• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Credit Card Fraud again, frustrated and concerned

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
As I posted before, last week I got a new card because Fraud was on my prior. I don’t even have it a week and I have a problem again.

Right after last weeks incident I put alerts for every transaction on my credit card as well as my checking/savings accounts. Just a little while ago an alert happened, I have an Uber charge, not mine. Called the credit card company and they cancelled this new card and are issuing another.

I was careful, at gas station checked to make sure nothing attached, used at the grocery, Home Depot online order, Sams Club in person, at the doctor and Amazon.

I am frustrated. I am now getting more concerned. I think I am going to use only a specific card just for Amazon orders and charge nothing else on it to see if it happens again.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That's what I do. Airline tickets on one card. Travel purchases on another. Online purchases on a third. Narrows the playing field. :)

I hope you get it sorted out.

Dave

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what I do. Airline tickets on one card. Travel purchases on another. Online purchases on a third. Narrows the playing field. :)

I hope you get it sorted out.

Dave
I will do that.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow! That is craziness! I mean- what are the chances of that?

I mainly use one credit card for everything except if it is not accepted then I use another one.

I hope you can get this resolved. Very weird.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use the amazon card itself...5% additional discount on all purchases! I dont think ive actually ever gotten a physical "card" for it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! That is craziness! I mean- what are the chances of that?

I mainly use one credit card for everything except if it is not accepted then I use another one.

I hope you can get this resolved. Very weird.
I asked the rep has she had others in less then a week have fraud on a new card. She said yes.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Whoa, that is not good.

My credit card fraud issues I thought might be Wyndham. That was the only charge on that card for two years, just my MF payments. I had fraud three times in a few months. Never figured out what was going on, but it's been a while since it happened last.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use
- Amazon credit card for all Amazon and Whole Foods purchases.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve at restaurants and for non-Vistana and non-Marriott travel.
- Marriott Bonvoy AmEx for all Vistana, Marriott and other purchases.
- Costco Visa at Costco and gas stations.

So far I have had fraudulent charges on Chase Sapphire Reserve and Marriott Bonvoy AmEx cards. No issues with the other 2 cards.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I asked the rep has she had others in less then a week have fraud on a new card. She said yes.

I hope not..

But could you possibly be a victim of Identity Theft? It just seems more than one incident is a pattern. Do you have Identity Theft insurance? I know some banks offer systems where they monitor your identity and nip anything in the bud.

Good you use one credit card for now to narrow down the problem. At least your not liable for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope not..

But could you possibly be a victim of Identity Theft? It just seems more than one incident is a pattern. Do you have Identity Theft insurance? I know some banks offer systems where they monitor your identity and nip anything in the bud.

Good you use one credit card for now to narrow down the problem. At least your not liable for it.

I have been watching my accounts. The credit cards from the bank, old one and reissued one are the only problem so far. If identity theft happened prior how did they find out my new account number just given to me a few days ago. No identity theft insurance, will look into it, hopefully it hasn’t happened already.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I have been watching my accounts. The credit cards from the bank, old one and reissued one are the only problem so far. If identity theft happened prior how did they find out my new account number just given to me a few days ago. No identity theft insurance, will look into it, hopefully it hasn’t happened already.

From what I know once someone steals identity, they get access to all accounts, especially new ones. There are apps out there where it harvests all accounts if someone has the needed info to garner that identity.

Credit card numbers are all very unique and not reused so it’s strange when you had unauthorized use on a new account number.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Panina - is it possible someone has your online access info to this account? That might explain how they get your new info IF you did not change your password for any online access you might do.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I had a similar experience. My yahoo account had been compromised. I had fallen for a fishing scam. Changing my password solved the problem. I am now very suspicious of any email that requests an account information update.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had a similar experience. My yahoo account had been compromised. I had fallen for a fishing scam. Changing my password solved the problem. I am now very suspicious of any email that requests an account information update.
I never go thru links in an email so not the reason for this happening.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina - is it possible someone has your online access info to this account? That might explain how they get your new info IF you did not change your password for any online access you might do.
No one but me has access. If they had access they would have my bank account info too. My bank accounts are ok. I just joined credit karma as suggested from the credit department at the company someone tried to buy something using my previous credit card. Everything look goods. The info was very detailed. The only similarity on this credit card to the other closed one is an Amazon purchase. Both times the next day I had a problem.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From what I know once someone steals identity, they get access to all accounts, especially new ones. There are apps out there where it harvests all accounts if someone has the needed info to garner that identity.

