• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marinara sauce I loved, they changed the recipe, any products that it happened to you? Does anyone have a good Marinara Sauce recipe?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am disappointed. I often used Fody Marinara Sauce. I liked it because it was thick and chunky, gluten free, low in calories-only 80 calories for a cup and not too bad in sodium-310.

The ingredients in order of ingredient list were simple, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, extra virgin olive oil, carrots in puree, celery in purée, salt and basil.

The new version now puts water as the second ingredient. It is thinned out and not chunky. For 130 calories you only get 1/2 cup, fat content is much higher as is sodium at 440, for a cup it would be 880.

I am getting whatever jars I can and will not be buying the new version.

It seems every time I find a product I like, it either gets changed or discontinued. Anyone experienced the same?

I have been cooking lots more. Does anyone have a great recipe for Marinara Sauce?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Well, the product they changed that I hated was probably the most famous one, the New Coke disaster. For the youngsters on the forum, in 1985, Coke decided to change their recipe for the iconic product and introduced New Coke. And, they were so sure it was better that they stopped making the original Coke. Of course, after a loud outcry and decreasing sales, they decided to bring back the original Coke alongside New Coke. Then, after a few years of failing sales for New Coke, they dropped it and everything went back to normal. Very often, new and improved, isn’t!

Good luck finding a new marinara sauce that you like. Sorry I can’t help you with that as I seldom eat it.

Harry

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Well, the product they changed that I hated was probably the most famous one, the New Coke disaster. For the youngsters on the forum, in 1985, Coke decided to change their recipe for the iconic product and introduced New Coke. And, they were so sure it was better that they stopped making the original Coke. Of course, after a loud outcry and decreasing sales, they decided to bring back the original Coke alongside New Coke. Then, after a few years of failing sales for New Coke, they dropped it and everything went back to normal. Very often, new and improved, isn’t!

Good luck finding a new marinara sauce that you like. Sorry I can’t help you with that as I seldom eat it.

Harry

Opinions actually vary on what happened with the new coke debacle.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I used to make my own.Simple recipe
1 can Pastene Ground Peel Tomatoes (crushed Kitchen Ready)
1 can tomato paste ( hunts)
Olive oil to sauté minced onions ( just a few ) do this in the bottom of large sauce pan
Add the tomato paste and a fill the paste can with water, or Chianti, add basil, and garlic powder to taste.
Add the can of Pastene and half of that can with water.
Stir and simmer.
Lately we have been buying Publix Garlic and Oil Marinara Sauce. Not as good as mine, my recipe was passed down from MIL with a few changes.
Silentg

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Opinions actually vary on what happened with the new coke debacle.

Well, I am from the south and we did hate it. But, Coke headquarters is in Atlanta so they should have market tested better.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Here's what I use: https://www.skinnytaste.com/quick-marinara-sauce/

I love her recipes. She substitutes seasonings such as herbs and spices instead of butter and oils, so the recipes are healthy. My husband and daughter are on Weight Watchers and her recipes are all set up to work with their program. I have to watch my fat intake or I pay the price (tummy trouble) so these recipes work for me as well. Btw, I use San Marzano tomatoes. I can't find the ones that she recommends. I do add red pepper flakes and garlic power to mine, but I like my foods to have a kick so ymmv.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Try Classico. We use Classico because it is much lower in carbs. Their ogranic tomato and Basil pasta sauce does not have sugar added.
How is the sodium?

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We like Victoria Marinara Sauce. They also have vodka sauce. I'm not sure if it is local to NY.
Ingredients are Tomatoes, Onions, Olive Oil, Salt, Garlic, Basil, spices and Calcium Chloride. 70 calories for 1/2 cup and it's very chunky. Sodium is 420 mg. We can buy the White Linen version (Marinara) at Costco for 2 x 40 oz for $9. At the supermarket, it is $9 for one jar if not on sale.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
This is my go to recipe that I have been using for 25+ years. It was adapted from the Leone's Italian Cookbook
Marinara Sauce

6 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup butter

3 large roasted garlic cloves, mashed or minced

16 fresh sprigs parsley, leaves only

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

28 oz can crushed tomatoes

1 tablespoon dried oregano or dried Italian spices

8 anchovy fillets

red wine

Heat olive oil and butter. Add the garlic and parsley. Saute for a few minutes and let release flavors. Add the crushed tomatoes and everything else over medium heat. Let simmer until you are ready to eat. NOTE: Adding salt is optional based on the saltiness from the anchovies.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a great recipe for Marinara Sauce?
If you want a pour-and-heat alternative, Classico and Paul Newman are good choices for marinara.

This recipe is better than any store bought sauce and just as easy.

Marinara Sauce

6-8 roasted garlic cloves, or 1-2 teaspoons dried garlic
1 28 oz. can Muir Glen Organic crushed tomatoes with basil
½ teaspoon light brown sugar (optional)
½ teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt to taste (optional)

1. Mash garlic cloves into a large skillet. Use a large skillet, not a saucepan, to drive off moisture and concentrate the flavors.

2. Add crushed tomatoes and spices.

3. Mix, bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered on low heat for 15-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. (40 minutes simmering is where the sauce tastes the best to me).

I like this recipe, because the cook is in total control. Low sodium diet? Do not add any salt. No added salt version, 1 cup = 100 calories and 440 mg sodium. If you want something with lower sodium, there is a "No Salt" version of the Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes (1 cup = 60 calories and 100 mg sodium), but it difficult to find, except online.

It is the roasted garlic that gives this sauce over the top flavor. I spend an afternoon once a year roasting a dozen heads of garlic, then peel and freeze the cloves. The frozen cloves are there when I need them. Substituting Penzey's Roasted Garlic or garlic powder, for convenience, will still yield better than store-bought results.

The little bit of brown sugar cuts the edge off the acidity of the sauce. Taste the sauce without any sugar. Too tart? Add 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Taste again and add another 1/4 teaspoon sugar, if needed, but not more than that, unless you want a sweet marinara.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am disappointed. I often used Fody Marinara Sauce. I liked it because it was thick and chunky, gluten free, low in calories-only 80 calories for a cup and not too bad in sodium-310.

The ingredients in order of ingredient list were simple, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, extra virgin olive oil, carrots in puree, celery in purée, salt and basil.

The new version now puts water as the second ingredient. It is thinned out and not chunky. For 130 calories you only get 1/2 cup, fat content is much higher as is sodium at 440, for a cup it would be 880.

I am getting whatever jars I can and will not be buying the new version.

It seems every time I find a product I like, it either gets changed or discontinued. Anyone experienced the same?

I have been cooking lots more. Does anyone have a great recipe for Marinara Sauce?

Yes! That happens to me all the time! I hate it!

No advice on the marinara sauce. Mine is pretty plain.