• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Mission Hills - Not Happy

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm here now. My first time staying here and really annoyed and disappointed.

The lighting is absolutely horrible. The fixture above the dining table has some sort of yellow-ish shade and just creates awful lighting.

The bathroom lighting is barely acceptable . How they think any woman could be happy with the lighting is beyond me.

And NO HAIR DRYERS??? Even low end hotels have hair dryers as "standard equipment".

The villa and resort just feels dated, tired, and dinged-up.

Really regretting my decision to stay here.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing -- a 4 cup coffee maker? Really? !

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Is the weather at least nice?

It does sound like a very disappointing resort. And I agree with you about the hair dryer. Did you ask if they can provide you with one? I've stayed at a couple of hotels where you had to ask.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the weather at least nice?

It does sound like a very disappointing resort. And I agree with you about the hair dryer. Did you ask if they can provide you with one? I've stayed at a couple of hotels where you had to ask.
I love you response - because I'm focusing on the absolutely perfect weather and scenery here! Especially since it's 9 degrees and snow in Chicago.

Bought a full sized $18 coffee maker at Target. And my friend brought a travel hair dryer with it so we are adapting!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I love you response - because I'm focusing on the absolutely perfect weather and scenery here! Especially since it's 9 degrees and snow in Chicago.

Bought a full sized $18 coffee maker at Target. And my friend brought a travel hair dryer with it so we are adapting!
A few years back I was in California helping my dd and sil move into a house they are renting. I was staying in a motel near by. The photos of the motel showed a wall mounted hair dryer. I checked in and the next morning took a shower and washed my hair. Then discovered, no hair dryer! I went to the office and reported that to the manager (or maybe he was the owner). Anyway he seemed to doubt my report and came back to the room with me. It looked like there had been a wall mounted unit, but it had been removed (maybe by a guest who wanted it?). Anyway he found me a small travel hair dryer and I used that until my dd located her hair dryer, which she didn't need, and I used that. So now I'm very careful and if it isn't stated that a hair dryer is provided I'll call ahead of time and ask if they provide one.

Enjoy your stay in the nice weather. We had a dump of another 6 inches of snow a couple of days ago. Even with an AWD and winter tires I got a bit stuck in our driveway today.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm here now. My first time staying here and really annoyed and disappointed.

The lighting is absolutely horrible. The fixture above the dining table has some sort of yellow-ish shade and just creates awful lighting.

The bathroom lighting is barely acceptable . How they think any woman could be happy with the lighting is beyond me.

And NO HAIR DRYERS??? Even low end hotels have hair dryers as "standard equipment".

The villa and resort just feels dated, tired, and dinged-up.

Really regretting my decision to stay here.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I am in total agreement. I used to enjoy staying at Westin Mission Hills until I discovered Marriott's Desert Springs I and II. The villas within Marriott's 2 properties are heads and shoulders above WMH's. MDS's villas are bright, new and have the latest technological stuff. I had been staying at MDS and then when I went back to WMH 2 years ago I was surprised as how I could even have liked it in the past - it is just dated and dreary.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed - I've been to WDW and think it's far better than Mission Hills. Not sure I decided to screw around and try something new.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We agree with you. We stayed at WMH many years ago and it was OK, but now that Vistana has WDW, we will always opt for that resort. We also own at Marriott’s DSV1 and love that resort, as well as DSVII, so won’t go back to WMH.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the area and weather. Have fun.

Best regards.

Mike

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Did you call housekeeping/managment?

It has been over 10 years since I stayed there, but they did have hair dryers when i was there....

Hope everything else with your visit is going well.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to learn of your experience. I am at WDW and moving to WMH shortly. We own and enjoy each of these unique properties. If you haven't already, please contact managment. Thankfully, you are out of the Chicago weather and in the sunshine again today!

