• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would make you travel in the next couple of months?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Stay well.

I still have my reservations for flights to Seattle at the end of May. Alaska Airlines is waiving change and cancellation fees and I would get credits for future flights. However we don't fly Alaska much anymore and I would rather have a refund. So I'm waiting to cancel the flights (I did cancel the hotel) in hopes my flights will be cancelled or changed. If not I will take the credit and use it within the next year.....but not in May or June of this year.
A problem may be that you will have to use the credits to fly within a year of when you purchased the tickets. For a friend of ours, she cancelled a United flight, no fees but has to fly again by November of this year.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one way tickets for may 9 to return to Wisconsin for the summer, hope to go but fear we won’t be able to. Sure miss my grandkids

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
A problem may be that you will have to use the credits to fly within a year of when you purchased the tickets. For a friend of ours, she cancelled a United flight, no fees but has to fly again by November of this year.
I understand. Some airlines have relaxed those rules, some have not. But I'll tell you, I am NOT flying to Seattle the end of May. I wouldn't be doing it even if I lost what it cost to book the flights. At this point I would have to travel by October 25 of this year if I got a credit. I would have until February 2021 if I changed it.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I understand. Some airlines have relaxed those rules, some have not. But I'll tell you, I am NOT flying to Seattle the end of May. I wouldn't be doing it even if I lost what it cost to book the flights. At this point I would have to travel by October 25 of this year if I got a credit. I would have until February 2021 if I changed it.
The only airline I am aware of that has relaxed the rule is Southwest, they are making their air credit valid through June 2021.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The only airline I am aware of that has relaxed the rule is Southwest, they are making their air credit valid through June 2021.
On the dates yes it looks like SW is the only one that relaxed them. Other airlines have relaxed the rules on the fees for change and cancellation.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to travel in-state to the NJ shore starting May 22nd, but I cancelled my April and early May trips.

We still have a reservation for a Mediterranean cruise in late August, but will evaluate the world situation at the end of May.

Anyone else suffering travel withdrawals? Not ignoring or minimizing the need to SIP, but enjoying and sharing travel experiences has been a major part of my life for over 20 years and I feel a piece of my personality is missing. I thought I would enjoy traveling for many more years until my health prohibited it, I never imagined a pandemic would ground the entire global population.

Thrilled that I got to experience so many fabulous trips around the world as who knows what travel restrictions the future will bring.

Maria

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
You don't know my friend. For her it IS essential travel. She was supposed to fly there for the baby shower and decided only a day or so before to cancel. The other set of grandparents are in Italy, the wife is [still] in the military so she's not allowed to fly. The husband [retired military] is planning to fly to Seattle, but who knows if he'll be allowed out, or allowed into the U.S. The whole thing is a mess.
And this is what is causing the USA numbers to skyrocket. Many people feel they are special.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would like to travel in-state to the NJ shore starting May 22nd, but I cancelled my April and early May trips.

We still have a reservation for a Mediterranean cruise in late August, but will evaluate the world situation at the end of May.

Anyone else suffering travel withdrawals? Not ignoring or minimizing the need to SIP, but enjoying and sharing travel experiences has been a major part of my life for over 20 years and I feel a piece of my personality is missing. I thought I would enjoy traveling for many more years until my health prohibited it, I never imagined a pandemic would ground the entire global population.

Thrilled that I got to experience so many fabulous trips around the world as who knows what travel restrictions the future will bring.

Maria
Yes, so many aspects of my Personality are stripped away. I was hoping the N.C. mountains mid June and now am doubting that will happen. Even the jersey shore this summer I am now questioning.

All I know is once I can travel again, it will have a different meaning as so many other things will.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Been travelling since November (snowbird). Might not stop until June. Why? Why go home to a boring big city suburb when i am in a beautiful small mountain village with plenty of groceries, tp etc, daily walks through amazing trails (pic from today attached) and no people! So peaceful i may stay awhile, 2700 miles from home.
7392f121bfe36536ffb62b592dc450b3.jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And this is what is causing the USA numbers to skyrocket. Many people feel they are special.

I really don't think my friend thinks she is special. I think what is primarily on her mind is this is her first grandchild. In her world it's all about the grandkids. She's already told me that when she and her dh retire (I think they're still a good 10 years away or so) they plan to move wherever the grandkids are. She said she intends to be the kind of grandmother who is at every game, birthday party, etc.

I think at this point she's not thinking of any consequences. I just read that Alaska Airlines is going to cancel about 70% of their flights into Seattle in April and May. It also seems that since Seattle is such a hotbed that other locations are going require self-quarantine when people return. Maybe the state of WA will start prohibiting people from entering. I don't think ANY of this has crossed her mind.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really don't think my friend thinks she is special. I think what is primarily on her mind is this is her first grandchild. In her world it's all about the grandkids. She's already told me that when she and her dh retire (I think they're still a good 10 years away or so) they plan to move wherever the grandkids are. She said she intends to be the kind of grandmother who is at every game, birthday party, etc.

I think at this point she's not thinking of any consequences. I just read that Alaska Airlines is going to cancel about 70% of their flights into Seattle in April and May. It also seems that since Seattle is such a hotbed that other locations are going require self-quarantine when people return. Maybe the state of WA will start prohibiting people from entering. I don't think ANY of this has crossed her mind.
Your response was "you don't know my friend". She thinks she is special.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Well, if becoming a grandma for the first time makes her special, then yes. She and I have differing opinions on a lot of family things. I know her family drives her nuts at times, but she will be there for them when needed. She was upset she couldn't go to the shower for her daughter in law and is determined to be there after the birth. When I was pregnant I didn't expect my mother to come for any showers I had and I also didn't expect her to be there for the birth, or soon after.

It's just a whole different philosophy about things.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as travel plans:
We are supposed to fly out of New York on May 14th, condo outside Paris for a week, with 3 days at DLP and then several days in Paris at AirBnB(which I haven't booked yet-held off in Jan/Feb when all this started). Tickets purchased for travel to Paris only. Again held off on flights to/from NYC as all this was starting when I started looking. Flights home from Paris/NYC haven't changed (if anything a few bucks cheaper).
With all the flexibility in flight changes I am planning on booking the flights to/from NYC by end of month (generally the deadline to change any ticket booked this month for travel later) as flights are now dirt cheap. And I've retraded the condo for 2 weeks later (still have 2 more trades as I purchased the Etrade flexibility when I did the first booking-something I never did before, but glad I did now, through II), will move the Disneyland Paris reservation (no charge for change fee or package and will keep the same package even though choosing more expensive date). Will probably book AirBnB too for the later dates, but only one with good cancellation policy. I figure nothing to lose really-even if restrictions stay or extend I anticipate the airlines etc will extend the change flexibility too.
To sum up-yes still planning travel just pushed it out 2 weeks from original travel date-from originally ~7 weeks out to 9 weeks out. Seems 6-8 weeks was estimate (as of last week) so hoping this gives me more of a cushion.

Hi. Have you not seen this advisory about avoiding all international travel?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We have a flight on 4/11 to Rome, Italy with Delta. If they do not cancel the flight, we will just get a credit. I don't want a credit for two first class seats on Delta to/from Rome. We paid a lot. I want my money back. I am waiting and hoping they will cancel the flight and will have to refund. It's out of JFK.

Then of course we have the cruise going out of Rome. I am not going on a cruise in these times. I want my money back on that. A credit is not going to work for us.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the same circumstances as Rick and Cindy. A big expensive trip to Iceland in June. I don’t want vouchers or credits. I want Iceland Air refund, Vantage World Travel refund, and Collette refund. I’ll cut the nice Iceland local who is supposed to rent us a little house along with a car some slack, he can keep the deposit.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort

Goaliedave, where are you? That is a beautiful photo!

I don't think I'm venturing very far over the next couple of months. By end of June, I hope to get over to NH. Only about 100 miles, but a world away in terms of my mental health! I truly won't care about restaurants/etc being closed. It will be nice to shelter-in-place looking at 4 different walls! We'll have to see how things go, though.

This is the first April break in 20 years that I've been home. Sigh. The April break week is the first timeshare week we bought. Elliott, my eldest son, was 4. Looking forward to the next little timeshare trip is what makes me tick. Like many of you, I feel as though a huge part of me is gone. Yes, I understand that it's a "want" and not a "need." Doesn't make it hurt any less.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've cancelled plans for a trip to Maui on April 26 and don't intend to travel until things are safer. It's not worth the risk!

