• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need some help vetting Renter

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in a wish to rent ad for a week at Wilderness Club at Big Cedar for this summer.

I think the price is reasonable, however, the person just joined TUG earlier this week.

The renter has also mentioned using Paypal to pay for the transaction.

I have never rented a timeshare before. I am concerned about being scammed.

What steps would you recommend taking to best ensure I am protecting myself against loss.

Joe

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in a wish to rent ad for a week at Wilderness Club at Big Cedar for this summer.

I think the price is reasonable, however, the person just joined TUG earlier this week.

What steps would you recommend taking to best ensure I am protecting myself against loss.

Joe

1) get a signed rental agreement AND like a 50% deposit (PayPal is fine, I accept it all the time, at least via credit card), and then get the other 50% once you get the Guest Cert issued.

I'm not sure what timeshare you own, or what the rules are, but some of them you can freely "whack/change" the Guest Cert prior to check-in if you don't get payment, or it bounces, provided you have enough time to re-rent the unit (or change the reservation to later in the year).

Since joining TUG costs a little bit of money, and the person is willing to use PayPal, I'd say probably low risk, but I understand the concern.

Others I'm sure will have better advice, LOL!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The person you are renting from should send you an invoice through PayPal rather than just a request for payment. You should only pay using a credit card, not a debit card, linked to your PayPal account. When you pay make sure to put in the note section the name of the person who will be checking in, their address, email and cell phone number. The renter should add you to the reservation promptly after receiving your payment and you should get an email with the guest confirmation.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Joe

If you are worried about your loss then I would recommend you use the US Mail and send a check. Why this way? Presumably you will be sending it to a legitimate name and address (which you will now have for your records).

Additionally, because the transaction is done by US Mail then you will have the US Postal Inspectors behind you if you have issues; Mail Fraud is a Federal Crime and they take a dim view of people who take advantage of the public while using the United States Mail System.

I do rentals and am willing to accept a check via mail anytime (plus there is no 3% PayPal fee).

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about your loss then I would recommend you use the US Mail and send a check. Why this way? Presumably you will be sending it to a legitimate name and address (which you will now have for your records).

Additionally, because the transaction is done by US Mail then you will have the US Postal Inspectors behind you if you have issues; Mail Fraud is a Federal Crime and they take a dim view of people who take advantage of the public while using the United States Mail System.

I do rentals and am willing to accept a check via mail anytime (plus there is no 3% PayPal fee).

Just me however, if I were going that route, I would go with Certified and Return Receipt Requested.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
If you get the deposit and balance sufficently in advance, the personal cheque is fine. It has time to clear.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
@joestein I’ve had a renter ask to see a copy of my deed. Is that something you would feel comfortable asking for?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I'm a points owner with HICV with 28 resorts and growing. I would not show a deed, but I do show the reservation in my name that could be called and verified.
I use a simple email contract and PayPal down payment.
Snail mail for the balance if we have enough time to deposite & clear.
WITH a no cancellation , be sure to insure your stay line.

Trust goes both ways, we just want to rent our units, and they just want to go on vacation for the most part. Most are still honest, a few gives us all a black eye!

Dave

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I took some advice from everybody's comments.

I used paypal invoice to pay the deposit (25%) and the remaining balance. I received a copy of my reservation directly from Bluegreen and called the resort to confirm before I made the final payment.

We also had a rental contract that spelled out the terms of the rental. Now I just have to wait until late August when we check in.

Joe

dkpiwko

TUG Member
Reaction score
@joestein I’ve had a renter ask to see a copy of my deed. Is that something you would feel comfortable asking for?
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am hoping to rent out our 2 weeks for the first time this year. Trying to gather info though before listing it.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am hoping to rent out our 2 weeks for the first time this year. Trying to gather info though before listing it.

I think that is bit far. A copy of the reservation should be sufficent. If you didnt own the TS, how did you get the reservation anyway?

Fraudulent reservation? If so, why not a fraudulent deed? Plus in my mind, anyone who is asking for a copy of the deed is going to be a pain in the ass renter.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that is bit far. A copy of the reservation should be sufficent. If you didnt own the TS, how did you get the reservation anyway?

Fraudulent reservation? If so, why not a fraudulent deed? Plus in my mind, anyone who is asking for a copy of the deed is going to be a pain in the ass renter.
We did get scammed by a fraudulent reservation many years ago. Someone who must have worked for the company, was aware of owners who were not using their points. She would book using their name, put in renters name, and rent it out. the real owner was unaware. The one we rented got caught and cancelled. We lost, the company was aware of what had happened, but did not help us.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Personally, I think that any such request is “over the top” and one with which I would never be willing to comply. Does any tenant need to see details regarding from whom I bought my timeshare, when, or what I paid for it? I think not.

I will gladly provide a copy of my most recent maintenance fee bill (and proof of payment thereof) and invite and welcome the prospective tenant to contact the resort independently to verify my ownership status, but that Is certainly as far as I am willing to go to conduct a (for me, only occasional) rental. YMMV.

Last edited: