• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone tried Medifast's Optavia weight-loss program?

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
I am at just over 4 weeks in and have lost 21 pounds. And like you Cindy, the loss has been slower in the last week or two. But I am more amazed at the other changes. I have several medical problems and had to have blood work done to check on any effects from a new RA medication I just started.

But I guess I should first mention that my blood sugar readings have dropped way down and I have reduced my insulin to almost nothing (with doctor support). I also had a cholesterol test done and it is the lowest it has been in years, especially the triglycerides and the good LDL is up! I really like that this is not a “diet” program but a lifestyle health change program that can keep you healthy for life.

Congrats Cindy and stick with it!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am at just over 4 weeks in and have lost 21 pounds. And like you Cindy, the loss has been slower in the last week or two. But I am more amazed at the other changes. I have several medical problems and had to have blood work done to check on any effects from a new RA medication I just started.

But I guess I should first mention that my blood sugar readings have dropped way down and I have reduced my insulin to almost nothing (with doctor support). I also had a cholesterol test done and it is the lowest it has been in years, especially the triglycerides and the good LDL is up! I really like that this is not a “diet” program but a lifestyle health change program that can keep you healthy for life.

Congrats Cindy and stick with it!

That is an incredible weight loss. Wow! I am so impressed.

For me, it's been 12 weeks today.

Weight loss has definitely slowed to about 2 pounds per week, but I am now down 29 pounds. Thank you Dr. Anderson and Optavia. I really have found the right program for me. Clothes are baggy on me, and I am digging in the back of my closet and the bottom of my dresser drawers for jeans that fit. It's not just a diet, it's a journey. So happy to have found this program. I can suddenly imagine myself thin. It's been tough because I kind of gave up the struggle years ago. I exercised once like crazy to lose 20 pounds and was still not near my goal. I am down 29 pounds without that vigorous exercise. Once I reach my initial goal, I will add regular meals (instead of fuelings) and start exercising again.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so happy for you!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am so happy for you!
Thanks, Patri. It's been an adventure, and it's not like my usual "diet" when I feel like I am deprived of everything. I am eating six times a day. No chance to be hungry. Fuelings are easy to eat, and most are delicious.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Way to go Cindy!! Even with Thanksgiving Day tomorrow I am sticking to the plan. My DH has been very supportive eating dinners that contains food on the plan. I found several recipes on Facebook suitable for the holiday meal that are compliant so we will still celebrate just not with some of the traditional dishes I usually make. But that’s what building a healthy lifestyle is all about!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was very good over the Thanksgiving holiday and am now 33 pounds down. More holidays to go, and we are in Disneyland currently. The smells at Disneyland have been tough for me! I love Disney food, but yesterday I had a grilled half-chicken and enjoyed it. The Mexican eatery in the park has some healthy choices. I had a burger with no bun or fries the day before at the hamburger place next to Soarin'.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was to go Cindy!!! Keep up the great work!!!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am now down 44 pounds on 1/29/2020. What a blessing this program has been for me.

Even in Disney World this past week, I was successful in eating only on plan and didn't waiver. I lost five pounds while on that vacation. We were gone three weeks.

I get on the scale with anticipation, almost daily, because the scale goes down enough to actually see results. I had a bit of a slowdown during and after Christmas, but I still ate on plan. The worst thing I did on Christmas day was maybe overeat on shrimp cocktail and vegetables with ranch dressing. Our daughter-in-law made a beautiful prime rib, and my slice was wonderful. So I ate too much good food that day, no fudge, cherry mash (Rick makes this every year), or pie. I

It was a good day for eating, but I kept the sweets under control. If I eat just a handful of M & M's, I won't stop until the bag is gone. That is what I would call a sugar addiction. :ROFLMAO: I wanted to lose another 26 pounds by 4/11, our three-week Europe trip. First time to Europe and first Mediterranean cruise. That is my goal. If I don't make it, I will be okay with 16 pounds gone by then.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Best of luck! Losing weight and keeping it off is very difficult. I known I have done it numerous times.
Keeping it off is difficult due to hormones. Your body works against you to get back to its weight it just lost. Increases in Ghrelin fight to make you hungrier than you were before you lost the weight. If you gained weight back, it’s not tour fault.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now down 44 pounds on 1/29/2020. What a blessing this program has been for me.

Even in Disney World this past week, I was successful in eating only on plan and didn't waiver. I lost five pounds while on that vacation. We were gone three weeks.

I get on the scale with anticipation, almost daily, because the scale goes down enough to actually see results. I had a bit of a slowdown during and after Christmas, but I still ate on plan. The worst thing I did on Christmas day was maybe overeat on shrimp cocktail and vegetables with ranch dressing. Our daughter-in-law made a beautiful prime rib, and my slice was wonderful. So I ate too much good food that day, no fudge, cherry mash (Rick makes this every year), or pie. I

It was a good day for eating, but I kept the sweets under control. If I eat just a handful of M & M's, I won't stop until the bag is gone. That is what I would call a sugar addiction. :ROFLMAO: I wanted to lose another 26 pounds by 4/11, our three-week Europe trip. First time to Europe and first Mediterranean cruise. That is my goal. If I don't make it, I will be okay with 16 pounds gone by then.
Cindy, that is fantastic! I have such a problem with sugar, I have to keep all sweets out of the house.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Cindy, that is fantastic! I have such a problem with sugar, I have to keep all sweets out of the house.
I am the same way. It is like a drug, once I have it, cannot stop until it is all gone. If I don’t have it, no urge to have it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I try to control carbs and then I binge. :( Yesterday after a relatively guilt-free lunch - grilled fish tacos without eating the tortilla shell, I had 4 jammy wheels cookies from UK. We went to an awful fast food Chinese restaurant in Palm Desert last night because our guests insisted on going there. After having a high carb Chinese dinner, I went home and had hazelnut chocolate. I have to get better today.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am the same way. It is like a drug, once I have it, cannot stop until it is all gone. If I don’t have it, no urge to have it.
Me too.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I try to control carbs and then I binge. :( Yesterday after a relatively guilt-free lunch - grilled fish tacos without eating the tortilla shell, I had 4 jammy wheel cookies from UK. We went to an awful fast food Chinese restaurant in Palm Desert last night because our guests insisted on going there. After having a high carb Chinese dinner, I went home and had hazelnut chocolate. I have to get better today.
I found as I have gotten older it is so much harder. So much stress this last year and the weight just crept back on. My other half, he eats so much and stays thin. He always says I should be thin the way I eat. So once again I have to lose it. Ugh.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Great job! I envy you! I can't diet anymore.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Several years ago, I did a QVC 30 day special sale of NutraSystem boxed/dried foods. I did NOT renew for a 2nd month as my goal was to learn portion size and discipline.

I told my male co-worker I was going on a diet and I would be bitchy, as we eat lunch together every day. He told me his wife was always going on diets so "No Problem!".

I lost about 90+ pounds and have kept the weight off. My big meal is lunch with my male co-worker. I eat breakfast usually packaged instant oatmeal or 1/2 bagel with cream cheese plus coffee with sugar free creamer.

Bad side ... I had to buy smaller jeans. Good side ... my knees hurt way less and still no knee surgery.
I lost 30+ pounds with NutriSystem, twice in my life. It was super easy eating their food so I didn't have to think about it. I was so happy with the result that I let my guard down and bad habits came back. I totally skipped the transition plan to "real" food and gained most of the weight back. So here we go again. I'm going to do the more traditional way this time, making my own decisions about what to eat and how much.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is awesome Cindy!!

Sweets is also my weakness.......

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I lost 30+ pounds with NutriSystem, twice in my life. It was super easy eating their food so I didn't have to think about it. I was so happy with the result that I let my guard down and bad habits came back. I totally skipped the transition plan to "real" food and gained most of the weight back. So here we go again. I'm going to do the more traditional way this time, making my own decisions about what to eat and how much.
That is what I am doing now. I am also learning to cook. It amazes me how much better the food tastes and how much better I feel when I do the cooking. But cooking is work and sometimes time consuming to make what I love. I enjoy it and the results, so maybe a new hobby I love? Hopefully with time, I will cook more and it will feel easier.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Keto can work for some people. It worked for me to a point, and then I got tired of the decisions for every meal and keeping things stocked in the cupboards and refrigerator. I love Atkins bars, but sugar alcohol is not good for me.

This program just takes the decisions away from me, except which bar do I eat today.

I get to eat a pancake for breakfast every morning with 1 tsp of sugar-free maple syrup. I look forward to it. It's full of protein. On maintenance, I will still eat a pancake, but a Kodiak multi-grain one. I could eat those every day. One, not three or four, like I used to eat, and no bacon.

To replace my meals on maintenance, I will be able to eat six times a day, but healthy foods like string cheese, no added sugar Greek yogurt, deviled egg (two halves), and a large number of other items. I see some bars advertised on my Facebook feed that might be a good replacement for my Optavia ones. I can always have a bowl of cheerios with milk and no sugar added.

I do get to drink coffee, but I do half decaf to keep the caffeine intake down. I think if I could stop coffee altogether, I could lose weight faster, but I cannot give it up completely, and the half decaf tastes so good. I mix Dunkin' Donuts pumpkin spice coffee with Seattle's Best Decaf. You would never know it's half-caf.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points

Doing great Cindy! I am so grateful for your post that introduced me to this program!! Thank you, thank you! I’m now down 42 pounds myself and having trouble finding clothes in my closet that will fit now, especially pants. But my goal is still 27 pounds away so I really don’t want to buy any new clothes yet.

My doctors are really happy with my new test results and I have been able to reduce some of my medications. More importantly is how much better I feel and how much more active I am now able to be. My RA and diabetes have greatly improved. I really like that the program teaches you a lifestyle that I believe I can continue after I reach my weight loss goal to maintain a healthy weight.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I can go all year without See’s candy, but once I have some I have to make three trips to the candy store to get tired of it for another year. And we’re talking a 1 pound purchase each time. First box I hide and don’t share, second box will have 1/4 dark nuts for Cliff, third box is half dark nuts.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
That is what I am doing now. I am also learning to cook. It amazes me how much better the food tastes and how much better I feel when I do the cooking. But cooking is work and sometimes time consuming to make what I love. I enjoy it and the results, so maybe a new hobby I love? Hopefully with time, I will cook more and it will feel easier.

I love to watch cooking shows. I love to read recipe books. I love to take cooking classes. However, I hate to cook! Nothing ever goes smoothly for me. All that time cooking for twenty minutes eating and all that cleaning up! The best thing I make is reservations.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I can go all year without See’s candy, but once I have some I have to make three trips to the candy store to get tired of it for another year. And we’re talking a 1 pound purchase each time. First box I hide and don’t share, second box will have 1/4 dark nuts for Cliff, third box is half dark nuts.

Thank goodness they are harder to find on the lower East Coast and their shipping charges are so high! I love their nuts and crunch selection!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fifty-five pounds down as of this morning. Weight loss has slowed drastically in two months, and I have another 25 to go for my first major goal. After I lose the 25, I may try maintenance for a while and then start back up in the fall. My kids are so impressed with my weight loss. My son Josh said that I don't even look like me anymore. I have been overweight SO LONG, he doesn't remember me this thin. I was this thin, but I think I have lost more inches than I usually do. My waist is now in a size 12 jeans. That is a size I haven't worn since 1993.

I have never enjoyed any diet program, but this one, I truly enjoy the food, the support, and the recipes on our Facebook group.

Foodiqueen.com sells some sets of recipes that I am thinking of buying. She also has a Facebook group and posted some great recipes there, including one today with jalapenos stuffed with cheese and some spices, then baked. Looks so good and very easy to make.

If I can lose weight, anyone can. Send me a PM, if you are thinking of trying this program. I eat a brownie before bed, and it's chocolate-y good. I eat bars that taste like oatmeal cookies. I eat dry cereal that I love without milk. I could do almond milk but I choose to eat them dry with my coffee. I even eat a pancake most days for breakfast. I eat six times a day.

There are shakes that are delicious, too. I love the orange cream one, but all are good. Vanilla is probably my second favorite, and the chocolate is very good with lots of ice because it kind of tastes like a Frosty from Wendy's.

My coach would love to help you lose weight and feel good.