• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have a rental via Redweek Payments at Westin St.John for April 12. It used to say "Payment Scheduled for April 14", now its says "On hold, pending review". No correspondence from Redweek. Cancellation policy is strict. Resort is open. I need that rent payment to pay bills. I don't know what happens now.
@tink10 any thoughts? Why is redweek keeping owners money? You have a large group of owners here ready to flip the switch on that website.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I wonder if a cancellation request has occurred. I know the resort is still open.
I don’t want to lose the week as well as refund.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Disputes are coming in from travelers faster than we can keep up with them and as much as we'd like things to be cut & dry, it's not that simple. *Each dispute has to be handled separately, based on its merit and we want to be fair to both the owner and the renter.* We're absolutely encouraging owners to be as flexible with their guests as humanely possible, but we're just asking for patience and empathy.

Hi tink10. Thank you for posting. I'm sure Redweek is swamped with lots of emails, calls, and cancelation requests during this crazy global event, as are many companies in the travel and service industry.

If I may provide some customer feedback, please be aware many timeshare companies (including Marriott, one of the largest) do not allow any kind of cancellation (including reservation date changes to the future) less than 60 days out for a weeks owner, such as me. A legally binding contract that says no refunds is just that--a legally binding contract that is indeed cut and dry (no matter what the reason for the request to cancel). If a renter signed a contract that clearly says no refunds, why is Redweek even putting the idea in the heads of renters that they might be able to get out of it? I respectfully suggest your response should be something along the lines of: as difficult as this unique situation is for everyone, the terms of the contract you voluntarily signed are clearly non-refundable."

Personally, I recently chose to refund 50% of my rental contract for a Hawaii week (which I successfully advertised on Redweek last July) that starts next month, when my renter contacted me earlier this week asking to change the reservation date to something later in the year. Granted, it was not a full-service listing. The perception is that Redweek is favoring renters, over the owner (who paid you a listing and/or additional full service fee by the way--the renter did not). You are not "just asking for patience and empathy". Your actions clearly show you are asking owners to 1) cancel their legally binding contracts, 2) refund 100% to the renter, and 3) assume all losses (although Redweek's recent offer to pay any cancelation fees, and give a future posting credit is a gracious gesture, thank you). In my case, canceling my reservation with the resort less than 60 days out would mean total loss of the week. Does that mean you'd pay me my $2,300 maintenance fee for a cancelation, had I done a full-service listing? For those owners who entered a full-service listing, if you do not pay the owner the funds you have already collected "within a few days" of the rental start date, Redweek is in breach of contract.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
In case this helps to understand the terms on both sides, this is the relevant part of the contract that I once signed as a renter (full listing):

2. Renter may use the Unit during the term without interference subject to the terms of this
Agreement. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the term starts, Renter shall notify
RedWeek immediately using the method indicated below. Any dispute regarding the unit will
delay payment to the Owner, pending resolution of the dispute by RedWeek, the sole arbiter
12. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood,
fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded
to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the
Renter will receive a pro-rated refund for the portion of the Term that was unavailable. In such
events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their
travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness,
airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is nonrefundable.
Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for
such matters.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
My take on this - I understand Redweek is between a rock and a hard place on this one. I think the contract is fairly clear on what sort of conditions permit refund of any part or all of the rental payment. On a very strict reading, refund is only due if the unit is not habitable solely due to flood, fire, or storm OR if the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term (regardless of reason given the contract is silent in this clause on cause for evacuation).

That said, Redweek has to balance the strict wording in the contract with a) the threat of charge-backs from credit card companies that will likely shift the burden to Redweek to prove that what they "sold" can actually be delivered; and b) ensuring they are able to maintain some sort of customer base if they are to continue to exist.

@tink10 - I would encourage you and your management team to consider that we owners are just as much (if not more) customers to Redweek and we are in the same difficult position as renters. Any solution you and your team propose/try to enforce should appropriately balance the losses associated with this unusual circumstance among all parties (and that means all of the Renter, Redweek as the Agent and the Owner). There is a limit to the flexibility Developers/Management are offering us and we cannot always offer alternative accommodation/timing (and in fact, every day that goes by, this becomes near impossible as remaining inventory for the year is quickly booked). Do not make a mistake and choose to lay the losses for this incident solely at the feet of Owners. It's totally unreasonable and will sow enormous bad will throughout the timeshare community that will not be forgotten.

MLP

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Redweek is withholding payment for completed rentals, I would suggest filing a complaint with the attorney general office in Washington State (Redweek HQ) and your home state.

Regardless of the pandemic, with completed rentals, this appears to be a case of wire fraud on Redweeks part.