Credit card numbers are all very unique and not reused so it’s strange when you had unauthorized use on a new account number.

Checked the credit bureaus and everything is fine, nothing out of the ordinary, so doesn't seem like identity theft. My gut says Amazon somehow as it is the common thing between both cards.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ask a couple of questions that may help figure this out.
1) do you have apple pay? Perhaps someone has access to your phone/wallet
2) do you put anything about your card/password on icloud, onedrive, or a similar cloud based back up?

I know you say you don't have an identity theft issue, but someone has access to your information. Could it be a family member? I've never seen anything like what is happening to you as random occurrences. There has to be someone that is hacking you.

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bank systems get compromised more than people think. If it’s the same card issuer and that’s your common denominator, my guess is someone that has access to your bank’s data is selling card lists.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to use only a specific card just for Amazon orders and charge nothing else on it to see if it happens again.
I only use the Chase Prime card for Amazon. I haven't had any problems with that card and I've been using it for a couple years solely at Amazon. It gives you 5% cashback on everything you buy at Amazon and Whole Foods.

While it hasn't happened in a while now, I used to get stolen credit cards often. Once I had my Chase Freedom # stolen 3 times in a 6 month period. I was pretty annoyed and asked their security department why it kept happening to that card. They said it was most likely from restaurants. I did tell them it wasn't happening to my other cards and I wondered if it was an inside job. They didn't comment, but it never happened again.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
My husband has put two-step verification on all of our cards and websites where we purchase (like PayPal and Amazon) so nobody can hijack those accounts.

I don't know a lot about it, but he was continually being hacked on his credit cards and those two sites specifically.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm going to ask a couple of questions that may help figure this out.
1) do you have apple pay? Perhaps someone has access to your phone/wallet
2) do you put anything about your card/password on icloud, onedrive, or a similar cloud based back up?

I know you say you don't have an identity theft issue, but someone has access to your information. Could it be a family member? I've never seen anything like what is happening to you as random occurrences. There has to be someone that is hacking you.
No Apple Pay. I do not use the phone wallet feature. No passwords info on any of my financial accounts and each one has a different password. No family member has my information.

I use an iPad, can that be hacked? I cleared all cookies. If my info was from my iPad then they would have all strokes from my other accounts too and all accounts are good.

Just will continue being diligent watching everything.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bank systems get compromised more than people think. If it’s the same card issuer and that’s your common denominator, my guess is someone that has access to your bank’s data is selling card lists.
Yes that is the common denominator. Or someone at Amazon is selling card info Another common denominator.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think Uber requires a CVV in order to update payment info. So that would mean that whoever used it would have had access to the physical card or the information from the physical card. I would expect Amazon to be PCI compliant and they wouldn't store the CVV number from the card in their system. While unlikely, there is the possibility that you have a keystroke logger installed on your computer that is sending the information to a hacker after you enter it. This may not be likely as I suspect this would be small potatoes to them. However, they often use things like Uber just to test out the card to see if it works, then go for the gusto!

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Uber requires a CVV in order to update payment info. So that would mean that whoever used it would have had access to the physical card or the information from the physical card. I would expect Amazon to be PCI compliant and they wouldn't store the CVV number from the card in their system. While unlikely, there is the possibility that you have a keystroke logger installed on your computer that is sending the information to a hacker after you enter it. This may not be likely as I suspect this would be small potatoes to them. However, they often use things like Uber just to test out the card to see if it works, then go for the gusto!

I guarantee you Amazon is not storing CVV/CVD. They’re audited frequently for PCI compliance due to their volume. They have a very advanced payments infrastructure.