• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ex won’t relinquish co-ownership

TS1969

Reaction score
A foreclosure is enforcement of the lien on the property.
It "closes" the claims of anyone who may have an interest in the property.

Your squabble with your ex over who 'owns' it or the 'primary' matters not.
Not one red cent. Their foreclosure will throw both of you out, equally.
If anyone doesn't want that to happen, they need to settle up with HGVC.

HGVC may hassle you some more. Throw the letters away. Hang up on 'em.
Eventually, they'll get the message that they can't get blood out of a turnip.
They'll either write it off or go after your ex. Either way, it'll be over for you.
------------------------
BTW, your ex a house would be foolish. I'd sat something else, but too polite.

With all this great advise, I’m feeling better than I have! The panic attacks are fewer and further between. My ex owns the business we started (he ended up with it - better divorce lawyer), I didn’t ask for alimony only that he help with our college aged children and I walked away from practically everything we owned together. Now he has 2 houses, and I’m sure his credit is great. My dad recently died in a car accident so I inherited my parents house, which is paid in full. Eventually I’ll have to put it in my name, but just scared to death to do so thinking they’d come after my property. Thankfully, great advise from y’all have told me they can’t do that. They can come after me as equally as they do him. It won’t hurt me one bit to foreclose, but he may not like his credit getting hit since it’s important to continue to run his business.

Thank you so much. I’m so glad I found this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TS1969

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that.

It’s definitely not my first choice. The house is paid in full and my parents worked hard to pay the mortgage in 15 years. This just shows how frightened I am over the fact that I believe Hilton could try to come after my home.

TS1969

Reaction score
@TS1969 I would still recommend discussing this strategy with legal aid because your ex could object and they could come after both of your assets because his objection could turn this into a deficiency judgment. OTOH they may see your bad credit and decide that they would pay more in lawyers than they could recoup and would focus on recouping from your millionaire ex. He has much more to lose than you. However we are not lawyers and do not know the details of your assets. Depending on the state the lawyer may advise you to declare bankruptcy to protect your home and retirement funds.

I have NO assets whatsoever and no retirement funds. I was actually homeless for about a year and have nothing but a past bankruptcy on my credit. My ex owns a lucrative business, 2 homes, property, stock, and the retirement accounts we set up when we first married 30+ years ago. I’d have to wait 2 more years to file bankruptcy for the Hilton only (nothing else to file bankruptcy on) but it won’t hurt me to do that. But wouldn’t Hilton also try to ‘split’ the difference between ex and myself? He put himself as co-signer and I always believed if the owner couldn’t pay, that’s why they have a co-signer. Someone else to go after as a backup?

TS1969

Reaction score
I have NO assets whatsoever and no retirement funds. I was actually homeless for about a year and have nothing but a past bankruptcy on my credit. My ex owns a lucrative business, 2 homes, property, stock, and the retirement accounts we set up when we first married 30+ years ago. I’d have to wait 2 more years to file bankruptcy for the Hilton only (nothing else to file bankruptcy on) but it won’t hurt me to do that. But wouldn’t Hilton also try to ‘split’ the difference between ex and myself? He put himself as co-signer and I always believed if the owner couldn’t pay, that’s why they have a co-signer. Someone else to go after as a backup?

So far the amount owed on fees, etc is $1700 (I looked it up). Around how long do they wait until they consider foreclosure? I hope the sooner the better.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you are prolonging this discussion . It is simple. Just stop paying. If Hilton calls, just tell them they have the wrong number and hang up.

George

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Around how long do they wait until they consider foreclosure? I hope the sooner the better.

Only the Gods know.
The more valuable it is to them, the sooner they'll go after it.
If its value is limited, it could sit in limbo for a while.

TS1969

Reaction score

Question: if ex objects, can I object? He was in contempt from day 30 after divorce when he refused to turn the ts over to me by signing a quit claim. After he sent the divorce decree to Hilton 7 years after our divorce putting him as co-owner, I tried to get him to go either way - sign it completely over to me or take it completely. This man loves telling me to f**k off and if it’s something he can torture me with, he will. He’s just hanging out as co-signer after giving Hilton my daughters address to send the bill too since he knew she’d get my mail to me. I’m assuming they haven’t even contacted him since they’re still sending statements to me. This is the last thing he can torture me with and I have to admit, it is torture.

TS1969

Reaction score
I don't know why you are prolonging this discussion . It is simple. Just stop paying. If Hilton calls, just tell them they have the wrong number and hang up.

George

I’m sorry George. I’m just frightened and my anxiety level is extremely high. I am very thankful for this group and since I’m able to get it off my chest and receive valuable advise, it’s just making me feel better:)

TS1969

Reaction score
Only the Gods know.
The more valuable it is to them, the sooner they'll go after it.
If its value is limited, it could sit in limbo for a while.

Okay, thanks.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

If you already filed for bankruptcy, wouldn't that cover the TS because you owned it at that time? If so just move on and dont answer their calls.

Hold off as long as you can on putting that house in your name.

Last edited:

TS1969

Reaction score
If you already filed for bankruptcy, wouldn't that cover the TS because you owned it at that time? If so just move on and dont answer their calls.

Hold off as long as you can on putting that house in your name.

He was paying for the ts at that time. I didn’t include it in my bankruptcy. I’m holding off on putting the house in my name.

As George said, I think I’m riding the crap out of a dead horse. I’ve gotten so many great answers and don’t want to burden any of you anymore.

I’m just going to let them continue sending the bills to me, ignore them and try to let it go.

You guys have been awesome and set my mind at ease. I appreciate each and every one of you. I can sleep better at night, so I feel better already.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You guys have been awesome and set my mind at ease. I appreciate each and every one of you. I can sleep better at night, so I feel better already.
Glad to hear you're feeling better about the situation. Hope you'll stick around and let us know when it's resolved.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@TS1969 Good luck. Who knows? Maybe he will object to foreclosure and screw himself in the process...