• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham VIPP 2019 Usage - My Stats

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Just to share my usage patterns and value received from my VIPP Account I thought I would summarize my 2019 experience:

I own a VIPP Plat account, but only actually use 916,000 annually as I choose NOT to deposit my two PIC contract points into Wyndham, as I currently have enough points available. I also own HGVC, HICV and Tradewinds, and as they receive NO discounts I usually book those way in advance and leave Wyndham for last minute bookings. I also use Wyndham for my family and friends and that ends up using a lot of short reservations (so unlimited HK helps) and so does having 30 Guest Certificates (GC).

Booked: 90+ Reservations (no fees for VIPP - so I get a lot of value from this, as I do not worry about transaction fees or if I have to cancel, I went back and counted and I had 72 cancellations in 2019).
Actually Kept & Used: 21 Reservations

Notes about stays: I had 1 stay that took 3 reservations and 3 GCs to get the best discount/upgrade combo. And an second stay that took 2 reservations and 2 GCs to again get best discount/upgrade combo. All other stays required only a single reservation.

Number Days booked: 63 days, or 9 weeks
Avg Stay: 3 Days, Range from 1 day to 7 days (no fees as I have unlimited HK- so I get value from this too)

GC Used: 19 were used, 11 went unused. (I receive 30, so a lot of value from no fees)

Number of reservations that I received VIPP Discount: 20 of the 21

So out of 63 days reserved:
63% of my booking days I received BOTH a discount and an upgrade. (Bonnet Creek, Austin, San Antonio, Smoky Mountains, Destin)
29% of my bookings days I received ONLY a discount. (Ski Week, Clearwater, Smoky Mountains)
8% of my booking days I received NO discount or upgrade. Booked during SRP, and no availability to rebook during ERP. (Ski week)

Used 848,500 points
Received 2,263,500 points in equivalent value (by valuing units at their point chart value (and ignoring discounts or upgrades).

In additional to the point values, I also valued my saving at about $1500 in reservation fees, $1000 in Excess HK used fees, and $1500 in Guest Fees. Now my reservations fee might be less if I did not have unlimited, but I do, so that is a hard one to judge how my usage might be different, but it would be about 1/2 of what I do now I suspect. So can't claim that whole amount of reservation fees as real value received.

I even had points leftover that I did pay $ to move to another year. Which was the only additional fee, other than MF, that I paid all year.

So depending on how you use or plan to use your Wyndham account, having some level of VIP does add value. But how much value you can wring out of it will depend on if you can get an ROI that will work for you, considering what you would have to pay to obtain it.

For others who only book full weeks during ARP or at the opening of SRP, then having some VIP or now Privileges is likely of little value.

Last edited:

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
That looks like pretty good value to me. I have been on the fence for a while if it would be worth it to me. I feel like I would be like you though and most of my discount reservations would probably be friends and family so I would essentially be paying for them to get cheap vacations. And to be honest I'm a little afraid of commitment to anything and especially to Wyndham and once I fork over the money to be VIPP I know I'm looking at a min 10 years to feel like I'm ahead.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
VIPP 47 reservations in 2019. 47 at 50% Discount. 27 Upgrades. 18 GCs used. 27 wasted.
1,912,300 points spent. 1,912,300 points saved. Basically got 3,824,600 points worth.

I have updated my worksheet to show what the reservation would have cost a non-VIP.

My final calculations show my 1,912,300 points would have cost a non-VIP 5,177,700 points. So, my VIP gave me a multiplier effect of ~2.7. I am going to dub this VIP Coefficient!

Perhaps VIPs can now compare our VIP Coefficient and see how much bang we're getting for our bucks!

1579461561956.png

1579461476255.png

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to share my usage patterns and value received from my VIPP Account I thought I would summarize my 2019 experience:

I own a VIPP Plat account, but only actually use 916,000 annually as I choose NOT to deposit my two PIC contract points into Wyndham, as I currently have enough points available. I also own HGVC, HICV and Tradewinds, and as they receive NO discounts I usually book those way in advance and leave Wyndham for last minute bookings. I also use Wyndham for my family and friends and that ends up using a lot of short reservations (so unlimited HK helps) and so does having 30 Guest Certificates (GC).

