• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Realistic timeframe on buying resale?

CourtShorr

Reaction score
We had an offer accepted last week for a resale week at NCV. (Through Redweek) Yay! We are excited...

Now, I know that we have to go through ROFR etc but how long should we realistically expect until we have the week in our name? We've been told as little as 4 weeks and as high as 12 weeks for closing and then Marriott actually putting us into the system. What's more accurate?

We had our offer accepted by the seller but so far all our agent has had us do is give our basic info and choose a vesting option.

Can you share what your experience has been buying resale? What should we plan for, time wise? (And what steps should we expect from here on out?)

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plan on 8-10 weeks for the closing and then another 2-3 weeks for the account to reflect on your account. If your ROFR comes back quickly, that can reduce your time by 1-2 weeks. My timeline is factoring in the full 30 days for ROFR.

Most of your time is spent waiting on Marriott. If the week is paid off all ready by the seller, that will reduce it by another 2-3 weeks. If there is still a loan on it, you have to wait for seller to pay it off first. They can’t use proceeds of the sale to pay off the loan.

So best case, if Marriott waives ROFR quickly and the loan is already paid off, you could close in as little as 2-3 weeks. But in reality, plan for 8-10.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Over the holidays it took under 8wks. Luckily like you, there was already a reservation on the account so I didn’t have to stress.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Plan on 8-10 weeks for the closing and then another 2-3 weeks for the account to reflect on your account. If your ROFR comes back quickly, that can reduce your time by 1-2 weeks. My timeline is factoring in the full 30 days for ROFR.

Most of your time is spent waiting on Marriott. If the week is paid off all ready by the seller, that will reduce it by another 2-3 weeks. If there is still a loan on it, you have to wait for seller to pay it off first. They can’t use proceeds of the sale to pay off the loan.

So best case, if Marriott waives ROFR quickly and the loan is already paid off, you could close in as little as 2-3 weeks. But in reality, plan for 8-10.

Thank you. Once closing is finished how will I know Marriott has put it into their system?

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Over the holidays it took under 8wks. Luckily like you, there was already a reservation on the account so I didn’t have to stress.
There is a reservation currently in place but we actually asked them to move it as part of a contingency on the offer. They said they would as soon as they have our escrow money. Hopefully that doesn't set us back longer.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Our last resale purchase was through Redweek full service for Marriott's Waiohai on Kauai. Here is our rough timeline:

Initial contact with Redweek broker: March 12, 2019
Offer made and accepted: March 17, 2019
Contract for Purchase Executed: March 21, 2019
Deposit remitted and contract sent to closing company: March 26, 2019
Submitted to Marriott for ROFR (15 day response deadline): March 27, 2019
ROFR waived by Marriott: April 4, 2019
Escrow packet received from closing company: April 16, 2019
Escrow packet returned to closing company by buyer: April 17, 2019
Seller's closing packet received by closing company: May 1, 2019
Approval from Hawaii tax office (Hawaii-specific requirement): May 17, 2019
Deed recorded: May 22, 2019
Added to Account by MVCI Owner Modifications: June 5, 2019

So, ours took about a week under three months after first contact. About 2.5 months once the offer was accepted. There were a couple steps here that are unique to Hawaii, like the tax office approval, that may not be applicable to California. Also, I think Newport Coast has a 15 day ROFR as well, not 30 days.

Once closing is finished how will I know Marriott has put it into their system?

We received an email from MVCI Owner Modifications.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Our last resale purchase was through Redweek full service for Marriott's Waiohai on Kauai. Here is our rough timeline:

Initial contact with Redweek broker: March 12, 2019
Offer made and accepted: March 17, 2019
Contract for Purchase Executed: March 21, 2019
Deposit remitted and contract sent to closing company: March 26, 2019
Submitted to Marriott for ROFR (15 day response deadline): March 27, 2019
ROFR waived by Marriott: April 4, 2019
Escrow packet received from closing company: April 16, 2019
Escrow packet returned to closing company by buyer: April 17, 2019
Seller's closing packet received by closing company: May 1, 2019
Approval from Hawaii tax office (Hawaii-specific requirement): May 17, 2019
Deed recorded: May 22, 2019
Added to Account by MVCI Owner Modifications: June 5, 2019

So, ours took about a week under three months after first contact. About 2.5 months once the offer was accepted. There were a couple steps here that are unique to Hawaii, like the tax office approval, that may not be applicable to California. Also, I think Newport Coast has a 15 day ROFR as well, not 30 days.

We received an email from MVCI Owner Modifications.

Great. This is exactly what I was hoping for to see the next steps and a basis to set expectations on time frame.

Will we pay just a deposit with the contract at the beginning? Or our entire purchase price?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Great. This is exactly what I was hoping for to see the next steps and a basis to set expectations on time frame.

Will we pay just a deposit with the contract at the beginning? Or our entire purchase price?

We had to remit a credit card form for a $1000 deposit when we executed the initial contract, which was done through Docusign. The balance was paid by official check when we sent in the signed and notarized closing docs.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
We had to remit a credit card form for a $1000 deposit when we executed the initial contract, which was done through Docusign. The balance was paid by official check when we sent in the signed and notarized closing docs.
Thank you!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The Agent informed us it was transferred. 2wks later , I received a letter w/ login info.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

Actually, in my case the variance has been on the broker side. I've bought four resale weeks from three vendors (two eBay, one here on TUG marketplace) and broker time has varied from about a week's worth of time all-in (J&J Timeshares on eBay, Denise - can't remember company name - here on TUG) to almost three months (Sean's Timeshares on eBay). In all cases the Marriott and Vistana processes took about a 2-3 weeks total for ROFR and ownership transfer. Now all of this was last year before the merging of back office staff, so it could be worse now.

I agree with Steven's assessment though, at least 8 weeks and plan for as many as 12.

Good luck on ROFR!:thumbup:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an offer accepted last week for a resale week at NCV. (Through Redweek) Yay! We are excited...

Now, I know that we have to go through ROFR etc but how long should we realistically expect until we have the week in our name? We've been told as little as 4 weeks and as high as 12 weeks for closing and then Marriott actually putting us into the system. What's more accurate?

We had our offer accepted by the seller but so far all our agent has had us do is give our basic info and choose a vesting option.

Can you share what your experience has been buying resale? What should we plan for, time wise? (And what steps should we expect from here on out?)
Our last HI purchase took 6 months to complete (7/20 to 1/12) and be acknowledged by MVC and 3 more weeks or so to be listed in our online account. Our previous week was longer than that but there were other issue on the company end that make it not a good comparison.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Actually, in my case the variance has been on the broker side. I've bought four resale weeks from three vendors (two eBay, one here on TUG marketplace) and broker time has varied from about a week's worth of time all-in (J&J Timeshares on eBay, Denise - can't remember company name - here on TUG) to almost three months (Sean's Timeshares on eBay). In all cases the Marriott and Vistana processes took about a 2-3 weeks total for ROFR and ownership transfer. Now all of this was last year before the merging of back office staff, so it could be worse now.

I agree with Steven's assessment though, at least 8 weeks and plan for as many as 12.

Good luck on ROFR!:thumbup:
Thank you. Fingers crossed it goes through and we can get the ball rolling!

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Our last HI purchase took 6 months to complete (7/20 to 1/12) and be acknowledged by MVC and 3 more weeks or so to be listed in our online account. Our previous week was longer than that but there were other issue on the company end that make it not a good comparison.
Holy Cow! 6 months! Is it because HI has extra steps to purchase?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy Cow! 6 months! Is it because HI has extra steps to purchase?
There are some delays for HI certainly but I want you to be aware there are risks of delay. GO 2017 was two months for MVC to get it changed internally, and 2018 GO week was about 2.5 months. 2018 Harbour Lake took right at 4 months to be in changed over internally for MVC. I'm not sure how long it took for those to be listed online.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
There are some delays for HI certainly but I want you to be aware there are risks of delay. GO 2017 was two months for MVC to get it changed internally, and 2018 GO week was about 2.5 months. 2018 Harbour Lake took right at 4 months to be in changed over internally for MVC. I'm not sure how long it took for those to be listed online.
Thank you! We'll just plan to be flexible and go with the flow. Hopefully it is closer to 10-12 weeks but whatever... as long as we get it in the end. Lol. Just hoping we have it in time to book a year out for next year.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
You can ask to have them book for 2021.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can ask to have them book for 2021.
Or if it's the only week in their account, they may give them access to the online so the OP could book for themselves.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Or if it's the only week in their account, they may give them access to the online so the OP could book for themselves.
This might be a good option too. I'm hoping things will just start moving so we can be done by summer. Lol

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may ask them if it seems to be taking a long time.

Marriott has to act on the ROFR within 30 days. Most brokers submit it electronically, and Marriott can act on it faster if they want.

How long has it been since it has been submitted to Marriott for the ROFR process?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Marriott has to act on the ROFR within 30 days. Most brokers submit it electronically, and Marriott can act on it faster if they want.

How long has it been since it has been submitted to Marriott for the ROFR process?

Just FYI, according to Syed Sarmad’s resale site, Newport Coast has a 15 day ROFR, not 30.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just FYI, according to Syed Sarmad’s resale site, Newport Coast has a 15 day ROFR, not 30.

Thank you for posting this!

CourtShorr should appreciate this piece of information as he/she is getting a bit antsy!

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this!

CourtShorr should appreciate this piece of information as he/she is getting a bit antsy!

I like to think of it as more of an "excited" than "antsy".

And I'm not even aware if the ROFR has been submitted. We were informed that the seller accepted our offer and the agent from Redweek took some basic information from us..... beyond that we've heard nothing.