I have a new granddaughter born in February that I haven't seen yet. I don't want to expose her, her siblings or parents to any germs we might have, so we'll wait to meet her.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too had to cancel for end of April into the first 2 weeks of May to the Baltuc countries. In process of rebooking as it's a tour.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
No problem with TAP airlines. Very flexible with new dates or a voucher good for one year .. for me it works.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
With what I know now I wouldn't book a trip in May. I'm half thinking about canceling what we have planned for July! And that's a driving destination, not a flying one.

But, I am in a high risk group (I have asthma) so maybe that's part of my thinking. But I wouldn't want to get anyone else sick either, like my mom.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We have a flight on 4/11 to Rome, Italy with Delta....I want my money back... Then of course we have the cruise going out of Rome... I want my money back on that.

I am in the same circumstances as Rick and Cindy. A big expensive trip to Iceland in June. I don’t want vouchers or credits. I want Iceland Air refund, Vantage World Travel refund, and Collette refund...

Fat chance. Once they have your $$, they're very reluctant to let it go.
So far, all we've gotten are credits or silence...

Delta Domestic (May) = We cancelled. Credit to be used by 12/31.
Cosmos' Swiss Rail Tour = They cancelled. Credit for use thru 2022.
Still waiting to hear...
HAL Cruise (Boston-Montreal) = Not cancelled yet (Canadian ports closed)
Delta Internat'l (June) - Not cancelled yet. Expect a credit.
Oberammergau "Passion Play" Tour - They'll get back to us.

I find it ironic that they want us to take out cancellation protection, yet they don't seem to have any themselves. You'd think that they could have some insurance against operational disruptions.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Goaliedave, where are you? That is a beautiful photo!

I don't think I'm venturing very far over the next couple of months. By end of June, I hope to get over to NH. Only about 100 miles, but a world away in terms of my mental health! I truly won't care about restaurants/etc being closed. It will be nice to shelter-in-place looking at 4 different walls! We'll have to see how things go, though.

This is the first April break in 20 years that I've been home. Sigh. The April break week is the first timeshare week we bought. Elliott, my eldest son, was 4. Looking forward to the next little timeshare trip is what makes me tick. Like many of you, I feel as though a huge part of me is gone. Yes, I understand that it's a "want" and not a "need." Doesn't make it hurt any less.
I'm in Whistler BC Canada, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics. It's heaven with no tourists. Searching rental listings now to stay another month.

df17081a559aaca7b5df551f8fc104c0.jpg

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I ask this as I got an email from a friend today. We were talking about conferences that had been cancelled for my dd and her dh. Then she mentioned that her son is urging her to buy her airplane ticket to Washington (Seattle area) for May. Her first grandchild is due in April. I mean I know it's her first grandchild, but I think I would personally still be hesitant. She also said she and her dh are planning to go to a wedding in Newport, RI at the end of May and have bought their tickets for that.

For myself, unless it was for a medical emergency I don't think I'd plan trips, or flights, for the next few months at least.
Luanne, I understand and sympathize with your friend. My daughter is due to deliver her baby the end of June. She lives in New York and I am in South Carolina. Wild horses couldn’t keep me away. I have a one way flight booked but if flying is still too risky, I’ll drive. I already cancelled my end of March Aruba vacation (should be there right now), Florida and New Orleans in May. I pray that things go back to normal soon. I will continue to self quarantine but there is nothing in this world that would keep me away from my daughter and grand baby.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally can't think of anything that would make me travel right now but I am blessed that my children and grandchildren all live within 4 miles of me and my elderly parents and my brothers all live less than 100 miles away.

If any of them needed me is the only reason that I would travel and I can reach them all by car. I had planned to visit my parents (with my pregnant daughter and my 17 month old granddaughter) two weeks ago and opted to cancel for fear we might expose someone to the virus. I talk to my Mom and Dad every few days and wish I could see them but know that they are safer without us around.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Stay well.

I still have my reservations for flights to Seattle at the end of May. Alaska Airlines is waiving change and cancellation fees and I would get credits for future flights. However we don't fly Alaska much anymore and I would rather have a refund.
I don't know if it would help or not, but I think Alaska has a code sharing agreement with British Airways and American Airlines. Perhaps you could use the credit (if you can't get a refund) on American or BA if you aren't able to use it on Alaska.