• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible scam...has anyone heard of resorttransfergroupsales, apparently of St. Louis, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A timeshare was advertised on TUG on January 14 that said "Maintenance fees are current - taxes inculded (sic)...and "seller pays all closing cost"

I responded to the ad and was interested. I wanted to confirm the information on the ad and was told words to the effect of , "You're too much trouble. Either we proceed or I'll have to move on" (recognize that today is January 16 and all I did was ask simple questions in perhaps two or three emails yesterday and today, like for them to confirm the payment of maintenance fees). Knowing that whatever information I would have to sign would have to indicate that allegedly paid maintenance fee information, I said, "OK let's proceed. What do you need from me?"

I then got a laundry list of name, address, marital status, etc that I had to provide. Within minutes, I provided it, including a scanned copy of my driver's license.

They then asked for payment via Paypal (a VERY modest payment) and I paid.

An "estoppel" which appeared to have information from the resort had been sent to me followed by a docusign form that wanted me to acknowledge via signature that I had received the estoppel and that they had explained everything to me. The estoppel said, "Are the fees current: Y/N (no was circled) $721. Is this in collections? (Y/N) (yes was circled) Collection Agency: Internal.

Also, that the bi-annual maintenance fees were $446.90.

The estoppel certainly did not say "maintenance fees had been paid" so I asked again. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I figured maybe they would be paid or had been paid but simply hadn't yet been paid at the time they got the estoppel information from the resort.

The response: "all that was unpaid was the $7.21 (Note: the form sent to me did NOT have a decimal point there). That's obviously not maintenance fees. You're the most difficult person I ever dealt with. We'll have to cancel this."

The email I just sent to them:

-------------------------
"Ahhhh....now THAT'S different from what MY estoppel statement says. Mine says $721 (seven hundred twenty-one dollars). There's no evidence of a decimal point there.

What about the 2020 maintenance? Paid or unpaid? Your ad was a January 14 ad and maintenance fees were due January 1. So were they "paid" as your advertisement suggests?

And I strongly object to your saying I've been difficult. I've been completely responsive and the turnaround since yesterday should have been one of the quickest of your life. You, on the other hand, have been strangely evasive (such that I've become suspicious even though there may be no reason for suspicion).

So...two questions...I'll be liable for $7.21? OK, I'll pay that right away and you can satisfy the resort immediately.

And was the 2020 maintenance fee paid?

At this point, we have a legal, binding contract. I'm willing to abide by my obligations assuming there's no misrepresentation here.

Sincerely,

Andre"

--------------------------

Since then, silence.

So what do you think? Does this make sense to you? Would a $7.21 balance put the timeshare owner in collections or would it more likely be $721? Would a legitimate seller be this evasive after being asked the most basic simple questions? Would he/she attack me for being "difficult" after going from ad to paperwork to payment in two days?

This seller has also sold seven timeshares on ebay via "resortsalesgroup(7)" I found that by simply doing a search for their email address resorttransfergroupsalesgroup@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would gladly cancel the deal with them, assuming you have relayed the entire story. doesn't sound too "difficult" to me as far as what you have asked. I wouldn't want any balance myself.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well...one of my allegedly "difficult" questions may have been asking them their phone number so I could speak to them in person. No response aside from the "you're too difficult and we need to cancel"

I do want to buy if they're not misrepresenting anything. But they absolutely refuse to establish that. I've purchased timeshares before and that's never happened to me before.

I thought to find names of successful bidders on ebay so I could email them and ask for the company's address/phone number. But ebay does not allow you to message anyone on their bidder lists.

I'm angry because this happened on TUG, a website devoted to crusading against scams.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Well...one of my allegedly "difficult" questions may have been asking them their phone number so I could speak to them in person. No response aside from the "you're too difficult and we need to cancel"

I do want to buy if they're not misrepresenting anything. But they absolutely refuse to establish that. I've purchased timeshares before and that's never happened to me before.

I thought to find names of successful bidders on ebay so I could email them and ask for the company's address/phone number. But ebay does not allow you to message anyone on their bidder lists.

I'm angry because this happened on TUG, a website devoted to crusading against scams.

I don’t blame you for canceling. I don’t think any legit seller would not sell to a TS owner for being difficult. Usually, they’re very accommodating, or at least every one of my seven (7) TS sellers were.

I almost torpedoed my Williamsburg TS based on advice from the NY Bar ethics. Sumday did everything to make the deal go through, which it did. I’m now very happy.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You’d probably want to initiate a fraud alert with the three credit agencies.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s sad that the TS seller engaged in manipulative, browbeating, reverse psychology and TS-salesman behavior.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
A timeshare was advertised on TUG on January 14 that said "Maintenance fees are current - taxes inculded (sic)...and "seller pays all closing cost"

I responded to the ad and was interested. I wanted to confirm the information on the ad and was told words to the effect of , "You're too much trouble. Either we proceed or I'll have to move on" (recognize that today is January 16 and all I did was ask simple questions in perhaps two or three emails yesterday and today, like for them to confirm the payment of maintenance fees). Knowing that whatever information I would have to sign would have to indicate that allegedly paid maintenance fee information, I said, "OK let's proceed. What do you need from me?"

I then got a laundry list of name, address, marital status, etc that I had to provide. Within minutes, I provided it, including a scanned copy of my driver's license.

They then asked for payment via Paypal (a VERY modest payment) and I paid.

An "estoppel" which appeared to have information from the resort had been sent to me followed by a docusign form that wanted me to acknowledge via signature that I had received the estoppel and that they had explained everything to me. The estoppel said, "Are the fees current: Y/N (no was circled) $721. Is this in collections? (Y/N) (yes was circled) Collection Agency: Internal.

Also, that the bi-annual maintenance fees were $446.90.

The estoppel certainly did not say "maintenance fees had been paid" so I asked again. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I figured maybe they would be paid or had been paid but simply hadn't yet been paid at the time they got the estoppel information from the resort.

The response: "all that was unpaid was the $7.21 (Note: the form sent to me did NOT have a decimal point there). That's obviously not maintenance fees. You're the most difficult person I ever dealt with. We'll have to cancel this."

The email I just sent to them:

-------------------------
"Ahhhh....now THAT'S different from what MY estoppel statement says. Mine says $721 (seven hundred twenty-one dollars). There's no evidence of a decimal point there.

What about the 2020 maintenance? Paid or unpaid? Your ad was a January 14 ad and maintenance fees were due January 1. So were they "paid" as your advertisement suggests?

And I strongly object to your saying I've been difficult. I've been completely responsive and the turnaround since yesterday should have been one of the quickest of your life. You, on the other hand, have been strangely evasive (such that I've become suspicious even though there may be no reason for suspicion).

So...two questions...I'll be liable for $7.21? OK, I'll pay that right away and you can satisfy the resort immediately.

And was the 2020 maintenance fee paid?

At this point, we have a legal, binding contract. I'm willing to abide by my obligations assuming there's no misrepresentation here.

Sincerely,

Andre"

--------------------------

Since then, silence.

So what do you think? Does this make sense to you? Would a $7.21 balance put the timeshare owner in collections or would it more likely be $721? Would a legitimate seller be this evasive after being asked the most basic simple questions? Would he/she attack me for being "difficult" after going from ad to paperwork to payment in two days?

This seller has also sold seven timeshares on ebay via "resortsalesgroup(7)" I found that by simply doing a search for their email address resorttransfergroupsalesgroup@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.
resortsalesgroup has sold many contracts on eBay. 7 is the amount of buyers that have left feedback
There’s a thread in this forum on them & some are happy with them having a fairly fast transfer.
I’m in the transfer process on 2 contracts with them. It’s going slow but progressing along.
Agree that they could drastically improve their attitude when you have questions

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
This isn’t a deal worth fighting for.

Where was this ad on TUG? Seeing that you paid a nominal amount I would have thought it would be in the bargain bin forum but I don’t see it on January 14th.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Braindead, so do you have a phone number so I can call "Mariah"? Also an address?
Phone 314-686-4616 it’s Square One when they answer, just ask for Mariah & yes I’ve spoken to Mariah. Another phone #323-326-7154
Resort Transfer Group, LLC
1628 Jonquil Dr.
St. Louis, MO 63119

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Braindead.

And RX8, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for today. But then, after I call them, I'll let you know how it turned out.

So what's the potential scam? Theory: They're a timeshare exit company and they may, MAY (I'm still not certain but I can't imagine why they refuse to answer, "Have the 2020 maintenance fees been paid?"....absolute refusal. Response is that I'm the most difficult customer ever) be trying to get someone to accept ownership but the fees will not have been paid. So the unknowing buyer would, I would think, be subject to paying past due maintenance fees.

In other words, title has changed at the deed registry, but money is still owed on the real estate.

Can that be done? I dunno...but a simple answer would be nice.

Also, is it even in the realm of possibility that a resort would put someone in collections for seven dollars twenty-one cents. And that it's apparently NOT maintenance fees. So why put this person in collection? Isn't it more reasonable that it's $721?

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
With so many discrepancies and the seller's attitude, I'd run, not walk, away from this deal. There will always be another bargain.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke to Mariah and it was quite the experience. I repeated my request that I simply want to know what I'll have to pay at closing. OK...$7.21 and not $721. How about 2020 maintenance fees?

Her response: it's on the estoppel. Just look at the estoppel.

My response: I see what you claim is the 2020 bi-annual maintenance fees but it merely says $446.90. It doesn't say it's been paid. Has it been paid?

Her response: I have nothing to do with that. That comes direct from the resort. So I can't help what they say. I have nothing to do if they raise or lower the maintenance fee. That has nothing to do with me. Whatever they do, I have nothing to do with it.

Me: OK. But I wasn't asking what the resort may do in the future. I know there's nothing you know about that. I'm asking if the 2020 maintenance fees have been paid. It's obviously something of concern to a prospective customer.

Her: I don't know anything about that. That's handled by the closing department.

Me: Oh...so that amount will certainly be paid upon closing? For sure I wouldn't pay it?

Her: I know nothing about that. All I can say is that we have the estoppel. Just look at the estoppel.

Me: Yes...but that doesn't tell me if the maintenance fees have been paid. Who might be able to tell me that?

Her: Look. I'm going to hang up. There's no way I'm going to go forward if I think you're the type to make trouble. I'm canceling.

Me: I own at this resort. The manager is a friend of mine. Just tell me the unit # and I'll find out in five minutes.

Her: I can't tell you that. That's not something we tell people.

Me: I'm not sure I understand. Every customer will want to find out if they have to pay 2020 maintenance fees...or if they won't have to pay the 2020 maintenance fees.

Her: But like I keep telling you, you have the estoppel.

Me: But the estoppel doesn't say if they've been paid. Look. Can I speak to the owner?

Her: I AM the owner.

Me: Fine. So if the maintenance fees have not been paid, then your advertisement saying they've been paid is a misrepresentation. You can't say they're paid when they're unpaid. And do you really believe the owner is in collection for allegedly owing $7.21? Does that make any sense to you?

Her: It's not false advertsing. We advertise what we think. If it turns out it's not accurate, we'll find that out at closing.

Me: OK. So we can take care of it then is what I think you're saying Let's proceed.

Her: No. I've already decided you're too much trouble so I'm cancelling.

Me: I'm just trying to determine if you're defrauding people. If you're not, great. If you are, then I'll be talking to TUG, ebay, and Paypal.

Her: If you do that, I'll send you a "cease and desist" letter. I'm sending this to my legal department.

Me: Great. Let me talk to your legal department.

Her: No. This is too much trouble.

Me: I don't know what the trouble is...aside from your refusing to find out the precise amounts that are actually owed and whether or not I would be responsible for them. That's something all sellers would do except, apparently, you.

Her: I'm going to talk to someone. I'm putting you on hold.

I waited for a long time, there sounded like there was some transferring going on, and then I heard a dial tone.

So that's where we are. Sheesh!

The TUG ad to which I responded was:

So you've been forewarned. I have a bit too much Marine Corps in me to take this lying down. She's the owner of the company and can't find out if 2020 maintenance fees have been paid...or answer if I'd be liable for them if anything was unpaid? Because that's up to the resort to tell them. And their ad is unquestionably accurate (although it says maintenance fees have been paid). That's a logical impossibility to say that I don't know if they've been paid, I don't know if you'll have to pay them, but my advertisement is accurate.

By the way, according to the resort, bi-annual maintenance fees are not $469.10 but over $500. So the hand-written estoppel inormation (which she said she just got) does not appear to be accurate, either. The resort person I spoke to told me she never heard of someone being in collections for owing $7.21.

Bring on the cease and desist letter.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
You all are too kind. Taking at face value what OP is saying (and no reason not to), the first time they tried to tell me I was being difficult, I would have told them to pound sand.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just spoke to Mariah and it was quite the experience. I repeated my request that I simply want to know what I'll have to pay at closing. OK...$7.21 and not $721. How about 2020 maintenance fees?

My response: I see what you claim is the 2020 bi-annual maintenance fees but it merely says $446.90. It doesn't say it's been paid. Has it been paid?

Her response: I have nothing to do with that. That comes direct from the resort. So I can't help what they say. I have nothing to do if they raise or lower the maintenance fee. That has nothing to do with me. Whatever they do, I have nothing to do with it.

Me: OK. But I wasn't asking what the resort may do in the future. I know there's nothing you know about that. I'm asking if the 2020 maintenance fees have been paid. It's obviously something of concern to a prospective customer.

Her: I don't know anything about that. That's handled by the closing department.

Me: Oh...so that amount will certainly be paid upon closing? For sure I wouldn't pay it?

Her: I know nothing about that. All I can say is that we have the estoppel. Just look at the estoppel.

Me: Yes...but that doesn't tell me if the maintenance fees have been paid. Who might be able to tell me that?

Her: Look. I'm going to hang up. There's no way I'm going to go forward if I think you're the type to make trouble. I'm canceling.

Me: I own at this resort. The manager is a friend of mine. Just tell me the unit # and I'll find out in five minutes.

Me: I'm not sure I understand. Every customer will want to find out if they have to pay 2020 maintenance fees...or if they won't have to pay the 2020 maintenance fees.

Me: But the estoppel doesn't say if they've been paid. Look. Can I speak to the owner?

Me: Fine. So if the maintenance fees have not been paid, then your advertisement saying they've been paid is a misrepresentation. You can't say they're paid when they're unpaid. And do you really believe the owner is in collection for allegedly owing $7.21? Does that make any sense to you?

Her: It's not false advertsing. We advertise what we think. If it turns out it's not accurate, we'll find that out at closing.

Me: OK. So we can take care of it then is what I think you're saying Let's proceed.

Me: I'm just trying to determine if you're defrauding people. If you're not, great. If you are, then I'll be talking to TUG, ebay, and Paypal.

Her: If you do that, I'll send you a "cease and desist" letter. I'm sending this to my legal department.

Me: I don't know what the trouble is...aside from your refusing to find out the precise amounts that are actually owed and whether or not I would be responsible for them. That's something all sellers would do except, apparently, you.

I waited for a long time, there sounded like there was some transferring going on, and then I heard a dial tone.

So you've been forewarned. I have a bit too much Marine Corps in me to take this lying down. She's the owner of the company and can't find out if 2020 maintenance fees have been paid...or answer if I'd be liable for them if anything was unpaid? Because that's up to the resort to tell them. And their ad is unquestionably accurate (although it says maintenance fees have been paid). That's a logical impossibility to say that I don't know if they've been paid, I don't know if you'll have to pay them, but my advertisement is accurate.

By the way, according to the resort, bi-annual maintenance fees are not $469.10 but over $500. So the hand-written estoppel inormation (which she said she just got) does not appear to be accurate, either. The resort person I spoke to told me she never heard of someone being in collections for owing $7.21.

Collection agencies get half. I am pretty sure the amount is $721. I don’t even think collection agencies would trying to collect on a $72.10 bill.

Collection agencies usually go after the middle or upper-middle class. They get debtor’s income information and their credit scores. then they decide whom to call and bother. Usually, the amounts they go after are at least $100. It can take 30 minutes to talk to someone and get a cc payment.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Collection agencies get half. I am pretty sure the amount is $721. I don’t even think collection agencies would trying to collect on a $72.10 bill.

Collection agencies usually go after the middle or upper-middle class. They get debtor’s income information and their credit scores. then they decide whom to call and bother. Usually, the amounts they go after are at least $100. It can take 30 minutes to talk to someone and get a cc payment.
No. Not $72.10. She says $7.21 (seven dollars twenty-one cents). :)

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And that it's not maintenance fees so her ad was and is accurate. What the $7.21 was for, or what it's allegedly for, I have no clue.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Cease and desist letter = $300. Lol

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And that it's not maintenance fees so her ad was and is accurate. What the $7.21 was for, or what it's allegedly for, I have no clue.
My best guess. It’s the $447 in MF plus $274 in late fees.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even if the collections is $7.21, that means the MF are not current, and that the ad is misleading. Maybe I’ll get a cease and desist too.

There’s also an inconsistency in that it’s an odd year usage but 2020 usage is somehow available.

Attachments

• CE46B15B-A1BC-42F6-B928-181CADDF5F02.png
    CE46B15B-A1BC-42F6-B928-181CADDF5F02.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 61

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. I also saw that every other year odd inconsistency (with her claiming 2020 usage was possible). I asked that as well. No response. But apparently merely having asked about two or three simple questions like that, unanswered by her, made me "difficult".

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
resortsalesgroup has sold many contracts on eBay. 7 is the amount of buyers that have left feedback
There’s a thread in this forum on them & some are happy with them having a fairly fast transfer.
I’m in the transfer process on 2 contracts with them. It’s going slow but progressing along.
Agree that they could drastically improve their attitude when you have questions

Is your experience with the same company? The eBay seller Resort Sales Group that the OP identified through the email address has been a member of eBay for less than three months (only since October 2019). Their very first timeshare sale on eBay probably hasn't even closed yet. That is the reason for 7 feedback. One of the feedback was positive but the comments read negative by stating they hadn't even started closing a month after they paid.

Does anyone know the timeshare exit company behind this outfit?

I think it is a safe to say that most exit companies are sloppy at best, scam at worst, when it comes to disposing of the timeshares. They just want to be rid of it at all costs and if a few misrepresentations happen along the way, oh well.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they're scammers or just dumb. She wanted me to sign that I read and understood the estoppel which indicated that $721 past due plus this year's "every other year" MF of $469 was unpaid. Of course, I balked at doing so because the ad says the MFs-including taxes have been paid.

And she kept telling me, "Just look at the estoppel".

Yes, I saw the estoppel but I saw nothing about the $721 plus this year's MFs being paid.

That's when she gave me "it's $7.21 and not $721" and that amount is not MF so the ad is accurate.

As an aside, does that make sense? The estoppel indicated the owner was in collections Would he/she be in collections for $7.21? Would he not have paid $7.21 if that's all he owed in the first place?

But then she said she didn't know if this year's MF had been paid. And didn't know if I had to pay it. Despite that, she insisted the ad was still accurate.

Logically, how can the ad be unquestionably accurate about MFs having been paid when she didn't know they had been paid and didn't know if I had to pay them?

So...either it was deliberate fraud or this person, Mariah, the alleged boss, didn't appear to be too "intellectually astute" (to put it diplomatically).

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus...I called the resort...I already own there....and they said that $469 for EOY maintenance was incorrect. It is well over $500. You should see this hand-written estoppel. Looks like a kid filled it out.

So....it looks pretty fishy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.