• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are my best options for a Pahio property on Kauai that's paid off?

rnclyman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Movemore@4co79
My wife and I own a 2 bedroom floating week at Pahio Ka' Eo Kai in Princeville, Kauai. It is paid off, no mortgage...over the years we have used it to trade into other resorts. The yearly fees run $1639, I would consider selling it, I don't want my kids to inherit the fees. Otherwise, try renting? I have approached Wesley Financial Group hiring them to void the contract, I'm sure they charge a pretty big fee. Any suggestions?

Travelkat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people don’t know that most timeshare companies will take the timeshare back if you just ask. I just tell them I can no longer afford the maintenance fees and they start the process of ”deed back”. I never had specific dealings with this company myself, but all you can do is try. I have deeded back several timeshares over the years without any cost to myself. Most recently I gave back two Vistana properties. Also there is really nothing they can do to you if you just stop paying, they will eventually foreclose but since this is a timeshare it will most likely not even show up on your credit report.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I own a 2 bedroom floating week at Pahio Ka' Eo Kai in Princeville, Kauai. It is paid off, no mortgage...over the years we have used it to trade into other resorts. The yearly fees run $1639, I would consider selling it, I don't want my kids to inherit the fees. Otherwise, try renting? I have approached Wesley Financial Group hiring them to void the contract, I'm sure they charge a pretty big fee. Any suggestions?

Funny thing, someone just joined earlier this week asking about Wesley Financial. Check the Tug Lounge forum for the thread. There's a link in there linking to other threads about WFG. I will tell you what I told the other poster as well as what was said in the other threads. Do not use any company or law firm (WFG included) that claims it can cancel your timeshare or mortgage.

TravelKat gave you some good suggestions above.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Why not try to sell or give it away on Tug, rather than pay somebody to take it back? Even if you need to pay closing costs, you're still money ahead.

Dave

Last edited:

Travelkat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, someone just joined earlier this week asking about Wesley Financial. Check the Tug Lounge forum for the thread. There's a link in there linking to other threads about WFG. I will tell you what I told the other poster as well as what was said in the other threads. Do not use any company or law firm (WFG included) that claims it can cancel your timeshare or mortgage.

I would never pay a company to help you, you would only be throwing good money after bad.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Most people don’t know that most timeshare companies will take the timeshare back if you just ask. I just tell them I can no longer afford the maintenance fees and they start the process of ”deed back”. I never had specific dealings with this company myself, but all you can do is try. I have deeded back several timeshares over the years without any cost to myself. Most recently I gave back two Vistana properties. Also there is really nothing they can do to you if you just stop paying, they will eventually foreclose but since this is a timeshare it will most likely not even show up on your credit report.

In some cases that is all these timeshare relief companies like Wesley do... they just check to see if there is a deedback program... essentially charging you thousands for making a phone call and having some paperwork sent to you...

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Have you tried contacting Wyndham to see if they would take it off your hands? I know of at least one non Wyndham Ka'Eo Kai owner who got out of their ownership by doing that

rnclyman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Movemore@4co79

Thanks Lanny... will have a look at those threads. I also have seen something called LT Transfers? Are you familiar with them?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forget the companies that advertise that they will help you get rid of your unwanted TimeShare. All they want is your money. The advice you get on this site is sound. Your first phone call should be to the Resort (or the entity in whose portfolio the Resort resides) to see if you can do a Deed Back. If that doesn't work out, go to Plan B. Determine if it is salable. If it is, take a shot at selling it. If not, try to give it away here on TUG...

George

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lanny... will have a look at those threads. I also have seen something called LT Transfers? Are you familiar with them?

LT Transfers are the best the business, but I don't believe they can do business in the State of Hawaii if escrow monies are involved. Now if you give it away then you won't need to worry about the escrow issue.

By the way, Hawaii is the only State that has this "quirk law". I believe it was passed in order to keep the Timeshare Transfer business within the State of Hawaii.

As others have said; "Pay no one to take this off your hands". They'll just take the money and run. Would you pay in advance to sell your home? Of course not..

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I sent you a PM. As stated in my PM, you should be able to give away a fully paid-off 2-bedroom unit at Ka 'Eo Kai in the Bargain deals forum. No need to pay someone to take it off your hands, especially if you are willing to pay transfer fees. It probably doesn't have any significant value, but I don't believe it's a financial liability.

rnclyman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Movemore@4co79
Thanks...

rnclyman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Movemore@4co79
In some cases that is all these timeshare relief companies like Wesley do... they just check to see if there is a deedback program... essentially charging you thousands for making a phone call and having some paperwork sent to you...
Thats great information...thanks.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
check your conversations.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have seen something called LT Transfers? Are you familiar with them?

LT Transfers just handles the legal paperwork to transfer ownership from one willing seller/owner to a willing buyer or taker once the seller/owner and buyer/taker have agreed, but the key word is "Willing". LT does not cancel or get someone out of a timeshare or contract.

So if you do find a willing buyer or taker for your TS, then by all means, use LT to handle the legal paperwork for transferring ownership.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
I have a deeded week at Pahio Ka Eo Kai which was converted to Wyndham points when Wyndham took over its management (in the late 1990's I believe). At one point we were looking at getting out of the contract (and 2 other Wyndham contracts). If it's a Pahio week I don't know how you would handle it. But if it is a Wyndham contract then Wyndham Ovation Program is who you need to speak to. Tell them you are interested in a Deed Back. There should NOT be any fees associated. If they tell you there are I would tell them I wasn't interested and hang up. But I would call back in hopes of talking to someone more sympathetic. I would NOT accept paying Wyndham another dime. Other people have negotiated to retain unused use year points during the transfer - which makes sense because Wyndham's title transfer process is painfully slow.
I spoke to LT transfers a couple of years ago. They took $150.00 from me, looked at my paperwork while I sat in their office, then told me it was something I could undertake myself. I thought $150 was a little steep for that bit of information - but I doubt it would have been cheaper anywhere else. There were only 2 people in the LT Transfers office when I went in. One staff member - allegedly up to date on Hawaii laws - was not there that day. It was very helpful to write lists of questions for my encounters with both LT Transfers and Wyndham.