• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning to use your cellphone overseas? Here's what you need to know before you go

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent a mobile hotspot when I am overseas. It's so simple, cost-effective and works great. Unlike a SIM, my phone number remains the same. To me, it's a no-brainer.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
With T-Mobile we have free international data and texts.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
With T-Mobile we have free international data and texts.
And it so easy! Cross a border and receive a text message, "Welcome to [Country name]! Your T-Mobile plan gives you unlimited data at up to 2G speeds and texts at no extra cost. Calls at 25 cents/min. Want our fastest data and unlimited calls? Get an International Pass forest $5/day. Check it out: <link> Enjoy your stay!"

I was responding to email while on a bumpy bus ride in Oman last month. That felt almost other worldly. LOL. Thank you, T-Mobile!

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent a mobile hotspot when I am overseas. It's so simple, cost-effective and works great. Unlike a SIM, my phone number remains the same. To me, it's a no-brainer.
Do you rent before you go or get it once you arrive in the other country? Sending my daughter on a graduation trip to Italy in May and starting to look at options to keep in touch. Thanks! Tracy

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you rent before you go or get it once you arrive in the other country? Sending my daughter on a graduation trip to Italy in May and starting to look at options to keep in touch. Thanks! Tracy
I make arrangements for the hotspot before my departure. Last time I was in Europe I used "Teppy" - not sure if that's available in Italy. Teppy shipped the device to me at home in the US. Otherwise, you can pick up the device at your arrival airport. The only downside is that your daughter has to carry it around with her when she's out & about. They are very small. She will turn off her cell service upon arrival and connect her phone's wifi to the hotspot. If she has an Apple phone (and you do as well) all texts will go through via iMessage. You can call each other with FaceTime audio. If you don't have Apple phones you can message and call each other via What's App or Facebook messenger. And she can communicate with all of her friends through Snapchat. It could not be easier. And the speed is very fast. Additionally, multiple devices can connect to the same hotspot.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
T-Mobile was great in both Europe and Japan. My husband had to make a couple of hour long business calls. I was convinced we were going to get some surprise horrible bill but no. Texting was free. In a lot of place we made free wifi calls. We paid an extra $5 for the international plan just for the months we traveled.

The Vatican has great wifi. We made a wifi call from the center of St. Peter’s Square. The connection was so clear my mom didn’t believe we were still in Europe.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had enrolled in Verizon’s TravelPass plan a year or two ago. I usually get a local SIM card for wherever I am. So this past December I got one for Argentina. It ran out two days before returning. So I think no big deal I’ll just use Verizon’s plan for two days if necessary. Then our plane had a two day delay. I used the phone but the usual Verizon notice didn’t pop up. Used the phone anyway. Had about a $14 bill eventually from Verizon. I sat in the hotel room with my laptop on Verizon’s website for two hours trying to add or confirm their travelPass plan. The plan that’s $10 for 24 hour period. Next time I call them before I leave the US.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have recently switched (and ported our numbers) to T-Mobile from decades with AT&T. With them, we got nothing, nada, zilch when outside USA without paying $10 per day, every day we even read a text! And for $120ish a month! T-Mobile gives us Netflix, unlimited Wi-Fi on planes, use the phone in N. America- USA, Canada, Mexico- like at home- we're tethering 2 devices right now, and for $90 a month all in. This hotel has a slug of Canadians who have bought SIM cards and can't make a call or text. I'm kicking my butt for not switching years ago!

Jim