• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Asking the Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some on this thread have mentioned elected officials. What was going through the mayor of NYC's head. Working out in a public GYM this morning. Setting a bad example.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Some on this thread have mentioned elected officials. What was going through the mayor of NYC's head. Working out in a public GYM this morning. Setting a bad example.
He was also going to keep the NYC schools open until the teachers said were going to all call in sick.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Maybe it's not busy when he goes? I still go to the gym early in the morning. It's my one activity out of the house. Our gym is relatively empty in the early morning. This morning I was two elipticals away from the nearest person so there is social distance. I wipe down the machine thoroughly, use sanitizer and wash my hands before and after. I am in my 50s so not quite in the worst age group.

May need to start running/walking outside if they close this down. I would have gone stir crazy on one of those quarantined cruise ships stuck to my room.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Like everything it is both, some are over reacting and some are under reacting.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Unfortunately, if we are NOT overreacting and the strict measures work and slow things way down - people will use that to prove we overreacted.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Unfortunately, if we are NOT overreacting and the strict measures work and slow things way down - people will use that to prove we overreacted.
That is the dual edged sword in play here, but with the plethora of statistics and projections that have been generated I would hope a case could be made where the reaction was 'just right'.....

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I was wondering why things were so much worse in Italy - one reason cited is that Italy has a considerable amount of older people in its population and especially in the hardest hit areas on Italy.
Today I read that the situation is so bad in Italy, as far as having room to treat everyone in the hospital, that if it gets much worse people over 80 will be turned away.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hubby and I were down in the basement this afternoon. I finally was getting around to exercising. Then I heard our son’s voice and I literally got scared. He stopped by on his lunch break and just let himself into the house.

I yelled up the stairs for him to stay at least 6 feet away from us. He came down and he stayed about 15 minutes. He said at work so far all is as normal. He also worked Sat and Sunday at the restaurant/ brewery. He said Sat was busy. He made decent tips both days.

Anyway, before he went back to work I told him to wash his hands and after he left, I wiped down the door handles with dish detergent.

So strange to not be able to kiss or hug him. Surreal.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not busy when he goes? I still go to the gym early in the morning. It's my one activity out of the house. Our gym is relatively empty in the early morning. This morning I was two elipticals away from the nearest person so there is social distance. I wipe down the machine thoroughly, use sanitizer and wash my hands before and after. I am in my 50s so not quite in the worst age group.

May need to start running/walking outside if they close this down. I would have gone stir crazy on one of those quarantined cruise ships stuck to my room.

I think it's great you are exercising(literally) your right to make your own decisions. I think it may change soon. But my point was the leader of arguably the largest City in the World is going to a public gym. He is not onlyexposing himself but his Security team to the virus. And again he is setting a poor example of self isolating.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think it's great you are exercising(literally) your right to make your own decisions. I think it may change soon. But my point was the leader of arguably the largest City in the World is going to a public gym. He is not onlyexposing himself but his Security team to the virus. And again he is setting a poor example of self isolating.
Agree, he was not setting the best example - well the Bay Area just went on shelter in place so I guess today was my last day at the gym for a while...this is getting real...

geekette

Reaction score
Our elected officials are never able to self-isolate in emergencies, they drive into them. If he has no symptoms and no known contact with a positive person, and is observing the 6 feet, I think the man should work off his stress and stay healthy because people are depending on him.

How is this worse than a crowded stage for press conferences?

geekette

Reaction score
we are under restrictions - can leave home for work, food or meds. Indiana has its first death, in the big city, and mayor declared level 1 emergency which carries travel advisory. also today is the end of our bars, restaurants and gyms. Museums, etc. closed last week.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Wall Street overreacting? Seems as always yes as eventually normal will happen again. But wall street make a lot of money when stocks go up and when they go down.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree Wall Street is over reacting to the Coronavirus. I feel Wall Street is causing people not to purchase homes, automobile, major appliances, clothes, eating out, etc.,

geekette

Reaction score
Wall Street reacts, it's what it does. The volatility is simply reflecting the uncertainty. Of everything. The market runs on speculation and it's not so easy to guess the future at this point.

Brett

Reaction score
Is Wall Street overreacting? Seems as always yes as eventually normal will happen again. But wall street make a lot of money when stocks go up and when they go down.

I agree Wall Street is over reacting to the Coronavirus. I feel Wall Street is causing people not to purchase homes, automobile, major appliances, clothes, eating out, etc.,

I agree with Geekette

Whether reacting or "over"reacting stock prices are a reflection of investors valuing the economy and the revenue of large companies. If it is indeed a bad case of investors overreacting then stock prices will go back up --- or react better -- when people buying and selling stocks think the economy will get better. ... :(

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not think Wall Street is over reacting. They are just reacting to what people are thinking and doing. If anyone is over reacting, it is the people and Wall Street is following suit. When and if there is light at the end of the tunnel and some positive news comes out, then the stock market will start improving. This is what happened in the past. For example, stock market started to recover in 2009, well before Main Street improved.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I do not think Wall Street is over reacting. They are just reacting to what people are thinking and doing. If anyone is over reacting, it is the people and Wall Street is following suit. When and if there is light at the end of the tunnel and some positive news comes out, then the stock market will start improving. This is what happened in the past. For example, stock market started to recover in 2009, well before Main Street improved.
Yes and those who had money to invest were better off but many others struggled unfortunately for years.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The business that will be most effective are small business, restaurants, the airlines & cruise lines, the entertainment and sporting industries IMHO.

Thus, Wall Street will be following the fears of the American Public.

Is this a National Pandemic? The Governor of New York State; stated Yes.

This Coronavirus is not under control anywhere on planet on Earth.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the agents involved in protecting the President, a virus is the least of their worries.

geekette

Reaction score
The business that will be most effective are small business, restaurants, the airlines & cruise lines, the entertainment and sporting industries IMHO.

Thus, Wall Street will be following the fears of the American Public.

Is this a National Pandemic? The Governor of New York State; stated Yes.

This Coronavirus is not under control anywhere on planet on Earth.
Did you mean Affected? I think you did, and I agree. Hammered. I am shocked to hear there are still people on cruise ships floating around without permission to dock.

I don't think that Wall Street follows the fears of the public, rather, public follows what Wall Street does. Talking heads proclaim Dow up, Dow down! people are happy or sad, depending on what that is.

The Stock Market is actually a market of stocks, each doing their individual thing, sometimes based on careful analysis of facts of the underlying business, sometimes based on sheer guesses, very often based on fear or greed. It is Not the economy. It's more like a herd of guessing gamblers reacting on some news or no news. Some investors have a really great analytical system, some bet based on talisman, some just follow the trend. The profitability of any individual company is not necessarily reflected by their stock movement, and right now, all companies have sinking stock prices that has nothing to do with whether or not they made money today.

I would urge all to think for themselves and not let market moves tell you what to think. but, you know, imo.