• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delay in New VIP Levels Due to Corona Virus

Worker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think Wyndham will delay New VIP Levels due to Resorts Shut Down and the Corona Virus Economy?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Does anyone think Wyndham will delay New VIP Levels due to Resorts Shut Down and the Corona Virus Economy?

I think it’s a bit early to tell, given we don’t yet know the economic impact. I suspect Wyndham will wait to see what Q1 and Q2 2020 has to say economically both from a macroeconomic perspective and from a microeconomic (read Wyndham) perspective, before making any announcement. That said, I would surmise any change will be delayed into 2021, or until the economy comes out of recession, whichever takes longer. Right now most economists are predicting at least two quarters of recession, although some are predicting 3-4 quarters of recession before we see any recovery - depending on how long and deep the forced shutdown lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My best guess would be it'll depend on if they think it will increase sales (to implement or delay). They'll do whatever makes the most sense for their bottle line.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I'm with Sandi Bo. I don't think the virus will necessarily be a factor. Wyndham execs will don their strategic thinking caps and try to come up with something.

Since it appears the travel industry will bite the big one (already has?), Wyndham will have many more matters to consider than when to roll out the new VIP levels.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I'm with Sandi Bo. I don't think the virus will necessarily be a factor. Wyndham execs will don their strategic thinking caps and try to come up with something.

Since it appears the travel industry will bite the big one (already has?), Wyndham will have many more matters to consider than when to roll out the new VIP levels.

Honestly I’m not sure just how long Wyndham will survive in its current form. They just drew down on a $1B line of credit - yet they only have about 1.2B in cash and cash equivalents after doing so. Q1 is generally their weakest revenue quarter and their most costly expense quarter especially given the dividend payouts (which just increased 11% this year) that must occur before end of March. The CEO and execs have already announced either complete or significant pay cuts. I figure layoffs are coming next soon after. They have enough cash to last for perhaps six months at most given their cash burn and current leverage of 2.7x.

I hope I’m wrong of course - but am not encouraged from what I’ve learned so far in looking at their financial numbers. They will also have to pay back that credit line at some point of course. Tough times ahead for anyone in the timeshare and hotel sectors for sure.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly I’m not sure just how long Wyndham will survive in its current form. They just drew down on a $1B line of credit - yet they only have about 1.2B in cash and cash equivalents after doing so. Q1 is generally their weakest revenue quarter and their most costly expense quarter especially given the dividend payouts (which just increased 11% this year) that must occur before end of March. The CEO and execs have already announced either complete or significant pay cuts. I figure layoffs are coming next soon after. They have enough cash to last for perhaps six months at most given their cash burn and current leverage of 2.7x.

I hope I’m wrong of course - but am not encouraged from what I’ve learned so far in looking at their financial numbers. They will also have to pay back that credit line at some point of course. Tough times ahead for anyone in the timeshare and hotel sectors for sure.

I guess cutting the maintenance fees while resorts are shut is out of the question then?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I guess cutting the maintenance fees while resorts are shut is out of the question then?
I thought Maintenance Fees went to the resorts?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they go to the resorts except for a management to pay for the reservation system, etc.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they go to the resorts except for a management to pay for the reservation system, etc.
Whats the chance they forgive management of reservations fees?

Worker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think with fewer staff, fewer reserve funds for marketing,fewer buyers of timeshares, closure of properties till May 1 (for now), Wyndham will delay New VIP Levels.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Isn’t Wyndham still providing reservation and other management services? Why wouldn’t they get paid their management fee’s?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Complete nonsense!!
When a snowbird goes south for months in the winter, are they responsible for the monthly expenses on their house?? Of course they are
Same way for those with a second home-vacation home do they only pay the monthly bills for the property that they are currently residing at or both homes? Both

If you had any common sense at all, you wouldn’t be asking these ridiculous questions trying to stir the pot!

To all on this forum, the only way to stop this nonsense is for all of us to STOP responding to any & all dgalati post!!
I’m joining others putting him on the ignore list for good!! Dgalati is NOT a Wyndham owner

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Dgalati a Wyndham troll?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think with fewer staff, fewer reserve funds for marketing,fewer buyers of timeshares, closure of properties till May 1 (for now), Wyndham will delay New VIP Levels.
Buying HGVC is out of the question now also?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I think they are going to have a lot of problems from people defaulting, so if anything they will improve VIP levels to lower amounts to get people to buy. I don't know if any else has come up with a plan for when times get tough (think depression, not recession). I'm assuming that my husband will make nothing the next to years and my teacher's salary is all that we will have, so if I need a new car, which is likely within the next 2 years, I will end up defaulting on a few things to get by and Wyndham is the first on the list if I can't rent out my points at cost (currently $5.6 per thousand).

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

It seems unlikely in these uncertain times that any hospitality company is going to be in a position to buy another hospitality company, at least until we see how things shake out for them financially.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

See quote below.

[/QUOTE]

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
See quote below.

[/QUOTE]And how much did they draw down? Is there cash flow less than expenses? By how much did they draw down? How much is $1.2 billion compared to normal cash reserves. I'm impressed you know all that!!! Maybe the draw down was to buy HGVC?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

How much did they draw down on the $1.2 billion? Why did they draw on the line of credit? What about club fees they didn't go go down or change.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are going to have a lot of problems from people defaulting, so if anything they will improve VIP levels to lower amounts to get people to buy. I don't know if any else has come up with a plan for when times get tough (think depression, not recession). I'm assuming that my husband will make nothing the next to years and my teacher's salary is all that we will have, so if I need a new car, which is likely within the next 2 years, I will end up defaulting on a few things to get by and Wyndham is the first on the list if I can't rent out my points at cost (currently $5.6 per thousand).
Unfortunately many will have to make some tough choices ahead.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
How much did they draw down on the $1.2 billion? Why did they draw on the line of credit? What about club fees they didn't go go down or change.

Wyndam has access to a $1B credit line - they drew down on the entire line this month. Currently they have cash and cash equivalents of around 1.2B after doing so. Wyndham drew down because they need the cash to survive. Fees don’t amount to much in so far as revenue goes - the majority of Wyndham revenue comes from VOIs (Vacation Ownership Investments), or developer sales. Since all VOIs are suspended - their primary revenue source has disappeared through at least end of April, and probably well beyond that given the recession/depression that is all but inevitable at this point.

Last edited:

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
It seems unlikely in these uncertain times that any hospitality company is going to be in a position to buy another hospitality company, at least until we see how things shake out for them financially.
If things are that bad for the Hospitality / Lodging industry, mergers and acquisitions may be the only way to survive. If Wyndham or HGVC or any other timeshare management company has their back against the wall, they may have to sell out.

But as Raygo123 said, we don't know what Wyndham is going to do with their 1.2 billion dollars of cash. Seems like a lot to draw all at once to cover operating expenses.

Bob