Booked: 90+ Reservations (no fees for VIPP - so I get a lot of value from this, as I do not worry about transaction fees or if I have to cancel, I went back and counted and I had 72 cancellations in 2019).

Notes about stays: I had 1 stay that took 3 reservations and 3 GCs to get the best discount/upgrade combo. And an second stay that took 2 reservations and 2 GCs to again get best discount/upgrade combo. All other stays required only a single reservation.

Avg Stay: 3 Days, Range from 1 day to 7 days (no fees as I have unlimited HK- so I get value from this too)

GC Used: 19 were used, 11 went unused. (I receive 30, so a lot of value from no fees)

63% of my booking days I received BOTH a discount and an upgrade. (Bonnet Creek, Austin, San Antonio, Smoky Mountains, Destin)
29% of my bookings days I received ONLY a discount. (Ski Week, Clearwater, Smoky Mountains)
8% of my booking days I received NO discount or upgrade. Booked during SRP, and no availability to rebook during ERP. (Ski week)

Used 848,500 points
Received 2,263,500 points in equivalent value (by valuing units at their point chart value (and ignoring discounts or upgrades).

In additional to the point values, I also valued my saving at about $1500 in reservation fees, $1000 in Excess HK used fees, and $1500 in Guest Fees. Now my reservations fee might be less if I did not have unlimited, but I do, so that is a hard one to judge how my usage might be different, but it would be about 1/2 of what I do now I suspect. So can't claim that whole amount of reservation fees as real value received.

I even had points leftover that I did pay $ to move to another year. Which was the only additional fee, other than MF, that I paid all year.

So depending on how you use or plan to use your Wyndham account, having some level of VIP does add value. But how much value you can wring out of it will depend on if you can get an ROI that will work for you, considering what you would have to pay to obtain it.

For others who only book full weeks during ARP or at the opening of SRP, then having some VIP or now Privileges is likely of little value.
Sandi what do you calculate your $/1000 of points used to be?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
VIPP 47 reservations in 2019. 47 at 50% Discount. 27 Upgrades. 18 GCs used. 27 wasted.
1,912,300 points spent. 1,912,300 points saved. I haven't computed the additional points saved from Upgrades. It should be sizable.

View attachment 16427
SNA27 what was your cost for points booked $/1000 . By the way how do I get on your gift list? :ponder:

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That looks like pretty good value to me. I have been on the fence for a while if it would be worth it to me. I feel like I would be like you though and most of my discount reservations would probably be friends and family so I would essentially be paying for them to get cheap vacations. And to be honest I'm a little afraid of commitment to anything and especially to Wyndham and once I fork over the money to be VIPP I know I'm looking at a min 10 years to feel like I'm ahead.
I agree on the commitment its the monthly maintenance fees I don't want to pay of $150- $200 per month let alone $500-$2500. Add in even a minimum Sunk cost to become a VIP while counting on a 10 year pay back just doesn't add up for me. In 10 years much can change with unexpected circumstances or health issues. I know it is a investment on spending time with family and making memories. Paying as I go without a large commitment and no monthly fees works best for me.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandy what do you calculate your $/1000 of points used to be?

2019 - 1M account
Real hard $$ spent $7.03/1000
Value Received $2.64/1000
This includes all program fees as well.

I calculated Value Received costs to be equal to actual Real Hard $$ costs used divided by the value of the what I received.

I don't have the lowest MF around, but I don't have the highest either.

So how to you compare a VIP account to NON VIP account.

If you have one of the rockstar MFs without VIP perks you still would have additional costs related to transaction, HK, and GC fees into your hard $$ costs to find a true cost. Which I still figure VIP saves me $3-4K in additional fees per year. Assuming a 1M account and $3K in additional fees that would add about $3.00/1000 to your hard dollar costs. So a super low ($4/K or lower MF) non VIP is about the same annual hard dollar run rate as an average VIPP account. Problem is how many sub $4/K locations are there? Are resales really $0 acquisition cost on those super low MF locations.

Again valuing VIP all based on your acquisition cost and your year over year run costs. It may make sense to some it may NOT to others. It all depends on what is in an account, and how you plan on using it.

I have been VIPP for 15 years now. So there is not current decision and not buyers remorse. It is just calculate cost and on to the next item. I still have another 10 years before I plan on retiring, and the monthly run rate may be a consideration then.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
2019 - 1M account
Real hard $$ spent $7.03/1000
Value Received $2.64/1000
This includes all program fees as well.

I calculated Value Received costs to be equal to actual Real Hard $$ costs used divided by the value of the what I received.

I don't have the lowest MF around, but I don't have the highest either.

So how to you compare a VIP account to NON VIP account.

If you have one of the rockstar MFs without VIP perks you still would have additional costs related to transaction, HK, and GC fees into your hard $$ costs to find a true cost. Which I still figure VIP saves me $3-4K in additional fees per year. Assuming a 1M account and $3K in additional fees that would add about $3.00/1000 to your hard dollar costs. So a super low ($4/K or lower MF) non VIP is about the same annual hard dollar run rate as an average VIPP account. Problem is how many sub $4/K locations are there? Are resales really $0 acquisition cost on those super low MF locations.

Again valuing VIP all based on your acquisition cost and your year over year run costs. It may make sense to some it may NOT to others. It all depends on what is in an account, and how you plan on using it.
Yes value received cost is what I was looking for. The discounts you have received compared to what a rockstar non vip account pays still puts you at less then 1/2 their $/1000

Last edited:

Xcalibur

Reaction score

Used 848,500 points

I'm curious... Did you make most of your bookings in the VIP time window, or did you book, cancel, rebook? I'm curious if the changes made the last few years has opened up overall inventory...

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
What was your "cost per night"? Last year, as a NON VIP, with 238k points, I averaged 48.17 per night. My TOTAL cost in 2019 was 1108, I stayed 23 nights, with 4 reservations. ALL my stays were 1 BR DLX with exception of a 1 BR.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was your "cost per night"? Last year, as a NON VIP, with 238k points, I averaged 48.17 per night. My TOTAL cost in 2019 was 1108, I stayed 23 nights, with 4 reservations. ALL my stays were 1 BR DLX with exception of a 1 BR.
You did very well on the cost per night. Is this figure excluding the sunk cost to purchase and based on maintenance fees and any other costs associated with housekeeping or reservation transactions?

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
This includes everything except my INITIAL cost to purchase the points (I bought on ebay). I borrowed 14 HK points from 2020. 4 transactions=252 HK, I had 238.
My stays were: Daytona Ocean Walk 7 nights 1BR DLX, Cypress Palms 6 nights 1 BR DLX, Kingsgate Williamsburg 6 nights 1 BR suite and 4 nights Nashville 1 BR DLX.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
This includes everything except my INITIAL cost to purchase the points (I bought on ebay). I borrowed 14 HK points from 2020. 4 transactions=252 HK, I had 238.
My stays were: Daytona Ocean Walk 7 nights 1BR DLX, Cypress Palms 6 nights 1 BR DLX, Kingsgate Williamsburg 6 nights 1 BR suite and 4 nights Nashville 1 BR DLX.

I'm guessing your 6 night stays didn't include either a Friday or Saturday night in them which saved you a significant number of points. Also was the 4 night stay in Nashville Sunday-Thursday night cheaper weeknights so no weekend nights?

But that really doesn't matter because getting 23 nights and only 6 of them in a 1 BR suite out of 238,000 points is a very impressive use of the points. :banana: Any resale point owner and a number of VIP ones too would be doing that banana happy dance to get that many nights of out their points! It's even more impressive that all those resorts are in great locations; none that anyone would turn up their nose at. We've stayed at all of those resorts except for Kingsgate and it's on our list of places we plan to stay with our granddaughters and DIL this year even if our son doesn't have enough time off to be able to go with us.

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
The Ocean walk was 7 nights consecutive, so it included a fri/sat. The Cypress Palms was 6 nights, included Fri night. The Kingsgate 6 nights, included a Friday night. Nashville was sun-thurs. You ARE correct, I limit the weekends to save points. I did have 9950 points GO TO WASTE too. The Ocean walk was 102k, I could have been a little frugal there, but didn't.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm curious... Did you make most of your bookings in the VIP time window, or did you book, cancel, rebook? I'm curious if the changes made the last few years has opened up overall inventory...

