• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19 Travel Waiver

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC's current travel waiver (as of March 12 2020):

We are waiving booking cancellation and modification fees for stays through Tuesday, March 31, for guests traveling to and from Japan and South Korea.
We are also waiving booking cancellation and modification fees for stays through Friday, April 3, for guests traveling to and from Italy.

(edit) If you call in they will usually provide additional flexibility in refunding your points. Thanks to the posts below which pointed this out.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Have you looked at this thread - link

t1234y

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations
Vacation Internationale
HGVC's current travel waiver (as of March 12 2020) is pretty scant compared to other hotel/timeshare companies:

We are waiving booking cancellation and modification fees for stays through Tuesday, March 31, for guests traveling to and from Japan and South Korea.
We are also waiving booking cancellation and modification fees for stays through Friday, April 3, for guests traveling to and from Italy.

I hope they update to more flexibility quickly. I have are reservation for next week and obviously will not be traveling anymore.
I called yesterday and referenced the same notice, and she told me that it wasn't correct and they were allowing cancellation with no penalty. She cancelled my Vegas trip in 2 weeks, and said many people, especially seniors had already cancelled. Didn't ask what time frame they were allowing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

audirt

Reaction score
The difference between HGV and other travel companies is that HGV is playing to a captive audience. Other travel companies are playing nice in the hopes that you'll come back to them when this is over. HGV doesn't have to worry about that. You will be back, unless you sell your ownership.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in a similar spot (checking into NYC on 3/31), so I'd love them to do something. I'm just don't think they will.

EDIT TO ADD: I just saw the post from t1234y saying that the phone rep allowed them to cancel. I really hope that's the case. I'll call later today to find out.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This may be a good time to look for near-term availability.
I got a bunch of points I wanna use (or they'll end up saved).

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called yesterday and referenced the same notice, and she told me that it wasn't correct and they were allowing cancellation with no penalty. She cancelled my Vegas trip in 2 weeks, and said many people, especially seniors had already cancelled. Didn't ask what time frame they were allowing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Are you saying you got your reservation fees back? I know you can get all your points back.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points were returned, reservation fee was kept. Still - very good of HGVC.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Points were returned, reservation fee was kept. Still - very good of HGVC.

Crowded locations and venues are cancelling events all over the world. You could have gotten your points back if you moved the reservation out more than 30 days and then cancelled it. They should have given you the reservation fee back since you clearly are not cancelling this reservation because you want to; you have to for your health!

We are in Honolulu right now and have so many local shows booked between now until May that we will NOT be attending since they are in crowded venues. Lots of Seniors including us attend these events. They should cancel them and at the minimum give people credit for a future shows; like next year when hopefully this virus ends.

We are booked for the Beer Tasting Festival March 28th at Blaisdell. We won't be going to that since it is a crowded venue as well as their method of servicing the beer. When you enter they give you A small tasting glass. That is your glass for the entire 4 hour festival. You and everyone else get all your tastes in that glass. After the first taste the top of the glass is contaminated from your lips. When they pour you your second taste they always touch the top of the glass so that now the spout or bottle they poured out of is contaminated for the next person's glass. The next person to get a taste will have their glass contaminated from the spout of bottle.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're willing to go to all events that we planned, but they keep cancelling on us. So far, three plays cancelled and two concerts postponed. I can certainly understand some folks choosing not to go, but we'd go unless they cancel on us. I understand that there are risks, but I'm not (yet) afraid of crowds). We all have our own risk tolerances.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We're willing to go to all events that we planned, but they keep cancelling on us. So far, three plays cancelled and two concerts postponed. I can certainly understand some folks choosing not to go, but we'd go unless they cancel on us. I understand that there are risks, but I'm not (yet) afraid of crowds). We all have our own risk tolerances.

Cheers.

brp, you may not be a Senior yet. Seniors are in increased danger as well as people with respiratory conditions. We have contacted the local theatre in Honolulu and while at this time the performances are still being held, I have gotten credit for a future performances even if it is next year. That is totally acceptable to me and all I could expect.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
brp, you may not be a Senior yet. Seniors are in increased danger as well as people with respiratory conditions. We have contacted the local theatre in Honolulu and while at this time the performances are still being held, I have gotten credit for a future performances even if it is next year. That is totally acceptable to me and all I could expect.

Well, I am 6 months away from the magic "over 60" guideline. I also realize that these are just numbers and physical condition is far more significant a factor. I can see that those not in great shape would be more concerned and not want to go. So, for us, unless they cancel we'll go. Others may well make different decisions based on their own health.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
they started to refund the booking fees , so call them up for a refund...

Actually, just got a notification from them now that says that one can cancel online and the refund will be automagically processed the next day. Assuming it works, beats what are likely long hold times now :)

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I am 6 months away from the magic "over 60" guideline. I also realize that these are just numbers and physical condition is far more significant a factor. I can see that those not in great shape would be more concerned and not want to go. So, for us, unless they cancel we'll go. Others may well make different decisions based on their own health.

Cheers.

Well we are in relatively good shape, however, I have had pneumonia before and while my husband has never had pneumonia he has upper respiratory problems with his sinuses. While I can understand you attending some events, would you attend the Beer Festival that I described above?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We are being cautious. My wife and I are upper 50s, but my wife is immune suppressed. I think we will continue to dine out occasionally, but we avoid large gatherings or festivals. I had been looking forward to a Beer and Bacon festival in my hometown. But not anymore.

We have a trip planned for May to Kings Land followed my MVC Waiohai, at least right now, we are still planning to go.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we are in relatively good shape, however, I have had pneumonia before and while my husband has never had pneumonia he has upper respiratory problems with his sinuses. While I can understand you attending some events, would you attend the Beer Festival that I described above?

