• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana into Marriott II exchanges cost now $154

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Yes, high demand resorts and peak travel weeks are snatch up during the preference period. So for example, folks shouldn’t expect peak summer weeks at beach locations and/or prime weeks during peak ski season.
That was really my point; I was a bit melodramatic with that portion of my post :)

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that voluntary resale Vistana weeks do not have the option of utilizing the preferred access to Marriott because they are not part of Westin Signature Experiences?
I just tested this by taking a resale, no-StarOptions SVR week, and starting the process for a trade to a Marriott. The fee was $154. So, that indicates resale weeks are included as well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Sorry, I’ve been posting sightings for years. It’s not just studios and mud weeks that make it out of the preference period.

Yes, high demand resorts and peak travel weeks are snatched up during the preference period. So for example, folks shouldn’t expect peak season weeks at beach locations and/or prime weeks during peak ski season.
I’ve seen prime ski weeks at Marriott’s to exchange before this announcement. If you’re diligent and want to travel last minute within a month or two you can get some availability.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I’ve seen prime ski weeks at Marriott’s to exchange before this announcement. If you’re diligent and want to travel last minute within a month or two you can get some availability.
True, but I'd be willing to bet most weren't in preference prior to being available. If you can travel last minute, there are more than enough great weeks to get. There are also some great prime weeks that aren't put in preference when deposited outside of flex (haven't figured out the rationale of when they do, and when they don't for prime). I've picked up several great trades into Hawaii Marriotts and Westins with my Vacation Village unit; however, I'm not talking about those that weren't preferenced. I'm talking about the ones that start in preference.

I still stand by my main point: unless the preference period is shortened, it won't add a ton of value. I'm open to being wrong; quite frankly, I hope I am. I just don't see it happening if the preference time remains the same.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
True, but I'd be willing to bet most weren't in preference prior to being available. If you can travel last minute, there are more than enough great weeks to get. There are also some great prime weeks that aren't put in preference when deposited outside of flex (haven't figured out the rationale of when they do, and when they don't for prime). I've picked up several great trades into Hawaii Marriotts and Westins with my Vacation Village unit; however, I'm not talking about those that weren't preferenced. I'm talking about the ones that start in preference.

I still stand by my main point: unless the preference period is shortened, it won't add a ton of value. I'm open to being wrong; quite frankly, I hope I am. I just don't see it happening if the preference time remains the same.
Well I can tell you, as of yesterday I see plenty of Aruba weeks for exchange and I’ve never seen that before. Sure it’s summer and fall weeks but that’s ok. That’s when I travel there anyway

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Love this. Basically it paid for our upgrade. Just p/u Christmas week @ DSV2 using my SDO Studio. Great trade for us because we are local and my children love the pools.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Well I can tell you, as of yesterday I see plenty of Aruba weeks for exchange and I’ve never seen that before. Sure it’s summer and fall weeks but that’s ok. That’s when I travel there anyway
I can see May-Nov Marriott weeks in Aruba with my Vacation Village unit so they're not preferenced.

However, I agree with your premise. I'm sure there will be additional exchanges that weren't previously available...I wonder about the quality of what Vistana owners will see when our preference window opens for Marriott units.

Your post made me think of something different...let's forget about preference for a moment. I wonder if Vistana owners will now see Marriott units (not in preference) that they previously couldn't pull.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I can see May-Nov Marriott weeks in Aruba with my Vacation Village unit so they're not preferenced.

However, I agree with your premise. I'm sure they'll be additional exchanges that weren't previously available...I wonder about the quality of what Vistana owners will see when our preference window opens for Marriott units.

Your post made me think of something different...let's forget about preference for a moment. I wonder if Vistana owners will now see Marriott units (not in preference) that they previously couldn't pull.
That was my thought, I’ve never seen Marriott Aruba inventory with me VSE. I hardly saw much of anything.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Didn’t say never ;)

Yes, from time to time peak weeks and/or peak resorts become available to the general public especially last minute. You can see that by searching the TUG Sightings forum. I don’t expect that to change.

It also helps that the Marriott preference period is shorter during the flex change period (59 days before checkin). :)

There are always exceptions to the rule but in general you won’t see them in bulk outside the preference period. Here are some examples of what Marriott owners get priority access to
The Marriott Aruba resorts are generally available except I’ve seen less online availability during higher demand periods Dec - Mar and Late June - Early Aug (link to II Travel Demand for Aruba).

Here are examples of bulks w/o preference that I expect we’ll continue to see.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Didn’t say never ;)

Yes, from time to time peak weeks and/or peak resorts become available to the general public especially last minute. You can see that by searching the TUG Sightings forum. I don’t expect that to change.

It also helps that the Marriott preference period is shorter during the flex change period (59 days before checkin). :)

There are always exceptions to the rule but in general you won’t see them in bulk outside the preference period. Here are some examples of what Marriott owners get priority access to

The Marriott Aruba resorts are generally available except I’ve seen less online availability during higher demand periods Dec - Mar and Late June - Early Aug (link to II Travel Demand for Aruba).

Here are examples of bulks w/o preference that I expect we’ll continue to see.
Interesting. I feel like I’ve never seen Aruba and I’ve checked plenty for two years out. Anyway, I’ll try to get park city ski week and if not I’ll stick with vistana through options. I’m sure I can get something somewhere.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
While having priority access over other II exchangers and lower fee, it is not clear which inventory the priority applies. If it is limited to the inventory deposited to II, then it is not a huge deal since Westin/Sheraton/Marriott deposits are limited. But if it includes DC points and SO inventory, then it is a huge deal depending on when the priority period begins.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Looks like a win win. Although I like getting more value with the points for going off season and stretching them out, this is certainly a benefit.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I did some tests with a Westin Lagunamar studio and found 2 bedroom Marriott's we could get in exchange for an additional $99

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
It's great to have the new discounted fee! I wonder how many days in preference Vistana owners will have to see available Marriott exchanges, since we will have "preferred access" after the "first priority access of the MVC owners"?

I found a Marriott faq on tug2 where they said the internal exchange time frame was typically 24 days, but could be as short as 3.

I suspect the first priority of MVC owners would be in an ongoing search. ie, if a MVC owner and a VSE owner have ongoing requests for an MVC week that shows up, it would be offered to the MVC owner first and vice versa.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Does this mean that voluntary resale Vistana weeks do not have the option of utilizing the preferred access to Marriott because they are not part of Westin Signature Experiences?
I don't think resale matters at all as this is an II pure play. It doesn't affect your ownership at all unless you trade it through Interval.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Yay!! I guess I didn't need to buy my Marriott Grand Chateau for Marriott Priority in II. I think Vistana owners will be VERY pleased with this. Marriott puts great units into II that only Marriott owners could access for around 21 days. Now My Vistana weeks will have access to those, too!!! Woohoo! Maybe that will bring some value back to Vistana resales. Part of what kept Marriott resale values higher (in addition to ROFR) was that they had exchange priority in II. This is DEFINITELY a win for Visana owners because Marriott puts many more prime weeks into II than Vistana does. I've been able to exchange into spring break Aruba and Hawaii with my Marriott weeks. Marriott also has all the pulse properties - some nice city weeks in San Franciso, New York, and Boston show in II fairly often. The San Francisco property is fantastic.

Why do Marriott owners have to trade to other Marriott properties through II? In VSE, we can just book at any of the properties.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Why do Marriott owners have to trade to other Marriott properties through II? In VSE, we can just book at any of the properties.
We exchange all our Marriott-Units via II because its a much better value. We Lock-Off and deposit a Studio+1BR and exchange into a 2BR or even 3BR Marriott via II by paying a $59 Size-Upgrade fee [no Exchange-Fee] to II. Within MVCI using the DCP-System, I would have to relinquish 2BR or 3BR worth in DCP-Points for the same exchange.

We do the same with our VSE-Units.

Last edited:

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
We exchange all our Marriott-Units via II because its a much better value. We Lock-Off and deposit a Studio+1BR and exchange into a 2BR or even 3BR Marriott via II by paying a $59 Size-Upgrade fee [no Exchange-Fee] to II. Within MVCI using the DCP-System, I would have to relinquish 2BR or 3BR worth in DCP-Points for the same exchange.

We do the same with our VSE-Units.
Is there no exchange fee if I exchange VSE to VSE through II?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

BK2019

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Saratoga Springs
HGVC Paradise
Newbie to the Marriot / Westin program here, I've been thinking about picking up a mandatory SO resort. A resale mandatory SO unit is eligible to exchange into II and trade into Marriot in the preferred period as well?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
A resale mandatory SO unit is eligible to exchange into II and trade into Marriot in the preferred period as well?
Yes. Resale voluntary units are also eligible.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a similar email and I only own resale voluntary weeks.
I did not receive this email (or perhaps lost in the inbox mire). I own both Marriot (MCV) and Vistana (SDO) resale units. So wonder what my priority will be?

I have been trying to trade into a Palm Springs unit with a SDO large 1bdrm for spring break. The request has been ongoing for about 6 months and only one call about a studio (need 1 or 2 bdrm).

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
This is freaking awesome.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not receive this email (or perhaps lost in the inbox mire). I own both Marriot (MCV) and Vistana (SDO) resale units. So wonder what my priority will be?

I have been trying to trade into a Palm Springs unit with a SDO large 1bdrm for spring break. The request has been ongoing for about 6 months and only one call about a studio (need 1 or 2 bdrm).
@dr.debs, were you looking manually as well? IIRC, I thought I saw availability for March and April during the fall months last year. Have you considered changing your requested range of dates to 2021? You would certainly have a high place in the queue for next year! Good luck and happy travels to you and your family. CJ

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
VSE to VSE through II is $154.
I could always Exchange my Marriott-Units to other Marriott-Units for $0
I can now Exchange my Marriott-Units TO Vistana-Units for $0
However, as a Vistana-Owner I have to pay $154 to exchange into other Vistana-Units.

Yesterday, II introduced 50%-Off Platinum-Membership for Marriott-Owners but not for Vistana-Owners. I hope this will change over time.