• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The problem is not whether someone is liable but having the resources to take them to court to prove they are liable.

In this case, the problem will be collecting any judgment from Redweek.

The number of lawsuits that will inevitably be filed (even if small claims lawsuits), the resulting legal fees, the loss of customers (who will ever list a rental using Redweek's "full service" option ever again?), and the reputational loss will push this company to the financial brink. I don't think it will survive.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

The number of lawsuits that will inevitably be filed (even if small claims lawsuits), the resulting legal fees, the loss of customers (who will ever list a rental using Redweek's "full service" option ever again?), and the reputational loss will push this company to the financial brink. I don't think it will survive.
I disagree. I think it will do just fine. We are all a bit miffed but I think in the end they will be fine.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

I am not so sure. If that was the case their lawyers will tell them to side with owners since it seems that the contract is clearly on the side of the owner (non refundable unless fire, flood or storm make the place non-habitable). I don't see any way renters have recourse if RedWeek sided with owners, as they should based on how the contract reads.

They are counting on most Owners sucking it up and not suing, especially if you have to do it on your own in WA and you have travel costs involved with an uncertain outcome. I suppose some lawyer could try to make up a class action lawsuit but we all know that lawyers are the only ones who make money on those.

But I do hope it kills their "verified and protected" business. Tried it last year and will never do it again...

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
How did you set your cancellation policy? To protect the renter it defaults to extremely flexible (cancel up to 24 hours before). They are sneaky and untrustworthy and only care about the renter. I fear they will take their side anyway.
My agreement had the Cancellation-Policy as "Moderate". Which is interpreted as "Under 60-Days 100% Non-Refundable".
However, since I used RedWeek's Verified-And-Protected Service to process the payment, they hold 100% of the funds until after the renter checks-out [due to the current situation].
Thus, if the renter cancels late or leaves early I could be out 100% if they arbitrate without my involvement.

On creating a new listing it defaults to "Moderate" which is adequate in my opinion. On creating I can change it to "Strict" or "Flexible".
Moderate = Renter forfeits 50% if they cancel 60+ days and lose 100% if they cancel less than 60-Days prior to check-in.
At any time after listing I can always "Edit" and choose either of the 3 options.

Last edited:

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
Has anyone had any response from RW? As I’ve note I have tried numerous channels including PM on this forum and have had zero response

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Has anyone had any response from RW? As I’ve note I have tried numerous channels including PM on this forum and have had zero response

Zero. They did reached out to ask if I was buying a a unit

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not so sure. If that was the case their lawyers will tell them to side with owners since it seems that the contract is clearly on the side of the owner (non refundable unless fire, flood or storm make the place non-habitable). I don't see any way renters have recourse if RedWeek sided with owners, as they should based on how the contract reads.

They are counting on most Owners sucking it up and not suing, especially if you have to do it on your own in WA and you have travel costs involved with an uncertain outcome. I suppose some lawyer could try to make up a class action lawsuit but we all know that lawyers are the only ones who make money on those.

But I do hope it kills their "verified and protected" business. Tried it last year and will never do it again...
How are things @DanCali ? Long time no see around here. I think that is the case. Redweek is counting on owners not bothering. In many cases, it would be more costly to go after them than what you would get in return. Even with a contract a judge is going to look are more than just what is written. What other circumstances are present. What are other companies doing. It doesn't always come down to the contract in situations like these.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I actually may cancel the rental on my unit and allow him a refund even though I’ve moved it out to August. I may try and rent it next year and do it on my own. I don’t know if I want to play this game with redweek.
Since you have unrestricted StarOptions, this may be your best option. Who knows what the situation will be like in August. The renter could be coming back again looking for a refund. YOu have unrestricted options, then I would cancel, give the renter the refund (it is in RW's escrow, so not really lost money) and be done with it. This all sounds like too much of a headache to deal with.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
How are things @DanCali ? Long time no see around here.

Yeah I haven't been on much, but will drop by once in a while to get up to speed on things before going on a vacation. Debating if to keep oy Harborside trip in about 2 months or cancel before my StarOptions become restricted. The biggest issue there is the flights though. I bought the tickets way in advance and AA will not modify dates past 1 year from purchase.

Actually ended up adding a Marriott week to our portfolio this past year - fixed week 26 at NCV. It wasn't cheap so I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it before the market crashed! I should have done that in 2010 (missed out on an eBay auction then) and it could have been enrolled in points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Since you have unrestricted StarOptions, this may be your best option. Who knows what the situation will be like in August. The renter could be coming back again looking for a refund. YOu have unrestricted options, then I would cancel, give the renter the refund (it is in RW's escrow, so not really lost money) and be done with it. This all sounds like too much of a headache to deal with.
I agree. I may email him separately and see if he wants to pay directly non refundable and I’ll take money off since August was 81K instead of 148K SO. If he agrees I’ll let redweek refund. If he decides to back out then oh well, I carry options over. I actually think travel by August will be fine. I think July will be fine as well. Of course I pray that’s the case. I have been dealing with this for a month and I’m having difficulty breathing now so who really knows anymore.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
In communication with one of my renters looking to make a deal. Just told them to dispute the reservation with Redweek and they will get a full refund. Have to just accept, get the Marriott points back in the account with a 120 limitation, accept any losses that may come in the future and move on. Not worth the effort to complain at this point. We all lose with COVID 19, some (life) more than others!

Best of luck to all and stay safe.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting paid the 50% I was due (because I was nice and refunded the renter 50% even though they canceled the night before check-in). I was also released full payment on another rental where I never received a cancellation request and didn't understand why they delayed payment. I am pretty sure that renter showed up and stayed the week.

It appears Redweek is largely manual, especially with all the cancellation requests. The only way to get through them all is to delay all payments and work through the renter requests and owner responses. At the end of the day it seems RW will honor the contract terms. It just irks me a little when Redweek really pushes the owners hard to cancel the reservations. High demand reservations like during March in South Florida cannot simply be replaced with a restricted deposit in II. If the resort closed it would be a different story but in one of my cases even the beach was still open the week the renter just decided the night before that it was probably best not to travel. I feel for all parties but one of the things about not going through marriott.com is you get a much cheaper price but you prepay and have restrictions. You get a cheaper price but as a renter you assume some risk.

MLP

TUG Member
Reaction score
My payment just cleared for a Marriott Canyon Villas rental (3/14 - 3/21). Payment had been on hold, Redweek never returned any messages I sent to them.

I did advise Redweek that I filed a complaint with the Washington State attorney generals office.
Maybe that helped, who knows.

I realize we are in a crisis but disappointed with the lack of communication from Redweek.

May not use them In the future.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
In communication with one of my renters looking to make a deal. Just told them to dispute the reservation with Redweek and they will get a full refund. Have to just accept, get the Marriott points back in the account with a 120 limitation, accept any losses that may come in the future and move on. Not worth the effort to complain at this point. We all lose with COVID 19, some (life) more than others!

Best of luck to all and stay safe.
Was it a RW full service listing or were you always in communication with them?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Was it a RW full service listing or were you always in communication with them?
It was a Redweek full service listing. If anyone disputes a rental cancellation within the next month or so (don't have specifics on timing) the renter gets a full refund. I have had 4 Redweek full service rentals cancelled where the renter filed a dispute. Redweek sided with the renter in all 4 cases. I have 12 more rentals for April & May spread across Aruba, Hawaii and Palm Desert. If a renter contacts me now for options I just tell them to dispute with Redweek and they will receive a full refund. That way I can cancel the reservation and deposit the points back into my account. What I don't want is a late dispute where I lose the points with no compensation.