Nope. But that's because I would have to drink more beer/eat more food at such an event than I would want to to make it worth the cost. So I'd not have signed up in the first place. Had I, for some reason, signed up, yes, I'd go. I am planning to go to any theatre/concert events that don't get cancelled. We are planning to do much flying in the next few months. We will be at Jazz Fest in New Orleans if it remains viable. And I'm not at all saying that these are the most prudent moves, but I didn't let 9/11 stop me from flying and this is not going to change my life substantially.

With that said, if either of us had (or had previously had) any sort of respiratory issues, my answer might well be different. Also, I definitely get why people are reluctant to go to events with lots of other people.

Cheers.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to check in to Miami Beach on April 6. While it's great that I can get my points and reservation fees back, what are the chances of getting another week in Miami Beach? Not the easiest place to find. Oh well. I don't plan on canceling just yet, more wait and see.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two reservations for Las Vegas in April (one with a guest certificate attached) that I am thinking of cancelling. The email from HGVC sent today (March 13) says "We are waiving Club cancellation penalties for travel to any HGV property for check-in dates before May 15, 2020, and we are also refunding your booking fee for applicable reservations. " Which does not make it perfectly clear to me... One of my two reservations is now into Open Season but the other still can be booked as Club..

I'm hoping that their statement is saying that I can cancel the reservation which is now under 30 days out without the usual penalty? And what is it that makes a reservation an "applicable reservation" for the refund of the booking fee? One of them has a guest certificate applied to it (the one that is now under 30 days out)...

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to check in to Miami Beach on April 6. While it's great that I can get my points and reservation fees back, what are the chances of getting another week in Miami Beach? Not the easiest place to find. Oh well. I don't plan on canceling just yet, more wait and see.
Miami doesn't seem to have a lot of availability yet but Las Vegas sure does. I expect it might open up for Miami in the coming weeks as cancellations come in.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nope. But that's because I would have to drink more beer/eat more food at such an event than I would want to to make it worth the cost. So I'd not have signed up in the first place. Had I, for some reason, signed up, yes, I'd go. I am planning to go to any theatre/concert events that don't get cancelled. We are planning to do much flying in the next few months. We will be at Jazz Fest in New Orleans if it remains viable. And I'm not at all saying that these are the most prudent moves, but I didn't let 9/11 stop me from flying and this is not going to change my life substantially.

With that said, if either of us had (or had previously had) any sort of respiratory issues, my answer might well be different. Also, I definitely get why people are reluctant to go to events with lots of other people.

Cheers.

The reason for your NOPE answer to the question of attending the Beer Festival evaded the issue of the Virus Infection Potential. I am restating the prime contamination reason that we felt that we couldn't attend so that you can reconsider your reason for not attending:

"We are booked for the Beer Tasting Festival March 28th at Blaisdell. We won't be going to that since it is a crowded venue as well as their method of servicing the beer. When you enter they give you A small tasting glass. That is your glass for the entire 4 hour festival. You and everyone else get all your tastes in that glass. After the first taste the top of the glass is contaminated from your lips. When they pour you your second taste they always touch the top of the glass so that now the spout or bottle they poured out of is contaminated for the next person's glass. The next person to get a taste will have their glass contaminated from the spout or bottle."

If the cost of the Beer Festival was $5 and you liked to drink beer so you book the event. In view of the above description about how the beer is served, would you still attend?

By the way they cancelled the Festival Today, so that my husband and my plea to cancel event was answered!

Quote Reply
Report Edit

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason for your NOPE answer to the question of attending the Beer Festival evaded the issue of the Virus Infection Potential. I am restating the prime contamination reason that we felt that we couldn't attend so that you can reconsider your reason for not attending:

Sorry if my answer was not clear, but I did not evade your question. I said I'd likely not have booked in the first place, just because of what it is but, if I had, I'd still go. Or, to be more clear still, we are going to Jazz Fest in New Orleans at the end of April. I don't believe that they will cancel. If they do not, we will go. I was supposed to go to plays tomorrow and next Sunday and a concert next Saturday. Had they not been cancelled/postponed, I would have gone.

I see people walking around wearing masks and gloves and realize that, while this is certainly real, there is considerably more hysteria than reality.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry if my answer was not clear, but I did not evade your question. I said I'd likely not have booked in the first place, just because of what it is but, if I had, I'd still go. Or, to be more clear still, we are going to Jazz Fest in New Orleans at the end of April. I don't believe that they will cancel. If they do not, we will go. I was supposed to go to plays tomorrow and next Sunday and a concert next Saturday. Had they not been cancelled/postponed, I would have gone.

I see people walking around wearing masks and gloves and realize that, while this is certainly real, there is considerably more hysteria than reality.

Cheers.

I certainly agree that in this response you were VERY CLEAR. I also agree with you that there is more hysteria than reality. However, some personal actions at this time seem to be asking for the spread of this disease. Thankfully governments and event holders are taking certain actions to prevent people from spreading the disease and not letting those who have tickets make the decision to attend on their own. Cancelling this event in my opinion is one of those actions.

Eglesfn

Reaction score

Cheers.
It is not only yourself you should be concerned about. If you come in contact with someone that has the virus then you can bring it home and spread it to others that are not in such good health.

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
It is not only yourself you should be concerned about. If you come in contact with someone that has the virus then you can bring it home and spread it to others that are not in such good health.

Agreed. This COVID-19 is worse than the SARS/MERS respiratory illnesses in the past. This is causing pneumonia/ARDS which has proven dangerous for the at risk populations. Stay safe everyone!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

I do understand. I just think that there's a fine line between being safe and being paranoid. Not sure just where the line is, or whether paranoia is really out of place, really. With the still extremely low (apparent) prevalence of actual cases, I'd still consider going to something like this. As things change, so do my decisions.

Cheers.