• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much do you pay at your salon to do your roots? I was shocked today.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I decided to get my roots done today. I normally use a touch up spray until I do the works at the salon, a cut, roots and a hair treatment. With the virus not sure when I will be able to go again so decided to do it. It was about a third of an inch, just the roots, no cut, no blow out. The cost was $108. Seems a la cart the place I go to robs me. My stylist told me because she is a senior stylist her prices are higher then a junior. She told me I can save a lot of money using a junior stylist when I do my roots and use her only when I do the works. It took her a total of 15 minutes.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got home from having my hair cut, brows dyed, roots done and highlighted for $110. Higher than it was before Christmas—-I was paying $85

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Ouch! My hair is light colored enough that the little bit of gray I do have't doesn't make me cringe when I look in the mirror. Yet. At 68.5 I know how lucky I am. Your post gave me an inspiration. I thought I'm so telling my husband about your post and saying "See, my recent timeshare purchase is covered by all the money I save not highlighting or coloring my hair." Then I reconsidered. If I did that I'd better hope time continues to be real, real good to me because otherwise at some point I'd be hearing "Well, I guess this means there'll be no buying more timeshares now!"

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not paid someone to color my roots or highlight my hair for 21 months. Seriously. I highlight and color my own hair. The main issue I have is that I am severely allergic to alot of chemicals and when my hair gets done "professionally", my scalp burns and itch for days and I have to put steroid lotion onto my scalp to calm it down. I take alot of care when I do my own color plus the out of the box stuff agrees with my scalp. It also saves me a ton of money. During these 21 months, I went to the hairdresser once to get my hair cut, which was last month. Now that with coronavirus risk, I am back to cutting my own hair which I do every 8 weeks.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I decided to get my roots done today. I normally use a touch up spray until I do the works at the salon, a cut, roots and a hair treatment. With the virus not sure when I will be able to go again so decided to do it. It was about a third of an inch, just the roots, no cut, no blow out. The cost was $108. Seems a la cart the place I go to robs me. My stylist told me because she is a senior stylist her prices are higher then a junior. She told me I can save a lot of money using a junior stylist when I do my roots and use her only when I do the works. It took her a total of 15 minutes.

That's the kind of thing where, even though I've been happy in the past, it makes me want to do a little research. And the little research often leads to the realization that I should be going elsewhere. Therefore "rutabaga" (our word for roots) unhappiness might just lead to a switch away from a long time service provider. One of the times I did this, I went back to my long time workroom and said "I love your work and have been happy for the last nine years, but I can't wait 8 weeks for pinch pleated draperies". She really didn't care. Guess what? The new gal who got my pinch pleat work because I was unhappy with the wait time got all my "fancy work" six months after that and my long time workroom lost my business completely.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not paid someone to color my roots or highlight my hair for 21 months. Seriously. I highlight and color my own hair. The main issue I have is that I am severely allergic to alot of chemicals and when my hair gets done "professionally", my scalp burns and itch for days and I have to put steriod lotion onto my scalp to calm it down. I take alot of care when I do my own color plus the out of the box stuff agrees with my scalp. It also saves me a ton of money. During this 21 months, I went to the hairdresser once to get my hair cut, which was last month. Now that with coronavirus risk, I am back to cutting my own hair which I do every 8 weeks.
What brand do you use? I find in the salon I am ok with Redkin, everything else bothers me. Years ago when I did my own hair I was able to use the Loreal excellence line.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What roots? What hair? :) We have a woman in our chorale who sings baritone (don't laugh- she has a deep voice). She has always had dark auburn hair, and came in for our first rehearsal back in September all bleach blonde! Turns out she'd been coloring her hair for 50 years and was tired of it and decided to revert to her natural hair color, so she lightened it to as close as she could then as it grows out everything matches. I suppose it saves her a lot of money too.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I get foils (highlights to my roots separated by tin foil) and a trim for $125, plus tip.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'll make you feel better. I pay $180 for cut, color, and highlights. I used to do it myself but it always looked kind of DIY in the sun - super brassy. Now no one knows that I color my hair at all. My DIY just didn't look professional.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll make you feel better. I pay $180 for cut, color, and highlights. I used to do it myself but it always looked kind of DIY in the sun - super brassy. Now no one knows that I color my hair at all. My DIY just didn't look professional.
For $72 more you got a cut, highlights and I assume a blowout. With highlights that is a great price. Mine was just the roots, going home wet.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I get roots, cut and blowout for $82 including tip. When I get full color and highlights with cut and blowout it's about $120 + tip. Stylist is excellent (and I live in expensive California.) She said she has many customers that only come every six months. I am a regular every 5 - 6 weeks.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW has used the same stylist monthly for MT 6 years for roots & color.
The price has stayed $80 (incl. tip) "becuz she's a regular."

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in SW Florida in an old fashioned hair salon I pay 75-95 for Redken color and glaze, sometimes highlights, sometimes a trim. I have one layer shoulder length hair. Every 4 weeks. When I go back to Maryland to my Redken elite salon I can pay up to 225. There is a big difference in the quality of the cut and the application of the color.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cut and colot at Supercuts is about $53. Up north it is $72 and he styles it, at a regular salon. I like the cut at Supercuts better

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
$0. I stopped coloring my hair a few years ago. I actually always just colored my own hair as I was too cheap to have it done professionally.

I am now looking for an inexpensive salon to cut whatever hair I have left on my head. It is very short and thin and fine. Usually takes 10 minutes and I refuse to pay like $40 to get it done. I paid $20 plus tip where I used to live.

I always have my wig...

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Cut and colot at Supercuts is about $53. Up north it is $72 and he styles it, at a regular salon. I like the cut at Supercuts better

Someone recommended Supercuts in Belmont, NH and I am going to try them maybe next week. I am overdue for a cut.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
It costs me $6 to do my own and that‘s only because I use 2 boxes of revlon color because I have long thick hair. I routinely get compliments and people are surprised when I tell them it’s not my nature color. I am not careful. I slap it on, rub it in ,and 25 minutes later wash it out.

Blondies can’t color at home.
If your dying your hair jet black just don’t you look like a witch ( unless black is natural to your nationality) and what’s up with the purple pink and green hair these days yuck.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
wow, this is all illuminating. I never wanted to color my hair, am not a salon-goer. These are shocking numbers.

I'm with you. When my hair started turning gray I had neither time nor money to do anything with it. Still don't. A friend who is a hairdresser cuts it for $10 (I give her $15)--and does better than anyone else who has ever cut it. I can't believe what you all are paying for hair care!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Full head of foiled highlights, short hair cut and style. Take about 2 hours, charges me $100. plus tip.

I just keep it blonde, which I used to be. My grey around my face only, tends to look just like highlights.

I was white haired as a child, but have turned to dirty blonde, or light brown as an adult. I highlight just to turn me back into a blonde again. LOL

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have white hair, and I kind of like it. It's not yet as pretty as my grandmother's was, but it's turned white instead of a "salt and pepper" gray.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Blondies can’t color at home.

I've done mine for 30+ years. I was a blonde until 12 years old-so maybe that makes a difference. I get lots of compliments (shoulder length). I use an "ash" color to cut the brassy and also am not careful, just squirt at the rootline with 10 big "parts" in my hair, then "streak" it sloppily through the rest.
It's not so much the $ of a salon, it's the time to sit there. I do mine and watch TV, sort laundry, wash dishes, etc.
light highlights in suburb DC are $125+.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
What brand do you use? I find in the salon I am ok with Redkin, everything else bothers me. Years ago when I did my own hair I was able to use the Loreal excellence line.
I used L'Oreal Excellence for years ... until sometime 2012'ish. The check-out clerk at my local grocery gave me a sharp reprimand when she scanned my boxed hair color , "All these lovely organic vegetables and you are still putting chemicals on your head?!?! Shame on you." (I fully expected her next move was to shove my shopping aside, dismiss me and call for the next customer. It was that bad.)

I never used that box. It sat in my bathroom counter for years before I threw it away.

Ever since, I've been using a rich medium-brown shade of Henna (Henna Maiden, to be specific). I use a half pack for root touch-ups (~4 weeks) and a full pack (~$16) when I want to do the whole head. My hair is mid-back length, strong and healthy. I love what the henna does for my hair condition and health!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have not paid someone to color my roots or highlight my hair for 21 months. Seriously. I highlight and color my own hair. The main issue I have is that I am severely allergic to alot of chemicals and when my hair gets done "professionally", my scalp burns and itch for days and I have to put steriod lotion onto my scalp to calm it down. I take alot of care when I do my own color plus the out of the box stuff agrees with my scalp. It also saves me a ton of money. During these 21 months, I went to the hairdresser once to get my hair cut, which was last month. Now that with coronavirus risk, I am back to cutting my own hair which I do every 8 weeks.
Me too! I have only had 2 professional cuts in the past 18 years. and I did not like either. I have learned to cut my own hair and every 3 months, I highlight it. My hair is naturally a dark blonde (now mixed with some gray) and I like some highlights - for the look and extra body. I use a frosting kit - a friend or hubs pulls the hair through and I do the rest. I have used Clairol, Loreal, and Revlon - all work fine. The key is to use a metal small embroidery hook and not the plastic ones. Loreal comes with those and I save them. If I do not let the solution stay on long enough to get pale yellow, then I have to use purple shampoo to make sure it does not look brassy. I often compliments on my hair.

Last edited: