• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco and Coronavirus Panic-Shopping

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Regarding Costco returns, I really hope they demand that anyone returning TP or water stand in a separate line. Our store's return line is always out the door in normal circumstances.

Most Costco’s don’t have room for more than one refund line. I tried to say this when I started this thread, but the return lines are going to be insane. People should avoid panic shopping. And if they don’t, they have no room to complain about waiting in a long refund line. They can’t have it both ways. :)

Dave

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was at Costco yesterday morning. Needed to buy some TP and kleenex before I run out, but none to be had so I bought a case of paper towels and water instead :p. Water was limited to 2 per member but looking at some of the carts, the member apparently couldn't read :crash:. Paper towels were just about out. Will be so glad when this is over.

Ingrid

Yo ..... Psst..... Yea you..... Over here..... :cool:

Got some reeeeaaaally nice stuff here. Soft... 2 ply..... just a hundred bucks a roll and more where that come from.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
It is just something that I throw together on the fly, based on what I have in the fridge and freezer. Here it goes.
- One medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 8 tablespoons of pre-cooked bacon, Costco sells them in a large bags, found on non-refrigerated shelves
- 5 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 boxes (32 oz each) of organic chicken stock - I normally get them at Traders Joe. You can use the regular or low sodium ones. With low sodium stock you may want to add a bit of salt to the soup if you find that it needs salt at the end of the cooking process.
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 8 oz of roasted halved brussel sprouts (leftover from prior meal)
- 1 red/orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 or 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shelled edamame, found in freezer section (skip this if someone is allergic to soy)
- 4 to 6 cups of 1-inch sliced napa cabbage
- 1 jalapeno diced or 1 teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Costco rotesserie chicken, deboned and sliced to bite size

1. Stir fry onion, bacon and garlic until onion starts to turn transparent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, jalapeno, edamame and chicken stock. Let it boil, cover and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Add brussel sprouts and bell pepper for boil/simmer for another 10 minutes
4 Add chicken, napa cabbage and black pepper to taste, boil for another 10 minutes.

If you want some rice, you can scoop chicken vegetable soup over rice in a bowl. I normally use Costco's pre-cooked brown rice and have 1/3 bowl of it with the chicken vegetable soup. If someone prefers potatoes, you can add to the soup. My husband is diabetic and he eats it without additional starch.
Thanks this sounds great. I’m going to make this on Saturday

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
[QUOTE="WVBaker]
Yo ..... Psst..... Yea you..... Over here..... :cool:

Got some reeeeaaaally nice stuff here. Soft... 2 ply..... just a hundred bucks a roll and more where that come from.
[/QUOTE]

Like I said in an earlier post when I'm talking to my husband and start with a sentence that includes TUG and Costco he knows he's going to laugh, learn something and often both.

So today in this thread we have a hat trick. Hockey reference. I got a great soup recipe. Thanks VacationForever! I'm so looking into buying that bidet thingy. Thanks WinniWoman! And thanks to WVBaker for the best laugh of the day!

OLRi2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake River Island
The Quarter House
Fitzpatrick Castle
Macdonald Villacana Resort
Most Costco’s don’t have room for more than one refund line. I tried to say this when I started this thread, but the return lines are going to be insane. People should avoid panic shopping. And if they don’t, they have no room to complain about waiting in a long refund line. They can’t have it both ways. :)

Dave

I am confused about the need to return toilet paper...is this something that will no longer be needed when this situation is under control? Will the cure for the virus also "cure" the need for toilet paper? :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am confused about the need to return toilet paper...is this something that will no longer be needed when this situation is under control? Will the cure for the virus also "cure" the need for toilet paper? :)

No, but the same panic-shoppers who will want to return those extra dozen cases of water will want to return a few bricks of TP at the same time. Every time things get weird people overshop, then want to return the excess when the calamity is over.

Dave

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Ok. I just don’t get the panic shopping for TP. Personally, I finally went out to Costco tonight to stock up on what is really needed if I get Corona Virus. Limes!

B8A2A387-0480-4689-88A6-FDF267982BE3.jpeg

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I know we've joked a lot but our son pointed out to me tonight that my husband and I are in the age group to be concerned about the corona virus. So here is what Dr. Jan recommends you have on hand rather than a lifetime supply of toilet paper for a family the size of the Duggars.

Buy Zicam and good old Vicks Vapor Rub. Also green tea, raw honey and fresh lemons.

Raw honey looks like a creamy paste. Don't microwave your tea after you've added it as that kills the good stuff in the raw honey. Honey is an old sore throat remedy. Add it to hot tea with lemon when a cold or flu virus hits you. It also works as a cough suppressant. Just take one or two teaspoonfuls, straight. The phytonutrients in raw honey are responsible for its antioxidant properties, as well as its antibacterial and antifungal power. They’re also thought to be the reason raw honey has shown immune-boosting and anticancer benefits. Heavy processing destroys these valuable nutrients.

Theophylline is mainly found in black and green tea, but also in green coffee, cocoa and mate. Theophylline relaxes smooth muscle of the airways of the lungs.

Even WebMD recommends a hot lemon drink made from fresh lemons.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was sent this picture from our local BJ's this morning. I hope it is kosher to put a picture of BJ's with a Costco title. This is two days after the first confirmed case in Delaware. Note the joyful look in the shopper's eyes.

1584125590562.png

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was sent this picture from our local BJ's this morning. I hope it is kosher to put a picture of BJ's with a Costco title. This is two days after the first confirmed case in Delaware. Note the joyful look in the shopper's eyes.

View attachment 17854

What I’ve been seeing is that as the virus spreads, and gets “closer to home,” people start taking it more seriously. And you can bet once they start naming names of real people who have it, it’ll get REALLY serious.

Dave

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I went to my local (South Central Wisconsin) Costco yesterday. I was out of B/S chicken. Would have picked up paper towels(I have a 17 week old puppy who still has accidents) if any had been available. Nope, no paper towels, no toilet paper. Plenty of bottled water. Most of the bays throughout the food section were only half full(Refrigerator/freezer/dry goods). I did need tortillas, got the second to the last package. Wanted some Kirkland pink sea salt kettle cooked chips...nope none available.

Parking lot was nutz. The cart corrals were full. Few carts inside the store. My neighbor stopped today said it was worse. He turned around once he saw the lines inside the store.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Got to our Costco when it opened at 9am this morning and couldn't believe the number of people there! Picked up a couple of items and headed to the grocery store for a few things...almost as bad there. Tons of people and sparse shelves. And it's going to get worse!

Ingrid

keno999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Worldmark
Morritt's Grand Tortuga
I went to the Manassas, VA Costco yesterday for my regular trip to there and Trader Joe's. When I got there about 0950 the line to get into the store stretched halfway around the very large building! Moved on to TJ's where it was business as usual.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I'll trade you a canister of disinfectant wipes for a couple rolls of TP.
So we were on our way home from the airport last night when my wife and daughter saw on social media that a local Harmon Beauty supply store had just received a shipment of disinfectant wipes canisters. It happened to be right on our way home, so we stopped and picked up 12 double packs (there was a limit of 3 per person...we almost brought our 13 month old grandson in to get another 3...LOL) for us and several friends and family members. Unreal!
IMG_0005.jpeg

terrygee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry Harry, nope. I may just be the only one willing to contradict Dave. I typically agree with everything he posts, but this is an exception!
I'm with everyone else, Ken.
You really posted a poor hot take on Dave's informative and prescient post.
People gotta get a grip, slow down, prepare and act SENSIBLY for their own and everyone else's good.
We are all in this together, for better or worse!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very concerned because when major sponsors cancel major events as followers:
NCAA Basketball March Madness, the NBA and the NHL season, spring training for MLB, and all PGA events.

Walt Disney Corporation closed Disney World & Disney Land
Universal studios are closed in Florida & California

The Boston Marathon

Major entertainment events are being cancel all over the United States

Lost travel in the airlines industry & cruise industry

Lost revenue in the tourism

Lost revenue is estimated at one trillion dollars.

Last edited: