• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why did I wait so long to visit Westin Kaanapali?

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
We've owned with Starwood/Vistana for 10+ years, but we never visited WKORV or WKORN until now (just got here Saturday at WKORN). So nice. We didn't make a reservation until about 6 months ago, so I didn't have expectation for a water view (which was good, 'cause we don't). I requested bld 5 or 6, to get a newly redone room. We got 3rd floor blg 6, overlooking the interior courtyard gardens/koi pond. Still very pretty. Refreshed units are nicely done.

So now I kinda have the bug. Resale prices for oceanfront (all I'm interested in) at North seems to be a bit higher than South (which seems a bit odd to me, because it appears there are quite a few more OF at North than at South, but maybe that's because North is newer and therefore less owners ready to sell at this point)

For those of you familiar with WKORV specifically:
1. Are the only ocean front units #30 and #31 (in bld 2 and 3)? Or are 28 and 29 on the side considered OF as well?
2. They don't consider bld 4, #03 05 07 09 oceanfront, do they (even though they technically have a straight-on view, albeit very far away, to the ocean across Kahekili park)? I now know first-hand why that building is considered the dreaded parking lot view :), but I'm curious if the few units facing the park are considered ocean front (or ocean view maybe....)
3. Is there a difference (and if yes, what is it, please) between ocean front Deluxe vs Premium? I've seen reference to both, but I can't determine what the difference is.

I acutally like Nanea a lot more than I expected I would, but the voluntary designation is a non-starter for me.

Seems like I saw a map/thread someone posted a while ago of the view types at WKORV and WKORN, but I wasn't really paying attention back then, and dang if I can't find it now (sorry). Anyone know where to find the blg view map?

Mahalo!
David

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The OF Premium (center) units at South are all in buildings 2 and 3 and all end in 30/31 (ie 2x30, 3x31, etc.). All OF Deluxe (corner) units are also in buildings 2 and 3; they all end in either 27/29 or 26/28. There are six premium and twelve deluxe units in each building; all are two bedroom. Note that the OF Deluxe studios (ending in 26 and 27) are on the sides of the buildings and do not front directly on the ocean.

The OF Deluxe units are substantially larger and, being on the building corners, have side windows in the main living space and therefore much better natural light. Their disadvantages are that their studios' lanais have side views of the ocean and that their MF's are 38% higher (based on square footage).

OF units at the South property are superior to those on the North property in that they are all close to the water and there are no bad units (such as at North on the first floor of building 5 behind Pailolo and those further from the ocean). Typical prices are in the mid to high $20k's for OF at North, low to mid-$30k's for OF Deluxe at South, and high $30k's for OF Premium at South.

Last edited:

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Thanks Robert. So to summarize: Premium OF units at South are a little smaller (and therefore lower mf), and face straight on. Deluxe OF units at South are the corner units, larger size/mf fees, and wrap around the building (so the studio portion faces the side)?

Are they all (both the Premium and Deluxe) 2 bedroom lockoffs, or, are there some that are dedicated 2 bedroom (i.e. no lockoff)?

Thanks,
David

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
All of the OF units at South (and North) are two bedroom lockoffs. Yes, the Deluxe units are larger than the Premium units; both are larger than the two bedroom units at North (although only slightly, in the case of Premium units).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thanks Robert. So to summarize: Premium OF units at South are a little smaller (and therefore lower mf), and face straight on. Deluxe OF units at South are the corner units, larger size/mf fees, and wrap around the building (so the studio portion faces the side)?

Are they all (both the Premium and Deluxe) 2 bedroom lockoffs, or, are there some that are dedicated 2 bedroom (i.e. no lockoff)?

Thanks,
David
When do you usually go? I’ve only booked twice, once in early April and once in early May and both times at 8 months out I was able to get one bedroom units oceanfront. So it can happen, if you go off peak and book at the 8 month mark.
I just checked. Nothing today but at midnight tonight 8 months out october 12th check in there is oceanfront, they would go quickly. So again, off peak it can happen!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
We've owned (IV) at WKORVN since it opened and have stayed in all buildings and I don't think I'd pay the premium being asked for the OF. We have been 'upgraded' to OF on a number of occasions and as mentioned there are some spectacular units (especially in building 8) and some not so (building 5 over the bar). I think the ones at the South are worth the premium if you can afford them and the associated MFs. Naturally, with hindsight I would have never bought our IV from the developer and today would be able to put that money towards buying at least 2 OF resale :(

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We've owned (IV) at WKORVN since it opened and have stayed in all buildings and I don't think I'd pay the premium being asked for the OF. We have been 'upgraded' to OF on a number of occasions and as mentioned there are some spectacular units (especially in building 8) and some not so (building 5 over the bar). I think the ones at the South are worth the premium if you can afford them and the associated MFs. Naturally, with hindsight I would have never bought our IV from the developer and today would be able to put that money towards buying at least 2 OF resale :(

And then there is us. We purchased WKORVN OF prior to construction completion. We purchased another week of WKORVN OF a few years later and have never regretted having OF, and paying more, instead of other views. Nothing better than having a glass of wine on the lanai directly facing the ocean.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
And then there is us. We purchased WKORVN OF prior to construction completion. We purchased another week of WKORVN OF a few years later and have never regretted having OF, and paying more, instead of other views. Nothing better than having a glass of wine on the lanai directly facing the ocean.

+1 This week we watched whales from our OF lanai over morning coffee.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry I should have mentioned. If money is no object and making sure others know money is no object then OF is obviously the way to go.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Nothing better than having a glass of wine on the lanai directly facing the ocean.
Well that all depends......what kind of wine and is there a cheese board ?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Well that all depends......what kind of wine and is there a cheese board ?

Either Napa Valley red or Italian red. There is a cheese board if you bring it!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Either Napa Valley red or Italian red. There is a cheese board if you bring it!
as an Italian I vote a Napa Red! There is always a cheese board or in this case plate. I usually pack cheese in a cooler ha.
25812E5F-AF92-41C1-84B4-873A2131FEC6.jpeg

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry I should have mentioned. If money is no object and making sure others know money is no object then OF is obviously the way to go.
IMO The small resale premium of OF over OV is money well spent. I feel sorry for those that paid developer prices for same unit. We paid developer for an HGVC unit so I could say we paid our TS dues. You can fool me once...

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I'm not sure people purchase OF in order to make sure others know money is no object!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure people purchase OF in order to make sure others know money is no object!
Had you not quoted my opinion and started your reply with "And then there is us" then I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Think about it!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Had you not quoted my opinion and started your reply with "And then there is us" then I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Think about it!

I think you must be looking for a conflict.

There is quite a bit of difference in saying "money is no object" and indicating the difference in the price for OF vs the other views is worth it.

The "and then there is us" is simply a way of differentiating me from you when you said "I don't think I'd pay the premium being asked for the OF". I paid the premium but that in no way means money is no object.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you must be looking for a conflict.

There is quite a bit of difference in saying "money is no object" and indicating the difference in the price for OF vs the other views is worth it.

The "and then there is us" is simply a way of differentiating me from you when you said "I don't think I'd pay the premium being asked for the OF". I paid the premium but that in no way means money is no object.
Perception is a strange thing as I thought it to be the other way round in the way you framed your original reply. Never mind, if you are ever at WKORVN when we are, I don't drink wine but I'll join you in a cheese board, although I must warn you where I come from we pair it with fruit cake.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Perception is a strange thing as I thought it to be the other way round in the way you framed your original reply. Never mind, if you are ever at WKORVN when we are, although I don't drink wine, I'll join you in a cheese board, although I must warn you where I come from we pair it with fruit cake.

I like fruit cake! (please fruit cake haters do not disparage)

WahooWah

Reaction score
An IV owner in WKORVN is not going to get an upgrade to OF in February and March. It's just not going to happen.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Here is a view I got during New Year's week at WKORVN on an island view owner's reservation. It was a unit classified as oceanfront. One of the "worst" oceanfront units, but still:
IMG_20141231_160758.jpg

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
With the upgrade in star options for an Oceanfront (176,xxx vs 148xxx) last year we stayed 21 days consecutively in the same 1 bedroom IV via star options (also used our SVV 2bedroom 81,000 staroptions) rather than changing room every 7 days.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
With the upgrade in star options for an Oceanfront (176,xxx vs 148xxx) last year we stayed 21 days consecutively in the same 1 bedroom IV via star options (also used our SVV 2bedroom 81,000 staroptions) rather than changing room every 7 days.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Here is a view I got during New Year's week at WKORVN on an island view owner's reservation. It was a unit classified as oceanfront. One of the "worst" oceanfront units, but still:
View attachment 17344

What floor/room is that? I assume 5105 or 5205?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An IV owner in WKORVN is not going to get an upgrade to OF in February and March. It's just not going to happen.
I wasn't suggesting buy IV and maybe you'll get upgraded, I was just commenting that we had been in the past. In fact it's maybe 10 years since we were upgraded, probably back in the days before OF were sold out.