• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me about Branson......

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never even heard of this area prior to TSing. But, with so many TSs in the area, I assume it must be a go-to place for many.

I understand that there are many shows and from what I can see what is nice is they are fairly cost effective.

I have 2 basic questions to start:
1. Favorite resort in either II or RCI? Ideally I would be looking for a place with at least a 1BR and that I could walk to attractions/restaurants from the resort.
2. Family friendly? I have a 14 YO

Thanks!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Never even heard of this area prior to TSing. But, with so many TSs in the area, I assume it must be a go-to place for many.

I understand that there are many shows and from what I can see what is nice is they are fairly cost effective.

I have 2 basic questions to start:
1. Favorite resort in either II or RCI? Ideally I would be looking for a place with at least a 1BR and that I could walk to attractions/restaurants from the resort.
2. Family friendly? I have a 14 YO

Thanks!

I'm curious too. What is there to do there?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
My parents live about 5 hours from Branson, and my sister is in the St. Louis metro area. They go to Branson several times a year. My parents like the Wyndhams…I think there are 3, fairly close together. They also like Surrey and French Quarter. I was able to turn their mud weeks at Lake of the Ozarks into 4th of July and Labor Day weeks in Branson. If you watch, you can get some great deals, due to how many resorts are there.

My sister has season passes to Silver Dollar City, so they do that every trip for at least a little while. If we ever went, we'd be more inclined to stay somewhere more rustic that had access to Table Rock Lake. More our speed than shows. :) College of the Ozarks is also something to see.

When I was a kid, we would get a "cottage or cabin" on Lake Taneycomo at Rockaway Beach. BLECH BLECH BLECH. That's all we could afford, so that's what we did. Never again! :)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
For years when our kids were young we would go to Branson 2 or 3 times a year primarily for Silver Dollar City and its annual Crafts Fair. I don't know how they do it now but back then if you arrived like after 3 pm, the following day was free. We always stayed at the Best Western just West of the entrance to SDC. That way we could turn right out of the Motel and right again directly into the Park. This avoided all the traffic coming from the other direction...

Georg

Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
We were there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Even have talked about going back because there were some things we didn't get to do/see. We stayed at the Hyatt resort there and found it very comfortable, clean, and close enough to attractions. But would recommend a rental car.
  • The shows are more country music themed and done quite well. We really enjoyed the ones we went to see.
  • Silver Dollar City amusement park is something we missed last time. We've heard good things about it, though.
  • Table Rock lake is beautiful and there's a cruise or dinner cruise that you can enjoy. I think there's also a duck tour of the lake and area. I believe it's also a good place to fish if you like to do that.
  • College of the Ozarks is a culinary college and I highly recommend going there for a dinner. Really nice setting and the food is excellent.
  • There's also a restaurant there, don't remember the name, that has a great breakfast. Easy to find because there's a huge rooster statue in front of it.
  • The shopping area is quite good. Kept my wife occupied for a several hours.
  • At the foot of the main street there's a very nice fountain that's lit up during the evening. Not far from that fountain there's also a Bass Pro Shop. Not the biggest one you'll see but still worth the visit.
  • They also do up Christmas & New Years very nicely with street decorations. The shows transition to country/Christmas themes.
  • There's also some famous natural hot springs not too far away. This is one of the things we missed and talked about going back to see.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
The closest high end resort to "the strip" is the Marriott Lodge. However, the strip is a couple miles long so you'll need a car regardless of where you stay.
-several parks and lakes (Dogwood canyon is my favorite park)
-silver Dollar city theme park
-endless places to eat
-endless mini golf of impressive scale, including indoor glow in the dark
-lazer tag
-helicopter tours,
-half dozen plus wineries and breweries
-large outlet mall plus the Branson Landing
-several Go-kart tracks
-Branson Belle old school paddle wheel river boat with dinner and show
-boat rentals on the major lakes
-Large clay target shooting facility just north of town
-dozens of shows: magic, acrobats, musicians galore, comedy and more.
The list goes on and on. Oh, a decent zoo too.
And everything is reasonably priced and you can always find family packages etc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite resort in the area is Bluegreen's Wilderness Club at Big Cedar Lodge (RCI). It's a rustic style resort, with wonderful high end amenities (golf, pools, restaurants, spa, lazy river, beach, free kayaks/paddleboats, etc.) on Table Rock Lake. It's not in Branson proper, but close enough to drive to all the attractions and shows.

If outdoorsy woods and lake isn't your thing, I really like Marriott's Willow Ridge in Branson, just off The Strip (Hwy 76). The staff is super friendly and helpful, the suites are spacious and well appointed, the pools are great, the resort offers lots of activities, and it's right in town. Branson stretches out along Hwy 76 for a few miles, and traffic can be horrible. This is a nice central location, south of the strip.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Pigeon Forge, Branson and Wisconsin Dells are all very similar to me. Shopping, shows and a water feature of some kind. Very family friendly.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I arranged an extended family vacation to Branson a couple summers ago, around 20 folks using a tremendous amount of II deposits I had accumulated. We stayed at Stormy Point resort a few miles outside the strip, and it was AWESOME. All the units are actual individual Cape Cod themed cottages. We were staying in 2, 3, and 4 upscale and well furnished bedroom houses (the for bedroom was amazing). I have stayed at many Marriott resorts and other high end resorts in the past, and I will say that Stormy Point has been my favorite experience.

In the Branson area, there were a gajillion Vegas style show options, and we went to a few of them during our stay. Also rented a pontoon boat on Table Rock lake, and a couples days at Silver Dollar City amusement park, which is a very high quality theme park. It was a wonderful family vacation.

shellmo1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in the St Louis area and go once a year on an accommodation certificate at the end of the summer - late august, early sept. We love Paradise Point because we are boaters and they are on the lake and have a boat dock with slips to rent. We do not go to the shows, country music is not our thing. Actually many theaters there closed and have been reinvented. For families, lots of the tourist basics, zip lines, Titanic museum, bumper boats, mini golf, go carts etc. The Ozarks are beautiful and the scenery is lovely.

bobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read last week a new aquarium opened with some kids friendly attractions.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I arranged an extended family vacation to Branson a couple summers ago, around 20 folks using a tremendous amount of II deposits I had accumulated. We stayed at Stormy Point resort a few miles outside the strip, and it was AWESOME. All the units are actual individual Cape Cod themed cottages. We were staying in 2, 3, and 4 upscale and well furnished bedroom houses (the for bedroom was amazing). I have stayed at many Marriott resorts and other high end resorts in the past, and I will say that Stormy Point has been my favorite experience.

In the Branson area, there were a gajillion Vegas style show options, and we went to a few of them during our stay. Also rented a pontoon boat on Table Rock lake, and a couples days at Silver Dollar City amusement park, which is a very high quality theme park. It was a wonderful family vacation.
We're leaving for Stormy point in a few minutes. We own with Welk and I'm anxious to compare the two. Staying in a 3BR cottage.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're leaving for Stormy point in a few minutes. We own with Welk and I'm anxious to compare the two. Staying in a 3BR cottage.

Although I have not stayed at Welk Branson, I would imagine that you will not be disappointed with the Stormy Point cottages one bit. Note that they are two story, with the master bedroom on the ground floor and the other two bedrooms upstairs (the 4 bedroom is tri level, with a large den, game table, and extra bedroom in the basement.. a kids' oasis).

coolarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Westgate Branson at the Woods. on Tuesday night there is a bbq diner with many of the shows acts giving a sample of their productions. Cost around $12 per person, but the cheapest diner show in Branson. Also just finished an indoor water park. Set up on a ridge, you feel like you are in the woods, but just out the gate are the two major arteries to the attractions.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just rented a 2 bedroom at The Wilderness Club at Big Cedar. Always wanted to go to that resort and Branson. Not the easiest place to get to from NYC..

lhwhizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Even have talked about going back because there were some things we didn't get to do/see. We stayed at the Hyatt resort there and found it very comfortable, clean, and close enough to attractions. But would recommend a rental car.
  • The shows are more country music themed and done quite well. We really enjoyed the ones we went to see.
  • Silver Dollar City amusement park is something we missed last time. We've heard good things about it, though.
  • Table Rock lake is beautiful and there's a cruise or dinner cruise that you can enjoy. I think there's also a duck tour of the lake and area. I believe it's also a good place to fish if you like to do that.
  • College of the Ozarks is a culinary college and I highly recommend going there for a dinner. Really nice setting and the food is excellent.
  • There's also a restaurant there, don't remember the name, that has a great breakfast. Easy to find because there's a huge rooster statue in front of it.
  • The shopping area is quite good. Kept my wife occupied for a several hours.
  • At the foot of the main street there's a very nice fountain that's lit up during the evening. Not far from that fountain there's also a Bass Pro Shop. Not the biggest one you'll see but still worth the visit.
  • They also do up Christmas & New Years very nicely with street decorations. The shows transition to country/Christmas themes.
  • There's also some famous natural hot springs not too far away. This is one of the things we missed and talked about going back to see.
The Duck tour boats are no longer in Branson. They had a major incident about two years when they went out in the lake and got caught in a storm and the boat sank about fifteen people were killed.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
The Duck tour boats are no longer in Branson. They had a major incident about two years when they went out in the lake and got caught in a storm and the boat sank about fifteen people were killed.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I knew they had that one sink. Didn't know they had stopped operating there.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
We've been to Branson several times. I agree that you will probably want a car. Yes, Branson is VERY family friendly.

For Interval:
  1. We liked Stormy Point Village. It is a short drive out of the main part of town. We lucked out and traded a 1BR for a 4BR some years ago (before Interval introduced upgrade fees). Cute, New England nautical themed houses.
  2. Marriott - not as nice in our opinion as the other Marriott resorts we have visited. Rooms a bit small compared to most Marriott resorts. Ice cream in the evening is a cheap treat, however, and quite good (especially with a 14 yo in tow).
  3. Cabins at Green Mountain - our favorite. Woodsy, cute cabins. But I'm wondering if there would be many onsite activities for a 14 yo? We travel as 2 adults, no kids.
Also, for your 14 yo, check out the custard place, especially if the weather is warm.

Don't forget to look for discount tickets. I think we bought ours in the purple building (on the main road). I think that is Branson 2 for 1 Tickets, 1100 W Highway 76.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there a few years ago and stayed thru RCI at 2 different Wyndams. Both were very nice. We enjoyed 3-4 shows especially one that was called something like Sixt. It was several brothers that sang very well. I really enjoyed Andy's Frozen Custard and now look for them whenever we travel. The College of the Ozarks was outstanding. Beautiful buildings and we walked around and talked to several students working their during late May early June. Ate at a few good places including one about 20 miles away famous for their thrown rolls a d great fried chicken. We also did the Duck boat into the lake the year before they had an accident.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
If you like shows and entertainment, you'll enjoy your time there. That is Branson's strength.
If you like being outside and perhaps on the water, you will have options too but Branson is not all that outstanding in terms of terrain, surroundings, aesthetic beauty, etc.
The physical features outside are okay (rolling hills mostly), but nothing majestic or noteworthy.
BUT I will admit that pretty much anything east of the Rocky Mountains is going to pale in comparison in my eyes....

You can easily make a week of shows and do various outdoor activities to vary up your days, but you probably won't remember much about the outdoor things you see and do as much as if you were in the mountains IMO.

Branson is one of those places that is worth visiting once, and if you do return you are most likely to be doing so for the live shows and entertainment.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We were there a few years ago and stayed thru RCI at 2 different Wyndams. Both were very nice. We enjoyed 3-4 shows especially one that was called something like Sixt. It was several brothers that sang very well. I really enjoyed Andy's Frozen Custard and now look for them whenever we travel. The College of the Ozarks was outstanding. Beautiful buildings and we walked around and talked to several students working their during late May early June. Ate at a few good places including one about 20 miles away famous for their thrown rolls a d great fried chicken. We also did the Duck boat into the lake the year before they had an accident.

I believe you are referring to Lambert's (home of the hand tossed rolls) but there may be other places using this same serving method.......

Action footage --->

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I believe you are referring to Lambert's (home of the hand tossed rolls) but there may be other places using this same serving method.......

Action footage --->
Ah. Lamberts. Used to be the only one was in Sikeston. We'd drive from my home in Irondale, MO down to Lamberts for "Sunday dinner." A heck of a ride for a meal....but SO GOOD. (120 miles one way....) Fried okra, beans, corn, and those rolls. You didn't really need the main meal. The sides were enough. NOW I'M HUNGRY. And homesick. Yankee food is just not the same. :)