• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Filing for Unemployment

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My son is having a hard time understanding how to file. I know every state is different. He went on line on Friday evening and filed since everyone, including me, told him to file right away. He said there were a lot of confusing questions but he got through it, indicated that Friday the 28th was his last day, and then when it got to the last screen it gave him a claim #. But the thing is at that point it "said" he was filing for 3/22 which of course he was not! It said you are always filing for the week before. Then it said because he is on a temporary lay off he has to file weekly- he thinks. It is saying he has to file again this week- for last week- well- he worked last week!

And here is some verbiage from the FAQ's on the website, making it seem more confusing. I couldn't not help him. Judging from comments on their Facebook page people are having an awful time trying to file.

How and When Do I File A Claim?
A. This is the first claim you file after becoming unemployed, your first claim in a Benefit Year. It is not a request for compensation, but it serves as a notice to the Department and your employer that you may claim benefits.
You must register and file your initial claim application over the Internet. Your claim is effective the Sunday of the calendar week in which it is opened. To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked, you must file your initial claim within 3 (three) business days of your last day worked.

But then it says:

You must file no later than the last day of the first week for which you wish to file for benefits.

I've Just Been Laid Off. What do I do?

A. If you have lost your job or had your hours of work reduced, file a new claim or reopen an existing claim via the Internet at our web site or visit the nearest NH Employment Security office to file your claim on a computer in our Resource Center. Open your claim during the week your hours are reduced or, if you became unemployed from full-time work on Thursday or Friday, open your claim on Sunday or Monday. If you live in another State and your last employment was in New Hampshire, you may file your claim over the Internet. If you do not have access to the Internet or need language assistance, you may call 1-800-266-2252 to speak to a Customer Service Representative during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).

Well you can see the contradictions here. Of course, this is only on the FAQ page. I do not know what was in the instructions when he was filing.

He started the claim on the same day which was his last day worked (so he filed within the 3 business days of the last day worked it said to as per above) and he did indicate it was his last day. But why does it say "To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked"? I mean why would someone claim a week that they last worked? Shouldn't it be the 1st week you DID NOT work?

You get what I am saying here?

Anyway- I am thinking he should just keep filing each week. Worse comes to worse they will deny the w/e 3/22 and 3/28- which they should since he worked- and then eventually approve his claim for w/e 4/3 and going forward.

I admit I am not very bright, but I am not totally stupid. How to people with less intellect get through all this? The offices are closed so you can only do it on line or on the phone- good luck getting through. They are now rationing on line claims and phone calls via the first letter of your last name.

My son has already had it. I do not know what to advise him either.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I am so sorry he lost his job and is having to file. I know my son will do the same if it happens. We talked about it last week.

As far as I know, one does need to file their claim every week. Most states require one to list the jobs they applied for during the previous week. Hope that makes sense.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
My daughter has filed for unemployment in MN and she does need to request her benefit every week. I'm assuming that's to force people to verify that they are still unemployed. In MN, there was usually a week's delay in receiving benefits, meaning you didn't get a benefit for the first week you didn’t work. That has been waived now.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am so sorry he lost his job and is having to file. I know my son will do the same if it happens. We talked about it last week.

As far as I know, one does need to file their claim every week. Most states require one to list the jobs they applied for during the previous week. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks. But file for last week even though he worked last week? I am thinking what the heck- file- and they will reject it- so what? Then just keep filing each week.

Right now he is temporarily laid off so I would not think he has to show a job he applied for going forward since the theory is he should be hired back at some point. Especially because it is due to the virus. Not sure if there was a question about the virus on his application.

It is hard because we can't be with him to go online to see what he did or how it is all set up. Such BS. I think what the state should have done is just ask a few short questions and eliminate all the rest of the crap for now and just send people the checks they need. No time for this nonsense in a crisis.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My daughter has filed for unemployment in MN and she does need to request her benefit every week. I'm assuming that's to force people to verify that they are still unemployed. In MN, there was usually a week's delay in receiving benefits, meaning you didn't get a benefit for the first week you didn’t work. That has been waived now.

The governor here eliminated the one week wait also, thankfully.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I helped my son file last weekend, he was sent home on 17th and told he would be called back when the state lifted the shelter in place order. The online filing is specific to each state so it may be different here in CA. It was fairly simple, it found his employer record and allowed me to put in the last day he worked, 16th. I had to fill in his total income for the 4 quarters prior. The only confusing part was the reason, they didn’t have one for state of emergency from pandemic, I picked locked out and due to public health emergency.

It indicated there would be a telephone interview scheduled but I doubt it will happen, CA already has over 1 million filed.

I went on unemployment in 2011 in the wake of the 08 recession and there were so many claims CA was using contractors to hold group meeting/interviews - I just had to go there and check in and sit through a one hour powerpoint. They issued a BofA debit card and put the funds on there every 2 weeks. It lasted a long time, there were 4 federal extensions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Thanks. But file for last week even though he worked last week? I am thinking what the heck- file- and they will reject it- so what? Then just keep filing each week.

