• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI and Wyndham Hotels

whistle

Reaction score
I went to a recent sales discussion and we didn't buy at their prices, which I am glad for after seeing what I can buy for on resale.

They talked about two things that I was hoping to get some clarification on.
1)They said I could do a week at any RCI resort for a flat 55,000 points. I am curious if that is accurate and how much luck people have had doing using RCI with getting the resorts they wanted. How far out can you book RCI? Can you book a single day or do you have to do a week?

2)They kept talking about how they had properties all over the world and mentioned their hotel chains, like Best Western, etc. Can you use your points to book hotel stays at these hotels? If so, how does that work?

Thanks in advance.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
IMO, only exchanging for a full week is worth the money. To get an RCI points account, you have to buy retail. RCI weeks is free if you buy resale. I exchanged into Disney's Saratoga Springs for 105,000 points + $239 exchange fee + $190 Disney fee. It was about $600 cheaper for me to do it that way instead of being a resale DVC owner. I plan on doing the same with Hilton. RCI is really only useful to stay at some of the Hilton, Holiday Inn, Bluegreen or WorldMark locations during the off season that otherwise you wouldn't have access to. If you want to go somewhere like Myrtle Beach in the summer time, you're not going to find a decent exchange on RCI. You have to book that with Wyndham 7-10 months out.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
IMO, only exchanging for a full week is worth the money. To get an RCI points account, you have to buy retail. RCI weeks is free if you buy resale. I exchanged into Disney's Saratoga Springs for 105,000 points + $239 exchange fee + $190 Disney fee. It was about $600 cheaper for me to do it that way instead of being a resale DVC owner. I plan on doing the same with Hilton. RCI is really only useful to stay at some of the Hilton, Holiday Inn, Bluegreen or WorldMark locations during the off season that otherwise you wouldn't have access to. If you want to go somewhere like Myrtle Beach in the summer time, you're not going to find a decent exchange on RCI. You have to book that with Wyndham 7-10 months out.
You can get an RCI point account resale.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I went to a recent sales discussion and we didn't buy at their prices, which I am glad for after seeing what I can buy for on resale.

1)They said I could do a week at any RCI resort for a flat 55,000 points. I am curious if that is accurate and how much luck people have had doing using RCI with getting the resorts they wanted. How far out can you book RCI? Can you book a single day or do you have to do a week?

2)They kept talking about how they had properties all over the world and mentioned their hotel chains, like Best Western, etc. Can you use your points to book hotel stays at these hotels? If so, how does that work?

Thanks in advance.
55,000 points for a week would be only for off season. Consider looking at a good value resale weeks unit that trades with II. Typically better quality resorts and locations.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are at least gold you have the quiet season deposit upgrade. I use in oven. I call Wyndham tell them I want the quiet season deposit upgrade and when I deposia studio,35,000 points Wyndham ads 27,000 points so I end up with 63,000 points. The way Wyndham is set upno matter what season you are going to spend the same number of points no matter what season. So I do it twice 70,000 points and I can book a one bedroom in prime. And I'm going to cape cod and Quebec this year and booked spring break at the Fountains for my daughter.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
You can get an RCI point account resale.

Not by Wyndham resale. You would have to to buy resale within another system. We only get a weeks account.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Point two yes reward points for one night is 7,000 points. But I would not want to stay in a Wyndham 7,000 point hotel with the exception of a couple. That's 49,000 rewards points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Not by Wyndham resale. You would have to to buy resale within another system. We only get a weeks account.
Ahh I misunderstood....

whistle

Reaction score
Point two yes reward points for one night is 7,000 points. But I would not want to stay in a Wyndham 7,000 point hotel with the exception of a couple. That's 49,000 rewards points.

Ok that is good to know it is an option. My kids do travel sports, so it would only be a night here and there and it is nice to have the option of using the points instead of spending the money. Especially since I would have already spent the money anyway for the maintenance fees.

So it doesn't sound like I should really count on using RCI unless it is in the offseason from what everyone is stating here.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok that is good to know it is an option. My kids do travel sports, so it would only be a night here and there and it is nice to have the option of using the points instead of spending the money. Especially since I would have already spent the money anyway for the maintenance fees.

So it doesn't sound like I should really count on using RCI unless it is in the offseason from what everyone is stating here.
I booked west Yellowstone prime. The trick is to start an on going search as far out as possible.

whistle

Reaction score
So am I able to book RCI if I buy resale. There appears to be conflicting information above.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Weeks, yes. Points no.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
So am I able to book RCI if I buy resale. There appears to be conflicting information above.
First the only way to book less than a week is buy Wyndham from Wyndham or buy an RCI affiliated resort that is an RCI POINTS account. Last, buy a Wyndham resort week that is not a club Wyndham contract. Then you have to buy into the RCI points exchange.

whistle

Reaction score
I was reading on this website (https://vacationmanagementservices....ow-after-purchasing-wyndham-timeshare-points/) about guest confirmations and housing credits.

It says you pay $99 for a guest confirmation. How does that work? If you book one night at one resort and another night at another resort is that $99 for each night since it is two different resorts? And what about if I do the Wyndam hotel thing of 7,000 points. Is there a guest confirmation for that as well?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading on this website (https://vacationmanagementservices....ow-after-purchasing-wyndham-timeshare-points/) about guest confirmations and housing credits.

It says you pay $99 for a guest confirmation. How does that work? If you book one night at one resort and another night at another resort is that $99 for each night since it is two different resorts? And what about if I do the Wyndam hotel thing of 7,000 points. Is there a guest confirmation for that as well?
Every reservation requires a fee. There are two fees. One a weekly fee of $249 and if you will not be at the resort a guests fee. Nightly stays the fee is based on the schedule " nightly stays" you will find in the directory on per night stay. If it is a guess staying you still pay the guest fee as well. WYNDHAM points bought from Wyndham are the only points one can use for nightly stays. So if you buy resale you only have the weeks inventory to book for a week. I would not count on using RCI for your events. RCI is a backup to your Wyndham points and a less than a 50-50 chance it will work for you. You would have to have where and when you want to go a year in advance and then you may have a chance to pick up one of two events. Don't ever buy anything if it means you have to rely on RCI. THERE ARE THREE TIMES AS MANY PEOPLE searching for the same dates as you through RCI than trying to book through WYNDHAM. I suggest you go on the portal and see how RCI works.

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
Just to clarify on the Wyndham points (resorts) to Wyndham Rewards (hotels) conversion...it is not the most advantageous use of your points...

While it is true that a budget Wyndham hotel costs 7,500 Wyndham Rewards points per night, most of the "average" hotels are 15,000 and the swankier ones (think Wyndham Grand) are 30,000 per night. Because the conversion rate is 40%, you would need to convert 37,500 Wyndham points in order to get 15,000 Wyndham Rewards points.

If you do the math, if your MF are $6/1,000 points, then your "average" Wyndham hotel is costing you $225/night...plus whatever Wyndham charges just to convert the points from one program to the other (I don't know if there is a fee, but I would not be surprised if there is one...there always is...).

You can do it...they are your points, but it ain't worth it in my mind...kinda like using your airline points to rent cars or buy cruises, etc.

Best advice I can offer is "buy where you want to go...and use your points/week there". All the "pluses" that are offered is just gravy. My family bought at Smugglers Notch Resort over thirty (30) years ago. We have been there so often, I can't even count. We have gotten our money's worth by going there. Period.

If you buy just for the "gravy", you may end up being the turkey...

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you already own the reward points there is no guest fee. Stay away from the 7500 point hotels unless they out away from the city and check the ratings they are on the info page when you look up where you want to stay.