• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holding account

swainj

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to cancel my points reservation. What is a holding account?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It is just a restriction on those cancelled points. Usually, it means you can only make a reservation with them 60 days or closer to check in of a new ressie, but MVC has widened that to 120 days before check in due to Covid-19. They expire on the same day that they previously would have expired, and you cannot bank, borrow or transfer them. In addition to usual villa ressie usage, you can also use them for limited Explorer collection options.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can use them for resort credit, which is a lousy trade, but one that you can get value from instead of losing them. I'm getting ready to dump a bunch into a holding account so I feel your pain.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
One recommendation is to use up your current year's Destination Points when things get back to close to normal and then select points from the next year in the future. Then if you have Holding Points, you have the current year that future year to use the time restricted points. For us, it completely takes and sting out of having points in Holding. Particularly when we have a location in the system we like, that is driving distance away. We only book the Pulse in NYC in under 60 days to get our points discount anyway.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a *lot* of places you can reserve within 60 days most years. We always reserve within 60 days, we've gone in high season as well at some resorts under 60 days. The mountains in summer usually are available, Hawaii sometimes, Branson, Florida, etc. Holding points are no big deal unless you require more than 60 days (temporarily 120 days) notice.

Generally, as the year progresses, we borrow points (even if we have current year points) to make reservations instead of using current year. Then, if it's cancelled within 60 days, the points go back to their original year, meaning, next year. Gives you a lot more time to use the holding points. Any remaining points from the current year can just be banked.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to cancel my points reservation. What is a holding account?

I find a good use for the points in a holding account is to buy Marriott Insurance for next year's reservations. If you need to use this insurance then your maintenance fees will be paid for the 2021 canceled reservation.

Just a suggestion to help you use your "Holding Account" as an alternative method.

EBBESEN

Reaction score
It is just a restriction on those cancelled points. Usually, it means you can only make a reservation with them 60 days or closer to check in of a new ressie, but MVC has widened that to 120 days before check in due to Covid-19. They expire on the same day that they previously would have expired, and you cannot bank, borrow or transfer them. In addition to usual villa ressie usage, you can also use them for limited Explorer collection bookings.

Can you explain this a little if you don't mind, I would really. appreciate it as there lack of correspondence is quite frankly shocking.
I have sent numerous email and attempted to. contact them with no response. I have points that need to be used by April 30 6000+.
I was never informed that they were expiring so we booked numerous vacation. to try and use the points.
Will Marriott be ginghams us a 120 days extension on. using the points?

Grateful for your feedback

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your points for cancels expire when they always did, no change at all. If you used points that had expired end of 2020, they still do. The holding account is not a new thing, it has always been there, previously, it was 60 days. What this means if, whatever date (before your points expire say end of 2020) you try and make a booking, it has to be wiithin 60 days (now 120) of that date. So, assuming your points expired end of 2020, if you try and book on Aug 1 2010, you can look 120 days from there for a stay, not from today. So, that would be around Dec 1. If you try and book on Aug 2, it would be Dec 2, and so on. Holding account doc is in your points contract and terms.

None of this changed, except, holding account bookings had to be within 60 days of the date you looked, and, now it's 120, so they doubled it. Nothing was lost, something was gained.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you explain this a little if you don't mind, I would really. appreciate it as there lack of correspondence is quite frankly shocking.
I have sent numerous email and attempted to. contact them with no response. I have points that need to be used by April 30 6000+.
I was never informed that they were expiring so we booked numerous vacation. to try and use the points.
Will Marriott be ginghams us a 120 days extension on. using the points?

Grateful for your feedback

To poster Ebbesen; Not sure if you are aware of it or not, but if those are 2020 use points that you are talking about, then you will be allowed to move them forward for use into the year 2021 (assuming that they hadn't been moved forward from 2019 into 2020).

I recognize that the Marriott Point System is a difficult process to understand but hang in there and follow TUG. By the way, for a very small fee you can become a member of TUG and I think you will find it is the best $15 you ever spent.

swainj

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a fee to move the 2020 holding points to 2021?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Can holding points be used in Interval?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can holding points be converted into a week and deposited into interval?
I know previously banked points can right up to the day they expire.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can holding points be converted into a week and deposited into interval?
I know previously banked points can right up to the day they expire.

Holding Points can be used to purchase Travel Insurance in 2021, I assume you could use those same Holding Points to purchase Travel Insurance in 2022 and beyond.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
And you know that for certain? Not challenging your knowledge at all, just checking- I had planned to check with MVC but hoping not to need to because I get to use them.
I have had a couple of long discussion with their reps about what I could use Holding points for. There are indeed many options but depositing into II and exchange into golf rounds or academy were not included. Go ahead and call and see if you get a different answer.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll let you know if I am told different.
I was trying to use up expiring previously banked points last year with no MVC stay before they expired and the options I was given were golf or deposit as a week into II. It didn’t occur to me that couldn’t be done with holding account points. Still a lot of year left- hopefully all will work out.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always purchased the Marriott travel insurance, which is Travelex. As a matter of fact, purchased until the end of 2021. First time, we tried to use them and found it very difficult and probably, almost useless. Of course, everyone has an issue with Coronavirus, but we had issues with a family member taken to the hospital, and given a neurosurgeon's documentation that he cannot fly. Such a hassel!! We just decided with all the stress of this medical situation to get what the airlines are giving and take the ridiculous holding points. First, Marriott, doesn't know any details about the insurance, even though you purchase it through them. I realize it is a really stressful time for everyone, but Travelex doesn't have any answers also. Usually, if you need to use insurance, it is for a very serious situation, and not having anywhere to get any accurate information from any source is quite upsetting.