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
WDW is newer so of course fewer dings and wear and tear. We like WDW better as well. Especially because the parking after 7pm is crazy at WMH.
As to the hair dryer, like many items it is suppose to be there so easily resolved by calling front desk. Lighting can be very personal and I can understand that being an issue. We like WMH and will be there in 7 weeks

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought WMH (developer) in 2004 and enjoyed going there until WDW was built in 2010. Never went back to WMH after that except maybe once or twice at most, instead always trading via SOs into WDW. We also stayed at Marriott DSV1 for the first time last summer. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
WMH MFs are just too high for what you get, especially for us since most of our desert stays are in the summer (low season, obviously). We signed the deedback papers for WMH a week ago, so final closing is in progress.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Like others, I haven’t stayed at WMH in ~10 years and don’t miss it. I stay at WDW every year instead and in general it’s a much nicer resort. I actually prefer their small 1-bed units and think it’s the best small 1-bed floor plan in the network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few of you have mentioned the Marriott property. Excuse my ignorance, but how are you booking in there? I am a Vistana owner and only book within the Vistana system. Are you using Interval? I have never done that -- seems so complicated from the comments I see here on TUG that I'm scared from attempting :)

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
A few of you have mentioned the Marriott property. Excuse my ignorance, but how are you booking in there? I am a Vistana owner and only book within the Vistana system. Are you using Interval? I have never done that -- seems so complicated from the comments I see here on TUG that I'm scared from attempting :)
Yes, it's an easy trade in Interval. You will have an exchange fee though. I love the thrill of exchanging but if you can just use SO to go to WDW, I would just do that. In the long run it will be less expensive and easier.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's an easy trade in Interval. You will have an exchange fee though. I love the thrill of exchanging but if you can just use SO to go to WDW, I would just do that. In the long run it will be less expensive and easier.
Thank you -- I have been to WDW in the past and really liked it. I'm a huge fan of WKV and WDW reminds me a lot of it. I don't know why I decided to try something new with WMH. Live & learn!

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
We very much enjoy WMH. The ability to use the HOTEL restaurant and pools is great. Also enjoy the long walking path along the beautiful golf course. The views are much better at WMH than WDW. WMH has a golf course view and WDW views are of the desert.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also use Interval's Getaways to book stays at Marriott (as well as other places), especially if it isn't during high season. I use Getaways to try out different places, and that's how I got the DSV1 stay last year.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add one more thing -- I see this is a cat 6 property. That's laughable. I shouldn't have to "call & ask" for a hair dryer at a cat 6.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok. There are many reasons to knock a property, but not having a hair dryer, in my opinion, regardless of category is extreme. I have stayed at ritz carltons and four seasons with items missing in a room. People all make mistakes and when one is easy to fix they should get a break, in my opinion.
Last year at WMH the kitchen faucet broke, water all over kitchen floor, they had it repaired in 90 minutes. Stuff happens.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ok. There are many reasons to knock a property, but not having a hair dryer, in my opinion, regardless of category is extreme.
Well it depends on whether the hair dryer was just missing (meaning there should have been one in the room and wasn't) or whether they don't provide them. If you're female you'll understand.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. There are many reasons to knock a property, but not having a hair dryer, in my opinion, regardless of category is extreme. I have stayed at ritz carltons and four seasons with items missing in a room. People all make mistakes and when one is easy to fix they should get a break, in my opinion.
Last year at WMH the kitchen faucet broke, water all over kitchen floor, they had it repaired in 90 minutes. Stuff happens.
It was the entire experience. I just feel the property is tired, worn down and not comparable to other Vistana properties.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like both for different reasons. When it's just me and the Mrs. we go to WMH, seems quieter. Plus I like the grill on the patio. With the kids, we go to WDW for the pools and activities.

As for the hair dryer, first chance it goes under the sink. Takes up counter space.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well it depends on whether the hair dryer was just missing (meaning there should have been one in the room and wasn't) or whether they don't provide them. If you're female you'll understand.
I have 3 daughters and a beautiful wife, trust me I understand!