I would guess that 75% of my bookings are during the discount period ONLY. On many occasions I will book before the discount period just to make sure I have something, but then monitor inventory going into the 2 month mark. In almost all of these situations I have been able to obtain what I want during the discount period. But these are not holiday weeks or super high demand weeks.

I book as I need, and if the opportunity to rebook during the discount period is available I rebook and cancel. Note NOT cancel and rebook, but rather rebook and cancel. I will often go through a few iterations to end up getting a discount and a free upgrade. Since I do not pay HK or Transaction I will often break a reservation into 2 bookings, as there is an opportunity to upgrade half of the reservation but not the second half. The is not a strategy that make sense if you don't have unlimited transactions and housekeeping. Even if I have two reservations they are usually very accommodating at the resorts, as it is better for them to not have to clean a room.

I had 1 reservation that never did appear back during the discount period.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
VIPP benefits apply during the 60-day window. So, it makes sense to me to book during that window to maximize VIP benefits if you're not particular about getting specific dates or unable to book reservations far into the future.
ARP is nice for getting specific dates if you can plan that far out into the future. I think ARP could be great for booking high-demand weeks for rentals, but I haven't tried that yet since Return on Points may not still be that great.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Of my 63 nights in 21 reservations. I have 49 nights in a 2 BR Deluxe stays, but a few are Lockoffs or Presidentials. I have 2 nights in a 1 BR D and 8 nights in a 3 BR Presidential or Plus and 4 nights in 4 BR Presidential. Almost all of my reservations include Fri and Sat night stays.

My average cost per night is $94.68

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
Of my 63 nights in 21 reservations. I have 49 nights in a 2 BR Deluxe stays, but a few are Lockoffs or Presidentials. I have 2 nights in a 1 BR D and 8 nights in a 3 BR Presidential or Plus and 4 nights in 4 BR Presidential. Almost all of my reservations include Fri and Sat night stays.

That's SUPER! Your staying in top tier units.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes I agree with Bob on the top tier units. I can compare it to the time I booked Old time alexandria and the 1 bedroom deluxe only cost me in $75 per night adjusted for cost of my Non VIP ownerships maintenance fees . The thursday night was not available for me to book with Wyndham so I booked a hotel room at the Hilton next door at a bargain rate of $149 per night. After taxes and all the added fees it came to almost $200 per night.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's SUPER! Your staying in top tier units.
I call this traveling for less. Staying in a 1 bedroom w/full kitchen,washer and dryer for 1/2 the cost of a hotel room.
1,912,300 points spent. 1,912,300 points saved. Basically got 3,824,600 points worth.

I have updated my worksheet to show what the reservation would have cost a non-VIP.

My final calculations show my 1,912,300 points would have cost a non-VIP 5,177,700 points. So, my VIP gave me a multiplier effect of ~2.7. I am going to dub this VIP Coefficient!

Perhaps VIPs can now compare our VIP Coefficient and see how much bang we're getting for our bucks!

View attachment 16450

View attachment 16449
I am still interested in getting on your gifted reservations list. Quit ignoring the question. What does one have to do to be gifted a reservation?

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
I call this traveling for less. Staying in a 1 bedroom w/full kitchen,washer and dryer for 1/2 the cost of a hotel room.

I am still interested in getting on your gifted reservations list. Quit ignoring the question. What does one have to do to be gifted a reservation?
Me too!

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

A lot or a little! It all depends! ;)
It's a quid pro quo of sorts to friends and others.
My quid costs me very little and my wife and I value their quo highly.
They think their quo is nothing at all and my quid is way too generous.
It's a win-win all around.:)

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot or a little! It all depends! ;)
It's a quid pro quo of sorts to friends and others.
My quid costs me very little and my wife and I value their quo highly.
They think their quo is nothing at all and my quid is way too generous.
It's a win-win all around.:)
You know how much it would lower my $/1000 to get one gifted reservation a year from you. Its better then burning the GC's.