• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What’s wrong with this picture?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So we spent a quick weekend in Las Vegas. Stayed at the WorldMark on LV Boulevard. I needed to iron a shirt, and hunted for a convenient outlet to plug in the iron.

Anybody else think this is just ever-so-slightly a serious violation of electrical codes, and perhaps even, oh, I don’t know, maybe DANGEROUS as hell???

Dave

65E6A6A5-526B-41D8-A2D7-FA5FEB15B1F2.jpeg

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That CAN'T meet code!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Violation of the code?

Could be wrong but, probably not.

Dangerous as hell?

I would say, yes. I would hope the breaker would flip first though.

Keep in mind it's Vegas. People are looking for shock and adventure. :eek:

Oh yea, I have seen sloppier electrical work.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
ROFL...does it have a GFI on it? Were you using the granite counter top as the ironing board or was an ironing board supplied at least?

GFCI on the opposite kitchen wall. No idea if it’s the same circuit. But this design allows aiming the faucet sprayer right into the outlet. :O

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At least there is a plug there. Too many times I want to plug something in or charge something and there is no ideal place to lay it down. The island would be the perfect spot, but there is never a plug there. They really should put one on the end, too often I have to plug something in in the hallway or entryway and just sit whatever I am charging on the floor. A plug on an obscure wall is really only good for housekeeping to vacuum.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
If it is on a GFCI it MIGHT meet code.

You can test it by plugging something in and pushing the TEST button on the GFCI outlet and see if it kills power on that outlet too.

It is always worth testing because just because it is SUPPOSED to be protected doesn't mean some ham-fisted maintenance person didn't hook it to the wrong line at some time. Years ago, there was a girl that was electrocuted at Orange Lake retrieving her golf ball from a mini-golf water hazard.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If it is on a GFCI it MIGHT meet code.

You can test it by plugging something in and pushing the TEST button on the GFCI outlet and see if it kills power on that outlet too.

It is always worth testing because just because it is SUPPOSED to be protected doesn't mean some ham-fisted maintenance person didn't hook it to the wrong line at some time. Years ago, there was a girl that was electrocuted at Orange Lake retrieving her golf ball from a mini-golf water hazard.
It doesn't look like a GFI outlet. GFI usually have a rectangular cutout. This one is clearly a standard "round" outlet with no GFI test button.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It doesn't look like a GFI outlet. GFI usually have a rectangular cutout. This one is clearly a standard "round" outlet with no GFI test button.
If they are in parallel with the GFCI as the first outlet, they are protected. It was the the same when the GFCI was in the breaker box.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Go
If they are in parallel with the GFCI, they are protected. It was the the same when the GFCI was in the breaker box.
Got it. So if there is even a single GFCI plug on a circuit, that GFCI would trip if something plugged in to the non GFCI outlet fell into a sink full of water?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
ROFL...does it have a GFI on it? Were you using the granite counter top as the ironing board or was an ironing board supplied at least?

It isn't visible in the picture, but there is an ironing board on the other side of the counter. It worked well.

I used this outlet to power the iron to press my shirt, and made sure nobody turned on the water while I was doing so. Whether this outlet is legal or not, it seems so dangerous.

Dave

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Got it. So if there is even a single GFCI plug on a circuit, that GFCI would trip if something plugged in to the non GFCI outlet fell into a sink full of water?
Yes. We have ONE GFCI outlet in the garage, but it controls the outlets in the front porch, back porch and the bathrooms.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Go

Maybe, as DrQ indicated, all the other outlets would need to be wired to the LOAD lead on the GFCI outlet, hence the suggestion to test it.

GFCI outlet packs you buy at HD, etc come with a strip of stickers that are supposed to be placed on all the standard outlets that are also protected on the LOAD side of the GFCI.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrQ

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Hey, Dave--while you were in Las Vegas did you check out the new Costco in Henderson?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hey, Dave--while you were in Las Vegas did you check out the new Costco in Henderson?

Funny you should mention that. We did swing by for a quick walk-through Saturday afternoon. It was really busy. What a HUGE warehouse!

I say "Funny you should mention it" because as we walked up to the Costco door, I was saying how this looked awfully familiar. We realized last June, when we flew through Las Vegas (to spend a couple of days checking out Mesquite), we had zoomed past the SW Henderson Costco on our way to the airport the day we flew home. We spent a couple of minutes checking it out then, but we had totally forgotten that until this Saturday, when we walked in there again.

You're lucky, Karen, it's a GREAT looking warehouse! :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
At least there is a plug there. Too many times I want to plug something in or charge something and there is no ideal place to lay it down. The island would be the perfect spot, but there is never a plug there. They really should put one on the end, too often I have to plug something in in the hallway or entryway and just sit whatever I am charging on the floor. A plug on an obscure wall is really only good for housekeeping to vacuum.

Many of the new Table Lamps have plugs.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the new lamps in Marriott’s resorts will have the following built into their table lamp; a regular plug outlet and an outlet plug device to charge your cellphone or tablet.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes. We have ONE GFCI outlet in the garage, but it controls the outlets in the front porch, back porch and the bathrooms.
There are also GFCI circuit breakers that protect every outlet on that circuit -- no GFCI outlets needed.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody else think this is just ever-so-slightly a serious violation of electrical codes, and perhaps even, oh, I don’t know, maybe DANGEROUS as hell???
Yes, it definitely looks weird, but not a violation of electrical codes in Las Vegas, NV provided the circuit is GFCI protected and that no outlet on the kitchen countertop is more than 24 inches away from any point on the countertop. Relevant codes bolded.

Other circumstances not pictured may apply.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING & SAFETY GUIDELINE FOR SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING (SFD) ELECTRICAL MATERIALS AND APPLICATIONS

KITCHENS:

9. In kitchens of dwelling units, the Code requires at least two (2) small appliance circuits, serving counter top receptacles.

10. No space on kitchen counter tops shall be more than 24" measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet.

11. All receptacles that are installed to serve kitchen countertop surfaces, and/or within 6’ from the top insdie edge of the bowl of the sink shall be GFCI protected, including island counter tops (2017 NEC 210.8).

12. Permanently installed appliances, such as microwaves, must be on a dedicated 20 amp circuits.

13. At least one receptacle outlet is required at each island and/or peninsula countertop space with a long dimension of 24” or greater and a short dimension of 12” or greater (2017 NEC 210.52(c)(2) & 210.52(c)(3).

I cannot think of anything I would plug into the outlet. There must have been at least a half dozen other outlets to plug an iron into. Unless one was making flatcakes, of course. :D

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

I stopped in there a couple of weeks ago also, very nice warehouse. We were in Vegas and the night before leaving for Sedona the TPMS light came on in the car. We stopped there to check the tires and gas up. The young man working in the tire shop was very helpful, he topped off all the tires and checked them for nails, luckily found nothing. He said it was probably the cold weather, it snowed up near Flagstaff later in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro