• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WiFi free only for TravelShare members??!!

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with Worldark Kihei. They said that only Travelshare members get free wifi there. Don't we all pay the same maintenance fees, and don't the maintenance fees cover the wifi costs? How can some members get free items while others don't if all members pay the same maintenance fees? I will also look for posts about this in the Worldmark forum.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We've been to several Worldmark locations over the past many years which charged for their WiFi unless you were TravelShare. I'm less surprised that Kihei does similarly than this being your first encounter. The Wyndham managed locations, on the other hand, gladly and freely show me the WiFi password printed on a sticker on my welcome packet.

No, I do not believe the WiFi is paid by our dues. It is an extra resort service ... in an age where every Motel6 offers free WiFi. Go figure. We carry our own MiFi devices and they work great for US destinations!

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wifi is "free" but not really free for TravelShare members. That's one of the few "free" perks they get from TravelShare and they more than pay for that with their TravelShare dues.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I just spoke with Worldark Kihei. They said that only Travelshare members get free wifi there. Don't we all pay the same maintenance fees, and don't the maintenance fees cover the wifi costs? How can some members get free items while others don't if all members pay the same maintenance fees? I will also look for posts about this in the Worldmark forum.

It has been this way for years. It is not new.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
As noted TS dues are above and beyond normal dues.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wifi is "free" but not really free for TravelShare members. That's one of the few "free" perks they get from TravelShare and they more than pay for that with their TravelShare dues.
Ahhh. Got it! Thank you.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't we all pay the same maintenance fees, and don't the maintenance fees cover the wifi costs?
No, and No.

Not to pile on, but Travelshare owners pay $0.02/credit more than non-TravelShare owners for maintenance fees. $200/10,000 credits pays for "free" internet and other "free" Travelshare benefits.

At multiple owner updates, the emphasis has been on "switching on TravelShare" to my resale credits.

I pay the $50/year ResortNet fee and consider it a part of my annual maintenance fees.

I could "switch on" a 6,000 credit TravelShare purchase for $15,000 plus the additional $120 TravelShare fees per year and receive free internet (the only TravelShare benefit that has any value for me), or I can pay $50/year as a resale owner for ResortNet access.

"Off to gifting!!"

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong with this picture even Westgate do not charge for Wifi.LOL.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong with this picture even Westgate do not charge for Wifi.LOL.
WorldMark has a 5% cap on annual maintenance fee increases. Westgate does not. Compare Westgate maintenance fees to WorldMark maintenance fees. The "free" internet is just part of the higher maintenance fee charges at Westgate (or other timeshares).

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
WorldMark has a 5% cap on annual maintenance fee increases. Westgate does not. Compare Westgate maintenance fees to WorldMark maintenance fees. The "free" internet is just part of the higher maintenance fee charges at Westgate (or other timeshares).

This is often misunderstood, so I do want to comment on it.

There is no hard "5% cap" on annual maintenance fee increases under our governing documents as some might read into the post above. The governing documents actually state the cap on our annual maintenance fees is the "GREATER of the increase in the CPI or 5%". So if the CPI increases above 5%, then dues can increase up to that %, otherwise it is a 5% cap. In addition, the BoD still has the authority to levy a special assessment of up to 5% without a vote of the owners.

Not trying to be alarmist, but given the less than optimal status of our reserve funding combined with aging physical plant, and the negative impact of the growth in the average account size, it is entirely possible the future holds both a multi-year special assessment AND periods where inflation exceeds 5%.

Because there is no such thing as "free wifi". So making wifi "free" at our resorts, would have the net impact of ending a revenue stream to the income side of the equation, and shifting the entirety of the wifi cost into our operating budget. That would be a significant impact to our budget IMHO, though others might disagree.

IsaiahB

Reaction score
This is often misunderstood, so I do want to comment on it.

There is no hard "5% cap" on annual maintenance fee increases under our governing documents as some might read into the post above. The governing documents actually state the cap on our annual maintenance fees is the "GREATER of the increase in the CPI or 5%". So if the CPI increases above 5%, then dues can increase up to that %, otherwise it is a 5% cap. In addition, the BoD still has the authority to levy a special assessment of up to 5% without a vote of the owners.

Not trying to be alarmist, but given the less than optimal status of our reserve funding combined with aging physical plant, and the negative impact of the growth in the average account size, it is entirely possible the future holds both a multi-year special assessment AND periods where inflation exceeds 5%.

Because there is no such thing as "free wifi". So making wifi "free" at our resorts, would have the net impact of ending a revenue stream to the income side of the equation, and shifting the entirety of the wifi cost into our operating budget. That would be a significant impact to our budget IMHO, though others might disagree.

In case it isn't crystal clear - yes, WIFI is part of the Club budget.
As alluded to above, the club receives revenue from both the TravelShare program and from paying Owners.
The revenue from this program covers the cost of the Deep Blue Communications service, hardware upgrades, and broadband/fiber circuits. Most years it runs a low surplus, effectively subsidizing other expenses of the Club.

There have been some thoughts about changing how this works, one of the ideas is a non-owner resort fee.

I'll echo Eric's comments regarding the state of our reserve fund - it's serious.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have not heard of ResortNet before. Please tell me about it!

They are the company providing Wifi services at (some/all?) WorldMark resorts. When you log into the Wifi services, it's a ResortNet site.

Dave

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
The Wyndham managed locations, on the other hand, gladly and freely show me the WiFi password printed on a sticker on my welcome packet.
Just an update: A recent stay at Dolphin's Cove, booked via WM, reversed what I'd seen before. Our welcome packet did NOT include a WiFi password but, instead, directed me to ResortNet. :(

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are the company providing Wifi services at (some/all?) WorldMark resorts. When you log into the Wifi services, it's a ResortNet site.

Dave
Thanks! A previous poster (CO Skier) mentioned paying a $50/year ResortNet fee. So, is it possible to buy a subscription for a full year? I think I've always paid a fee for each stay.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks! A previous poster (CO Skier) mentioned paying a $50/year ResortNet fee. So, is it possible to buy a subscription for a full year? I think I've always paid a fee for each stay.

I don’t know. But I’m going to be at the WM in Vancouver this weekend, so I’ll check.

Dave

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been almost a year since my last ResortNet renewal, but as I recall the 2-device rates were $4.95 per day or $14.95? ($15.95?) for 10 consecutive days or $49.95 for 365 consecutive days. There are also higher rates for more devices logged-in at one time.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! So, after paying for the 365 days, how does one log in during a second (or third, or fourth) stay? Do you put in your WM owner number? I'm not sure how to log in when one has already paid, but isn't in Travelshare.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Judy, I know this is ancient info, but I just Googled "ResortNet2 subscription" and found this snippet on the Trendwest website:

"Owners may now purchase a ResortNet Annual Pass which offers an entire year of High Speed Internet access at all participating WorldMark resorts* for just $49.95. Access for shorter stays may be purchased in increments of one day for $4.95 or 10 days for $15.95.

When enrolling for service at participating resorts, you may select an annual, 10 day or 1 day pass. After registering for the annual pass, simply sign in as a returning user when visiting participating WorldMark resorts."

So that may be the answer? There was an additional line of resorts that don't offer ResortNet2 connections, but I don't know how current it is, so didn't copy it.

@CO skier: Wondering if there is a device limit on your annual pass? We travel with two smartphones and two computers, and sometimes a tablet and iPad - wondering if an annual pass is only for two devices, which I think is the $4.95 rate? I would't use it enough to justify three annual subscriptions.

Dave

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Thanks for the info! So, after paying for the 365 days, how does one log in during a second (or third, or fourth) stay? Do you put in your WM owner number? I'm not sure how to log in when one has already paid, but isn't in Travelshare.

The login asks “New User” or “Existing User”. Select “Existing User”. Then enter the login name you created when you paid. Hit submit and you are shortly on line

We pay approx $100 for a year with 5 devices.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m at WM Vancouver -The Canadian this weekend. (Very nice unit, if small.) The ResortNet2 fee for a year for five devices is $99.95. 5 for 1 day is $7.95. Two for one day is $4.95.

We did the math and opted for the 1day fee. If we knew we’d be staying at WM enough this year to justify it, we’d have gone for the year account.

Dave

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The login asks “New User” or “Existing User”. Select “Existing User”. Then enter the login name you created when you paid. Hit submit and you are shortly on line

We pay approx $100 for a year with 5 devices.
Great info! Thanks!

lotus5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am WM TravelShare which includes wi-fi for 2 devices. We typically travel with 5 devices and toggle on the hotspot feature on my HP laptop which will service up to 8 devices on wi-fi. Most iOS, Android, PC devices have the "personal hotspot" feature. No need to pay extra for more than 2 devices.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am WM TravelShare which includes wi-fi for 2 devices. We typically travel with 5 devices and toggle on the hotspot feature on my HP laptop which will service up to 8 devices on wi-fi. Most iOS, Android, PC devices have the "personal hotspot" feature. No need to pay extra for more than 2 devices.

How does sharing the hotspot affect performance? Is there enough bandwidth to go around?

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Another resortnet user here. It's cheap and doesn't know the difference between me and a renter, lol.

Bill