• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Increased Home Security in a Recession?

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not one to overreact, but maybe you or someone you know is overreacting? I am not talking about just hoarding TP and water.
Have you purchased a firearm or weapon? Do you own one already?
Are you considering a home security system?
Do you think there may be looting or an increase in home robberies? (What type of area do you live in?)

I heard that Asians are buying firearms because this is a "China" virus.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Cohen and Felson would like a moment of your time.

Applying Routine Activities Theory suggests we should expect less crime in and around the home place as more gatekeepers are present.
The question to be answered is (assuming the previous is correct), where will the crime shift to - what location?

300px-Routine_activity_theory.png

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Bought most of our firearms years ago. My Christmas Gift from Patti was a Semi-automatic 12 Gauge Shotgun with 2 magazines. One for 7 Rounds and one for 15 Rounds.

Do not put up NRA Stickers around your House or signs that say things like "This House Protect by Smith & Wesson." From previous News Interviews with professional Burglars they like these signs because they know they will found firearms.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Don't have guns, aren't planning on buying any for this.

Our home security system is broken right now. We're trying to get someone out to take a look at it. Since we are home all the time it's not a huge priority.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am not one to overreact, but maybe you or someone you know is overreacting? I am not talking about just hoarding TP and water.
Do you think there may be looting or an increase in home robberies? (What type of area do you live in?)

Again- people should always be as prepared as they can be for any emergency and that includes guns. Here we are loaded up with those as hubby was a hunter and also enjoys shooting for sport. He also reloads (for those that don't know- means he makes his own ammunition).

We also have always had a security system. As soon as we closed on this house the first thing we did was to have one installed (with monitoring)

Where I used to work in NY last night there was civil unrest in the ghetto streets near the hospital. And so it begins.

And it doesn't matter what kind of area you live in. You need protection. Anything can happen at anytime. Be ready.

You might also want to consider a dog.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
....and you consider this an unbiased source?. The author's background suggests otherwise.

Look, I agree with some points made because gun safety is a co responsibility with gun ownership.
But this article is not reaearch on the matter.

geekette

Reaction score
.... And it doesn't matter what kind of area you live in. You need protection. Anything can happen at anytime. Be ready.

I actively choose to not live my life scared. Your choice is different. So it goes.

Brett

Reaction score

That was on the news recently but I don't think (or hope) there will be gun battles between Asians and whites and blacks / browns if this coronavirus pandemic becomes an apocalypse and people are fighting each other for supplies, food, TP, etc.

(I don't own a gun and believe this pandemic recession may actually result in less crime)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
(I don't own a gun and believe this pandemic recession may actually result in less crime)

Cohen and Felson agree with you.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree that crime can drop if people are staying home 24/7. However, what about empty office buildings and vacation homes? Those are bigger targets.

And consider that homes have more cash nowadays. I usually keep no extra cash, but I withdrew a bit just to keep around the house.

Also, keep in mind that if you are a criminal, the legal folks (lawyers and judges) may be quarantined. You are more likely to just get a slap on the wrist instead of doing jail time in this environment.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Difference between an occupied home and unoccupied home - burglary vs home invasion.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not connected with coronavirus at all, but the adult 'kids' bought us Ring cameras to put around the house. I set them up, and oddly, they give me a measure of 'peace of mind'. We live in a very 'sleepy' neighborhood, and we feel quite safe here. Strangely, (I guess) a local pawn shop was featured on the TV news last week that in THREE DAYS, they'd sold A MILLION ROUNDS! of ammunition! OMG! What are people worried about? Somebody coming after their toilet paper?

Jim

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Difference between an occupied home and unoccupied home - burglary vs home invasion.

While legal definitions will differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction typically, when someone is arrested for breaking and entering another person's residence, prosecutors can and often will, charge the individual with both Burglary and Home Invasion. Keep in mind that some jurisdictions don't recognize a charge of Home Invasion. Some only charge Burglary or Breaking and Entering. Burglary can be defined as entering a residence at night or after sunset. Breaking and Entering is committed during the daylight hours.

I've known jurisdiction where Home Invasion is defined as forcibly entering an occupied residence. Keep in mind that to be considered an occupied residence, it means only that someone must live in the residence however, that individual does not have to be at home at the time the crime is committed.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't have guns, aren't planning on buying any for this.

Our home security system is broken right now. We're trying to get someone out to take a look at it. Since we are home all the time it's not a huge priority.

When you're home is when you need a security system. If you're not home, let them take whatever they want. Most anything can be replaced, your life can't. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When you're home is when you need a security system. If you're not home, let them take whatever they want. Most anything can be replaced, your life can't. ;)
We have one, we'll get it fixed. I'm not too concerned about someone trying to get into our house when we're here, and even when we're not.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not connected with Wcoronavirus at all, but the adult 'kids' bought us Ring cameras to put around the house. I set them up, and oddly, they give me a measure of 'peace of mind'. We live in a very 'sleepy' neighborhood, and we feel quite safe here. Strangely, (I guess) a local pawn shop was featured on the TV news last week that in THREE DAYS, they'd sold A MILLION ROUNDS! of ammunition! OMG! What are people worried about? Somebody coming after their toilet paper?

Jim
Why does a pawn shop sell ammunition?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
.... And it doesn't matter what kind of area you live in. You need protection. Anything can happen at anytime. Be ready.

I actively choose to not live my life scared. Your choice is different. So it goes.

We are not scared. We are prepared. My brotherinlaw in Delaware just had a situation where he was watching TV in the dark and someone broke the glass in his back door. This was around 7 pm. He immediately got up and grabbed his shotgun and waited patiently as the man's hand reached in to grab the door knob. Hshouted to him that he will regret it if he steps foot in the house. The intruder ran, surprised someone was home. My BIL said he was not scared at all. He was just ready to shoot the guy if he stepped into the house. Period.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not connected with coronavirus at all, but the adult 'kids' bought us Ring cameras to put around the house. I set them up, and oddly, they give me a measure of 'peace of mind'. We live in a very 'sleepy' neighborhood, and we feel quite safe here. Strangely, (I guess) a local pawn shop was featured on the TV news last week that in THREE DAYS, they'd sold A MILLION ROUNDS! of ammunition! OMG! What are people worried about? Somebody coming after their toilet paper?

Jim

Civil unrest. Which actually just occurred last night in the city I worked in.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does a pawn shop sell ammunition?
Because they also deal in a lot of firearms, Remember, I live in somewhat rural Idaho! Lotsa cowboy types. They lissen to BOTH kinds of music here. Country AND Western. :)