• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points - Questions from a novice

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm currently under contract to get a fairly large RCI Points contract (137K), and RCI is completely new to me. I really like II, but I am interested in exchanging into HGVC, DVC, Wyndham and some of the nice independents.

The goal would be to get one quality trade a year, and either bank or borrow points, so I could potentially get two quality trades every other year. I am NOT looking to stretch the point usage at all. For example, I would not be upset if I made a DVC exchange at 85,000 points and saw it come up later for 68,000 points for the exact dates.

I have seen some good sightings that would work well for our family (for example HGVC Big Island resorts in June) and many DVC exchanges that would work as well.

My questions are:
1) Is the inventory the same in RCI points as it is for the weeks inventory? I understand that the TPU vs Points requirement for the same week may not always play out in my favor, but I have decided at the MF that I will be paying, I will be happy with one quality exchange per year, and if I can get two every other year that's just icing on the cake.

2) I would assume that like II ongoing searches are the best way to ensure that you get what you want. I've found the OGS within Interval to be very reliable and I have gotten some really good trades using Hyatt points this way. Do you find that OGS is the most reliable way to get desirable trades (i.e. HGVC Big Island in summer)? Is there a limit to the number of OGS that I can set up?

3) I never seem to see sightings during summer months (June / July) at any of the HGVC affiliates in Southwest Florida. Has anyone had success getting them via RCI using an OGS? I'm interested in Marco Island / Sanibel. I actually was able to get a really great week at Surf Club this year using II (I ended up throwing it back), and had never seen that on the sightings...so I'm holding out hope that maybe I'd be able to get something.

Thanks!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I'm currently under contract to get a fairly large RCI Points contract (137K), and RCI is completely new to me. I really like II, but I am interested in exchanging into HGVC, DVC, Wyndham and some of the nice independents.

The goal would be to get one quality trade a year, and either bank or borrow points, so I could potentially get two quality trades every other year. I am NOT looking to stretch the point usage at all. For example, I would not be upset if I made a DVC exchange at 85,000 points and saw it come up later for 68,000 points for the exact dates.

I have seen some good sightings that would work well for our family (for example HGVC Big Island resorts in June) and many DVC exchanges that would work as well.

My questions are:
1) Is the inventory the same in RCI points as it is for the weeks inventory? I understand that the TPU vs Points requirement for the same week may not always play out in my favor, but I have decided at the MF that I will be paying, I will be happy with one quality exchange per year, and if I can get two every other year that's just icing on the cake.

2) I would assume that like II ongoing searches are the best way to ensure that you get what you want. I've found the OGS within Interval to be very reliable and I have gotten some really good trades using Hyatt points this way. Do you find that OGS is the most reliable way to get desirable trades (i.e. HGVC Big Island in summer)? Is there a limit to the number of OGS that I can set up?

3) I never seem to see sightings during summer months (June / July) at any of the HGVC affiliates in Southwest Florida. Has anyone had success getting them via RCI using an OGS? I'm interested in Marco Island / Sanibel. I actually was able to get a really great week at Surf Club this year using II (I ended up throwing it back), and had never seen that on the sightings...so I'm holding out hope that maybe I'd be able to get something.

Thanks!
Post this is all other timeshare systems...... you may get an answer.