• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A question to the Hawaii pros (those who have been often):

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We have a trip to Hawaii currently scheduled for late May / early June. Obviously this has been planned for some time - long before COVID 19.
This question is a bit long - bear with me here - but do know in advance this question is NOT health related in origin. Here goes:

As noted, this is our first trip to Hawaii. It may be our only trip because there are so many other places we still want to see.
We want to see Hawaii at its best and fortunately (based on what I have read) TBI (Kona) seems to have that covered (and covered well).
The physical beauty of Hawaii is (I suspect) not altered at all by any virus. Hawaii will no doubt be special.
But that leads to the question - since the issues with COVID 19 are likely to still be playing out then, might that effect the experience of visiting Hawaii?

Asked in another way, is the experience that is associated with visiting Hawaii being diminished while this virus plays out?
Is it effecting the attractions and activities? What signs should those of us who have never visited Hawaii look for as indications that the experience might be (somewhat) lessened as COVID 19 plays out?

Again, just to be clear, this is not asking the question if it is safe to travel to/from Hawaii - rather, under the current circumstances, might the enjoyment of the trip (and the environment and people) be lessened?
Is there a good (reliable) source to read about the state of the activity and adventure outfits on TBI?

Hopefully this comes across as intended.
Thanks in advance for any insights or opinions.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We love Hawaii for the beaches and the beauty of the islands. Unless they start closing down the public beaches that can always be enjoyed, and would even be more enjoyable with less people.

What sort of activities did you think you would be doing while you are there?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Following the pattern of mainland, luaus may be cancelled. Possibly large ship/boat sailings curtailed. Of all places I have vacationed, Hawaii seems it would be least interrupted.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Unavoidable might be the airports and grocery stores which are the places that could be a problem. Once in Kona there is plenty to do without people problems, imo.

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We love Hawaii for the beaches and the beauty of the islands. Unless they start closing down the public beaches that can always be enjoyed, and would even be more enjoyable with less people.

What sort of activities did you think you would be doing while you are there?

We did have a few activities on the planner that would have us around more than just a few people - trip to the observatory, snorkeling cruise to marine life, manta ray cruise, etc BUT more than half the time we plan to be there involves activities where it would just be the two of us most likely.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Following the pattern of mainland, luaus may be cancelled. Possibly large ship/boat sailings curtailed. Of all places I have vacationed, Hawaii seems it would be least interrupted.

This is along the line of what I was wondering - to me, this would be a sign that the Hawaii we would experience would be at something less than its best.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Anything that involves groups of people are likely to be affected, at least for awhile. Not only luaus, but restaurants, tours, and things where a group would congregate (e.g. churches are cancelling services, to reduce crowds.) You'll have to decide what and how much "difference" you want. Driving yourself around, seeing beaches, and visiting locations would likely be easy to do, but if things like Volcano National Park is closed (I don't know if that's coming, but it might), your experience will be something less than it might.

You'll need to decide for yourself how much Hawaiian experience you want that is created by others.

Dave

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally get what you are asking, but I'm not sure you can get an informed answer right now given you're effectively asking how might experiences in Hawaii be impacted 2-3 months from now. Others have indicated how the CURRENT restrictions might affect Hawaii. However, look at the patterns...Italy is in total lockdown, France will close all non-essential stores, restaurants and other venues tomorrow, Spain will go on total lockdown as of midnight tonight, the US-EU travel restrictions have been expanded to the UK and in that expansion Trump said they are evaluating domestic travel restrictions. So, let's say you can actually go to Hawaii in late May/early June (because if you can't, your question is moot as the decision has been taken out of your hands). Yes, most of Hawaii is about natural beauty and experiences that can be done relatively independently, but I'm not sure it's possible to truly enjoy ANYWHERE if the sort of restrictions that are spreading across Europe continue to even just parts of the US.

Kapolei

Reaction score
The Big Island is big. There is plenty to do without getting in close proximity to others. My concern would be the flight. Once you arrive, travel in places and times with low volume of people.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Assuming the following is accurate, this would be a pretty definitive sign...
Hawaii Governor just asked visitors not to come for next 30 days. Most restaurants and activities are shut down, even the pool at the resort is closed. It might be a waste right now plus added risk with airports, etc.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, do you feel all travel restrictions will lifted by the end of June 2020?

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

I hope so! I have a week on Oahu starting June 24. A studio in HHV Kalia Tower is hard to get.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't think anyone can predict at this time. My feeling is things will be better, or they'll be worse.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Big Island - As of now all of our local restaurants that have not closed are doing take out only. The visitor centers at both Mauna Kea and Volcano National Parks are closed. Beaches are starting to close their facilities (bathrooms/showers). As for entertainment, all of our local music venues have also closed. Our schools are closed. I think it is just a matter of time before some of the hotels start restricting access or closing. Most places have now posted indefinitely where before they set a date of March or April to begin operations again. That is now off the table.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for that update @lynne - we are still holding out for the end of May but it is looking less likely by the passing day...