• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale Mexican Timeshare

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Somebody know why if must of the timeshare in Mexico are RTU, owners try to give away free or for a few dollars and pay a broker, if I think there are not legal problems for just stop paying maintenance.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It's not a problem only if the RTU mf is paid to a Mexican company. That is the case for many older Mexican contracts. In recent years Mexican developers have started working with American based companies which could give some Mexican developers the right to take you to court in the USA depending on the verbiage in your contract. My guess is that many older weeks contracts are not enforceable in the USA and many of the point system contracts with an American affiliation are.

So it depends. But then there is the age factor. At a certain age most people can survive just fine with a ding on their credit, imo.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt strongly that a Mexican TS company will even take an 'owner's to court. As soon as it's brought up that the contract has no value, their only case is for 'Breach of Contract ', and the only likely penalty is loss of use. And that's what the defaulting buyer wants anyway.

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a FAVC (Fiesta Americana) resale. If someone wants to give it away. I will more than happy to receive it.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Not sure I understand the original question. What maintenance fees would there be to pay on a RTU: Right To Use contract? With that type of contract, which I have with Vidanta, the only time I pay a fee is when I want to use a week.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
For many Mexican timeshare the MF is mandatory even if you don’t use your weeks

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I doubt strongly that a Mexican TS company will even take an 'owner's to court. As soon as it's brought up that the contract has no value, their only case is for 'Breach of Contract ', and the only likely penalty is loss of use. And that's what the defaulting buyer wants anyway.

I pretty much agree with you Jim.

A Mexican company can't take an American to court in the USA for loans made in Mexico. They can't report your default to the USA based credit agencies either. All they can really do is sell your debt.

Regarding American companies doing business in Mexico, Vacation Internationale is an example, they can sell a rtu and they can take you to court or collection in the USA. If you were in breach of contract in the USA on a rtu you could end up in civil court where a judgement is awarded. The presiding judge could issue a judgement that a management company could enforce by garnishing wages or levying bank accounts for amounts owed. If a deeded timeshare goes into default the process is foreclosure. In this process it could go to two ways, judicial or non-judicial. Judicial meaning a collectible judgement on the debtor. Non-judicial meaning a paper shuffle that allows the company to re-sell.

So it depends, imo. Before deciding to default a person better know what they have which also just my opinion.

Bill

Last edited:

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
It would be interesting to know if someone had been taken to court or affected in his credit for stop paying mf

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
For many Mexican timeshare the MF is mandatory even if you don’t use your weeks

I guess I don't quite understand. Are you saying there's a maintenance fee AND a usage fee when you want to use the week?

My understanding of Right To Use is that you pay a fee only when you want to use your contracted week. I currently have 2 contracts in Mexico. One has an annual maintenance fee that I have to pay every year, regardless of whether I use the week or not. But, I do have the option to call the company and bank that week for the next year's use. The other one I don't pay a fee unless I call and reserve a week.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I guess I don't quite understand. Are you saying there's a maintenance fee AND a usage fee when you want to use the week?

My understanding of Right To Use is that you pay a fee only when you want to use your contracted week. I currently have 2 contracts in Mexico. One has an annual maintenance fee that I have to pay every year, regardless of whether I use the week or not. But, I do have the option to call the company and bank that week for the next year's use. The other one I don't pay a fee unless I call and reserve a week.
I believe he meant what you wrote above for your first contract..you pay every year regardless whether you use the week or not. Once the MF is paid, it can be used, extended for the following year (some if not all RTU orgs) or banked in RCI, II, etc.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

A " Right to Use" timeshare gives the buyer a right to stay at the property outlined by the contract. A "deeded" timeshare is when you own a fraction of the property.

Some rtu's are like yours where you only pay when you use the property. I think many Vidanta contracts are like that. Most rtu's are either annual or every other year for a set amount of time that can be perpetual.

Bill

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
A " Right to Use" timeshare gives the buyer a right to stay at the property outlined by the contract. A "deeded" timeshare is when you own a fraction of the property.

Some rtu's are like yours where you only pay when you use the property. I think many Vidanta contracts are like that. Most rtu's are either annual or every other year for a set amount of time that can be perpetual.

Bill

Ok. Based upon what you said, a timeshare that's not associated with a deed should be considered Right To Use. And they come in 2 varieties. 1. Pay a usage fee when you make a reservation. 2. Pay a "maintenance" fee for the interval you're contract for (Annual, bi-annual, etc.).

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe any Mexican Timeshares are actually deeded...... I think all Mexican Timeshares are RTU.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok. Based upon what you said, a timeshare that's not associated with a deed should be considered Right To Use. And they come in 2 varieties. 1. Pay a usage fee when you make a reservation. 2. Pay a "maintenance" fee for the interval you're contract for (Annual, bi-annual, etc.).

Yes and no. Some systems are called clubs. Worldmark sells a membership to their " Club" which is pretty much a rtu, imo.

Most rtu contracts are paid yearly or every other year. Vidanta has some rtu's contracts that allow payment only when the week is used. Vidanta is the only developer that I am aware of that does this. Vidanta also charges a special assessment every five years equivalent to one mf.

Bill

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Yes and no. Some systems are called clubs. Worldmark sells a membership to their " Club" which is pretty much a rtu, imo.

Most rtu contracts are paid yearly or every other year. Vidanta has some rtu's contracts that allow payment only when the week is used. Vidanta is the only developer that I am aware of that does this. Vidanta also charges a special assessment every five years equivalent to one mf.

Bill

Vidanta has changed their contract formats periodically over the years; some older 25-year ones had a refurbishment fee of one MF every five years and a similar renewal fee at the 25 year point up to 100 years. It wasn’t a special assessment, but instead set out in the initial contract so it was predictable. @pittle has posted the history of the contract formats a couple of times; current ones have 1 registered week and annual “alternate use” weeks for the first ten years, accompanied by two variously named bonus weeks good for 10 years and renewable every 10 years up to a hundred for an MF each. They generally also provide access to 2 additional bonus weeks through SFX. The contracts themselves require MF payment for the registered week, but it’s either modified by addendum to not be required or it’s just for one use anyway.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

Bill

The 5 year fee is in the contract and called a Renovation Fee. Some no pay unless you go contracts have the 5 year reno fee, but pretty much every contract until they started the 10 year renewal program has the reno fee.