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
RW paid three of the five disputed rentals (two are still pending). I believe since all of my rentals are set to "Strict" (No refund for cancellation) they did not have much of a choice. I was able to negotiate with the fourth renter (scheduled for 4/4) since MVC will be giving me an II exchange certificate (valid until Dec 2021) due to late cancellation. I will make a reservation for the renter for later in the year (He already informed me of the dates he is interested in). If I am unable to get the dates requested the renter still has until Dec 2021 to find dates that work for him. The fifth renter cannot travel due to the fact that they are from Canada. I offered to be flexible with this renter but since I was not notified until after the check-in date of 3/21 I would not receive a certificate and would just loose the week entirely. Therefore I cannot afford to give them a full refund.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It was a Redweek full service listing. If anyone disputes a rental cancellation within the next month or so (don't have specifics on timing) the renter gets a full refund. I have had 4 Redweek full service rentals cancelled where the renter filed a dispute. Redweek sided with the renter in all 4 cases. I have 12 more rentals for April & May spread across Aruba, Hawaii and Palm Desert. If a renter contacts me now for options I just tell them to dispute with Redweek and they will receive a full refund. That way I can cancel the reservation and deposit the points back into my account. What I don't want is a late dispute where I lose the points with no compensation.
I have the full service and in the beginning of the month they asked if I would be flexible since i had it set to strict. I said no, but then I backtracked and said I would move it to August since there is availability if they would take that week. They renter agreed. Now I feel like setting up a new contract on the side with the renter, I’ll offer to him for less money since it was less points and save him the 145 renter fee they pay redweek (NO WONDER WHY they favor the renter).

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I have the full service and in the beginning of the month they asked if I would be flexible since i had it set to strict. I said no, but then I backtracked and said I would move it to August since there is availability if they would take that week. They renter agreed. Now I feel like setting up a new contract on the side with the renter, I’ll offer to him for less money since it was less points and save him the 145 renter fee they pay redweek (NO WONDER WHY they favor the renter).

You don’t have an opt out option as an owner. Once you agreed to new rental you’re locked for that agreement
Now your renter probably could get out of it but since it’s August not sure RedWeek will let them out yet until closer assuming this is all still going on

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You don’t have an opt out option as an owner. Once you agreed to new rental you’re locked for that agreement
Now your renter probably could get out of it but since it’s August not sure RedWeek will let them out yet until closer assuming this is all still going on

I can get out of it. I’ll respond to the agent and say due to covid if the renter wants to cancel they can cancel. If they decline then I will ensure there is no cancellation in the future. Of course I would contact the renter and work a side deal with him getting me paid now and I’ll save him 600 bucks.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ll respond to the agent.

They don’t reply to anyone as far as I can tell. Well at least to owners as they don’t answer their phone, or return calls, or or return emails.
I’m thinking the only way for them to respond to me is if I inquire about a full service rental. Might go trolling for the highest rental listing and tell them to call me so I can book it

Oh yeah I’ll book this but while I have you on the phone what’s up with my listing? Click

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the mentioning of RW “full service” I am curious why would anyone choose this and what additional you get. The verified and payments option which lately has been free already generates a contract and handles the payment. There is zero direct communication with the renter. And messaging to RW goes to the “full service” team. I don’t see what else they could possibly do. Is there something I am missing that is added with the full service option?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With the mentioning of RW “full service” I am curious why would anyone choose this and what additional you get. The verified and payments option which lately has been free already generates a contract and handles the payment. There is zero direct communication with the renter. And messaging to RW goes to the “full service” team. I don’t see what else they could possibly do. Is there something I am missing that is added with the full service option?
I use it because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with any details. Contract signing, payment receipt, etc. Paying $59.99 for their services works for me. I also feel RW Full service listings are usually the 1st to be booked as I believe renters feel more secure with the backing of RW handling the transaction.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Idk I forgot why I chose it. I think I didn’t want to have to deal with contracts or something. Either way it will be the last thing I ever do again.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well in case anyone thinks they are getting any payment from Redweek anytime soon I think this letter from the CEO of RW sums it up. It's not going to happen regardless of the contract.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well in case anyone thinks they are getting any payment from Redweek anytime soon I think this letter from the CEO of RW sums it up. It's not going to happen regardless of the contract.

long way of saying they’re gonna screw over both owners and renters.