• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What amenities at the Grand Luxxe are off limits to exchangers?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I exchanged to the GL in both RM and PV prior to their resort fees and their limiting exchangers use of amenities. Personally I resent this as we own Marriott timeshares and when people exchange into our resorts in Aruba and Hilton Head there are no resort fees and all the amenities are available for exchangers. That being said I am looking to finding an exchange for my son for his honeymoon. There are multiple GL units available! What are their current resort fees for an II exchange and which amenities are off limits to exchangers? Is there a way for an exchanger to have use of the amenities?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you own in Aruba and Hilton Head you may want to rent your week and use the cash to rent a GL unit from an owner. It will take out the resort fees but not sure if you would still be able to access the GL RM pool.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not want to rent them out. I use a different timeshare to exchange into the GL properties--we use our Marriott weeks. I want to know about the amenities that they make off limits to exchangers.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
My husband and I exchanged to the GL in both RM and PV prior to their resort fees and their limiting exchangers use of amenities. Personally I resent this as we own Marriott timeshares and when people exchange into our resorts in Aruba and Hilton Head there are no resort fees and all the amenities are available for exchangers. That being said I am looking to finding an exchange for my son for his honeymoon. There are multiple GL units available! What are their current resort fees for an II exchange and which amenities are off limits to exchangers? Is there a way for an exchanger to have use of the amenities?

I believe it’s $420 for a 2 BR in RM and $630 in NV. The limitations are primarily in RM; they will bargain for usage in exchange for attending a sales presentation, but those are hard sell. In NV, if it’s a week when there is 3 BR availability, go for that - they would have a better room location even without going through a sales and the resort fee is the same. It’s worth the upgrade size fee, IMHO.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I am certainly out of date. We have exchanged through II into GL NV a few times but the last was 1.5 or so years ago and I think we paid $70 in fees. Sounds like things have changed considerably in terms of resort fees. I am not sure what amenities they could restrict. Everything seems to be open to all at GL (not of course in reverse for GB or the other resorts on the NV Vidanta property). Am I missing something?

rpennisi

Reaction score
I am certainly out of date. We have exchanged through II into GL NV a few times but the last was 1.5 or so years ago and I think we paid $70 in fees. Sounds like things have changed considerably in terms of resort fees. I am not sure what amenities they could restrict. Everything seems to be open to all at GL (not of course in reverse for GB or the other resorts on the NV Vidanta property). Am I missing something?
We last exchanged to GL NV in Jan 2019. No restrictions on pools or restaurants then, and it was the last of the $11 pp/pd charge for exchanges ( through II).
The numbers now are what Eric B states in the above response.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"What amenities at the Grand Luxxe are off limits to exchangers?"

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself from laughing. Does anyone know what Vidanta will do next?

I LOVE the resorts, but trying to keep up with their rules on who can use what for how much is a never ending source of frustration for exchangers! Thankfully, we had full access to all the GL amenities in the past (without ever having to listen to the dreaded sales pitch), and with $630/wk in additional resort fees for a 2BR, I'd be very disappointed if I didn't. I'm curious if/when the construction in Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta will cause an issue with noise and losing a pool (and view) with the tram going in?

rpennisi

Reaction score
"What amenities at the Grand Luxxe are off limits to exchangers?"

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself from laughing. Does anyone know what Vidanta will do next?

I LOVE the resorts, but trying to keep up with their rules on who can use what for how much is a never ending source of frustration for exchangers! Thankfully, we had full access to all the GL amenities in the past (without ever having to listen to the dreaded sales pitch), and with $630/wk in additional resort fees for a 2BR, I'd be very disappointed if I didn't. I'm curious if/when the construction in Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta will cause an issue with noise and losing a pool (and view) with the tram going in?
I'll take the obstructed tram view of the ocean over the bass thumping until 2 AM on the other side of the building every time if given a choice.

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
I'll take the obstructed tram view of the ocean over the bass thumping until 2 AM on the other side of the building every time if given a choice.
Once I heard bass pumping loud from santuario till like 4am LOL I dont know if it was some sort of special event

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We last exchanged to GL NV in Jan 2019. No restrictions on pools or restaurants then, and it was the last of the $11 pp/pd charge for exchanges ( through II).
The numbers now are what Eric B states in the above response.

Thanks rpennsi; it didn't seem like that long ago that we were there and indeed, the fees have rocketed up recently. I am guessing not enough people going to the sales pitch and buying? Seems like a huge jump to me. We have exchanged into a 2 bdrm, but only need a 1 bdrm and am not sure how I would feel about paying $630 at NV in addition to exchange fees etc. But as PamMo points out, Vidanta - for all of its virtues - seems to change the rules "the way most people change their socks" as an executive director once remarked to me [about people's email addresses].

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks ....... the fees have .....
I am guessing not enough people going to the sales pitch and buying? ........
Hi zentraveler,
IMO - the resort fees have nothing to do with Vida Sales rate of success .
the resort fee likely goes to “ hotel side operations “ and the revenue generated by Vida Sales goes to building and expansion (including the NV Theme Park)

The resort fee structure at Vidanta properties is (IMO) based on the following
(Almost ) - ALL Vidanta weeks in ALL exchange companies are developer deposits.
this is a result of the following factors :
1) Vidanta’s feature of MF on use only [ “no go / no pay”] means there is no need for an owner who cannot use this year’s week to pay MF and deposit .

2) Vidanta builds for peak snowbird season ( late Dec to April / Christmas to Easter) ; and therefore shoulder season weeks are available for developer deposit . Building in pesos while collecting MF in $ USD allows building for peak season to be cost effective .

3) The exchange fee dollars you pay , goes mostly or completely to RCI or II . ( IMO)

4) There is some sort of exchange company / developer split of the revenue from TPU’s / points etc. that are required from you to do an exchange (IMO).*
- so if a Grand Mayan 2 bedroom costs 14 TPU’s ; how much revenue do you think the hotel side of Vidanta gets from your exchange ? ( $ 300 ??)** If they doubled it to 28 TPU’s & Vidanta’s revenue from the exchange company doubled ($600 ??)** - your net cost would be higher and Vidanta’s occupancy would drop - a lose - lose - lose .You pay more & their revenue shrinks (due to fewer exchanges ) AND. they get fewer potential visitors to run through the Vida Sales Machine .
** these listed $ amounts are pure speculation on my part .

5) The TPU cost per week has generally been reduced from when the NV fee was $ 11 pp/pd . Vidanta also probably realized that people were booking more bedrooms than they needed under pp/pd and revised the structure .

6 ) The “all in cost “ of a Vidanta exchange through RCI (RCI exchange fee + TPU’s +resort fee) is about what an owner pays in MF to use a week (or perhaps a bit less or more -depending on your cost per TPU / points / etc.)

7) exchange rule changes . In RCI , the most recent is :1 exchange in 2 yr / (1 in 2 rule) so EOY .(currently based on RCI resort codes) .
These revisions do seem to be driven by Vidanta’s wish to optimize the mix of exchangers for the Vida Sales Machine . I would assume that this most recent change was based on a desire to increase newbie exchangers and reduce the number of non-buying annual repeat exchangers .

PS < we have an RCI weeks account (TPU’s) and do not have II - so my explanation used TPU info. I believe the concepts are applicable to all exchanges into Vidanta .
*SFX does have a lower resort fee - and I believe (IMO) this is based on a different revenue split between Vidanta and SFX of the revenue generated from an exchange .>

Last edited:

shorep

Reaction score
My maintenance fees for Vidante are over $1500,that's IF I want to use it for the year,no fees if I do not use, have not been there for over five years, very nice resort, bit isolated from the main town, agree the busy times November to February when it's cold up north, have had newsletters which mention a 'free week',with an 'update presentation'.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My maintenance fees for Vidante are over $1500,that's IF I want to use it for the year,no fees if I do not use, have not been there for over five years, very nice resort, bit isolated from the main town, agree the busy times November to February when it's cold up north, have had newsletters which mention a 'free week',with an 'update presentation'.

Hi shorep,
It sounds like you own some level of Grand Luxxe .
your ownership likely allows you to get more weeks or a bigger size unit at
a lower tier Vidanta brand . This could make the using your ownership a better vacation value for your needs .

So a one bedroom Grand Luxxe could translate into :
2 bedroom Grand Bliss
2 weeks in a Grand Mayan
etc. etc.

My examples are hypothetical . In order to learn what you can get for use ; you
would need to call Vidanta and give them your contract number . The reservations dept may be able to give you this information or will transfer you to Member Services who could access this for you.

It is also good to know when your booking window for peak months opens .
It is likely that your contract has 1 year for Grand Luxxe - (if that is the level you own). , which means you could book Presidents Week 2021 already ; as Vidanta allows the booking to start on the first day of the month.

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi zentraveler,
the resort fee likely goes to “ hotel side operations “ and the revenue generated by Vida Sales goes to building and expansion (including the NV Theme Park)

1) Vidanta’s feature of MF on use only [ “no go / no pay”] means there is no need for an owner who cannot use this year’s week to pay MF and deposit .

2) Vidanta builds for peak snowbird season ( late Dec to April / Christmas to Easter) ; and therefore shoulder season weeks are available for developer deposit . Building in pesos while collecting MF in $ USD allows building for peak season to be cost effective .

3) The exchange fee dollars you pay , goes mostly or completely to RCI or II . ( IMO)

4) There is some sort of exchange company / developer split of the revenue from TPU’s / points etc. that are required from you to do an exchange (IMO).*
- so if a Grand Mayan 2 bedroom costs 14 TPU’s ; how much revenue do you think the hotel side of Vidanta gets from your exchange ? ( $ 300 ??)** If they doubled it to 28 TPU’s & Vidanta’s revenue from the exchange company doubled ($600 ??)** - your net cost would be higher and Vidanta’s occupancy would drop - a lose - lose - lose .You pay more & their revenue shrinks (due to fewer exchanges ) AND. they get fewer potential visitors to run through the Vida Sales Machine .

5) The TPU cost per week has generally been reduced from when the NV fee was $ 11 pp/pd . Vidanta also probably realized that people were booking more bedrooms than they needed under pp/pd and revised the structure .

6 ) The “all in cost “ of a Vidanta exchange through RCI (RCI exchange fee + TPU’s +resort fee) is about what an owner pays in MF to use a week (or perhaps a bit less or more -depending on your cost per TPU / points / etc.)

7) exchange rule changes . In RCI , the most recent is :1 exchange in 2 yr / (1 in 2 rule) so EOY .(currently based on RCI resort codes) .
These revisions do seem to be driven by Vidanta’s wish to optimize the mix of exchangers for the Vida Sales Machine . I would assume that this most recent change was based on a desire to increase newbie exchangers and reduce the number of non-buying annual repeat exchangers .

PS < we have an RCI weeks account (TPU’s) and do not have II - so my explanation used TPU info. I believe the concepts are applicable to all exchanges into Vidanta .
*SFX does have a lower resort fee - and I believe (IMO) this is based on a different revenue split between Vidanta and SFX of the revenue generated from an exchange .>
As a side note there are many WINTER weeks available for the Grand Luxxe in Interval!!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
As a side note there are many WINTER weeks available for the Grand Luxxe in Interval!!
The Vida Sales Machine needs feeding 12 months a year
and owner upgrades at sales presentations alone - won’t completely fill the hopper in peak winter season.

voila -

Hi Ilene13 ,
What i meant to clarify is that there should always be shoulder weeks available due to the peak build strategy ; and Vidanta uses other developer weeks year round to ensure a flow of exchangers .

The towers for the transportation gondola system that will transport folks in the
Vidanta Celebrate Park being built in Nuevo Vallarta are being installed this month - the revenue from sales is (IMO) used to fund the growth.

Last edited:

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi zentraveler,

Thank you T-Dot-Traveler! Late to the game replying, but this was very helpful for me in understanding what seems like an opaque system, and your info does help considerably in making the system clearer. And it also helps in retrospect; last year we got a low cost II exchange into Grand Luxxe NV in peak season (Feb) but it was undoubtedly the big blizzard in the US east and midwest that left people grounded at home. It has not happened again this year and the GL is not even coming up in the shoulder season this year that I can see.

I do understand that Vidanta hotel side needs to make some money, but we always figured they also want to keep their employees busy and have customers to frequent the restaurants since once at Vidanta NV it is so hard to leave that I suspect most people just eat there, use the spa etc. And we are also repeat visitors who avoid the presentations at all cost, so the developers are not going to sell us anything. If the developers are looking for ways to generate revenue by visitors who buy weeks, it is undoubtedly a a moving target as they look for newer and better ways to do that.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you T-Dot-Traveler! Late to the game replying, but this was very helpful for me in understanding what seems like an opaque system, and your info does help considerably in making the system clearer. And it also helps in retrospect; last year we got a low cost II exchange into Grand Luxxe NV in peak season (Feb) but it was undoubtedly the big blizzard in the US east and midwest that left people grounded at home. It has not happened again this year and the GL is not even coming up in the shoulder season this year that I can see.

I do understand that Vidanta hotel side needs to make some money, but we always figured they also want to keep their employees busy and have customers to frequent the restaurants since once at Vidanta NV it is so hard to leave that I suspect most people just eat there, use the spa etc. And we are also repeat visitors who avoid the presentations at all cost, so the developers are not going to sell us anything. If the developers are looking for ways to generate revenue by visitors who buy weeks, it is undoubtedly a a moving target as they look for newer and better ways to do that.
I see a lot of GL availability on II, shoulder and winter

Flasher42

Reaction score
can You see. 1 bedroom or greater at Grand Luxxe Rivera Maya for Oct 30th 2020?
thank you?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
can You see. 1 bedroom or greater at Grand Luxxe Rivera Maya for Oct 30th 2020?
thank you?
12/4-11 and 12/6-13 all 1 bedrooms at the GL
Every week from 10/30 to mid December 1 bedrooms at the Grand Luxxe Jungle
Their lockoffs are quite large and there is a ton of availability for those

Flasher42

Reaction score
Thank you for checking, I did see the jungle but they don’t have the plunge pool! Traveling with family, only ck in Oct 30-Nov1will work!
again thank you!!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Looks like just studios there in SFX, but you might try calling them. They sometimes come through when their website doesn’t show anything.

Flasher42

Reaction score
I trade thru II and didn’t see anything at the Grand Luxxe , So I booked into Grand Bliss 2bdroom (afraid they would get snatched up) with the option to Re-trade if I see anything pop up!!

Last edited:

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Anybody can see trought Rci, II or Sfx escapes, extravacation, etc. to Vidanta, I mean to pay by money, not with points or weeks. Sorry for the question, since I don’t have access, only by phone.