• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should resale points get VIP benefits? (Please IGNORE the first 3 and pick among the last 6 Choices)

Should resale points qualify for VIP benefits?

• YES

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • NO

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • DON'T CARE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a VIP - YES

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • I am a VIP - NO

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • I am a VIP - DON'T CARE

• I am Not a VIP - YES

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I am not a VIP - NO

• I am not a VIP - DONT'CARE

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you please make your points without personal attacks? It's much better that way.

Do you really think I don't know the system uses the first points to expire?
If you have read my posts about it taking points from current use year instead of the bonus year and how I had to call owner care to shift points from bonus year to current year, you won't be making such statements.
Are you saying I don't have the experience to make comments about database design? What exactly is the experience you have about data and how to organize it?
When you start talking about different use years for retail & resale points indicates an inexperienced user to me because I also think if that idea was implemented it’d be a disaster for various reasons. I don’t mean that as a personal attack. In my opinion Saying someone is inexperienced isn’t any different than when I said Sandi Bo is a seasoned veteran owner. You took that as a personal attack & I apologize for that but it was definitely not intended that way

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
When you start talking about different use years for retail & resale points indicates an inexperienced user to me because I also think if that idea was implemented it’d be a disaster for various reasons. I don’t mean that as a personal attack. In my opinion Saying someone is inexperienced isn’t any different than when I said Sandi Bo is a seasoned veteran owner. You took that as a personal attack & I apologize for that but it was definitely not intended that way

I also said such a design would be klutzy. A total separation of retail and resale under separate ACCOUNTS will be more elegant, ime.
I appreciate your apology but it's best not to attribute any motives or traits to me as a person. It's best to stick to the topic without bringing us into the picture.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree on the needed experience. Look at Britannia, Sears along with many other retailers they were around a long time and had many experienced and knowledgeable associates. Where are they all today? New ideas and the disruptors of the way business was done in the past has changed the way business operate today. Embrace change and new ideas think about how easy life has become by doing so.
Others & I have embraced changes. It’s called point allocations, points are blind, points deposit.

Inexperience can sometimes take you backwards because they didn’t experience the past. Change to them has been a past experience to others.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
@HitchHiker71 ,

I just don't get ARP available points being kept track of in use-year records.. I could have 10 different CWS deeds and CWA to boot. How many accumulators will be set up? (And then there is the concept of RARP.)

I would guess that ARP reservation is much more complex and it could go like this:
First, check eligibility for ARP by looking for eligible deeds. I see such a query is being made when you try to make a reservation past the 10-month window.
If it passes eligibility then the website actually sends the reservation request to the backend where available points for ARP has to be determined before a reservation can be made.
First look at the total points available in the use-year, Reject reservation if points are not sufficient.

Get the sum of all CWS points eligible for ARP at that resort. Get the sum of all CWA points.
Get the sum of all ARP reservations made at that resort and other Resorts for CWA. Keep track of CWS points and CWA points separately.
If Member has only CWS, get CWS balance. If Member has both CWS and CWA, then apply needed logic to compute the Balance.
If the balance is sufficient, make the ARP reservation otherwise Reject.

I can see some complex logic required here. No big deal. If the rules are clear, the logic will be clear. (I haven't even addressed RARP here).

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
@HitchHiker71 ,

I just don't get ARP available points being kept track of in use-year records.. I could have 10 different CWS deeds and CWA to boot. How many accumulators will be set up? (And then there is the concept of RARP.)

I would guess that ARP reservation is much more complex and it could go like this:
First, check eligibility for ARP by looking for eligible deeds. I see such a query is being made when you try to make a reservation past the 10-month window.
If it passes eligibility then the website actually sends the reservation request to the backend where available points for ARP has to be determined before a reservation can be made.
First look at the total points available in the use-year, Reject reservation if points are not sufficient.

Get the sum of all CWS points eligible for ARP at that resort. Get the sum of all CWA points.
Get the sum of all ARP reservations made at that resort and other Resorts for CWA. Keep track of CWS points and CWA points separately.
If Member has only CWS, get CWS balance. If Member has both CWS and CWA, then apply needed logic to compute the Balance.
If the balance is sufficient, make the ARP reservation otherwise Reject.

I can see some complex logic required here. No big deal. If the rules are clear, the logic will be clear. (I haven't even addressed RARP here).
You don’t cover the upgrade & unit request options along with GCs, RTs, HK credits & point deposit would come into play on every reservation no matter what timeframe the reservation is for from ARP to same day reservations. Every single reservation needs to know if your using retail or resale no matter what to keep track of all of those items plus some I’ve probably skipped

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are things Wyndham can do to recoup some money to help maintain the "capital infusion"....such as have a much higher "transfer fee" for resale points, say a certain dollar value per 1k points, or similar. Example, 29.95/1k resale transfer cost...126k contract would cost a resale buyer 3774 in transfer fees, above what they paid for the resale contract. That way Wyndham would be getting a much larger slice of the pie off of resale than they are now.
Your theory is good only if Wyndham has buyers for all this excess inventory. The high cost transfer fee would hurt more than help. Who would pay maintenance fees on the deeds many would walk away from because there's no cost resale buyers. What happens when Wyndham stops taking deeds back with Ovation in the next recession? Wyndham doesn't want the expense of paying maintenance fees on inventory they can't sell?. No cost resale deeds are a important part of the system and without these buyers who would be stuck with the bill on the deeds people just walk away from because the high transfer fee has priced many resale buyers out of the market?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You don’t cover the upgrade & unit request options along with GCs, RTs, HK credits & point deposit would come into play on every reservation no matter what timeframe the reservation is for from ARP to same day reservations. Every single reservation needs to know if your using retail or resale no matter what to keep track of all of those items plus some I’ve probably skipped

Yes. Lots more comes into play. I was just showing a tiny bit of the logic needed to show keeping track of ARP points availability in the use-year record won't do the trick.

With separate accounts for resale and retail, all reservations in the retail account will use retail points and all reservations in the resale account will use resale points.

I am going to write some pseudocode to explore the complexity of ARP. The code will be much more elegant with properly architected data structures.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, it's a lot more complex. Not complicated.

1579224442127.png

1579224495506.png

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you say @dgalati would do that? Based on watching this poll, I assumed @dgalati voted NON-VIP - DON'T CARE. or NON-VIP YES. Only just now, I see 1 vote for NON-VIP - NO.
Looks like 8 other VIPs voted No. Very interesting!