• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I join RCI for 30 Trading Power

Should I join RCI as get free 30 trading points otherwise my points expire

• Total voters

pmdpmk3

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royalton, possible RCI
I have points in travelsmart that expire end of year I can transfer over (get 30 in trading power) for $250 +$99 RCI membership. I don't know much about RCI but I'll have 30 Trading power and it will cost me $350 to get set up. Is it worth it to join as is there a fee to use the trading powers and when you use them is there resort fees or booking fees? I called RCI but they don't give me a straight answer since I'm not a member and I don't even know how much availability is in the states and what I would be able to book so hard to jump into it for $350 and I might never use it.
What is the estimated value of 30 trading points? Can you buy more or sell trading points?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I have points in travelsmart that expire end of year I can transfer over (get 30 in trading power) for $250 +$99 RCI membership. I don't know much about RCI but I'll have 30 Trading power and it will cost me $350 to get set up. Is it worth it to join as is there a fee to use the trading powers and when you use them is there resort fees or booking fees? I called RCI but they don't give me a straight answer since I'm not a member and I don't even know how much availability is in the states and what I would be able to book so hard to jump into it for $350 and I might never use it.
What is the estimated value of 30 trading points? Can you buy more or sell trading points?
I say no. You really have to learn how to use RCI. It’s a major learning curve. Plus, I don’t think you’d get the total 30. Since it’s so close to the end of the year, you might get 15.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you did get 30, you could get a nice trade along the gulf coast of Florida except for the most prime months, and something along the east coast too by putting in an ongoing search. The trade would cost an additional $239. You also could probably grab a bonus week but not in prime location in prime season.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
There’s no guarantee that you will receive 30 TPU. You can receive as low as 14, given its close to the end of the year. For my 26 TPU, if I deposit at the do use year, I’d only get 12.

Attachments

• 88A9D86D-EE8A-4740-B79C-5FD1404B6A26.png
    88A9D86D-EE8A-4740-B79C-5FD1404B6A26.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 22

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have extra vacation time you can take that you don't have a good use for right now? If you are letting points expire, chances are good that you will have more timeshare assets for the next few years than you can possibly use. In that case, it doesn't make sense to pay more money to have even more timeshare assets.

On the other hand, if you imagine wanting to take more vacation than you currently have assets for, this might be a way to extend some and turn them into something useful.

pmdpmk3

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royalton, possible RCI
I was told I'd get 30 points then if I join RCI good for a year (I could also buy 2 year membership for $189). I probably could use them during week in summer if they have availability in Maine, Alaska or somewhere like that. I just don't know availibility using trading power but heard it's better then weeks or points so it may work out. I'll have to look into it more

pmdpmk3

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royalton, possible RCI
If you did get 30, you could get a nice trade along the gulf coast of Florida except for the most prime months, and something along the east coast too by putting in an ongoing search. The trade would cost an additional $239. You also could probably grab a bonus week but not in prime location in prime season.
When you mean trade do you mean a booking fee to use 30 trading power units? As the transfer from my time share to trading power costs $250 so I'm not sure what $239 is

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Assuming you actually get the full 30tpu by paying $350, that's a pretty good cost for TPU. In order to use any of those TPU, you'll have to pay a $239 exchange fee on each booking. If you find a week you're interested in that's 14tpu, it'll cost you an extra $239 to book that week. You'd have 16tpu left to book additional weeks, but each week you book will incur that $239 fee. If you used it all on one week, you'd only pay a single $239 exchange fee.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There’s no guarantee that you will receive 30 TPU. You can receive as low as 14, given its close to the end of the year. For my 26 TPU, if I deposit at the do use year, I’d only get 12.

@Grammarhero, RCI has a program that allows for restoration of trading power that is lost due to a late deposit. The fee for it is currently $69. Worth knowing about it as it would get you the 14 TPU for $69 if you're ever in that situation; helpful when you take over a TS with a soon-to-expire week that hasn't been deposited.

RCI Deposit Restore SM Guidelines

1.1. RCI Weeks Members who deposit a Week less than 271 days before the start date of such Week may receive a lower Deposit Trading Power for such Week in accordance with Trading Power Adjustment Schedule. The RCI Deposit Restore product allows RCI Weeks Members to deposit a Week less than 271 days before the start date of such Week (but at least 15 days prior to the start date of such Week) and receive the full Deposit Trading Power for such Week by purchasing the optional RCI Deposit Restore at the time of deposit. RCI Weeks Members whose Weeks are deposited by their resort and who wish to avail themselves of this option must purchase the RCI Deposit Restore product before the end of the next Business Day after receiving notice that the Week has been deposited by the resort into the member’s RCI account.

1.2. In order for an RCI Weeks Member to be eligible for the RCI Deposit Restore benefit, the applicable Weeks Membership must be current and paid in full at the time the RCI Deposit Restore benefit is requested.

1.3. Deposit Restore may be cancelled for a refund before the close of the next Business Day after the date of purchase. Upon cancellation of Deposit Restore the Deposit for which the Deposit Restore product was purchased will receive a Deposit Trading Power based on the date of the Deposit in accordance with the Trading Power Adjustment Schedule.

1.4. RCI in its sole discretion may waive or modify certain of these guidelines for RCI Members who are Platinum Members. Please see the RCI Platinum Membership Tier Rules for additional details.