• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WOW - Lots of nasty on FB about RCI and II

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Incredible the amount of slamming going on over there against RCI and II.

Of course, just about everyone that wants to cancel, has to cancel, but don't have any type of insurance whatsoever.
They all feel that the exchange companies should give them their week or points back, etc.

I'm pretty happy that RCI has the option for $103 to get my TPUs back. But, I will wait to see if Disney does anything about it since they closed the parks. My guess is not, because the resort is still open.

So many people are DONE with them. Cool, more options for the rest of us in the future.

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
DVC has been putting points back in current UY instead of in holding and also putting borrowed points back to original UY. The only thing they aren’t allowing is banking points that are already banked - they expire at end of current UY.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My daughter had purchased two getaway weeks and is out the money now (her travel insurance doesn't cover pandemics) but her words were "I knew the risk going in". It was about $1,500. Ouch.

I think that some people just aren't cut out for timeshares. They want their bread buttered on both sides.

Side note. I got off of Facebook for two months between Thanksgiving and mid-January. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I still peek in once in awhile to check in on a few groups that I'm a member of, but in my opinion Facebook these days is sure full of a lot of whiners.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Incredible the amount of slamming going on over there against RCI and II.

Of course, just about everyone that wants to cancel, has to cancel, but don't have any type of insurance whatsoever.
They all feel that the exchange companies should give them their week or points back, etc.

I'm pretty happy that RCI has the option for $103 to get my TPUs back. But, I will wait to see if Disney does anything about it since they closed the parks. My guess is not, because the resort is still open.

So many people are DONE with them. Cool, more options for the rest of us in the future.
It's justified slamming. I have no upcoming res. either.
Does this meet the criteria for travel insurance?
Why should RCI and II be immune to the pain the rest of the industry is feeling? Every other company is making exceptions to their policies.
RCI and II are just being cheap.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
But you don't get your exchange fees back, and that is a substantial amount. If they would hold it for you to put toward another exchange in the next 60 days or so, that would be helpful.

marsh0013

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried calling DVC and see if they’re able to do anything? If the cancellation came from Disney’s side, would we get our TPU and exchange fee back? Not sure if they’d even do that but kinda just waiting it out. We were supposed to check in to SSR March 29 but we’re not going now with the park closure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the flexibility e.g. Delta has afforded me, I also assumed that I was self-insuring all along, and that I bore the risk if for some reason I could not go on a trip. It would be nice if RCI, II, and others did something for people, but I don't begrudge them if they don't. I knew the risks when I booked, and adjusted how far in advance I was willing to book things as the virus began spreading.

Dorothy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pinestead Reef, Players Club HH, Mountainside VIllas, Legacy Spas
Just got off phone with II, As of noon today, II is willing to work with giving a getaway change certificate to those who ask. I did have the II trip insurance, but "pandemics" aren't covered. Getaway certificate will be good to 12-31..2020 and I can deal with that.
Also had EPlus on a separate confirmed reservation for Spain. Normally within 30 would only get a 60 day certificate as replacement, but by asking nicely, a supervisor over-road the 60 day limit to the original expiration date in 2021. I rebooked something immediately for the end of the year since it would have to be booked with a human and not on line, and I did have a human on the line. 3pm speech by Trump today will be interesting.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got off phone with II, As of noon today, II is willing to work with giving a getaway change certificate to those who ask. I did have the II trip insurance, but "pandemics" aren't covered. Getaway certificate will be good to 12-31..2020 and I can deal with that.
Also had EPlus on a separate confirmed reservation for Spain. Normally within 30 would only get a 60 day certificate as replacement, but by asking nicely, a supervisor over-road the 60 day limit to the original expiration date in 2021. I rebooked something immediately for the end of the year since it would have to be booked with a human and not on line, and I did have a human on the line. 3pm speech by Trump today will be interesting.
Was the getaway certificate given because you had to cancel a getaway?

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried calling DVC and see if they’re able to do anything? If the cancellation came from Disney’s side, would we get our TPU and exchange fee back? Not sure if they’d even do that but kinda just waiting it out. We were supposed to check in to SSR March 29 but we’re not going now with the park closure.

I'm in the same boat with SSR starting 3/21. The way I look at it is I spend 12 TPUs and $229 exchange fee for a week room at SSR. That option is still available to me, I can still go and stay the week because SSR is still open. I am choosing not to go because the entertainment in the area I wanted isn't available. If I have to pay the $103 to get my TPUs back, it is what it is. I made the call not to go to a room that presumably will be ready and waiting for me.

With that said, I have until the 20th to buy the protection. I will wait it out just in case RCI decides to do something.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score

Great info!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'm in the same boat with SSR starting 3/21. The way I look at it is I spend 12 TPUs and $229 exchange fee for a week room at SSR. That option is still available to me, I can still go and stay the week because SSR is still open. I am choosing not to go because the entertainment in the area I wanted isn't available. If I have to pay the $103 to get my TPUs back, it is what it is. I made the call not to go to a room that presumably will be ready and waiting for me.

With that said, I have until the 20th to buy the protection. I will wait it out just in case RCI decides to do something.
I decided to use the protection for one of my weeks. It saved me 32 points.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made the call not to go to a room that presumably will be ready and waiting for me.
And I'm sure that will be the argument of all the companies that don't make exceptions. Nevermind doing anything other than sitting in the room.
It's a shameless cop-out.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got through. They are offering a getaway certificate with no additional charge good through 12/31/20 for each getaway week that my daughter had to cancel. The catch is that it can only be used 30 days out. I'm not holding out a ton of hope. They are using exchange inventory, not getaway inventory. I expect they will be like most AC's with fairly low trade power. But at least there will be no fee.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more tidbit - there's a tab there (for now) that allows you to extend this AC for 6 months $99 or 12 months $189, in case you want to pour some more money into this.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also got the offer of a week I can use later bookable only 30 days in advance but no fee. The exchange I cancelled started today at Custom House (it was for my sister) and the Canadian government is not advising travel even to the US. My niece was very nervous and decided to cancel the trip yesterday. I'm not holding out for a fabulous exchange but since my sister and I are both retired now I have hopes that we will be able to find something.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got through. They are offering a getaway certificate with no additional charge good through 12/31/20 for each getaway week that my daughter had to cancel. The catch is that it can only be used 30 days out. I'm not holding out a ton of hope. They are using exchange inventory, not getaway inventory. I expect they will be like most AC's with fairly low trade power. But at least there will be no fee.

Not the greatest....but still better than what she signed up for. Which was no refund. Period.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not the greatest....but still better than what she signed up for. Which was no refund. Period.
Yep, takes away some of the sting. Unfortunately the resort that they booked for it's proximity to their climbing spot (in Switzerland, but near Milan) in only available through the Getaway inventory. But what can you do? I'm hoping that Whister might pop up. It's not too far from another climbing spot.

Dorothy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, and I was told that since the certificate I got was for a 3 bedroom, I would get up to a 3 bedroom. These are some "NEW" form of getaway certificates that I have to book with a human, and not on line.

Dorothy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, and I was told that since the certificate I got was for a 3 bedroom, I would get up to a 3 bedroom. These are some "NEW" form of getaway certificates that I have to book with a human, and not on line.
Perhaps because my original getaway was for a week quite a few months out and cost me some $$$,(booked end of March back last October) I was told I would have til 12-31-2020 to use the new getaway, but I would need to speak with a rep - I wouldn't be able to book it on line. Also was told it would take 24-48 hours before I see this in my account.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
DEPOSITS

What about weeks that have been deposited and extended
and currently have an expiration date during 2020. Will RCI
extend their deposits for a few months or until this is over
without charging an additional extension fee.

1 Month Extension$29
3 Month Extension$69
6 Month Extension$99
12 Month Extension$119

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The larger issue this suggests is why RCI charges so much for exchanges and membership in the first place. Those costs have risen for above the rate of inflation and are excessive.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Given all of these Getaway certificates, AC's, and redeposited points -- all of which need to be used during 2020 -- there will be intense competition for exchange weeks the second half of this year. Many exchangers are going to find themselves disappointed for a second time. It will be like musical chairs -- there won't be enough chairs to go around.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Given all of these Getaway certificates, AC's, and redeposited points -- all of which need to be used during 2020 -- there will be intense competition for exchange weeks the second half of this year. Many exchangers are going to find themselves disappointed for a second time. It will be like musical chairs -- there won't be enough chairs to go around.

Yup 100% true