Good Luck!

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Redweek is withholding payment for completed rentals, I would suggest filing a complaint with the attorney general office in Washington State (Redweek HQ) and your home state.

Regardless of the pandemic, with completed rentals, this appears to be a case of wire fraud on Redweeks part.

Good Luck!

Agreed. they need to suck it up and take responsibility and liability. This clause in the contract does not hold water if the Resort is open and accepting guests to check-in:
"
2. Renter may use the Unit during the term without interference subject to the terms of this
Agreement. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the term starts, Renter shall notify
RedWeek immediately using the method indicated below. Any dispute regarding the unit will
delay payment to the Owner, pending resolution of the dispute by RedWeek, the sole arbiter "

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
And here we go. Have asked RedWeek the criteria they used to deem the unit “not habitable”. This is at Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas.

A dispute was opened concerning this booking, as permitted by section 2 of the Rental Agreement.
The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoing global Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable.
Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter, and will be issuing them a refund.
We are sorry this booking did not work out as planned. These are unprecented times and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,
RedWeek.com Customer Service

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Unbelievable, Redweek! DSV is open:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
And here we go. Have asked RedWeek the criteria they used to deem the unit “not habitable”. This is at Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas.

A dispute was opened concerning this booking, as permitted by section 2 of the Rental Agreement.
The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoing global Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable.
Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter, and will be issuing them a refund.
We are sorry this booking did not work out as planned. These are unprecented times and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

“the Panel” is probably the Redweek owner trying to cover his ass and liability by screwing over timeshare owners and not abiding by his own terms. I got screwed by them too. Filing complaints with all avenues and gonna see if my lawyer buddy wants to make a few bucks to teach them a lesson.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Sincerely,
@tink10 if Marriott desert springs is open then it is habitable. I have a feeling redweek will not come out on top with this one. I see you take around 145 dollar fee from renter and 100 fee from owner for a full service listing. This isn’t going to end well for redweek when owners start spreading the word.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Unbelievable, Redweek! DSV is open:

@tink10 since you are here representing redweek please respond. The resort is open and you are siding with renters. This is shameful. If I don’t get paid in the summer for a rental I decided to move from this week to September, there will be lawsuits. Stop protecting the renter at the expense of the owner. WITHOUT OWNERS YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS..... you only have renters because owners direct people to your site and encourage them to pay membership so they can access listings. Personally, I have referred countless people there. After my rental payment is finally received, I will no longer do that.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I have a Redweek Payments booking "On Hold" for April 12 check in at WSJ. This is a very expensive week and if I don't get that rent I will be unable to pay my bills. The week will be lost since it's voluntary Bay Vista, at the end of the season. If Redweek tries the same "not habitable" argument with me when the resort is open, then there is a legal action coming their way. Needless to say they will not get any listings from me again.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
@Seagila

At least they replied to you. In my case section 2 is moot as both of my renters checked in last Saturday, 3/14
The one at SDO left on her own two days later and the one at Kierland stayed the entire week leaving today

I’ve asked for full payment on both listings and no Redweek response
I did receive a response on this Forum with a PM asking for my contract numbers since I’ve replied to that PM total Radio Silence
I’m sure the Arbitrator(s) are looking for some other way to not pay me before responding

So frustrating Redweek refuses to respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
@tink10 if Marriott desert springs is open then it is habitable. I have a feeling redweek will not come out on top with this one. I see you take around 145 dollar fee from renter and 100 fee from owner for a full service listing. This isn’t going to end well for redweek when owners start spreading the word.

Redweek is probably already finished they won’t be around after this is all said and done
It’s going to take class action to recover any money with little to no return as they’ll have already refunded the money to Renters

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek is probably already finished they won’t be around after this is all said and done

It’s going to take class action to recover any money with little to no return as they’ll have already refunded the money to Renters

Well I am confident that many on TUG will no longer use Redweek after reading this thread or experiencing this situation, but I think we are just a small percentage of users out there.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I am confident that many on TUG will no longer use Redweek after reading this thread or experiencing this situation, but I think we are just a small percentage of users out there.

Well they either screwing the renter or owner or both in any resolution so that’s both sides of a transaction
We want full payment and the renters want full refunds and nobody is truly happy with 50/50

For sure the only people getting blamed by everyone is Redweek no matter if they Use TUG or not

Last edited:

teamkm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pueblo bonito sunset
As per this link, they will pay for change fee:

REDWEEK TRAVELERS AND COVID-19
This is a difficult time. We love to travel, and know if you're reading this, you do too. We understand that some of you are grappling with the difficult decision of whether to travel right now – we are doing the same. Even if you are not formally restricted from doing so, this is an important decision where benefits and risks need to be carefully weighed.

