• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is 6.5k for 30000 points and about $420 year fees a reasonable value for the money?

If you were me, would you keep this deal?

• Yes, Keep it. This is a good deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Cancel it. This is a bad deal.

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

uhsarp1

Reaction score
We spent about 6.5k (5.7 plus closing) total for Fox river, IL Holiday inn resort (Orange Lake Resort (IHG) with an annual fee of $420 for maintenance and IHG membership costs. This includes RCI access and about 30000 points per year that can be used on RCI and on IHG resorts.

The only thing I like is the RCI access (Last call vacation). But I read somewhere online that I can buy an RCI account without owning a timeshare. Is there an advantage to doing a timeshare as opposed to buying an RCI account?

Is the timeshare worth the money?

I'm seriously considering canceling this during the cool off period. Thank you.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We spent about 6.5k (5.7 plus closing) total for Fox river, IL Holiday inn resort (Orange Lake Resort (IHG) with an annual fee of $420 for maintenance and IHG membership costs. This includes RCI access and about 30000 points per year that can be used on RCI and on IHG resorts.

The only thing I like is the RCI access (Last call vacation). But I read somewhere online that I can buy an RCI account without owning a timeshare. Is there an advantage to doing a timeshare as opposed to buying an RCI account?

Welcome to TUG. Consider this your lucky day that you found us in time. Rescind. You do not have enough points to go anywhere in season and the price is too high. You should only buy a timeshare you would want to use, not for last call vacations, RCI last call vacations are usually off season, the left overs. You do need a timeshare to join RCI.

uhsarp1

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. Consider this your lucky day that you found us in time. Rescind. You do not have enough points to go anywhere in season and the price is too high. You should only buy a timeshare you would want to use, not for last call vacations, RCI last call vacations are usually off season, the left overs. You do need a timeshare to join RCI.
Thank you so much for your advice! This has been stressing us out.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you so much for your advice! This has been stressing us out.
Make sure anyone who signed the contract, signs the rescind letter. Mail it certified, return receipt Usps for proof.

Owning a timeshare can be a wonderful experience. It has been for me. You can learn lots here on tug and decide if it is for you. You might consider becoming an official member of tug just for $15 to show support and help other like this site helped you.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A

Also confirm you will rescind. We always like to know for sure.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Agreed. 30,000 points is not nearly enough points in the HICV system. Plus if you ever tried to sell, that resort’s points would revert back to weeks. Rescind.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Rescind is the first order. Next is to research, research and research some more to determine if a timeshare is right for you. You could spend hours on TUG just reading the threads.

As was pointed out, you cannot buy an RCI account. You will need to buy a timeshare that is affiliated with RCI. To make it more complicated, some timeshares will have RCI points and others will have TPUs. They are different currencies and will have different access to resorts in RCI.

You will find that many timeshares are FREE. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that there is a line of people waiting to take these timeshares just because they are given away. Even free ones can be very difficult to dispose of if you decide you no longer want it. Your research may lead you to a timeshare that is right for you and that can lead to many great vacations.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Attachments

• 321E2AA9-43B5-4089-9A69-3DF4E7A3853F.png
    321E2AA9-43B5-4089-9A69-3DF4E7A3853F.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 66
  • C13072E3-7FDC-48E0-9D27-F3F6F17B273F.png
    C13072E3-7FDC-48E0-9D27-F3F6F17B273F.png
    182 KB · Views: 64

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Agreed. 30,000 points is not nearly enough points in the HICV system. Plus if you ever tried to sell, that resort’s points would revert back to weeks. Rescind.

Do points you buy from the resort revert back?
If so. That doesn’t seem right

I have no idea but thought it was weeks that had converted to the point system
30,000 points is not a full weeks worth so I’m wondering if the points might be from a point only resort??

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
RCI membership is about $130/yr, which you don’t need a TS to get.

It may have changed but my understanding is that to join RCI you must have an RCI affiliated timeshare to begin with. To end up with an RCI membership without a timeshare one would need to sell their timeshare but could keep paying the RCI membership fee. Has this changed?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It may have changed but my understanding is that to join RCI you must have an RCI affiliated timeshare to begin with. To end up with an RCI membership without a timeshare one would need to sell their timeshare but could keep paying the RCI membership fee. Has this changed?
I didn’t think about that. That’s a good point. I was thinking about my situation, whereas I would presumably sell all my TS and still have RCI access.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Supposedly anyone can have a RCI membership, which gives access to Extra Vacations and Last Calls.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Be patient and pick up a points unit at Smoky Mountain, South Beach - Myrtle Beach, or Lake Geneva. I was able to pick up two contracts totaling 257,000 points for $1 each. Just be patient and use the TUG Marketplace and eBay. Be very careful about the unit you don't want Land Trust Points.

uhsarp1

Reaction score
Thank you so much. You guys are amazing for helping folks like me with sound advise. I sent out a rescind letter through certified mail today.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you so much. You guys are amazing for helping folks like me with sound advise. I sent out a rescind letter through certified mail today.
If both you and your SO signed the TS contract, make sure you both sign the rescission letter having both your names, signatures, and the contract number.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Do points you buy from the resort revert back?
If so. That doesn’t seem right

I have no idea but thought it was weeks that had converted to the point system
30,000 points is not a full weeks worth so I’m wondering if the points might be from a point only resort??

In the HICV system, only units purchased resale from Smoky Mountain TN, Myrtle Beach or Lake Geneva WI retain their points. All other resort units revert back to weeks upon resale.

I had owned 98,000 points in Las Vegas. That was enough to get a week ina 1 BR in high season. So 30,000 points will not get you much at all.

uhsarp1

Reaction score
A

Also confirm you will rescind. We always like to know for sure.
If both you and your SO signed the TS contract, make sure you both sign the rescission letter having both your names, signatures, and the contract number.

Me & my wife have both signed and sent it out by Certified mail yesterday. Are the closing costs refundable?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Mrfixit

Reaction score
In the HICV system, only units purchased resale from Smoky Mountain TN, Myrtle Beach or Lake Geneva WI retain their points. All other resort units revert back to weeks upon resale.

I had owned 98,000 points in Las Vegas. That was enough to get a week ina 1 BR in high season. So 30,000 points will not get you much at all.
I saw a recent ebay posting for HVIC Scottsdale for 900,000 annual points. As a buyer, how would I know if these points, when sold would revert back to weeks or not .The seller on ebay isn't taking any questions, so I cant ask him. Is HIVC at Scottsdale another possible location to the 3 mentioned locations? Did they add more resort locations to allow resale units to points? How would I know which weeks the 900,000 points would revert to. I believe the maintenance fees were listed at around $5300 per year. Thanks

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I saw a recent ebay posting for HVIC Scottsdale for 900,000 annual points. As a buyer, how would I know if these points, when sold would revert back to weeks or not .The seller on ebay isn't taking any questions, so I cant ask him. Is HIVC at Scottsdale another possible location to the 3 mentioned locations? Did they add more resort locations to allow resale units to points? How would I know which weeks the 900,000 points would revert to. I believe the maintenance fees were listed at around $5300 per year. Thanks
Im not positive but I heard the UDI points at Scottsdale can only be used at Scottsdale once its sold.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

The one thing I would be concerned about is being locked in to a 420 plus payment per month in MF. And...These fees will go nothing but UP. If you bank 420 a month in a travel account, you can travel when you want to and can afford it. Plus, you can do a lot of travel on 5300 and can capitalize on travel deals saving even more. If you have a lean year, those fees are due regardless.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be patient and pick up a points unit at Smoky Mountain, South Beach - Myrtle Beach, or Lake Geneva. I was able to pick up two contracts totaling 257,000 points for $1 each. Just be patient and use the TUG Marketplace and eBay. Be very careful about the unit you don't want Land Trust Points.
Since you have done this, do you not get the perks? For example, the 3 free nights and 10% and any others for premier?
ALso, did you have any fixed weeks? They said I can only turn into points with my fixed week if I buy new points. They offered 40K points for $10,000.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since you have done this, do you not get the perks? For example, the 3 free nights and 10% and any others for premier?
ALso, did you have any fixed weeks? They said I can only turn into points with my fixed week if I buy new points. They offered 40K points for $10,000.
Run away. You do not get Premier status, but its not worth the cost. You have all other benefits. The only three deeded weeks that transfer to points are South Beach, Smoky Mountain & Lake Geneva.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned