-4A82-BCD5-C8945870B272.jpeg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

vmoreno5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just cancelled a week I had at the Marriott Pulse Boston. It was originally booked with an II deposit from our Westin Palm Springs. The agent knew the only resort I wanted to rebook was the same one I cancelled. I asked if there was any reason why I shouldn't get the cancellation certificate (specifically asked what drawbacks or any negatives that came with it). That would have been the time to tell me I may not be able to use this certificate at that same resort I was canceling! He said "No, it sounds like it's the best plan." Of course, I realized minutes after he cancelled when I searched availability and did not see the same weeks that I could see currently with another Westin week I have on deposit with II.

I wish I had waited to cancel and continued to search availability at the Pulse Boston for later in the year. Then if I saw an opening, I could have called II and they would have done the retrade with no fee. As it is now, I have a certificate I will probably never be able to use at the same resort I had to cancel bc they're closed. I think that's just wrong. Especially because the agents are not advising people of this (at least my agent tonight did not). And I asked first, which is why I'm most upset. They just do not know what they're doing. They need to read some sort of disclaimer or something when they cancel your week. I know this is hard on everybody, but to be fair, why wouldn't they let someone book back into the same resort they had to cancel?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just cancelled a week I had at the Marriott Pulse Boston. It was originally booked with an II deposit from our Westin Palm Springs. The agent knew the only resort I wanted to rebook was the same one I cancelled. I asked if there was any reason why I shouldn't get the cancellation certificate (specifically asked what drawbacks or any negatives that came with it). That would have been the time to tell me I may not be able to use this certificate at that same resort I was canceling! He said "No, it sounds like it's the best plan." Of course, I realized minutes after he cancelled when I searched availability and did not see the same weeks that I could see currently with another Westin week I have on deposit with II.

I wish I had waited to cancel and continued to search availability at the Pulse Boston for later in the year. Then if I saw an opening, I could have called II and they would have done the retrade with no fee. As it is now, I have a certificate I will probably never be able to use at the same resort I had to cancel bc they're closed. I think that's just wrong. Especially because the agents are not advising people of this (at least my agent tonight did not). And I asked first, which is why I'm most upset. They just do not know what they're doing. They need to read some sort of disclaimer or something when they cancel your week. I know this is hard on everybody, but to be fair, why wouldn't they let someone book back into the same resort they had to cancel?
I agree. That is wrong.