• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii. Go or No Go?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Our local Total Wine is still running ads in the paper. Does that mean they are open?

I think they are open, but i have not been in recently. I know our local store was promoting curbside pickup.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
California stores seem to be open, so that bodes well.

Cheers.

In Washington, the marijuana shops are open as well. It's considered an essential business. :D

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Cheers.
Also some wineries are doing shipments and waiving the shipping fees.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Cheers.
I've been ordering lately from Vivino. I've compared their prices to wine.com and Costco, and they are as good or better in most cases. Using the Vivino app at Costco you can take a picture of a bottle and it will tell you their price (along with a full rating and review of the wine). Very handy. You can also take a picture of the wine list in a restaurant (if we ever get to go to one again) and will scan the wine list and rate each wine, and you can get a review of it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our local Total Wine is still running ads in the paper. Does that mean they are open?
Total Wines is an essential employers. Liked Costco, Trader Joe’s and your state Alcohol Beverage stores. LOL.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The State Liquor Stores are clearly essential (and open) here. Booze stuffs $$$ into the State coffers. In the grocery stores the shelves are full of beer and wine. Just don't expect TP or paper towels to be available to wipe up spills.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just don't expect TP or paper towels to be available to wipe up spills.

Sorry, who wipes up alcohol spills rather than slurping them up? Business as usual here :)

On another board I have read that state liquor stores in PA are not "critical" enough to be open.

Cheers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
In Washington, the marijuana shops are open as well. It's considered an essential business. :D
Same in Colorado. The dispensaries and liquor stores were specifically listed as "essential" stores that could remain open amid the state-wide shelter in place directive.

Kurt

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same in Colorado. The dispensaries and liquor stores were specifically listed as "essential" stores that could remain open amid the state-wide shelter in place directive.

Kurt

I am not sure if all dispensaries are considered essential in California, but i know the ones licensed to sell "medical" marijuana are technically pharmacies so they are considered essential.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

Dave

It should be essential in Washington! DC, I mean.

Harry

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Its a simple explanation, pot shops bring in huge tax revenue, ergo they are essential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The State Liquor Stores are clearly essential (and open) here. Booze stuffs $$$ into the State coffers. In the grocery stores the shelves are full of beer and wine. Just don't expect TP or paper towels to be available to wipe up spills.

The main reason that the shelves are full with beer and wine is that most places require ID to get alcohol and, therefore, you can't buy it using the delivery or pick-up services that many people are using to comply with social distancing requirements. I agree that alcohol is highly taxed so that it does bring in money to coffers. One interesting thing about Hawaii versus NY is that Hawaii taxes food in supermarkets and NY doesn't so that Hawaii is still getting the GET on all the necessary food being bought where NY is not.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting article in the WSJ talked about 'essentials' around the globe. France has baguettes, Belgium frites, and the Netherlands cannabis.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The main reason that the shelves are full with beer and wine is that most places require ID to get alcohol and, therefore, you can't buy it using the delivery or pick-up services that many people are using to comply with social distancing requirements.

Actually, it can be delivered. it just needs an adult to sign for it. We periodically have wine shipped with no problem.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW I overheard a gentleman at Trader Joes who said that he just bought toilet paper at the liquor store. I presume that makes it "essential." ;)

Our local ale house has added curbside grocery selling food, bleach and TP via their wholesale connections. Of course you can also pick up your favorite ale. Prices are reasonable too - less than some of the grocery stores. Nice to support local businesses.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Actually, it can be delivered. it just needs an adult to sign for it. We periodically have wine shipped with no problem.

Cheers.
We usually get our wine and beer from Sam's or Target where the shelves I am sure are full. Both of those websites will not sell without an ID to show the checkout person. We have gotten wine delivered before from a wine wholesaler and an adult only needed to sign on delivery.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
We usually get our wine and beer from Sam's or Target where the shelves I am sure are full. Both of those websites will not sell without an ID to show the checkout person. We have gotten wine delivered before from a wine wholesaler and an adult only needed to sign on delivery.

We’ve bought through Shipt from Meijer and we can buy alcohol. They take a scan of your drivers license as proof of age.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
In Washington you can get almost any booze at Costco and a few blocks away from Costco is the pot store right in front of Winco. Both places are busy. Oddly, I have enough booze and pot stocked up to last a long time but I don't really drink, smoke or toke anymore.

It looks like the family Hawaii trip is off for New Years. I haven't cancelled yet but odds are I will. Never was a huge fan of Waikiki anyway.

Bill

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two days ago I shopped at a large package store to buy a case of Yuengling and a case Harpoon beer, I ended up with two cases of Harpoon.

There were much less than half the usual number cases. Many brands gone. Plenty of expensive 6-packs in the refrig.

Either they are reluctant to restock or beer is being stockpiled.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Cheers.

We belong to couple of wine clubs, where the winery ships a case of wine periodically throughout the year. I noticed the charge from Tobin James winery hit my credit card last weekend,, had to make a quick call to have the shipment rerouted from work to my home address... Not sure when i will be back in the office.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We belong to couple of wine clubs, where the winery ships a case of wine periodically throughout the year. I noticed the charge from Tobin James winery hit my credit card last weekend,, had to make a quick call to have the shipment rerouted from work to my home address... Not sure when i will be back in the office.

We have moved all of our mail to the UPS store in the Village, so they sign for everything. We only belong to local Santa Cruz Mountains wineries where we can pick up. They can hold it for us for now. We'll be back to visit them :)

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Washington you can get almost any booze at Costco and a few blocks away from Costco is the pot store right in front of Winco. Both places are busy. Oddly, I have enough booze and pot stocked up to last a long time but I don't really drink, smoke or toke anymore.

It looks like the family Hawaii trip is off for New Years. I haven't cancelled yet but odds are I will. Never was a huge fan of Waikiki anyway.

Bill

If you go now you would love Waikiki now. It is more like Molokai than what Waikiki was!!!