• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unwanted Holiday inn club vacation

Doorman98

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday inn club vacations
Hey there, my wife and I purchased a Timeshare from Holiday Inn club vacations in 2006 out of Lee Massachusetts. Since purchasing we haven't been able to use it because of our schedules. Have been making all payments on time with a hefty 17 percent interest. Is there any way of getting out of it considering we still owe about 18 thousand left on the mortgage.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG 18K still left. How much was the initial price.

if you can state more info like the resort name, season, Size of unit etc, it will help.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no way out unless you want to default and suffer whatever, if any, the consequences are. If you are not going to default, you might consider trying to find another source of financing it at something less than 17% ...

George

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
14 Years later and the finance time clock is still ticking? How many years was the loan written for? What was the initial purchase price and the amount financed ?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we need some more info from you, Doorman, but one important piece of advice that's always emphatically offered here is to not go seeking the "help" of any company, law firm, or charity that claims it can get you out of your timeshare and/or mortgage. They are usually scams.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Reading assignment:

Doorman98

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just noticed there was a typo regarding the year purchased. It was actually 2016. Originally purchased from oak 'n spruce resorts out in Lee, Massachusetts which was then bought out by Holiday Inn club vacations The original price from oak and spruce was about $8000 and then went to $27000 when holiday inn bought them out with a promise of keeping my benefits from oak 'n spruce and adding on holiday inns benefits. I only realized recently after showing the agreement to lawyer friend that I'm being charged 17% interest because of the original purchase and the new purchase from holiday inn combining interest from both. Horizons by Holiday inn has been no help telling me they could only help me if everything has been paid off. The purchase from.holiday inn was for week 43, I believe and for a 2 bedroom in Mavelston texas. I am also told that Holiday Inn does not have something called deed back which other companies offer.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also told that Holiday Inn does not have something called deed back which other companies offer.

HI might not have an official deed back program like Wyndham (Ovation) or Westgate (Legacay) but it does not mean HI will not take the TS back. It does not hurt to ask.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
HI might not have an official deed back program like Wyndham (Ovation) or Westgate (Legacay) but it does not mean HI will not take the TS back. It does not hurt to ask.
They have an official deed back program like Wyndham but like Wyndham and all the others they won't accept a deedback unless it is paid off. The OP did ask and they said they would be happy to take it back as soon as he paid off the $18,000 in principal he still owed.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have an official deed back program like Wyndham but like Wyndham and all the others they won't accept a deedback unless it is paid off. The OP did ask and they said they would be happy to take it back as soon as he paid off the $18,000 in principal he still owed.

Ah, okay. Thanks for that clarification. I didn't really read the OP's OP. I just saw his most recent thread stating HI does not have an official deed back program.

Doorman98

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey Lanny, thanks for the feed back. I've tried talking to Holiday Inn and even tried giving them a sob story. I've always come.back with the same answer..sorry, but we cant do.anything for you because you still.owe on your mortgage..

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've tried talking to Holiday Inn and even tried giving them a sob story. I've always come.back with the same answer..sorry, but we cant do.anything for you because you still.owe on your mortgage..

Then your best bet would probably be to do what Bogey21/George suggested above.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
transferring the balance of the loan to another line of credit would not only allow you to give the ownership back to HICV...it would also likely save you an absolute fortune in interest.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
@Doorman98 , Welcome to TUG. Sorry to read the sad story ... but you aren't alone here. FWIW, many of us learned to overcome the initial "full freight" purchase, to use our timeshares and, indeed, to fall in love with timeshare travel.

As suggested above, refinancing to a lower rate would be grand, if you have means to do so. You might also consider renting out your HIVC vacation periods if the club allows. Check their rules and seek to book the most popular location for a high demand period and advertise that rental! At least that could help recoup the annual dues.

But the best: USE your timeshare. Carve out time in your schedules, book something and commit yourselves to going through with the plans. Bring your laptops and do some work from the road ... but GO. Get that first trip booked and make some personal history. You might really enjoy it ... you might really need it.

Again, Welcome! I hope you stick around. :)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
transferring the balance of the loan to another line of credit would not only allow you to give the ownership back to HICV...it would also likely save you an absolute fortune in interest.
If you are in a position where you are eventually not going to be able to pay (not sure how bad your story/sob story really is), then you might as well default on the timeshare loan vs defaulting on a personal line of credit. If you will eventually have to default due to financial situation do not tie it to your house in anyway. If on the other hand you can pay (but just don't want to because you don't use it and don't see the value in it) and don't want any hits to your credit, you will save yourself some money by transferring it to something with lower interest and paying it off as quickly as possible.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at Oak and Spruce last August it’s a nice Timeshare. You could easily rent that week 43 it’s fall and many folks enjoy the Berkshires at that time of year. So you haven’t used it in 4 years? Renting it will give you a little money to use to pay a mortgage payment at least. Good Luck and welcome to TUG.
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have points, you don't have to worry about renting what you own. You want to book popular times in popular locations ideally that don't take a lot of points. Summer is very popular with families but summer reservations may be getting picked over at this time.