Right now he is temporarily laid off so I would not think he has to show a job he applied for going forward since the theory is he should be hired back at some point. Especially because it is due to the virus. Not sure if there was a question about the virus on his application.

It is hard because we can't be with him to go online to see what he did or how it is all set up. Such BS. I think what the state should have done is just ask a few short questions and eliminate all the rest of the crap for now and just send people the checks they need. No time for this nonsense in a crisis.
Excellent points! His claim for last week may be rejected. I have been told to file asap, too, but it wasn't until the following week. And, at that time, there was a 2-week delay before benefits began (unlike what Mr. MN just posted).

Another variable you mentioned is that he is just "laid off." So, it sounds like he expects to be "called back." This is common in many industries and there are different rules for temporary layoffs.

I am sure he will be just fine :) He is a college grad :) Is he asking you for help? Or, are you simply concerned?

For me, it's always the latter. My sons are married and haven't asked for my help in years, but that doesn't mean I don't offer..nor, have I stopped worrying at times :)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
There is a Federal Unemployment that people should sign up for that was included in the Stimulus Bill. It give recipients an additional $600 a week.

I left a link on the Stimulus post.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Excellent points! His claim for last week may be rejected. I have been told to file asap, too, but it wasn't until the following week. And, at that time, there was a 2-week delay before benefits began (unlike what Mr. MN just posted).

Another variable you mentioned is that he is just "laid off." So, it sounds like he expects to be "called back." This is common in many industries and there are different rules for temporary layoffs.

I am sure he will be just fine :) He is a college grad :) Is he asking you for help? Or, are you simply concerned?

For me, it's always the latter. My sons are married and haven't asked for my help in years, but that doesn't mean I don't offer..nor, have I stopped worrying at times :)

You are lucky.

No- he called me yesterday first with a question about a question on the application- again- I didn't understand it either. He had several part-time jobs and they were asking which one was his FIRST one AFTER 9/27/18. HUH? He wasn't putting in a claim for his part-time jobs, just his full time job so I told him to just say it was his main job. What the heck the "first" one means I have no clue. Stupid way to ask a question.

Then after he submitted it he called- that is when he was really confused because he said there was no mention about the w/e 3/22 until after he hit the submit button.

Part of the thing is my son is not married and no girlfriend either. He rarely asks for help- I will say that. But he is alone and I do worry about him and knowing his personality he will just say forget it because he does not want to deal with it. Can't say that I blame him but he needs this money and he has to do this. Everything is a darn fight.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
There is a Federal Unemployment that people should sign up for that was included in the Stimulus Bill. It give recipients an additional $600 a week.

I left a link on the Stimulus post.

Bill

I don't see a link just videos.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I don't see a link just videos.

Yes, the videos explain what to do. One video is for free SBA loans and the other is for unemployment. There are links below the you tube videos at youtube. If you watch the video through Tug you won't see the links that Kevin has under his video as they are on youtube.

Bill

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I signed up 2 weeks ago in Ohio. It is a bear to understand because with the overload on the website it shuts you out often. And then after 2 weeks, my boss text me and said they will be paying me thru April 6. Boss must have notified unemployment because now I have a lot of red envelope correspondences that I can’t open. It is still asking to apply for 2 jobs a week but other communications are saying I don’t have to. If he got a claim number, he’s listed. It will just take time to work out the headaches.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes, the videos explain what to do. One video is for free SBA loans and the other is for unemployment. There are links below the you tube videos at youtube. If you watch the video through Tug you won't see the links that Kevin has under his video as they are on youtube.

Bill

Basically it just says to go on your states unemployment website. The bill is still new, so not there yet.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Basically it just says to go on your states unemployment website. The bill is still new, so not there yet.
As far as I know, the new additional $600 a week is still administered through the state unemployment insurance programs. The money is just transferred from the federal level to the states to pay for it.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
You are lucky.

No- he called me yesterday fist with a question about a question on the application- again- I didn't understand it either. He had several part-time jobs and they were asking which one was his FIRST one AFTER 9/27/18. HUH? He wasn't putting in a claim for his part-time jobs, just his full time job so I told him to just say it was his main job. What the heck the "first" one means I have no clue. Stupid way to ask a question.

Then after he submitted it he called- that is when he was really confused because he said there was no mention about the w/e 3/22 until after he hit the submit button.

Part of the thing is my son is not married and no girlfriend either. He rarely asks for help- I will say that. But he is alone and I do worry about him and knowing his personality he will just say forget it because he does not want to deal with it. Can't say that I blame him but he needs this money and he has to do this. Everything is a darn fight.
ah, yes! You are so right. I get it. I think it does help when they find their beloved. I know it has been a big relief for me.

It's great that you are there for him! And, he can reach out to you! He is entitled to his UI. Wishing him the best of luck!