See current recommendations from the CDC: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html

We are doing everything we can to assist during these uncertain times. RedWeek is a travel community that serves both timeshare owners and travelers. We are sympathetic to our members being impacted by the pandemic on both sides of this equation. It's important to understand that vacation rentals on RedWeek are quite different than booking directly with a resort or hotel. The individual owner of the timeshare books the unit being advertised. In most cases, the owner is not able to simply cancel the booking or change the dates. If a week goes unused, the owner loses both the use of the week for that year and whatever maintenance fees they paid as part of their ownership.

In online bookings, where we are intermediary between the owner and renter, we're obligated to follow the terms of the rental agreement that both parties signed. For every cancellation request, we are reaching out to the owner and asking them to please be as flexible as possible, given this unprecedented situation. Some owners may choose to waive or reduce the cancellation fee and some owners may be able to re-book a reservation for a later date. We greatly appreciate any flexibility our owners are able to extend.

Please know that we are actively monitoring the situation and working with all parties involved to reach a fair compromise. We ask that all owners and renters be as patient and as flexible as possible during this difficult time.

For owners using RedWeek’s online booking system:

• If you are asked to cancel or change your reservation dates for a renter, RedWeek will gladly pay any change fees to accommodate this request.
  • If you need to cancel entirely, we will also give you an account credit for a new posting and verification.
  • If you are currently advertising a rental with March or April check-ins, we advise you to call your resort and attempt to reschedule your week. We will give you a free verification for the new dates.
Sounds reasonable on the surface. As an apparent representative of Redweek, maybe you can answer this then....we are notified that our timeshare week sold to a renter through Redweek is being refunded to renter due to COVID 19. That is fine, I get it given what is going on, I would be OK with taking back the week, we advertised it well before COVID was a thing, if I knew that I could have contacted resort and move the date to November or something and then used it or rented it again when COVID was gone. However, to transfer the booking to the renter, we had to contact resort and transfer booking to the renters name on the fixed date we advertised, then transaction was complete through our Redweek Verified option. Subsequent to this, when COVID became a problem, we were requested to provide refund and cancellation of the transaction at request of renter prior to any dispute of fees, and of course we can't because we call the resort and they tell us we don't own that week anymore. We can't change the date to a date that works for us, we don't own that week according to the resort. So they are asking us to not only cancel our transaction, but to lose the week entirely with no compensation and no chance of using it ourselves, when we originally had the option to push it to later this year. We relay this information to Redweek, they say fine and that contract will go forward. Then a week later (today) they say that the renter disputed contract due to unit being un-inhabitable, and that their "panel" reviewed the case and they are refunding them. Wait I say, shouldn't they first consult us, and require renter to contact resort and let us confirm transfer of booking back to our name? Of course, I can't talk to anyone because they have no phone numbers at all to contact, and maybe the refund isn't final yet. But I explained all this ahead of time to Redweek, and they didn't comment at all on any impediment to renter getting back his funds that Redweek holds till check in time.

SOOOOO, the way I see it, their "panel" thinks it is not right for them to pay for a week they cannot use due to pandemic. I get that. But their panel thinks it is also OK for us to lose our week totally, even though we could have rescheduled it if they required renter to relenquish ownership of the week to get refund. In fact, they think it is OK to refund renter fees, and let them keep the week too, since I can't transfer it back myself? So, for all I know they can now call resort, switch the week for themselves, and vacation for free in the fall? I am surprised the "panel" isn't also requiring that I pay for their all inclusive option, or perhaps fund their plane tickets as well. This is ridiculous, borderline criminal. Do you have any answers for that? I have heard the owner of Redweek cruises this site, does he have any answers for that? I feel extremely wronged. I have sent all this to Redweek, and all I get is crickets.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

File complaints with AG, BBB, google reviews etc to get the word out there that they screwed over owners. For all we know they might be double dipping and not even refunding renters pointing them to the same clause in the agreement stating that the resorts were open and habitable

teamkm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pueblo bonito sunset
Valerie from Redweek,

Perhaps you are the only way to get through to them, so replying to your post. I get the disputes, but how is it right to complete a transaction where I have to transfer ownership of a week to a renter, and then refund them without requiring them to transfer ownership of that week back to me? When I had the week in my name and listed for rent, I could also have contacted resort and moved the week to much later in the year..........if it hadn't been chosen for rent off the posting I would have done that. But, it is rented, put in renters name, Redweek holds the funds, deal is done. Then, their "panel" decides a dispute submitted by renter due to COVID warrants refund to renter, and they don't understand I don't own that week anymore? If they made them transfer it back and document that, then I am fine with refund, I just swap it for another date with the resort in November or whatever. But as it stands, I have no week and no money, they have a week for free they can potentially now change a date on and move it to the fall and vacation for free? I would have been better off handling the transaction myself rather than running it through Redweek, I would have the $ myself and could negotiate directly with the renter if a problem occurred. I can't believe Redweek has such a poor understanding of these transactions, I really hope you have some pull for me to get my week back.
Hi Tug!

