• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Maintenance fees should they be paid if you're not able to book reservations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Several posts directed at other posters and responses to these posts have been deleted. Discuss the issues, not each other.

I plead guilty but I meant every word! OP's initial post and 90% of his subsequent posts were intended to stir up trouble. You should read them. His actions were exactly as I described.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I plead guilty but I meant every word! OP's initial post and 90% of his subsequent posts were intended to stir up trouble. You should read them. His actions were exactly as I described.
What part of "Discuss the issues, not each other" did you not understand?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
What part of "Discuss the issues, not each other" did you not understand?

So, someone with no equity, no personal interest in the topic, can come on the board and purposefully stir up trouble but no one can call him out?

Okay, gottit.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
So, someone with no equity, no personal interest in the topic, can come on the board and purposefully stir up trouble but no one can call him out?

Okay, gottit.
The ignore button works quite well.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Taking off my moderator hat for a moment I will just add this:

People who buy into timeshares need to understand that they are assuming an ownership position and are taking on a responsibility for their share of the operating expenses as spelled out in their contracts, just as they would if they were to buy a unit in an apartment building that has gone co-op. These expenses go on even when the timeshare cannot be used. In fact, in some cases, some net expenses may even be higher because any offsetting revenue-producing activities or amenities offered would not be used.

This is all between the owner and the timeshare management. I don't see why it would be any business of an outside third party.

Moderator hat back on:

The OP's original question has been asked and resoundingly answered. To continue dragging it out is becoming extremely tiresome, repetitious, obviously jangling to the nerves, and a constant battle to get in the last word. Unless somebody has something actually NEW to contribute, I think it's time to give this a rest.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Wyndham will extend the window for non-VIP members to move their points forward, as some VIP owners already have done.

Of course that ushers in its own difficulties as more points chase the limited inventory.

How’s that for a new thought?

By the way, a reality based perspective can help us all to realize that jangled nerves due to posting battles seems trivial compared to the health and economic impact of the underlying cause of this whole discussion. Perhaps a diversion like this thread isn’t that great of a harm.

Just one man’s thoughts. Maybe I’m wrong.

Wes.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
!
Perhaps Wyndham will extend the window for non-VIP members to move their points forward, as some VIP owners already have done.

Of course that ushers in its own difficulties as more points chase the limited inventory.

By the way, a reality based perspective can help us all to realize that jangled nerves due to posting battles seems trivial compared to the health and economic impact of the underlying cause of this whole discussion. Perhaps a diversion like this thread isn’t that great of a harm.

Wes.
Yes Wes 100% correct. Unfortunately many will be forced to make tough finacial decisions over the next several months. Ohio just locked down today and many more states will follow. Shelter at home and stay healthy everthing else is not really that important.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wes.
You are also correct on the issue of many points being pushed into next year. Depending on how long this shut down lasts it will affect ARP availability. The VIP 60 day booking discount will also be much harder to book.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMHO...the timeshare systems will need to extend the points expiration or they will be deluged with people who default.

And so it begins...

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all between the owner and the timeshare management. I don't see why it would be any business of an outside third party.
You are also correct on the issue of many points being pushed into next year. Depending on how long this shut down lasts it will affect ARP availability. The VIP 60 day booking discount will also be much harder to book.
Please take the moderators advice
In case you don’t understand, you are an outside third party

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham shuts resorts and and stops taking reservations will they also give owners a rebate on maintenance fees? What is the fair thing to do? I have my opinion they should but I am interested in what others have to say. Also will they extend current use year points if they extend not taking reservations past 4/18?

IMHO...the timeshare systems will need to extend the points expiration or they will be deluged with people who default.

And so it begins...

Exactly my thoughts. Without Wyndham offering some assistance or rebate on paying maintenance fees many will default on their ownership instead of paying maintenance fees. This will cost those who have the most invested compared to those that can just walk away. For those who have to choose between paying the rent or groceries travel and vacations become nonessential. Many board posters thought this was outrageous 2 days ago but it is a reality many owners will face in the next several months

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
MOD NOTE: If thread keeps up the vitorol, I will have to implement "poster distancing".

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
How to know when to shut a thread down: When a poster quotes themselves and comments that they 'agree with what that person said'

And so it begins...
LOL.The post was in response to the post by CalGalTraveler.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

And so it begins...
When people default who ultimately pays the cost?

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When people default who ultimately pays the cost?

We went through that during the Recession of 2007-2013. The resorts are hit with lower revenue and greater costs of bill collecting. They pass that along to the owners in higher MF costs.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went through that during the Recession of 2007-2013. The resorts are hit with lower revenue and greater costs of bill collecting. They pass that along to the owners in higher MF costs.
Wyndham will also stop taking back inventory with Ovations. If they have no buyers or a need for inventory why would they take on the added expense of paying maintenance fees?

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW my comment was not an endorsement of people defaulting who simply don't feel like paying anymore. However, management companies need to provide flexibility and future credits to ALL owners to mitigate defaults.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW my comment was not an endorsement of people defaulting who simply don't feel like paying anymore. However, management companies need to provide flexibility and future credits to ALL owners to mitigate defaults.
Defaulting is not in many peoples plans. Many people will lose their jobs and will be forced to choose between buying groceries or paying their utilities. Maintenance fees on nonessential travel will be defaulted on not by choice but by necessity.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm taking his advice. My second Ignore in the ten+ years I've been a member of TUG.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Wow, what an active thread! :)

IMHO it's actually in Wyndham's best interest to extend points into future use years - in hopes that once we get past this crisis - people will use those points to either book more vacations for themselves, friends & family, or for rentals - all of which pushes up occupancy rates and is a huge win for Wyndham. If they let the points expire or force transfers into RCI - then those points are lost and pretty much go to waste - at least within the CWP system itself.

With regard to paying MFs - this issue is really a moot point to even discuss - as Wyndham has Force Majeure clauses that cover events like this embedded in the legal contracts that everyone has signed - at least in recent history (not sure when Force Majeure clauses came into effect for Wyndham to be clear). Wyndham even has verbiage specific to Plagues and Epidemics, screenshot below for reference. So regardless of how anyone may feel about it, or has opinions on it, really doesn't matter in the least - since the legal contract reigns supreme. That said, Wyndham could certainly choose to do something financially - but given they are already facing a huge revenue crisis since occupancy rates will drop precipitously for the next several months, I wouldn't hold my breath. Just one person's opinion of course. :)

1584977511665.png

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, what an active thread! :)

IMHO it's actually in Wyndham's best interest to extend points into future use years - in hopes that once we get past this crisis - people will use those points to either book more vacations for themselves, friends & family, or for rentals - all of which pushes up occupancy rates and is a huge win for Wyndham. If they let the points expire or force transfers into RCI - then those points are lost and pretty much go to waste - at least within the CWP system itself.

With regard to paying MFs - this issue is really a moot point to even discuss - as Wyndham has Force Majeure clauses that cover events like this embedded in the legal contracts that everyone has signed - at least in recent history (not sure when Force Majeure clauses came into effect for Wyndham to be clear). Wyndham even has verbiage specific to Plagues and Epidemics, screenshot below for reference. So regardless of how anyone may feel about it, or has opinions on it, really doesn't matter in the least - since the legal contract reigns supreme. That said, Wyndham could certainly choose to do something financially - but given they are already facing a huge revenue crisis since occupancy rates will drop precipitously for the next several months, I wouldn't hold my breath. Just one person's opinion of course. :)

View attachment 18188
Great perspective. @HitchHiker71 you are spot on with this opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.