• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Late Cancellation Question

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
For those with owner week late II deposits >14 <60 days who has the better deal or is it a toss-up? People with weeks thru April 23 have to pay a $99 fee with an expiration of next December but have a 120 day availability window. For those after that date you don't have to pay a fee, the week doesn't expire for 2 years but you only have a 60 day window to choose from. Which boat would you rather be in and why?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely the latter. The $99 fee one comes with a list of ineligible resorts, i.e. you don't get Hawaii MVC/Vistana etc etc.

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Definitely the latter. The $99 fee one comes with a list of ineligible resorts, i.e. you don't get Hawaii MVC/Vistana etc etc.
I didn't realize that. Is there a list of ineligible resorts in a post somewhere on here or does II have that listed somewhere on their site? We are II platinum members but have only ever used them for getaways. We are MOC owners and have always used our week at our property so have never dealt with depositing into II before let alone a late deposit. I so wish we would have cancelled before the 60 days but didn't realize how bad it was going to get before that ship sailed. Our trip is scheduled for mid-May so didn't know if we should wait to see if they extend out the April 23rd date over the next couple weeks (before the 14 day timeframe) if having 120 days vs 60 days would be better even with the fee and less time to use it but if they have less options to choose from I would say not. Is Maui ever even an option on II with a 60 day window that anyone has ever seen?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was reported in another thread under Marriott Coronavirus...
"fyi: I canceled an April 5 week at Ko Olina, received an II COVID-19 certificate and there are limitations including the following:
"Certificate may not be used for the following AREAS.Florida, Fort Lauderdale Coast From:01MAY To:31DEC,Florida, Upper Keys,Florida, Lower Keys,Florida, Key West,Florida, Tampa Bay,California, Kirkwood,California, Southern Coast,California, Big Bear Lake,California, San Diego Area,California, Northern National Forests,California, San Francisco,California, Napa Valley,Hawaii, Oahu,Hawaii, Maui,Hawaii, Kauai,Hawaii, Molokai,Hawaii, Big Island, "
I should have just kept the week. "

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
"fyi: I canceled an April 5 week at Ko Olina, received an II COVID-19 certificate and there are limitations including the following:
"Certificate may not be used for the following AREAS.Florida, Fort Lauderdale Coast From:01MAY To:31DEC,Florida, Upper Keys,Florida, Lower Keys,Florida, Key West,Florida, Tampa Bay,California, Kirkwood,California, Southern Coast,California, Big Bear Lake,California, San Diego Area,California, Northern National Forests,California, San Francisco,California, Napa Valley,Hawaii, Oahu,Hawaii, Maui,Hawaii, Kauai,Hawaii, Molokai,Hawaii, Big Island, "
Thanks for the info, that really does limit the options available.

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Well, we called MVC and were ready to pull the trigger and take the II certificate good for 2 years, no fee, 60 day window but the person we spoke to did his best to convince us to wait to see if they extend out the dates so that we would be eligible for the 120 day window (w/fee, exclusions and expires next December) because he feels those with the 120 day window have a better shot of finding something as they can see what is available 60 days before we would. He suggested we wait until Mid-April to see if MVC extends out the 120 day window option to May arrivals. We said we'd think on it. Does anyone here agree with him or is a 60 day window enough to find something? We've never dealt with this part of II before so we have no idea.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
120 days is twice better than 60 days. :) Gives a much better window within II to book.

What is unclear to me yet is whether the restrictions on the COVID-19 120day certificated as stated above are correct and enforced. If so...that plus the $99 Marriott to Marriott exchange fee may make the 60 day better. Not sure.

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
My understanding is that the exclusions are for exchanges into those areas the present time and may not be excluded in the future based on status of Covid-19 presence in those locations and related travel restrictions.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the one thing that makes a difference on the 60 day option is whether you have a Destination Club account where retrades are unlimited and free.

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
I think the one thing that makes a difference on the 60 day option is whether you have a Destination Club account where retrades are unlimited and free.
We are not part of the points program, just have our home resort (MOC) which we have always used there because we love Maui. Not being able to use it is a whole new world for us as we have no idea what we can expect to find with either scenario.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
120 days is twice better than 60 days. :) Gives a much better window within II to book.

What is unclear to me yet is whether the restrictions on the COVID-19 120day certificated as stated above are correct and enforced. If so...that plus the $99 Marriott to Marriott exchange fee may make the 60 day better. Not sure.
Sorry if this is obvious, but it's not clear to me if those restrictions on use -- which basically removes Hawaii from use -- apply to the 60-day time that comes about from a cancellation in the 15-59 day period. I have a May 23 MOC floating week, not enrolled, I'm going to cancel and deposit into II. So it appears as of now I'll only have the no fee, but 60-day reservation window. Will I not be able to use it for a Hawaii trip down the road because of those restrictions?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is obvious, but it's not clear to me if those restrictions on use -- which basically removes Hawaii from use -- apply to the 60-day time that comes about from a cancellation in the 15-59 day period. I have a May 23 MOC floating week, not enrolled, I'm going to cancel and deposit into II. So it appears as of now I'll only have the no fee, but 60-day reservation window. Will I not be able to use it for a Hawaii trip down the road because of those restrictions?

If you deposit into Interval International be sure to opt for the "E-Plus" feature which will allow you 3 additional trades once you make your initial trade. It's a great feature!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Especially in these uncertain times. You might think you are going on some date, but, who knows how the virus will work out for sure. Eplus, in absence of an enrolled week, definitely.

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
It would be nice to know wouldn't it? The rep we spoke to yesterday was aware of the restrictions on the 120 day certificates being issued to the people with April reservations but said nothing about restrictions for 60 day certs that we would currently get. He did say it is possible they may change the cert terms as the spread continues but he said they get no forewarning. He said they simply get an e-mail when there is any change to the policy which according to him has changed twice since the outbreak. I too would love to know if Maui would ever be an option with a 60 day window or is that crazy wishful thinking (not sure if it would even happen with 120 days either). Please post anything you learn if and when you call. We're still debating if we want to take the 60 day window or wait to see if they move the 120 day option with May. It feels like either option has positives and negatives.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
> 14 60 day is good for 2 years. Also, just check today and the $99/120 day/Good through Dec 16,2021 certificates are now for reservation through May 14

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
> 14 60 day is good for 2 years. Also, just check today and the $99/120 day/Good through Dec 16,2021 certificates are now for reservation through May 14
What about restrictions on which locations/resorts you can use them for?

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Thanks. I saw that this morning though our check-in starts a couple days later. My understanding now (after posting on II forum) is that we would have to pay the full exchange fee of $209 if we cancel under the current terms for our trip even though it is not mentioned in the MVC cancellation policy. I inquired on II because it didn't seem to make sense that those with trips scheduled thru 4/23 (now 5/14) would have to pay a "reduced" $99 exchange fee but those with later dates wouldn't have an exchange fee. Apparently MVC must think everyone know this so they don't bother spelling it out. Kinda like they don't mention that those who are under the special 120 day window comes with location restrictions (unless they change that). We're thinking at this point that waiting to see if they extend the date out farther might be the better option.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw that this morning though our check-in starts a couple days later. My understanding now (after posting on II forum) is that we would have to pay the full exchange fee of $209 if we cancel under the current terms for our trip even though it is not mentioned in the MVC cancellation policy. I inquired on II because it didn't seem to make sense that those with trips scheduled thru 4/23 (now 5/14) would have to pay a "reduced" $99 exchange fee but those with later dates wouldn't have an exchange fee. Apparently MVC must think everyone know this so they don't bother spelling it out. Kinda like they don't mention that those who are under the special 120 day window comes with location restrictions (unless they change that). We're thinking at this point that waiting to see if they extend the date out farther might be the better option.
The date on MVCI and $99 is for week owners with week reservations not for trades. In their faq it states “If you have a reservation confirmed through Interval International, please contact them directly at intervalworld.com.”

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
The date on MVCI and $99 is for week owners with week reservations not for trades. In their faq it states “If you have a reservation confirmed through Interval International, please contact them directly at intervalworld.com.”
When MVC deposits the ownership week( or a week in place of it) into II under the special covid 19 policy that week exchanges for a reduced II exchange fee of $99.
Normal exchange fee on II is 209. There is a reduced exchange fee for M-M exchanges (I don’t know what it is because my week is enrolled ).

If an mvc owner had already deposited their week into II and exchanged then they must deal with II’s cancellation policy.

Last edited:

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Happy that we can cross off the airline part of our trip now. Saw that AA was going to be making changes/reductions to their flights today. Logged in and found the Maui portions of our flights were missing both going and coming back. We called and they are no longer flying into Maui the week of our trip (mid-May) so we were able to cancel and request a refund instead of credit. Anyone flying to Hawaii in May through AA may way to check their flights to see if they've changed.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Happy that we can cross off the airline part of our trip now. Saw that AA was going to be making changes/reductions to their flights today. Logged in and found the Maui portions of our flights were missing both going and coming back. We called and they are no longer flying into Maui the week of our trip (mid-May) so we were able to cancel and request a refund instead of credit. Anyone flying to Hawaii in May through AA may way to check their flights to see if they've changed.
Same here. My flights are gone. But no email from AA. Question -- how long did it take you to get through to them on the phone?

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Same here. My flights are gone. But no email from AA. Question -- how long did it take you to get through to them on the phone?
We didn't get an e-mail either but I saw on their news page earlier this week that they were adjusting their schedule today so we logged in to check. It only took about 10 minutes on hold to get someone. The rep cancelled the trip and sent an e-mail which listed our ticket numbers and told us to go to a specific area of the AA website to request a refund. You have to do a separate request for each ticket. Good luck, hope your experience is just as painless.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We didn't get an e-mail either but I saw on their news page earlier this week that they were adjusting their schedule today so we logged in to check. It only took about 10 minutes on hold to get someone. The rep cancelled the trip and sent an e-mail which listed our ticket numbers and told us to go to a specific area of the AA website to request a refund. You have to do a separate request for each ticket. Good luck, hope your experience is just as painless.
Is there any reason one can't just cancel online and then do the refund request?

I also have a couple of flights that they changed the schedule by more than an hour. Their "Conditions of Carriage" says that they will provide a refund for any flight change of 61 minutes or more. I tried doing the online refund and it didn't allow it. I'm wondering if I cancel first, then try the refund request, all online, would work.

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Is there any reason one can't just cancel online and then do the refund request?

I also have a couple of flights that they changed the schedule by more than an hour. Their "Conditions of Carriage" says that they will provide a refund for any flight change of 61 minutes or more. I tried doing the online refund and it didn't allow it. I'm wondering if I cancel first, then try the refund request, all online, would work.
It might but I'm honestly not sure. We called because the flight portions into/out of Maui were literally missing from our itinerary so we wanted to make sure they had stopped flights rather than it being some kind of glitch in what it was showing. We've been waiting to cancel until we could get a refund and needed to verify the situation with them before we cancelled to ensure we weren't stuck with just a credit.