Valerie from RedWeek.com here. So sorry that I haven't been able to visit before today.

We absolutely understand everyone's frustration. Believe me, we do. This is not an excuse, but we're a pretty small company and we're getting hundreds upon hundreds of emails every day. Hundreds of calls each day and we have our entire team working on this. Right up to our most upper management. We're in such a time of uncertainty, but we're getting through everything as best as we can.

We don't really think that think anyone could have ever predicted this emergency, so owners, renters and all of the travel companies were completely caught off guard. It's pretty tough because we're seeing border closures, lockdowns and resort closures changing many many times throughout the day.

Disputes are coming in from travelers faster than we can keep up with them and as much as we'd like things to be cut & dry, it's not that simple. *Each dispute has to be handled separately, based on its merit and we want to be fair to both the owner and the renter.* We're absolutely encouraging owners to be as flexible with their guests as humanely possible, but we're just asking for patience and empathy.

We're absolutely not ignoring anyone, we just simply have that much on our plate. If you've called or emailed, we definitely will get back to you.

Be Well. :)

Editing to say that the US State Department just issues a Global Level 4 advisory advising to not travel. Combined with the news, this really does panic people and any flexibility and patience you can offer in this difficult time is incredibly appreciated.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an apparent representative of Redweek, maybe you can answer this then.

I am not a representative of Redweek or have anything to do with them. Unlike some users that just registered to the BBS today, I have been here since 2005.

teamkm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pueblo bonito sunset
File complaints with AG, BBB, google reviews etc to get the word out there that they screwed over owners. For all we know they might be double dipping and not even refunding renters pointing them to the same clause in the agreement stating that the resorts were open and habitable
I agree, it has occurred to me that this could be a scam. A person "rents" a week, knowing they can get out of it later. Then, gets a refund, booking is in their name, they contact resort and move the week, they get to vacation for free. Probably this is just an unfortunate fallout of the pandemic disaster, but you could envision a situation where Redweek is either double dipping or being scammed. Either way, the owner is getting gyped if they are automatically refunding renters without making them verify they have transferred the booking week back to the owner first. In my case, I could just move the dates to later in the year and vacation myself, but I can't because thanks to Redweek verified the week isn't in my name and I have no leverage.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Redweek is actually encourages renters to file a dispute. When renters log in to their booking, they see this:

If you are not able to travel due to the Coronavirus, please file a dispute here.

Then there is a choice of dispute reasons:

RESERVATION PROBLEM
  • Can't travel due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • The resort doesn't have the reservation in my name
  • The unit they gave me is incorrect
  • Other
When the renter chooses "Can't travel due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)", booking goes on hold, and then evidence is Redweek is automatically refunding renters.

This is not right!

Booking is non-refundable. Resort is open. If the renter can't travel, they should claim under their insurance.

teamkm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pueblo bonito sunset
I am not a representative of Redweek or have anything to do with them. Unlike some users that just registered to the BBS today, I have been here since 2005.
Sorry, your post seemed well informed on Redweek, I assumed you were associated. In review, I see that perhaps that was a forwarded Redweek posting, not your own info. And yes, I did just log on today. Looking through the internet, seemed like it might be the only way to get through to someone on Redweek............they are unresponsive through traditional channels. Again, my apologies.

teamkm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pueblo bonito sunset
Redweek is actually encourages renters to file a dispute. When renters log in to their booking, they see this:

If you are not able to travel due to the Coronavirus, please file a dispute here.

Then there is a choice of dispute reasons:

RESERVATION PROBLEM
  • Can't travel due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • The resort doesn't have the reservation in my name
  • The unit they gave me is incorrect
  • Other
When the renter chooses "Can't travel due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)", booking goes on hold, and then evidence is Redweek is automatically refunding renters.

This is not right!

Booking is non-refundable. Resort is open. If the renter can't travel, they should claim under their insurance.
Thank you for the succinct point. I totally agree, wish i could have posted it so elegantly. Sorry for any previous rants, will try to learn how to behave in a forum in the future, was just looking for any outlet to get a message to them. In my case, I am even OK with refunding renter if adequate time is given. I just think Redweek should require the booking is back in my name first, so I have other options I can pursue.