• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would make you travel in the next couple of months?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I ask this as I got an email from a friend today. We were talking about conferences that had been cancelled for my dd and her dh. Then she mentioned that her son is urging her to buy her airplane ticket to Washington (Seattle area) for May. Her first grandchild is due in April. I mean I know it's her first grandchild, but I think I would personally still be hesitant. She also said she and her dh are planning to go to a wedding in Newport, RI at the end of May and have bought their tickets for that.

For myself, unless it was for a medical emergency I don't think I'd plan trips, or flights, for the next few months at least.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No way no how I would travel in April or May. Seattle area is a hotspot for COVID-19. It does not matter whether it is Seattle or not, I just won't travel until data show that COVID-19 is under control.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I might book a ticket for mid-May to see a first grandchild as long as I could cancel or change the airline ticket without a fee. Not a big risk to book. But I wouldn't be traveling unless things have changed dramatically in the next six (6) weeks

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm being optimistic.
Hoping to fly Palm Springs to SFO on May 25, then
SFO to Seattle
Seattle to Portland
Portland to SFO
To stay in timeshare starting 06/05.

Haven't bought any tickets yet, but if planes are flying, I'm going.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I might book a ticket for mid-May to see a first grandchild as long as I could cancel or change the airline ticket without a fee. Not a big risk to book. But I wouldn't be traveling unless things have changed dramatically in the next six (6) weeks
I booked a trip today to the beach (Destin) with arrival of May 18. The week was open and i’d love to go before it gets really hot later in the summer. However, I won’t travel then unless it is safe to do so.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
What would "make me" travel in June is that our reservations are only 2 & 3.5 hr driving distance. What would make me think, meh, we'll just stay home is that we've been to these local resorts many many times. Will likely wait until August, but still not getting on a plane or going anywhere with a public transit system.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Unless it was a dire emergency that necessitated travel, not a chance. And even in the event of such an emergency, I would think long and hard first. We love to travel, but travel for us is a "want" not a "need".

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I can understand the wanting to see the new grand baby. It's the wedding I'm really wondering about. In fact I'm wondering if there will even be one.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised your friend would think about traveling to see a new grandbaby in the midst of all this, especially to Seattle where she could pick up something on her way there and pass it on. BUT, that is just me.

The only thing that would make me travel would be if my daughter needed me. If she gets sick or there is some emergency, I'll fly the plane myself if I have to. I'll be getting there one way or another. Otherwise, nothing would make me take a chance on traveling at this point.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I will really only be traveling between all the Hawaiian Islands for business or pleasure for a while, since we just relocated here. As soon as restrictions are lifted I will be traveling again, hopefully May.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There is skype and Facetime for the grand baby. It is not essential travel.
You don't know my friend. For her it IS essential travel. She was supposed to fly there for the baby shower and decided only a day or so before to cancel. The other set of grandparents are in Italy, the wife is [still] in the military so she's not allowed to fly. The husband [retired military] is planning to fly to Seattle, but who knows if he'll be allowed out, or allowed into the U.S. The whole thing is a mess.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The only travel I have in my future is a 6-hour drive to my dad's empty house to continue going through his things and get it ready for movers to take some furniture to my home, and then an estate sale and some cleaning/painting so we can ultimately sell the house. Since it doesn't seem prudent to hire movers for a non-essential move at this stage, let alone an estate sale, that's all basically on hold until those sorts of activities can resume. Fortunately, he owned the house outright before he died so we're only paying minimal utility costs and not a mortgage while we hold it. But I would like to move toward finally settling his estate, so I'd take that trip sooner than I would most other types of travel.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard on tv some L&Ds are not allowing visitors/family due to the virus.

No travel plans here, things are just too iffy now.

People I know just had the NYC dtr fly home a couple days ago.......https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/03/24/new-york-travelers-told-self-quarantine-coronavirus-covid-19/2913222001/ This virus is spreading via the airline travel

You don't know my friend. For her it IS essential travel. She was supposed to fly there for the baby shower and decided only a day or so before to cancel. The other set of grandparents are in Italy, the wife is [still] in the military so she's not allowed to fly. The husband [retired military] is planning to fly to Seattle, but who knows if he'll be allowed out, or allowed into the U.S. The whole thing is a mess.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless the house burns down, we're staying put until the world seems a safer place- or at least until there's someplace 'safe' that we'd rather be.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have heard on tv some L&Ds are not allowing visitors/family due to the virus.
I don't think she's planning on going to the hospital. Baby is due in April, she's going in May.

I know one of our local hospitals as of last week was only allowing one visitor in, and if the dad was already there that meant no other visitors could come in. You also could not come in if you had traveled anywhere in the last 21 days where there had been an outbreak, had any symptoms, or had been around anyone with COVID-19.

Her son is the one urging her to come. His theory is, they (he and the new mom) are already there so his mom (my friend) wouldn't be bringing anything to them that they're not already being exposed to.

I think back and my parents didn't come right away after either of my children were born. I didn't expect them to. In fact my parents were in England when my second daughter was born.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised your friend would think about traveling to see a new grandbaby in the midst of all this, especially to Seattle where she could pick up something on her way there and pass it on. BUT, that is just me.
My daughter came through Seattle end of February and didn't get it. This was way before any travel restrictions or anything really. She was out there on a visit to see the school for grad school. Tried to get tested and nada (she had zero symptoms then or since). Would have been nice to know if exposed etc.

As far as travel plans:
We are supposed to fly out of New York on May 14th, condo outside Paris for a week, with 3 days at DLP and then several days in Paris at AirBnB(which I haven't booked yet-held off in Jan/Feb when all this started). Tickets purchased for travel to Paris only. Again held off on flights to/from NYC as all this was starting when I started looking. Flights home from Paris/NYC haven't changed (if anything a few bucks cheaper).
With all the flexibility in flight changes I am planning on booking the flights to/from NYC by end of month (generally the deadline to change any ticket booked this month for travel later) as flights are now dirt cheap. And I've retraded the condo for 2 weeks later (still have 2 more trades as I purchased the Etrade flexibility when I did the first booking-something I never did before, but glad I did now, through II), will move the Disneyland Paris reservation (no charge for change fee or package and will keep the same package even though choosing more expensive date). Will probably book AirBnB too for the later dates, but only one with good cancellation policy. I figure nothing to lose really-even if restrictions stay or extend I anticipate the airlines etc will extend the change flexibility too.
To sum up-yes still planning travel just pushed it out 2 weeks from original travel date-from originally ~7 weeks out to 9 weeks out. Seems 6-8 weeks was estimate (as of last week) so hoping this gives me more of a cushion.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
What would make me travel between now and the end of May? Nothing. Not one thing. Not business travel. Not leisure travel, where I'm likely to find closed restaurants, museums, beaches, even state parks and some national parks closed. Not only are these the elements of a fun vacation for me, but why would I even want to risk either contracting or spreading the virus? Mark my words: this national shutdown of the travel industry will carry us well into the summer, if not beyond. The case numbers continue to double about every five days, meaning we're not even close to getting this thing under control or "flattening the curve". Any serious discussion of travel over the next 60 days (beyond traveling in one's car to see a loved one for some emergency purpose) is nothing less than irresponsible.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I have a conference in Las Vegas the end of June. I am hoping things settle down by then.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have a conference in Las Vegas the end of June. I am hoping things settle down by then.
Dd's conference at UCLA in August was just cancelled.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Delta's refusal to waive change/cancel fees for my trips in May & June.
Rather than suffer those fees, I'd find a reason to use my tickets.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Delta's refusal to waive change/cancel fees for my trips in May & June.
Rather than suffer those fees, I'd find a reason to use my tickets.
Stay well.

I still have my reservations for flights to Seattle at the end of May. Alaska Airlines is waiving change and cancellation fees and I would get credits for future flights. However we don't fly Alaska much anymore and I would rather have a refund. So I'm waiting to cancel the flights (I did cancel the hotel) in hopes my flights will be cancelled or changed. If not I will take the credit and use it within the next year.....but not in May or June of this year.

Last edited: