• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Airlines will suspend service to Lihue (LIH), Kona (KOA) and Maui (OGG)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The most significant change is the reduction in service to Hawaii in April. In response to the new 14-day quarantine order for travelers flying to Hawaii, American has suspended operations into Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG). The airline will continue to operate one daily flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL).

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
American has joined Hawaiian, Southwest and Alaska Air with very limited flights and only out of Honolulu. I am sure that Delta and United will follow shortly.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
At what point...will American and/or Delta allow a refund? Only if they 'cancel' the flight? Does 'suspend' status count?

I'm waiting until a day or so before my flight to cancel..in hopes that they will cancel the flight allowing refund vs a credit. While I'm sure I could use the credit..I'd much prefer my money back.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
At what point...will American and/or Delta allow a refund? Only if they 'cancel' the flight? Does 'suspend' status count?

I'm waiting until a day or so before my flight to cancel..in hopes that they will cancel the flight allowing refund vs a credit. While I'm sure I could use the credit..I'd much prefer my money back.

The service is what is being suspended. That service suspension will result in cancelled flights. Once the flight is cancelled you can seek a full refund.

My understanding is the AA flights into OGG, LIH and KOA will be updated as CANCELLED either in tonight's or tomorrow night's upload.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've cancelled all our SW flights to Hawaii and received our points back into our account. I do have AA flights out of OGG back to the mainland end of May booked on points, when an AA flight booked on points is cancelled does these points go right back into your account? Not sure how AA works when it comes to cancellations. Thanks.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I have seen some very high grade ahi for like seven dollars a pound recently. They are saying this is because restaurants are not buying for their usual demand. I also wonder if there is an impact caused by a reduction in outbound air freight. I can’t complain about the availability of the fish. Got to support the local fishing fleet.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I've cancelled all our SW flights to Hawaii and received our points back into our account. I do have AA flights out of OGG back to the mainland end of May booked on points, when an AA flight booked on points is cancelled does these points go right back into your account? Not sure how AA works when it comes to cancellations. Thanks.
I love SW. They are just so easy to use. I would fly to Hawaii in a heartbeat with them, but Rick cannot. He has back problems and cannot take a flight for that many hours to the islands. Too bad because there are bargains, but most of the time, the flights are rather expensive out of Denver, and the stops are usually Oakland. But arriving back home by midnight after a long trip like that, very great time to come home from Hawaii.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

That is the correct strategy. If THEY cancel, they MUST provide you a refund option. But if YOU cancel, they don't have to refund. So they like to wait until the last minute to cancel in the hope you'll cancel first. Cat and mouse game. But you know they're going to cancel most flights so wait them out. Find out what the last time to cancel is and wait for it.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Our flights are scheduled for 6/27, so I'll basically be waiting until that week to see what happens. If I have to cancel myself and pay the change fee, that's better than the garbage voucher they're offering. I've got $5500 in flights that I'd like the cash back for.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Our flights are scheduled for 6/27, so I'll basically be waiting until that week to see what happens. If I have to cancel myself and pay the change fee, that's better than the garbage voucher they're offering. I've got $5500 in flights that I'd like the cash back for.
My stepdaughter was getting married in Hana Memorial weekend. I bought tickets on AA and/or Hawaiian for me, my wife, and five grown children, including RT on Mokulele Airlines to fly three of us from OGG to Hana. Have not canceled any yet. No rush. I expect them to cancel before I do.

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out if flights were cancelled a week ago? My son had his honeymoon scheduled of 3/22-3/29 on AA LAX-OGG. He cancelled on 3/16 as was told he has credit. He paid about $550 for tickets which he can now get for $250. Obviously he wants a refund and then rebook his tickets for the lesser amount. I read somewhere that AA will have to refund if the flight was cancelled. So I need to find out if the 3/22 direct flight into Maui was cancelled and the 3/29 flight home from Maui direct to LAX was as well.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Is there a way to find out if flights were cancelled a week ago? My son had his honeymoon scheduled of 3/22-3/29 on AA LAX-OGG. He cancelled on 3/16 as was told he has credit. He paid about $550 for tickets which he can now get for $250. Obviously he wants a refund and then rebook his tickets for the lesser amount. I read somewhere that AA will have to refund if the flight was cancelled. So I need to find out if the 3/22 direct flight into Maui was cancelled and the 3/29 flight home from Maui direct to LAX was as well.
I have had excellent results reaching out to companies (so far Hilton and Alaska Airlines) on Facebook. Their responses have been very quick. Not sure if they can help you in this instance or not, but it can't hurt to try.

You could go to the Alaska Airlines website and check the status of the 3/29 flight (3/22 is too far in the past), but you'll need the flight number to do that. Looks like the flights from Maui to LAX for today are running.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Give me the AA flight numbers for 3/22 and 3/29 and I can give you that info.

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Give me the AA flight numbers for 3/22 and 3/29 and I can give you that info.
Oh my gosh, that is awesome. 3/22 was flight 253 LAX to OGG. 3/29 was flight 254 OGG to LAX. I love this website and all of the helpful people with a passion for traveling. Thank you.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Oh my gosh, that is awesome. 3/22 was flight 253 LAX to OGG. 3/29 was flight 254 OGG to LAX. I love this website and all of the helpful people with a passion for traveling. Thank you.

AA254 OGG-LAX on 3/29/20 was CANCELLED. AA253 LAX-OGG on 3/22 was CANCELLED.