• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owning at HHV vs a lesser property and the points system

T3PO

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking - Hawaii Home Location
Question is, what is the perk to buying in at the Grand Islander or Grand Waikikian vs let's say the Elara with similar point values on an every year or every other year plan? Will buying into the more desirable home location lock in a higher probability to book at your home resort? Or are points all that really matters? I ask because my family would definitely go to the HHV property the most, however if I could save some bucks on the MF's and buy in at Elara and still get priority to trade to HHV it would seem that we could pay less on an annual basis, have a similar amount of points and still primarily use the location we would want.

Reaction score
Home Week
Home Week reservations are consecutive night reservations at the Home Resort in the season and unit type owned, for the number of days owned, checking in on the resort’s standard or available check-in day. Members have a priority reservation period to reserve their Home Week during the Home Week Priority Reservation Window without competing for such reservation with other Members other than those owning the same suite configuration and season at the same resort. This window lasts approximately ninety (90) days beginning one (1) year (365 days) prior to the desired check-in date and ending nine (9) months (276 days) in advance of the desired check-in date.

After the Home Week Priority Reservation Window ends, Members will no longer have an exclusive window to book their Home Week, however, they may still make a Home Week reservation, subject to availability.

The Home Week Priority Reservation Window for Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacation Club and The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club lasts six (6) months (186 days) beginning one (1) year (365 days) prior to the start day of the desired check-in and ending six (6) months (186 days) in advance of the desired check-in date.

Home Week reservations may only be made using current-year ClubPoints associated with the specific ownership interest associated with that Home Week. When a Home Week reservation is confirmed, the entire annual allotment of ClubPoints assigned to the Member for that ownership interest is used. Home Week Priority Reservation Windows may be extended during the first year that a resort is available for occupancy through Club.

Members who own a designated fixed or event week shall automatically have their week reserved annually. In order to use a fixed or event week for other vacation options available, the Member may visit their Member Dashboard or contact Club to cancel the automatic reservation. If ClubPoints are borrowed against a fixed or event week, the Home Week reservation rights appurtenant thereto are relinquished and no automatic reservation will be made.

Home Resort Priority
Home Resort Priority reservations are made at a Member’s Home Resort in any unit type available subject to Member ClubPoint availability, minimum booking requirements and accommodation availability. During the Home Resort Priority Reservation Window, Members will only compete for reservations with other Owners at that resort. After the Home Resort Priority window ends, Members may still make Home Resort reservations subject to availability. Home Resort Priority reservations may only be made using ClubPoints associated with the specific ownership interest at that resort.

Home Resort Priority reservations are only available to Owners at the these select resorts:

• At West 57th Street by Hilton Club the Home Resort Priority window begins nine (9) months (276 days) prior to the check-out date and ends sixty (60) days in advance of the check-out date. One-night minimum booking required.
  • At The Residences by Hilton Club and The District by Hilton Club, the Home Resort Priority Window begins nine (9) months (276 days) prior to the check-out date and ends seventy-five (75) days in advance of the check-out date. One-night minimum booking required.
  • At The Central at 5th by Hilton Club and The Quinn Central Park by Hilton Club, the Home Resort Priority Window begins nine (9) months (276 days) prior to the check- out date and ends 105 days prior to the check-out date. One-night minimum booking required.
Home Resort Priority reservations may be offered at additional resorts in the future or during the first year that a resort is available for occupancy through Club. Home Resort Priority Windows may change from time to time.

By Hilton Club Priority
By Hilton Club Priority exchange is a reciprocal priority exchange window where Owners at select “by Hilton Club” branded properties may exchange into each other’s property during a fifteen (15) day reciprocal exchange window without competing with Members who do not own an interest at those resorts. By Hilton Club priority exchange reservations may only be made using ClubPoints. After the by Hilton Club Priority window ends, Members may still make a by Hilton Club priority reservation, subject to availability.

• A Hilton Club priority exchange window currently exists between The Residences by Hilton Club and The District by Hilton Club beginning seventy-four (74) days prior to check-out and ending sixty (60) days prior to check-out. One-night minimum booking required.
  • A Hilton Club priority exchange window currently exists between The Central at 5th by Hilton Club and The Quin Central Park by Hilton Club beginning 104 days prior to check-out and ending ninety (90) days prior to check-out. One-night minimum booking required.
Club Reservations
Club Reservations require a three (3) night minimum booking in any resort accommodations available within Club using available ClubPoints during the Club Reservation Window. Except for the resorts listed below, the Club Reservation Window commences nine (9) months (276 days) prior to the check-out date and ends thirty (30) days prior to check-in. After the Club Reservation Window ends, Members may still make a Club reservation up to one (1) day prior to check-in, subject to availability.

• The Club Reservation Window for Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club and The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club begins six (6) months (186 days) prior to the check-out date.
  • The Club Reservation Window for West 57th Street by Hilton Club, The Residences by Hilton Club and The District by Hilton Club begins fifty-nine (59) days prior to the check-out date and the three-night minimum booking does not apply.
  • The Club Reservation Window for The Central at 5th by Hilton Club and The Quin Central Park by Hilton Club begins eighty- nine (89) days prior to the check-out date, and the three-night minimum booking does not apply.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The advantage of owning at a particular resort is for Home Week booking. As pointed out this is very restrictive but does allow you to book usually 365 days to 276 days before checkin date in the exact unit which you own for 1 week starting on whatever the checkin date is for that resort (which is usually Saturday). Now, there are some exceptions of which the Grand Islander is one. For the Grand Islander, your Home Week booking window is 365 days to 180 days before the checkin date.

If you won't be using the Home Week booking window, then you will be using the club season booking window. Then Points are points. You can book >=3 days up to 30 days in whatever unit is available as long as you have points to book.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What time of year would you normally be traveling to Oahu? If you are flexible and book right when the club season opens, then you can book there. But, there is a high demand for Oahu. To me, these are the most difficult HGVC resorts to book during club season because the inventory will book exactly when the window opens.

T3PO

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking - Hawaii Home Location
The advantage of owning at a particular resort is for Home Week booking. As pointed out this is very restrictive but does allow you to book usually 365 days to 276 days before checkin date in the exact unit which you own for 1 week starting on whatever the checkin date is for that resort (which is usually Saturday). Now, there are some exceptions of which the Grand Islander is one. For the Grand Islander, your Home Week booking window is 365 days to 180 days before the checkin date.

If you won't be using the Home Week booking window, then you will be using the club season booking window. Then Points are points. You can book >=3 days up to 30 days in whatever unit is available as long as you have points to book.

Thanks, from reading through some articles people have shared it does seem like the community is split on buying into your main home unit you plan to use vs a home unit with lower MF's and then trading. Based on our situation of primarily wanting to go to HHV, I think it does make the most sense to buy there and then trade down to lesser properties in different locations as needed (Disneyworld, Vegas, etc). One perk that was mentioned is the all inclusives in the Caribbean that are partner brands to HGVC, has anyone by chance used points down there for a timeshare? If so, was the all inclusive portion included or did you need to pay for that in addition to using your points?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
One perk that was mentioned is the all inclusives in the Caribbean that are partner brands to HGVC, has anyone by chance used points down there for a timeshare? If so, was the all inclusive portion included or did you need to pay for that in addition to using your points?
Fiesta Americana - Los Cabos is a resort which comes to mind personally for me. It really is a beautiful resort. We have been there 4 out of the past 5 years. This past year it was changed to AI for HGVC members anyways (maybe all members). AI costs an additional $100/day/guest. We will be using VRBO this year in Cabo.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In 13 years as an owner, I never made a HW booking.
But the only time I went to.Hawaii was before then.
So, take that with a grain of salt.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, from reading through some articles people have shared it does seem like the community is split on buying into your main home unit you plan to use vs a home unit with lower MF's and then trading.

To be clear, much of the apparent "split" is fact- (rather than preference-) based. It depends upon whether one would use Home Week. if not, there is no reason I can see where it factually makes any sense to buy where you want to stay for use purposes (possible slightly higher resale potential aside).

Cheers.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, from reading through some articles people have shared it does seem like the community is split on buying into your main home unit you plan to use vs a home unit with lower MF's and then trading....
Just to clarify, there is no such thing as "trading" within HGVC. You can use your points to make a home week reservation of your unit for seven days Saturday to Saturday one year out. Or use the points to make a HGVC reservation anywhere-ish at 276 days out...including your 'home' resort. Or use the points in RCI or SFX or in a few other ways. You *can* trade the home week reservation you make via such exchanges as SFX...but it is relatively uncommon.
Based on our situation of primarily wanting to go to HHV, I think it does make the most sense to buy there and then trade down to lesser properties in different locations as needed (Disneyworld, Vegas, etc)...
It depends on when and how often you want to stay at HHV. If you know you want to stay at HHV (almost) every year for a week from Sat to Sat then buying there makes sense. Or you can buy an every other year (EOY) week if you want to go every other year.

This is what I did - I knew that I wanted to stay EOY in a 2BR at the Lagoon tower on President's Week for the foreseeable future so bought an EOY week. Then bought another one to house the grandparents after one year of paying 'cash' for them to stay with us...;-)

But otherwise in HGVC points is points and you should buy the cheapest balance of initial price and MFs that suits your needs.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As ljmiii said, use of the term "trade" is a misnomer, as your home-week is not yours to trade, rather it is retained by HGVC for it's use. Instead you use your points like $$ to book stays. Points are simply your currency.

BTW, to make your points go about 2x as far, only stay M-F (if you can). Weekdays stays use far less point than weekends.

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fiesta Americana - Los Cabos is a resort which comes to mind personally for me. It really is a beautiful resort. We have been there 4 out of the past 5 years. This past year it was changed to AI for HGVC members anyways (maybe all members). AI costs an additional $100/day/guest. We will be using VRBO this year in Cabo.
Do you know if is possible to pay AI fee with HGVC points? Or is an exclusive cash fee?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Do you know if is possible to pay AI fee with HGVC points? Or is an exclusive cash fee?

This following information is listed on the booking window about this resort:
Effective June 27, 2019 all-inclusive amenities are mandatory for arrivals beginning January 1, 2020. Members and guests will pay any related fees directly to the front desk.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
What time of year would you normally be traveling to Oahu? If you are flexible and book right when the club season opens, then you can book there. But, there is a high demand for Oahu. To me, these are the most difficult HGVC resorts to book during club season because the inventory will book exactly when the window opens.

But fairly easy to book when the window opens. I was able to secure a 1BR for 4th of July weekend at Grand Islander through a club booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
But fairly easy to book when the window opens. I was able to secure a 1BR for 4th of July weekend at Grand Islander through a club booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try booking mid August - Japanese Obon Week.

It has become easier in Waikiki now that Hokulani, GW and GI have added so much inventory there, with a new tower location on the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
In 13 years as an owner, I never made a HW booking.
But the only time I went to.Hawaii was before then.
So, take that with a grain of salt.
I have only used club season and unfortunately I own units in Hawaii with higher MF.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try booking mid August - Japanese Obon Week.
Those hoping to book in Waikiki also need to be aware of Japan's Marine Day (July 20 in 2020) - the start of the Japanese summer vacation season.