• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel my contract - Help with address needed!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@CaptAdam, Under the buying and selling forum there is a stickie on how to rescind. Here is a direct link https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

The clock is ticking to legally rescind your contract. Good news is you just bought yesterday so you have time. There is a sample letter you can use to write yours. It doesn’t need to be typed. Ensure all parties to the contract sign it. The address for rescinding will be in the contract. Mail it USPS today, if you can but Monday would be fine too, certified mail and save the proof of mailing. Doesn’t matter when they receive it only when you mailed it. That is why you need to save your proof. Next step is to wait up to 45 days for any refunds. By law, they must process your rescission. HGVC will do the right thing. Do not go back to the sales department as they will do their best to try to keep you from rescinding.

To answer your last question we need more info. You ask how to become a member but you also state you bought a timeshare you don’t want. If it is a timeshare you want but only at resale prices then take your time and research, research and then research some more before making a decision. There are many brands, locations, styles of timeshares and what you think you want today may not be the same after you research. I took 1.5 years before I eventually bought a timeshare. To start, there is a questionnaire in the buying and selling forum that you can complete and post and you will get advice from experienced timeshare owners.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Please help! I just bought a timeshare that I don’t want at HGVC Orlando! Yesterday! I check out tomorrow. How exactly can I rescind and how exactly can I become a member?
Look for the rescission address in your instructions. If both you and your SO signed the TS contract, be sure the rescission letter has both your names and signatures.

mind sharing how much you’d save with rescission?

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Please help! I just bought a timeshare that I don’t want at HGVC Orlando! Yesterday! I check out tomorrow. How exactly can I rescind and how exactly can I become a member?
Welcome to TUG. We are here to help and give you advice. Both @RX8 and @Grammarhero have provided advice on rescinding. I would suggest that you take care of that item first before doing anything else. After that is complete, then you can research if a TS is right for you.

If you were asking about joining TUG - refer to this link.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@CaptAdam, Under the buying and selling forum there is a stickie on how to rescind. Here is a direct link https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

The clock is ticking to legally rescind your contract. Good news is you just bought yesterday so you have time. There is a sample letter you can use to write yours. It doesn’t need to be typed. Ensure all parties to the contract sign it. The address for rescinding will be in the contract. Mail it USPS today, if you can but Monday would be fine too, certified mail and save the proof of mailing. Doesn’t matter when they receive it only when you mailed it. That is why you need to save your proof. Next step is to wait up to 45 days for any refunds. By law, they must process your rescission. HGVC will do the right thing. Do not go back to the sales department as they will do their best to try to keep you from rescinding.

To answer your last question we need more info. You ask how to become a member but you also state you bought a timeshare you don’t want. If it is a timeshare you want but only at resale prices then take your time and research, research and then research some more before making a decision. There are many brands, locations, styles of timeshares and what you think you want today may not be the same after you research. I took 1.5 years before I eventually bought a timeshare. To start, there is a questionnaire in the buying and selling forum that you can complete and post and you will get advice from experienced timeshare owners.

Good information.

I might add that you may want to rent timeshares for awhile to decide whether you really want a long term commitment. That way, you can try different properties and different resorts first.

TUG, Redweek and other sites have timeshares for rent and (many times) with competitive pricing. It’s a nice way to dip your toe in the water before you do a full plunge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meimei_May

TUG Member
Reaction score
I add the codeword. Why am I still showing as a Guest? Maybe it will take a while to get updated.

pedmetric

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany
Hello All,

We did the same thing. We signed the contract in Hawaii for Tuscany florida on Dec 30 2019 and after getting home and speaking to someone at office realised that we did something lol..

Date contract signed: Dec 30 3019
Rescission letter sent: Jan 2 2020
The letter still in transit.

I think the letter will go thereafter 7days period is expired but I think the date we snet is important, right?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello All,

We did the same thing. We signed the contract in Hawaii for Tuscany florida on Dec 30 2019 and after getting home and speaking to someone at office realised that we did something lol..

Date contract signed: Dec 30 3019
Rescission letter sent: Jan 2 2020
The letter still in transit.

I think the letter will go thereafter 7days period is expired but I think the date we snet is important, right?
Congrats on rescinding. It’s the postmark date that is legally operative. Be sure that if both your and your SO signed the TS contract, that you both signed the rescission letter. Mind sharing how much you saved with rescission?

pedmetric

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany
Congrats on rescinding. It’s the postmark date that is legally operative. Be sure that if both your and your SO signed the TS contract, that you both signed the rescission letter. Mind sharing how much you saved with rescission?

Yes we did sign it with all the information and first two pages of original contract attached.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes we did sign it with all the information and first two pages of original contract attached.
Be sure to send USPS-certified too. Mind sharing how much rescission would save you?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And believe or not, I even took some serious negotiation classes and still been talked into this. Can't wait the post office open tomorrow. !
Oh boy, if you took serious negotiation classes, I bet HGVC or any developer would love to hire you as their closer. JK! :devilish:

Meimei_May

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded the signature of recipient. I would also like to call HGVC to follow up. Does any one happen to know which number that I shall call? Thanks again for all the help. :)

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just downloaded the signature of recipient. I would also like to call HGVC to follow up. Does any one happen to know which number that I shall call? Thanks again for all the help. :)
Do not call HGVC. They will try to get you to buy again. Just wait patiently for the refund, which is legally required within 45 days.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

They are legally bound to rescind, but not to give updates on the process. HGVC is very good on keeping with the law. You will get your recession.

Meimei_May

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remembered one thing at the table that they forced me to write down some good reasons of why I bought the TS. Can they use this to be against me about my cancellation?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@Meimei_May No they cannot. You exercised your right to rescind and they can’t take that away from you for any reason.

pedmetric

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany
I just checked tracking this morning and shows its still in transit.
I sent it on 2nd but guess its taking longer..

I am worried they get it after 7 days and create a problem ???

It does say following:
It’s a busy delivery time. Please track your package on this site or the app and keep a clear, safe path for all deliveries and holiday guests.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

It does say following:
It’s a busy delivery time. Please track your package on this site or the app and keep a clear, safe path for all deliveries and holiday guests.
As long as its postmarked by 7 days I believe. So keep the proof you sent it within 7 days. You should be all set. Be prepared to hear nothing back from them. My mother just went through it last month. She rescinded, heard nothing, then the money back in her account.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It does say following:
It's the post-mark date, not the date of receipt, that is legally operative.

Meimei_May

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as its postmarked by 7 days I believe. So keep the proof you sent it within 7 days. You should be all set. Be prepared to hear nothing back from them. My mother just went through it last month. She rescinded, heard nothing, then the money back in her account.
Thanks for sharing. The silent and patient waiting would be pailful if without knowing these successful rescission cases.

pedmetric

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany

Did you know how long it took for her to get money back? They will be removing 10% from my CC on Jan 13 th 2020?? I dont want that money to go out :(

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Did you know how long it took for her to get money back? They will be removing 10% from my CC on Jan 13 th 2020?? I dont want that money to go out :(
Not that long. Possibly a week or two